Start by marking “Selected Shorts: Edith Wharton” as Want to Read:
Selected Shorts: Edith Wharton

Selected Shorts: Edith Wharton

Four stories written by the great American fiction writer Edith Wharton and read by terrific actors, including Maria Tucci and Kathleen Chalfant, make up this two-CD set, recorded live at The Mount, Wharton's house and gardens which she designed and built in Lenox, Massachusetts. The first woman to receive a Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the first woman to be granted full ...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 1 page
Published April 1st 2007 by Symphony Space (first published 1911)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Shorts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Shorts

Ana Rînceanu
"Mrs. Manstey's View" - You are what you view... an Edith Wharton-era real estate story. (5 stars)

"Roman Fever" - What happened that night in Rome so long ago? The secret revealed. (4 stars)

"The Reckoning" - The high price of marital harmony. (4 stars)

"Xingu" - Wild goings-on at a ladies' book group. (4 stars)
Caroline
Feb 15, 2011 Caroline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
All of the stories in this book were beautifully written. But Wharton kept recycling the same sad themes of corrupted high society, divorce, and scandal. Also, her avant-garde feminism seemed rather confused and contradictory. The only story I actually enjoyed from this selection was Xingu. And even that left a bitter aftertaste. Maybe I would appreciate Edith Wharton more if I read one of her novels where her themes and characterization are fully fleshed out.
Sep 29, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous little diversion. I find I much prefer her longer works, her writing and characters shine in the longer format and the subject material can be a little grating in nibbles, but overall worthwhile.
Kirsti
Oct 09, 2010 Kirsti rated it it was amazing
This contains one of my favorite Wharton turns of phrase: "the mentally unemployed."
Isabel
Apr 22, 2014 Isabel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Expiation and the Muse's tragedy were the ones I though were more interesting.
Homeschoolmama
1.5 stars for the first five stories
3 stars for the last two.

Edith Wharton was a Pulitzer Prize-winning author who wrote stories and novels with one setting; upper crust people from New York or Boston, all of whom had maids, butlers, footmen, governesses, etc., literati who spent their time traveling abroad, speaking French, and discussing novels and investments. Oh yawn. Enough already. I grew pretty tired of the same characters. The stories read like a 19th century soap opera.
Wharton's writ
Holly
Sep 28, 2013 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a great fan of the short story. Just not my cup of tea. This is Wharton at her best comic side. Loved "Xingu". But all were well written as only she can do. I even had to look up some words, as we have changed the use in our current language. That is always interesting and challenging. LOVED IT, overall!
David Cerruti
Mar 15, 2011 David Cerruti rated it really liked it
Shelves: stories
I did not expect these stories to be my cup of tea, but was pleasantly surprised. Roman Fever was my favorite. The twist at the end was elegant. The other three stories poked fun at the upper-class twits of her day. They were reminiscent of stories by Saki, but not as concise.
Sandie
Jan 10, 2016 Sandie rated it really liked it
This audio book was witty and fun, just perfect for two hours in the car. The stories, read by singular actors, seemed like little plays. The four pieces are: Mrs. Manstey's View, Roman Fever (my fave), The Reckoning, and Xingu.
Sue
I found a degree of variability in quality among these stories. While they all are well-written, some deal with the themes of social ostracism, feminism and relationships between the sexes better and more interestingly than others. My favorites are "The Pelican" and "Xingu".
Janet
Oct 20, 2008 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are so many wonderful quotations I could take from these pages. I find my notes and underlined paragraphs throughout the book. It was so enjoyable that I was disappointed that it wasn't longer.
Andrew
Not sure Wharton's art is best displayed in short-form, but a fairly enjoyable read regardless. Particularly enjoyed the more satirical stories - Xingu and Expiation - though the rest were by no means unpleasant.
Linda
Mar 01, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
audio stories narrated by Alece.
Renee
Jul 30, 2007 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
Fantastic character descriptions. Written in the early 1900's, they do not seem outdated and the situations are unique with a mix of humor and poignant tenderness. The vocab was very erudite.
Megan
Feb 21, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really loved the sharpness of many of these stories, though by the time I reached the end of the book the hopeless situations and love-going-nowhere was depressing. I'd recommend Xingu.
G
Aug 09, 2016 G rated it it was amazing
Only four stories, but they are magnificent. Very well read. I love the twists.
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Katherine
Katherine rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2017
April
April rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Kezee
Kezee rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2013
Kris
Kris rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2010
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
susan bragdon
susan bragdon rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2017
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2010
Penny Dyer
Penny Dyer rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2016
Dan Malinowski
Dan Malinowski rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2011
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
May 12, 2015
Sheila Muldoon
Sheila Muldoon rated it did not like it
Jul 07, 2015
Bogdan
Bogdan rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Pair of Silk Stockings and Other Short Stories
  • Great American Short Stories
  • Four Major Plays, Vol. 2: Ghosts / An Enemy of the People / The Lady from the Sea / John Gabriel Borkman
  • Sonnets from the Portuguese and Other Poems
  • The Complete Short Stories of W. Somerset Maugham: East and West (Vol. 1 of 2))
  • Stories by O. Henry (Walmart)
  • Virginia Woolf Reader
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • Confessions of a Teenage Baboon
  • The Penguin Book of Gaslight Crime: Con Artists, Burglars, Rogues, and Scoundrels from the Time of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Human Comedy: Selected Stories