Start by marking “The Chicago Diner Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Chicago Diner Cookbook

The Chicago Diner Cookbook

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The Chicago Diner has been the "Windy City's" premier vegetarian eatery since 1983. Enjoy favorite dishes from their menu now tailored so you can create them in your home kitchen. From the Macrobionic Meal, No Meata Fajita, or Tofu Scrabble Jubilee to the Thunder Salad and Radical Rueben Sandwich, the Chicago Diner offers your favorite dishes with a new twist.
Published September 1st 2002 by Book Publishing Company (TN)

To ask other readers questions about The Chicago Diner Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chicago Diner Cookbook

Amber Anderson
May 16, 2009 Amber Anderson rated it liked it
Shelves: tasty
Okay, made the cocoa cake (for Rachel's birthday!) and I'm not a big fan of chocolate cake in general but it was pretty good, very moist. Mmm...I want some right now.

And I gotta give it up for the shepard's pie. Fantasmic. The one I made turned out better than what i was served at the Diner (in my humble opinion). Full of flavor. Make it to impress your friends and family.
Lisa Vegan
Jun 07, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: vegetarians & vegans, especially those who don't live in Chicago & are unable to visit regularly
The Chicago Diner is one of my two favorite restaurants in Chicago, even though I prefer 100% vegan restaurants and this place is vegetarian with a lot of vegan options, but not only vegan. My main disappointment in the book is that the best thing about this restaurant are their vegan cakes and while there are cake & frosting recipes here, I so wish they'd have included recipes for all of their cakes: cake & frosting & filling for each of their scrumptious layer cakes. Vegans, vegeta ...more
Morgan
Mar 25, 2014 Morgan rated it it was ok
Shelves: cook-books
Not as good as I hoped. Maybe the new one is better. I need to know the secrets of their shakes.
Sara Q
Feb 06, 2011 Sara Q rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, cookbooks
Lots of delicious yet simple dishes to choose from. No pictures of food, but a very nice page layout for the recipes and clear, approachable instructions. I do wish some of the recipes had better indications for how long certain steps should take. As a clueless beginner, I don't know if "simmer" should be for 5 minutes or for 15.
Sections: Appetizers, Breakfast & Breads, Soups, Salads & Dressings, Greens & Grains, Entrees, Sauces, and Desserts. Also has a short history of the Chicago
Elizabeth
Oct 30, 2007 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I bought this book for the cheesecake recipe after I tried some of the scrumptious dessert myself at the Chicago Diner. What I made was good but it just wasn't the same. I have since found a better cheesecake recipe.
A few things are absolutely perfect like the diner gravy, which is easily the best I have ever had. Unfortunately I just haven't been that interested in using this book much and there are a few omni recipes which seems really silly to me.
Molly
Nov 08, 2008 Molly rated it really liked it
I agree with some of the other reviewers; making these dishes simply doesn't compare to actually eating at the diner! But, the format is fun and the instructions simple. My top favorites are the basic seitan, the gravy (this seems to be a common favorite) and the sloppy joes.
K
Aug 03, 2008 K rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, cookbooks
While the recipes are pretty good and generally affordable and easy to make, it does not compare to the Diner's food in any shape or form.
Alec
Jun 13, 2010 Alec rated it really liked it
Rounds out my vegan cookbook needs. Excellent veggie burger recipe.
Melinda
Melinda rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Sonja
Sonja rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Caela
Caela rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Amanda Insalaco
Amanda Insalaco rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Julia GP
Julia GP marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Helen Caddes
Helen Caddes marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Meredith Russell
Meredith Russell rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
Cicely Moreau
Cicely Moreau marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Morgan
Morgan rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Stephanie Albanese Pope
Stephanie Albanese Pope marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2015
Rhino
Rhino rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2015
Jj Sommerville
Jj Sommerville rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Barbara Shaurette
Barbara Shaurette rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
Jade
Jade marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
norman kantor
norman kantor marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Bria Berger
Bria Berger marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Bernadette
Bernadette rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2014