Start by marking “The Night Calls” as Want to Read:
The Night Calls

The Night Calls (Arthur Conan Doyle and Dr. Joseph Bell #2)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  276 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
While a young medical student at Edinburgh Arthur Conan Doyle famously studied under the remarkable Dr Joseph Bell, who was a pioneer in criminal investigation. The Night Calls chronicles their most frightening and disturbing case - the encounter with the man who was later presented in expurgated form as Moriarty. Beginning with a series of bizarre and outlandish assaults ...more
Published May 6th 2004 by Arrow (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Calls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Calls

Barb
I have had David Pirie's trilogy of books featuring Arthur Conan Doyle on my list of potential books to read for quite some time now. I wish there was some way to know what books you will love before you read them.... perhaps a little metal detector, or a literary Geiger counter that would give you a reading on its dial indicating you will like this but not that, even a forecast predicting enjoyment...you have a seventy five percent chance of enjoying this book. If only... and if so, then I woul ...more
Brooke
Aug 30, 2008 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, mystery
Earlier I had noted that this book picks up right where The Patient's Eyes leaves off. It tells the full story of what is continually hinted at in the first book, and I find it slightly odd that David Pirie paced his trilogy the way he did. The Patient's Eyes is almost like a prologue to the full story that's covered in this book and, from what I can tell from this book's ending, The Dark Water as well.

In any case, whereas The Patient's Eyes only got a 3-star rating from me, this book gets a ful
Carol
Nov 01, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Die spannende Geschichte zur Entstehung der Romanfigur Sherlock Holmes geht weiter. Beim Klappentext musste ich zunächst spontan an Jack, the Ripper denken. Es geht um seltsame Untaten und brutale Morde in Bordellen im Edinburgh des Jahres 1878. Aber die Geschichte entwickelt sich völlig anders und viel perfider. Der Täter hinterlässt bei seinen potentiellen Opfern einen Stapel Münzen und scheint sich mit biblischen, oft frauenfeindlichen Psalmen zu beschäftigen. Aber genau das könnte auch Tarnu ...more
Tyler
Nov 23, 2014 Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The historical note at the end is fairly amazing because it makes you believe for a second that there is some mystery from Doyle's real life that has been covered up.

I love this series and the adaptations. I do feel that Doyle gets a bit annoying with his doubts about Dr. Bell. Clearly he should idolize Bell. How could you not? It's a long book and it does add some nice wrinkles to the standard serial killer novel.

The author says he does not like pastiche and this is not. It is clever and has m
C
Apr 08, 2008 C rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A good accompaniment to Sherlock Holmes. There are even allusions to Holmes stories in the plot. The beginning is a little confusing as I was trying to link the characters to what I knew of Holmes, but in time it became more clear. This book is incredibly dark and has a bad guy that could give you nightmares. It was okay, but I'm not sure I would ever read it again.
Bookpassion
May 31, 2016 Bookpassion rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dieser Teil der Trilogie hat mir sehr viel besser gefallen als der erste, obwohl der auch gut war.
Der Schreibstil ist angenehm zu lesen und sehr authentisch für die Zeit, in der der Roman spielt. Die Charaktere sind sehr sympathisch. Ich mag einfach diese Dynamik zwischen dem Doctor und Doyle :)
Die Handlung ist spannend und man rätselt ständig mit, wobei mir Doyle ab und an ein wenig begriffsstutzig vorkam *gg* Natürlich nimmt ihm das nichts von seiner Liebenswürdigkeit.
Allerdings war das Ende d
Jessica
Jan 16, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this story five stars if it didn't end the way it did. I think each book in a series should be complete unto itself, so you don't have to get the next book to find out a major plot point. Grrr....

Anyway Doyle and Doctor Bell are dealing with their first serial killer. A man who kills simply because he can - taking the whole "might makes right" way of thinking to it's ultimate conclusion. Then there's another side case involving a glowing head that you think is related to the f
Kathy
Jul 26, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have to think about this one before endorsing. There was certainly a lot of action in this one as well as love, heartbreak, family trauma without resolution and then there was the truly bone-chilling ending. I do not watch "scary" movies and feel like a teenage or college-aged son has pulled a prank on me...but still - I will go to library tomorrow to read the third and final? (I hope for my nerves!)
Then I will make my final decision on this series. There are many good parts but also weak parts.
Riju Ganguly
Jun 14, 2011 Riju Ganguly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the exceptionally well-crafted "The Patient's Eyes", this second book of the 'Murder Rooms' trilogy is a slight let-down. Chronologically speaking, the events happening in this book precede those in "The Patient's Eyes", and describe the following: -

* although the events that had first brought Arthur Conan Doyle into the world of Dr. Joseph Bell had been described in the 1st book, the events that had followed that 'introductory' phase, are all here;
* the deep scar left by Arthur Conan Doyl
Mike
Sep 17, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This is the second book about the early life and adventures of Arthur Conan Doyle. Partly based on the author's own research into the factual history Conan Doyle and a healthy imagination, this series reveals how his last two years as a medical student and early years as a doctor gave him the insights and experience to later create the World's Greatest Consulting Detective. Key to this premise and in the historical record is Doyle's knowledge and familiarity with a brilliant and "peculiar" Profe ...more
Bre
Mar 31, 2013 Bre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm interviewing myself about how I felt about this book, since I don't feel like writing a regular review, thought it would be an interesting format.
I sat myself down and mercilessly questioned me. Here's what I had to say.
Interviewer: Hello, good to see you again. You're looking good.
Me: Thanks.
Interviewer: OK, so what did you think of the book?
Me:(Takes a gulp of water) Well, I obviously thought it was good if I gave it 5 stars, right?
Interviewer: Why did you give it 5?
Me: (Shrugs)5 sounded
Stephanie
Apr 26, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Wow! I am very glad that I continued with this series. I was on the fence about The Patient’s Eyes when I read it, but The Night Calls blew the first book out of the water. I completely devoured this thing in two evenings.

