Start by marking “Tales of Adam” as Want to Read:
Tales of Adam

Tales of Adam

Ever since the publication of Ishmael in 1992, readers have yearned for a glimpse into a dimension of spiritual revelation the author only hinted at in that and later books. Now at long last they have it in seven profound but delightfully simple tales that illuminate the world in which humans became humans. This is a world seen through animist eyes: as friendly to human li ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Steerforth (first published October 18th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Adam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Adam

Meghan Hasselberg-Reitz
One of Daniel Quinn's better books I believe. Short....biblical in a sense, but read beyond the words and there is something much more to learn there. I definitely recommend this book to anyone wanting a taste of Quinn's writing.....maybe to then get them ready for "Ishmael."
Keith
Feb 09, 2008 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
some short tales omitted from Ishmael during the process of writing the final version... sort of like the 'deleted scenes' you get on dvds these days. Adam teaches his son Abel about living in harmony with the world through a series of stories within these stories. (not the biblical Adam, an early hunter gatherer)
Rachel
Dec 07, 2015 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a short collection of tales where Adam is teaching his son Abel things he needs to know in order to be a hunter and a man. In that regard, it rather reminded me of Aesop's Fables because each of Adam's tales has a lesson in it. However, this book is full of pagan/New Age ideas about "the gods" and how everything and everyone are part of "the gods" and are destined to return to "the flames" or the force of life and then return as something else, more or less. It also espouses the ideas of ...more
Adeline S.
As with all of Daniel Quinn's books, this was a wonderful representation of the human situation. A new take on the bible, "Tales of Adam" is told through seven short stories in which Adam teaches his son Abel about the path of life. Through fables and many clever metaphors, Quinn takes the reader on an escapade to follow the tracks of life, and this journey may just save us from carrying ourselves and the world out into the sea.
Rjyan
Sep 13, 2015 Rjyan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't read any Daniel Quinn, you can read this easily in one sitting and get a sense of the unique perspective of his longer works and whether or not it appeals to you. If you're interested in ecology and looking for a different slant on our present situation, it couldn't hurt to give this a whirl.
Rachel Nottelling
Not what I was expecting. But even so, the excessively simple stories return to me throughout daily life. Very practical. Stories to read to very little children, and to the little children within ourselves who need to be read to every once in a while.
Leah
Apr 10, 2008 Leah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tales of Adam is a really quick read. Written a little like Aesop's Fables. It is a story about a father teaching his son about the physical and spiritual world. A direct moral in each chapter. It was a littletoo boring and a little too full of morals for me.
claire
Jun 22, 2012 claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: daniel-quinn
3.5 stars. i felt that most of the parables in this book were very resourceful and can be interpreted for just about any walk of life. however, quinn's tendency to sound like a self appointed prophet is glaring at times, which is really the only downside of this book for me.
Baillie Duncan
Apr 05, 2015 Baillie Duncan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was short, and I would have liked more of it. However, the stories clear up and explain more concepts that the book 'Ishmael' talks about. It was a quick read, I finished it in a couple of hours. I would recommend it to those who have read other books by Daniel Quinn!
Karen
Jun 26, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short read, wholesome tales and life lessons, cute story
Aaron
Jul 11, 2008 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book! Great for young kids. Teaches kids some crucial things (human culture and how we got to this point) in a subtle way. It gets their minds churning.
Kevin
Dec 29, 2008 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As far as Quinn's books go, I wasn't hugely into this one. It was a quick read and had some interesting stories in it, but just felt like it was lacking something...
Fanona
Apr 09, 2013 Fanona rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was ok. I am not sure I totally agree w the premises given in it.. yes to a point.
Jared Della Rocca
Apr 24, 2011 Jared Della Rocca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
A beautiful set of parables written in conjunction with Ishmael, that unfortunately were left on the editing room floor.
Lindsey
Jun 20, 2008 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
simple but enlightening; cute
Kate
Aug 14, 2007 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
anything and everything by daniel quinn are must reads for an ecological animist/philosopher
Andrea Olsen
Aug 15, 2010 Andrea Olsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a story about Adam teaching his son Abel how to live in accordance with the Law.
Really beautiful and inspiring.
Alan Vonlanthen
Same story again but not half as inspired as in Ishmael or the Story of B. A little disapointing.
Dwayne
Jan 10, 2015 Dwayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short and pleasant addition to any Quinn collection
Jim
Sep 24, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great little book about a father passing on the gift of wisdom to his son. Told through lessons from hunting and being in nature it is relevant and welcome view on the laws of life.
Nikki
Mar 10, 2010 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I have been searching all the bookstores around to find a copy to send to my new nephew Jude......
Crossett  Library
brianne
Jul 26, 2008 brianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed this collection of short stories (myths?).
Brett Tillman
Brett Tillman rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2008
Jean
Jean rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
May 15, 2014
Seth Garrison
Seth Garrison rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2012
Austin
Austin rated it really liked it
May 24, 2010
Anthony
Anthony rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2015
Jesse
Jesse rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2011
  • A Language Older Than Words
  • Original Wisdom: Stories of an Ancient Way of Knowing
  • Tex and Molly in the Afterlife
  • The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight: The Fate of the World and What We Can Do Before It's Too Late
  • Against Civilization: Readings and Reflections
  • Tracking and the Art of Seeing: How to Read Animal Tracks and Sign
  • The Unschooling Unmanual
  • The Spell of the Sensuous: Perception and Language in a More-Than-Human World
  • The Night Visitor and Other Stories
  • Water: A Natural History
  • Animism: Respecting the Living World
  • Free Man's Worship
  • Beyond Ecophobia: Reclaiming the Heart in Nature Education (Nature Literacy Series, Vol. 1) (Nature Literacy)
  • Recipes for Disaster: An Anarchist Cookbook
  • Against the Grain: How Agriculture Has Hijacked Civilization
  • Camus at Combat: Writing 1944-1947
I had and did the usual things -- childhood, schools, universities (St. Louis, Vienna, Loyola of Chicago), then embarked on a career in publishing in Chicago. Within a few years I was the head of the Biography & Fine Arts Department of the American Peoples Encyclopedia; when that was subsumed by a larger outfit and moved to New York, I stayed behind and moved into educational publishing, begin ...more
More about Daniel Quinn...

“To each is given its moment in the blaze, its spark to be surrendered to another when it is sent, so that the blaze may go on. None may deny its spark to the general blaze and live forever. Each is sent to another someday. You are sent; you are on your way. I am sent. To the wolf or the lion or the vulture or the grasses, I am sent.

My death is the life of another, and I will stand again in the windswept grasses and look through the eyes of the fox and take the air with the eagle and run in the track of the deer.”
4 likes