Start by marking “The Chicago Diner Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Chicago Diner Cookbook

The Chicago Diner Cookbook

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The Chicago Diner has been the "Windy City's" premier vegetarian eatery since 1983. Enjoy favorite dishes from their menu now tailored so you can create them in your home kitchen. From the Macrobionic Meal, No Meata Fajita, or Tofu Scrabble Jubilee to the Thunder Salad and Radical Rueben Sandwich, the Chicago Diner offers your favorite dishes with a new twist.
Published September 1st 2002 by Book Publishing Company (TN)

To ask other readers questions about The Chicago Diner Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chicago Diner Cookbook

Amber Anderson
Okay, made the cocoa cake (for Rachel's birthday!) and I'm not a big fan of chocolate cake in general but it was pretty good, very moist. Mmm...I want some right now.

And I gotta give it up for the shepard's pie. Fantasmic. The one I made turned out better than what i was served at the Diner (in my humble opinion). Full of flavor. Make it to impress your friends and family.
Lisa Vegan
Jun 07, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: vegetarians & vegans, especially those who don't live in Chicago & are unable to visit regularly
The Chicago Diner is one of my two favorite restaurants in Chicago, even though I prefer 100% vegan restaurants and this place is vegetarian with a lot of vegan options, but not only vegan. My main disappointment in the book is that the best thing about this restaurant are their vegan cakes and while there are cake & frosting recipes here, I so wish they'd have included recipes for all of their cakes: cake & frosting & filling for each of their scrumptious layer cakes. Vegans, vegeta ...more
Morgan
Not as good as I hoped. Maybe the new one is better. I need to know the secrets of their shakes.
Sara Q
Lots of delicious yet simple dishes to choose from. No pictures of food, but a very nice page layout for the recipes and clear, approachable instructions. I do wish some of the recipes had better indications for how long certain steps should take. As a clueless beginner, I don't know if "simmer" should be for 5 minutes or for 15.
Sections: Appetizers, Breakfast & Breads, Soups, Salads & Dressings, Greens & Grains, Entrees, Sauces, and Desserts. Also has a short history of the Chicago
Elizabeth
I bought this book for the cheesecake recipe after I tried some of the scrumptious dessert myself at the Chicago Diner. What I made was good but it just wasn't the same. I have since found a better cheesecake recipe.
A few things are absolutely perfect like the diner gravy, which is easily the best I have ever had. Unfortunately I just haven't been that interested in using this book much and there are a few omni recipes which seems really silly to me.
Molly
I agree with some of the other reviewers; making these dishes simply doesn't compare to actually eating at the diner! But, the format is fun and the instructions simple. My top favorites are the basic seitan, the gravy (this seems to be a common favorite) and the sloppy joes.
K
While the recipes are pretty good and generally affordable and easy to make, it does not compare to the Diner's food in any shape or form.
Alec
Rounds out my vegan cookbook needs. Excellent veggie burger recipe.
Jade
Jade marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
norman kantor
norman kantor marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Bria Berger
Bria Berger marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Marcy
Marcy added it
Aug 18, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Samantha Dandurand
Samantha Dandurand marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Kelly
Kelly is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2014
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014