Start by marking “The Lost and Found Pony” as Want to Read:
The Lost and Found Pony

The Lost and Found Pony

The pony is a dream come true for a little girl. But the dream shatters when he is taken from her. Though time passes as the pony makes the best of his new life in the circus, he never stops hoping to find the little girl. And the girl never stops looking for him.
Published July 19th 2011 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about The Lost and Found Pony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost and Found Pony

Megan Craig
Jul 10, 2013 Megan Craig rated it liked it
Genre: Picture Book- Realistic Fiction
Pre-Reading Strategy: Anticipation Guide-makes predictions, anticipate the text, verify predictions

Anticipation guide:
1. The pony only lives on farms.
2. The pony knew that someone would love him even though he is small.
3. The pony got loose and ran away.
4. The pony does not like the circus.
5. The pony finds the little girl.

Script: "Today we will be reading The Lost and Found Pony. In this story, we read about the pony and the activities th
Nicole
Feb 27, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture_book
I'm embarrassed...or maybe not that embarrassed...to admit that I got a bit misty-eyed at the end of this picture book. This books is more wordy than some others, but it's a very sweet story about a pony that starts his life at the side of a little girl and then through many life adventures finally finds his way back to her. [Like a much friendlier version of War Horse, without a war.] Really very sweet, and interestingly told from the Pony's perspective.
Russell
Jan 19, 2015 Russell rated it it was amazing
I'll admit it, I cried. When I croaked through the end of the book, I had to turn away from my daughter and compose myself before launching into another bedtime book. Holy cow, the blubbery man tears.

The illustrations really sell the heartrending tale. During the valleys of the pony's storied life, you feel the sadness. Hell, the elephants getting loaded up for the Safari Jungle are as sad as Dumbo's mother.

Who doesn't have that universal desire to be wanted and have that perfect day? Who hasn't
Annika
Sep 24, 2013 Annika rated it it was amazing
I read this with my daughter and it was so touching and heartfelt that I actually was crying while I was reading it. It is a great story of love but also awareness.
Kinsey Brown
Jun 11, 2015 Kinsey Brown rated it it was ok
Shelves: state-awards
"'The Lost and Found Pony' is a story that a young pony tells about different parts of his life. Can you guess what might happen to the pony? How can he be lost and found? In the picture on the front cover, does the pony look happy or sad? We will find out as we see all of the places this pony travels to, from a farm, to a house, and even a circus!"

The opening moves I used for this story are clarifying the writer's point of view, prompting predictions based on the title, and drawing attention to
Carol A.
Jun 16, 2013 Carol A. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: primary-books
Genre: Reality Fiction

Pre-Reading Strategy: First Lines

Pre-Reading Script: Today we will be reading the book, The Lost and Found Pony, written by Tracy Dockray. From the cover of the book, we can see that the book is going to be about a horse as there is a big picture of a horse's head that takes up most of the space on the front book cover. The first few sentences of the story can also give us hints about the story. Looking inside the book, the first four sentences read, "I did
Dorothy
Jul 11, 2013 Dorothy rated it it was amazing
Dorothy Schultz
TED 2360
7/9/13

The golden sower book I read was “The Lost and Found Pony” by Tracy Dockray. The audience for this book would be primary grades; the genre is picture book with realistic fiction. The author tells about a young girl and how the horse is sold to a circus. But in this charming story the author gives an insightful approach on how even older horses can still be helpful after they have aged. She uses her experience with working with an organization that saves rescue horses
Cherilyn
Jul 09, 2013 Cherilyn rated it really liked it

Genre: Picture Book/ Realistic Fiction

I would use the pre-reading strategy K-W-L with the book The Lost and Found Pony. I would incorporate this as a read-aloud into our animal unit.
I like the KWL strategy because it accesses students’ prior knowledge, increases student involvement, and allows the students to contribute to their own understanding, allowing them to feel knowledgeable. I would put up a KWL chart with 3 columns on my smart board. I would start by asking my class wh
Brianne Cox
Jun 05, 2013 Brianne Cox rated it really liked it
Shelves: primary-books
Genre: Fantasy
Pre-reading Strategy: Sticky notes
This strategy has students use sticky notes to mark sections in the book that they would like to return to, difficult sections for which they require clarification, for instance, or powerful or clear passages they would like to share with others. The places where they put sticky notes can be used to foster discussion and inspire writing. For the book, The Lost and Found Pony, it has a lot of different things that go on during the b
Bethe
May 26, 2014 Bethe rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations and story about a brave pony that never gives up his love for his first little girl. I admit I almost cried at this one.
Christina  Caputo
Aug 15, 2016 Christina Caputo rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. I had tears in my eyes while reading this story. So many animals are "lost" and my gosh, I pray that they will be "found" too.
Robin
Feb 03, 2014 Robin rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story about the life of a very small pony. Definitely warrants it's Golden Sower nominee status!
Maija
Apr 23, 2015 Maija rated it really liked it
I thought it would make me tear up and it did. A very sweet story.
Megan Wismer
Jul 09, 2013 Megan Wismer rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Audience: K-3
Genre: Fiction
Pre-Reading Strategy:Author Consideration
Before reading this book I will share information about the author and why she wrote the book. (Found in the back of the book)

Tracy Dockray encountered and old pony at a birthday party with her son. Her son grew attached immediately and Tracy started to think about what the horses life was like before.. She decided to write a story about the life she imagined that pony to have.
Rachel
May 25, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Engaging cover and friendly illustrations. My girls who love all things horse enjoyed this little story. The author makes a general comparison to the style of Black Beauty, but though this horse does tell his own story, it is a very mild narrative and not at all the dramatic or engaging viewpoint that makes Black Beauty so appealing. Still, a pleasant read for young horse lovers.
Stephanie Moran
Okay story but felt it was kind of a recycled story until the end.
My kids really loved this book.
Sharon Lawler
Dec 07, 2013 Sharon Lawler rated it really liked it
A great story about bonding, change, loss, and redemption which feels like a snippet of Black Beauty. Very memorable, and makes a strong choice for story time with elementary age kids.
Apr 08, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is a sweet book about doing your best no matter your size. It is about loving each other.
Liz Burnett
Nov 16, 2012 Liz Burnett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This book made me cry. Flat out made me cry. The story is so sad and happy. The illustrations are beautiful.
Cynthia
A small pony shares his journey through several owners never forgetting the girl who first owned him.
Autumn
Nov 14, 2011 Autumn rated it it was amazing
Both kids (3 and 7) love this and so do I. If you are, or were, a horsey girl, you will cry!
Aimee Owen
May 14, 2012 Aimee Owen rated it really liked it
Over and over, the little pony is outgrown by those he loves. A sad tale, but a happy ending.
Elyce
Aug 30, 2013 Elyce rated it really liked it
This was a very sad story with a happy ending occurring after many years.
Hannah
Feb 03, 2016 Hannah rated it liked it
Reminiscent of "Black Beauty" but still a good read for a young one.
Stacia Leigh
A horse lover will appreciate this story.
PWRL
Mar 13, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
E
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Sheenagh Morrison
Sheenagh Morrison rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Wendy Lukert
Wendy Lukert rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016