Start by marking “The Leader's Guide to Storytelling: Mastering the Art and Discipline of Business Narrative” as Want to Read:

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  17 reviews
How leaders can use the right story at the right time to inspire change and actionThis revised and updated edition of the best-selling book "A Leader's Guide to Storytelling" shows how storytelling is one of the few ways to handle the most important and difficult challenges of leadership: sparking action, getting people to work together, and leading people into the future. ...more
Published January 21st 2011 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Leader's Guide to Storytelling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Leader's Guide to Storytelling

Colin Pearce
I am not convinced that business is really ready for narrative. I like where Denning is coming from but my experience says it's an uphill battle getting anyone to swallow the pill.

Mohammed AlHelaibi
It's a good read definitely. I tell stories differently now. Rather than telling people a story of how they should do it, I inspire them to write their own.
Kristin
Oct 03, 2014 Kristin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
I saw this in BN. It obviously continues on my storytelling theme. We'll see what he teaches me that Annette Simmons didn't!
André Gomes
I have built some slides about it as a book review: http://www.slideshare.net/andrefaria/...
David
Put away the PowerPoint slides: Getting things done in business requires much more than hard facts and PowerPoint presentations -- it requires the ability to persuade, motivate and convince. Denning does a fantastic job demonstrating how to do this through storytelling - making your audience (your boss, teammates, customers) get involved in your idea, allowing them to put themselves into your story. Presentation slides have become a frustrating crutch -- few remember (or even trust) your numbers ...more
Alyssa Summers
As innovative enterprises adopt business wide agile practices - this book describes the required culture and leadership necessary to foster business in the next economies. This book is a fantastic resource.
Paul Lanigan
Not a bad book but it never ceases to amaze me why so few story telling books are written in narrative form.......why not talk the talk
Mohammed alkindy
Another perspective on story telling in management setup as story lover, real story it was interest g to one how good story telling and performing it can have an impact in an organization
Wm
Very good -- almost four stars. And I totally agree with the basic concepts (although note that good business narrative flows from [and can support:] good business strategy). It just seems like there should be some more interesting stories told in the text and a broader set of examples from business as well as from the world of professional storytelling.
Ronschae4
An excellent resource for purposeful communicators! I'm looking forward to using these concepts in my own presentations and speeches. It's easy to see how great storytelling communicators (elected officials, business leaders, pastors, etc.) rise to the top of our awareness.
Gene
This book was too academic and text-booky for me. I like them to be more casual in tone rather than academic. I like learning, but just not in that more formal style...
Tim
I couldn't get through it in the amount of time I had with it. For a book on storytelling, it really didn't flow. I was pretty disappointed.
Iryna Ternova
I took many useful advices...this book will definitely change the way I present my ideas and engage people in change process.
Stephen
Read APR 2007

Good resource to understand how to weave stories into the corporate setting.
Rebecca
Intrigued by the idea of "business narrative."
Alan
Read Sources of Power instead.
Derek Archer
Derek Archer marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Ewen
Ewen marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Nolen
Nolen marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Carey Adams
Carey Adams marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Willian
Willian marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Jamie Jackson
Jamie Jackson marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Zoltán Csapó
Zoltán Csapó marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Marko
Marko marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Tim Costas
Tim Costas is currently reading it
Jan 01, 2015
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • Teaching with Fire: Poetry That Sustains the Courage to Teach
  • Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
  • The Art And Science Of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework For Effective Instruction
  • StoryBranding: Creating Stand-Out Brands Through The Power of Story
  • Storycatcher: Making Sense of Our Lives through the Power and Practice of Story
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • Visible Learning: A Synthesis of Over 800 Meta-Analyses Relating to Achievement
  • Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills
  • Improving Your Storytelling: Beyond the Basics for All Who Tell Stories in Work or Play
  • The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage
  • Gemba Kaizen: A Commonsense, Low-Cost Approach to Management
  • Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes & Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
  • Authenticity: What Consumers Really Want
  • Managing
  • Comprehension & Collaboration: Inquiry Circles in Action
  • The Exceptional Presenter: A Proven Formula to Open Up and Own the Room
  • The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their Organizations
The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century Squirrel Inc.: A Fable of Leadership Through Storytelling The Secret Language of Leadership: How Leaders Inspire Action Through Narrative The Springboard The Springboard