Selected Shorts: Edith Wharton

Selected Shorts: Edith Wharton

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Four stories writtenby the great American fiction writer Edith Wharton and read byterrific actors, includingMaria Tucciand Kathleen Chalfant, make up thistwo-CD set, recorded live at The Mount, Wharton's house and gardens which she designed and built in Lenox, Massachusetts.The first woman to receive a Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the first woman to be granted full membe...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 1 page
Published April 1st 2007 by Symphony Space (first published 1911)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Shorts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Shorts

Fabulous little diversion. I find I much prefer her longer works, her writing and characters shine in the longer format and the subject material can be a little grating in nibbles, but overall worthwhile.
Kirsti
This contains one of my favorite Wharton turns of phrase: "the mentally unemployed."
Isabel
Expiation and the Muse's tragedy were the ones I though were more interesting.
Caroline
All of the stories in this book were beautifully written. But Wharton kept recycling the same sad themes of corrupted high society, divorce, and scandal. Also, her avant-garde feminism seemed rather confused and contradictory. The only story I actually enjoyed from this selection was Xingu. And even that left a bitter aftertaste. Maybe I would appreciate Edith Wharton more if I read one of her novels where her themes and characterization are fully fleshed out.
Holly Kroeger
I am not a great fan of the short story. Just not my cup of tea. This is Wharton at her best comic side. Loved "Xingu". But all were well written as only she can do. I even had to look up some words, as we have changed the use in our current language. That is always interesting and challenging. LOVED IT, overall!
Sue
I found a degree of variability in quality among these stories. While they all are well-written, some deal with the themes of social ostracism, feminism and relationships between the sexes better and more interestingly than others. My favorites are "The Pelican" and "Xingu".
David Cerruti
I did not expect these stories to be my cup of tea, but was pleasantly surprised. Roman Fever was my favorite. The twist at the end was elegant. The other three stories poked fun at the upper-class twits of her day. They were reminiscent of stories by Saki, but not as concise.
Andrew
Not sure Wharton's art is best displayed in short-form, but a fairly enjoyable read regardless. Particularly enjoyed the more satirical stories - Xingu and Expiation - though the rest were by no means unpleasant.
Janet
There are so many wonderful quotations I could take from these pages. I find my notes and underlined paragraphs throughout the book. It was so enjoyable that I was disappointed that it wasn't longer.
Renee
Fantastic character descriptions. Written in the early 1900's, they do not seem outdated and the situations are unique with a mix of humor and poignant tenderness. The vocab was very erudite.
Megan
Really loved the sharpness of many of these stories, though by the time I reached the end of the book the hopeless situations and love-going-nowhere was depressing. I'd recommend Xingu.
Linda
audio stories narrated by Alece.
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Brittany Olenslager
Brittany Olenslager marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Kerry
Kerry added it
Jul 01, 2014
Samira
Samira marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Alan
Alan added it
May 15, 2014
Anne
Anne added it
May 03, 2014
Jaycee
Jaycee marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Laura ♥Miller...♥ ~
Laura ♥Miller...♥ ~ marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Cate
Cate added it
Feb 24, 2014
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Edith Newbold Jones was born into such wealth and privilege that her family inspired the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses." The youngest of three children, Edith spent her early years touring Europe with her parents and, upon the family's return to the United States, enjoyed a privileged childhood in New York and Newport, Rhode Island. Edith's creativity and talent soon became obvious: By the a...more
More about Edith Wharton...
The Age of Innocence The House of Mirth Ethan Frome Ethan Frome and Other Short Fiction The Custom of the Country