Start by marking “The Lost and Found Pony” as Want to Read:
The Lost and Found Pony

The Lost and Found Pony

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The pony is a dream come true for a little girl. But the dream shatters when he is taken from her. Though time passes as the pony makes the best of his new life in the circus, he never stops hoping to find the little girl. And the girl never stops looking for him.
Published July 19th 2011 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about The Lost and Found Pony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost and Found Pony

Megan Craig
Genre: Picture Book- Realistic Fiction
Pre-Reading Strategy: Anticipation Guide-makes predictions, anticipate the text, verify predictions

Anticipation guide:
1. The pony only lives on farms.
2. The pony knew that someone would love him even though he is small.
3. The pony got loose and ran away.
4. The pony does not like the circus.
5. The pony finds the little girl.

Script: "Today we will be reading The Lost and Found Pony. In this story, we read about the pony and the activities th
Nicole
I'm embarrassed...or maybe not that embarrassed...to admit that I got a bit misty-eyed at the end of this picture book. This books is more wordy than some others, but it's a very sweet story about a pony that starts his life at the side of a little girl and then through many life adventures finally finds his way back to her. [Like a much friendlier version of War Horse, without a war.] Really very sweet, and interestingly told from the Pony's perspective.
Russell
I'll admit it, I cried. When I croaked through the end of the book, I had to turn away from my daughter and compose myself before launching into another bedtime book. Holy cow, the blubbery man tears.

The illustrations really sell the heartrending tale. During the valleys of the pony's storied life, you feel the sadness. Hell, the elephants getting loaded up for the Safari Jungle are as sad as Dumbo's mother.

Who doesn't have that universal desire to be wanted and have that perfect day? Who hasn't
Annika
I read this with my daughter and it was so touching and heartfelt that I actually was crying while I was reading it. It is a great story of love but also awareness.
Kinsey Brown
"'The Lost and Found Pony' is a story that a young pony tells about different parts of his life. Can you guess what might happen to the pony? How can he be lost and found? In the picture on the front cover, does the pony look happy or sad? We will find out as we see all of the places this pony travels to, from a farm, to a house, and even a circus!"

The opening moves I used for this story are clarifying the writer's point of view, prompting predictions based on the title, and drawing attention to
Carol A.
Genre: Reality Fiction

Pre-Reading Strategy: First Lines

Pre-Reading Script: Today we will be reading the book, The Lost and Found Pony, written by Tracy Dockray. From the cover of the book, we can see that the book is going to be about a horse as there is a big picture of a horse's head that takes up most of the space on the front book cover. The first few sentences of the story can also give us hints about the story. Looking inside the book, the first four sentences read, "I did
Dorothy
Dorothy Schultz
TED 2360
7/9/13

The golden sower book I read was “The Lost and Found Pony” by Tracy Dockray. The audience for this book would be primary grades; the genre is picture book with realistic fiction. The author tells about a young girl and how the horse is sold to a circus. But in this charming story the author gives an insightful approach on how even older horses can still be helpful after they have aged. She uses her experience with working with an organization that saves rescue horses
Cherilyn

Genre: Picture Book/ Realistic Fiction

I would use the pre-reading strategy K-W-L with the book The Lost and Found Pony. I would incorporate this as a read-aloud into our animal unit.
I like the KWL strategy because it accesses students’ prior knowledge, increases student involvement, and allows the students to contribute to their own understanding, allowing them to feel knowledgeable. I would put up a KWL chart with 3 columns on my smart board. I would start by asking my class wh
Brianne Cox
Genre: Fantasy
Pre-reading Strategy: Sticky notes
This strategy has students use sticky notes to mark sections in the book that they would like to return to, difficult sections for which they require clarification, for instance, or powerful or clear passages they would like to share with others. The places where they put sticky notes can be used to foster discussion and inspire writing. For the book, The Lost and Found Pony, it has a lot of different things that go on during the b
Bethe
Beautiful illustrations and story about a brave pony that never gives up his love for his first little girl. I admit I almost cried at this one.
Robin
A wonderful story about the life of a very small pony. Definitely warrants it's Golden Sower nominee status!
Maija
I thought it would make me tear up and it did. A very sweet story.
Megan Wismer
Audience: K-3
Genre: Fiction
Pre-Reading Strategy:Author Consideration
Before reading this book I will share information about the author and why she wrote the book. (Found in the back of the book)

Tracy Dockray encountered and old pony at a birthday party with her son. Her son grew attached immediately and Tracy started to think about what the horses life was like before.. She decided to write a story about the life she imagined that pony to have.
Rachel
Engaging cover and friendly illustrations. My girls who love all things horse enjoyed this little story. The author makes a general comparison to the style of Black Beauty, but though this horse does tell his own story, it is a very mild narrative and not at all the dramatic or engaging viewpoint that makes Black Beauty so appealing. Still, a pleasant read for young horse lovers.
S.K.
Beautiful artwork and a cute story. Little girls love ponies and this one was especially adorable. We saw him born, young, loved, saved, loved, old, and saved again. Full circle ending and a lovely note by the author about equine rescue.

Any horse lover would appreciate this story.
Sharon Lawler
A great story about bonding, change, loss, and redemption which feels like a snippet of Black Beauty. Very memorable, and makes a strong choice for story time with elementary age kids.
I loved this book. It is a sweet book about doing your best no matter your size. It is about loving each other.
Liz Burnett
This book made me cry. Flat out made me cry. The story is so sad and happy. The illustrations are beautiful.
Cynthia
A small pony shares his journey through several owners never forgetting the girl who first owned him.
Autumn
Both kids (3 and 7) love this and so do I. If you are, or were, a horsey girl, you will cry!
Aimee Owen
Over and over, the little pony is outgrown by those he loves. A sad tale, but a happy ending.
Elyce
This was a very sad story with a happy ending occurring after many years.
PWRL
Mar 13, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
E
Annamarie Carlson
Annamarie Carlson marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Kareem Mohamed
Kareem Mohamed marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Taylor ann griffet
Taylor ann griffet marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
My Bunny Diary Lice, The Scare in My Hair The Ramona Collection, Vol. 1: (Ramona #1-#3,#8) Ellen Tebbits (Ellen & Otis, #1) Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)