The mystery is strange, gripping, and horrifying. There is an amazing twist in this book that hit me like a punch in the gut and actually made me shout out loud in shock. That’s a pretty rare thing.

Doyle is far more likeable and interesting in this story than he was
Emily Whetstone
The conceit of this book, a very Sherlock Holmesian fictionalized version of the adventures of Arthur Conan Doyle and his mentor Dr Joseph Bell, is a wonderful one. It frees Pirie to be creative and pay homage to Doyle's creation without attempting to directly mimic the famous characters. The story flows quickly and has some chilling moments. The ending is a cliffhanger, so if those bother you, you should probably have The Night Calls lined up to continue reading. I started with this rather than ...more
Aleshanee
Jun 24, 2016 Aleshanee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: histor-krimi
Ein bisschen schwächer als Band 1, trotzdem konnte ich wieder wunderbar in die Sherlock Holmes Atmosphäre eintauchen.
Nach dem fiesen Cliffhanger am Ende wird Band 3 bald bei mir einziehen :)
FatihahNaser
Mar 31, 2016 FatihahNaser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book when there's a book fair. and it turns out the book is quite interesting. I would like to read another novel by David Pirie
Tamsinwilloughby
A solid mystery with some nice ideas. One point deduction for the fridging which was predictable and boring.
Phillip Ramm
Apr 11, 2013 Phillip Ramm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, crime, historical
Very enjoyable pastiche of the Sherlock style, supposedly based on the scant facts we have about the real life of Conan Doyle. Dr Joseph Bell was a lecturer at Edinburgh University when Doyle was a medical student there. He was certainly the model for Sherlock Holmes, a critical observer and adherent of the inductive method. Substitute him for Homes and Doyle for Watson and you have it.
Carol
May 09, 2008 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, holmes-doyle
Like another reviewer said, this is a very "dark" novel. There are two mysteries, one of which is solved. The other mystery is solved, but the offender is not brought to justice. I love the atmosphere of this series and the Doyle and Bell characters are fascinating. Of course, I'm a Holmes fan, so I may be biased.
Annie
Eigentlich sind es sogar zwei Kriminalfälle in einem Buch. Okay sie stehen in Zusammenhang und der Cliffhanger ist echt böse. Aber da A.C.Doyle im echten Leben relativ alt geworden ist, mache ich mir keine Sorgen und freue mich wie Bolle auf den nächsten Band!
Jonna
Mar 07, 2013 Jonna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved how the author uses Arthur Conan Doyle in the mystery! Very creative! It's a very creative and well-written book. It has everything I love- dark, well-developed characters and it takes place in Victorian England. A great read!
Janet
May 13, 2009 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
If I didn’t already know the story behind Dr. Cream and his “pink pills for pale prostitutes,” I probably wouldn’t have enjoyed this story nearly as much as I did. I haven’t been this shocked by a sudden plot twist in ages.
Emi Lingsan
it is an interesting take on Sherlock Holmes. It shows more of the relationship between Bell and Doyle (Shelock and Watson) rather than the briliance of the deduction method.

Still an interesting series
Allie
Mar 13, 2012 Allie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I sort of read these books out of order. I have yet to find the other two and I would love to read them, as well as The Night Calls again.
Emily
Jun 01, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A-Maz-Ing. I have to split it up it was that good. Have you read this series yet? No? GET ON THAT.
Marianne
Once again, too scary, need the print book. Being a scaredy cat is a pain in the arse.
Kat
Read about 20 pages, couldn't get into. With Arthur Conan Doyle as protagonist.
Gena
May 02, 2010 Gena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
The rather unsavory early beginnings of Sherlock Holmes. Fun ride!
Tammy
Apr 04, 2013 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending is great!
Tony Entrekin
Tony Entrekin marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Rukayah H
Rukayah H marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Ice Palace Murders: From the American Chronicles of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • The Revenge of Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #2)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Plague of Dracula
  • The Secret Notebooks of Sherlock Holmes
  • Holmes for the Holidays
  • The Black Hand (Barker & Llewelyn, #5)
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Will of the Dead
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Hidden Years
  • Castle Rouge (Irene Adler, #6)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Short Stories
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Angel of the Opera
  • Basil and the Pygmy Cats (Basil of Baker Street, #3)
  • The Adventures of Inspector Lestrade
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
David Pirie was a journalist and film critic before he became a screenwriter. Just a few of his numerous credits are the BAFTA nominated adaptation for the BBC of The Woman in White and his collaboration with Lars Von Trier on the script of the Oscar nominated film Breaking the Waves. David Pirie lives in Somerset.
More about David Pirie...

Arthur Conan Doyle and Dr. Joseph Bell (3 books)
  • The Patient's Eyes