Start by marking “The New Avengers, Volume 1: Breakout” as Want to Read:
The New Avengers, Volume 1: Breakout

The New Avengers, Volume 1: Breakout (The New Avengers #1)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  8,484 Ratings  ·  180 Reviews
In the wake of the systematic destruction of the original Avengers, just what sort of threat to the world could persuade Captain America to assemble an all-new team? And following the events of Avengers Disassembled, who could possibly be on this team?

How does Cap, Iron Man, Spider-Man, and Wolverine sound? Fate has brought them together, and now Captain America wants to
Published August 17th 2005 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about The New Avengers, Volume 1, please sign up.

Chase by opening it and reading the words

Sam Quixote
May 27, 2017 Sam Quixote rated it it was ok
The Avengers disassembled after House of M. Spidey rogue Electro busts out a few dozen baddies out of The Raft. Avengers reassemble - who expected THAT? Oh, right, everyone. Was it remotely entertaining to see something that’s been done a zillion times before? Surprisingly nah.

New Avengers, Volume 1: Breakout is a super-generic superhero book. Brian Bendis throws a bunch of heroes and villains together in a Royal Rumble-esque brawl because that’s what you do when you haven’t got any ideas.

The
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Hangs my head in shame.
I didn't go crazy over this book.

You've got a bunch of baddies about to break out of Ryker's Island.

Spider man, Captain America, Spider girl and of course Iron Man are involved with the saving of the day. Well sorta..there are still a whole lot of baddies that get loose.
The Captain America decides that they need a new Avengers group to go after the crime dudes.

I just thought this was kinda bland. Usually I'm a superhero fangirl but I couldn't even work it up for Iron M
Bookwraiths
This was an okay read. Nothing terrible, nothing great. A decent time sink is how I view it.

The positives first.

1) Great art. Movie quality art.
2) The Avengers are actually back together in this one.
3) The Sentry storyline was fairly interesting, especially the whole past from the past sections.

The negatives.

1) I didn't like the group. Captain and Iron Man was fine, but the rest just didn't seem to mesh well with one another. Not much real camaraderie.
2) The prison break storyline was a bit for
Dirk Grobbelaar

Ranty Review

OK. I really, really, really wanted to like this more. I hadn’t read anything featuring The Avengers for ages, and Breakout received such glowing reviews. The premise also appealed to me. An Avengers team featuring the likes of Daredevil and Wolverine? Yes please!

Well, despite some name dropping and featuring Matt Murdock early in the story, Daredevil isn’t actually part of the New Avengers team (not at this stage, anyway, I don’t know what happens in future issues).

Spiderman – doesn
Eric
Apr 09, 2014 Eric rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of super hero mash-ups
Shelves: graphic-novels
I loved the premise of the super-villain prison break, and the early introduction of Electro, where he asks himself, "Costume or no costume?" and answers himself in this panel: description
But I had trouble getting over the fact that the assembled team of Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Luke Cage, and, later, Wolverine (also possibly Daredevil in the future?), while both interesting in some cases and popular in others, is not well balanced as a superhero group from a tactical standpoint
Anne
Dec 11, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it
I loved it! Can't wait to read Vol 2!
Liam
May 07, 2015 Liam rated it really liked it
This was really great!!

Loved how it showed the story from different characters point of views, it was well done and entertaining!
Bookingdom
Mar 10, 2016 Bookingdom rated it really liked it
güzel başlangıç sevdim
Megan
May 17, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing
I'll admit, while I love comic books, I haven't read a huge amount of these collected anthologies. With that being said, this has probably been my favorite one to date! Taking place after the end of the Avengers and before the events chronicled in House of M, a dire situation at Ryker's Island has brought together an unlikely group of heroes to continue on as the New Avengers. Breakout stars Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Woman, Spider-Man and Luke Cage as the New Avengers and the fight takes ...more
Robert Wright
Feb 17, 2012 Robert Wright rated it it was ok
Don't get me wrong, Bendis is one of the most talented writers around. If nothing else, Powers will stand as a testament to that. David Finch does nice work with the art.

My essential problem, which started in the Avengers Disassembled storyline and continues here, is what I call "Brian Michael Bendis Destroys the Marvel Universe."

I grew up with and loved the Marvel characters and concept in my childhood, teens, and a large chunk of adulthood, going back to the 1970s. The work that starts here an
Christian Smith
Sep 25, 2016 Christian Smith rated it liked it
"As avenger origin stories go....this one wasn't top of the line"
Holden Attradies
Holy hell what a solid read. I picked up the New Avengers line mostly because I wanted more Jessica Jones and this is apparently where her character wandered off to after The Pulse ended. I was expecting normal Avengers, but DAMN this was great!

I think that Brian Michael Bendis has got to be my all around favorite super hero author. And Authors are something I rarely pay attention to, but I've noticed that if I really, REALLY dig a modern Marvel comic if I look at the author chances are it will
Sud666
Jun 16, 2016 Sud666 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Breakout starts the Bendis run on New Avengers. Starting shortly after the events that led to the dissolution of the Avengers, new trouble arises. Electro is paid to engineer a break of the Raft, the super-criminal lockup, in order to get Suaron. During his attempt he frees all the inmates and a combined force of Captain America, Spider-Man, Spider Woman, Daredevil and Luke Cage help contain the breakout. In the follow up we see the nucleus of the new team. Especially when they go to the Savage ...more
Michelle M
After watching "Jessica Jones," Luke Cage came onto my radar. Not having encountered him in the select few stories I'd read in the reams of Avenger material, I poked around on the internet and was recommended this compilation, in which he joins the New Avengers. I didn't learn much about him, honestly, but I did get a rollicking story. Did I understand most of what was happening? Nope. Half the time I couldn't even decipher the action through the "art." But it was still what a good superhero sto ...more
Gavin
Jan 21, 2013 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This must be my third or fourth reading, and I still love this book.

2 thirds of the holy trinity (Cap, Tony, Thor) put the band back together with Spidey, Spider Woman, and Luke Cage...with an assist from Sentry, and a later arrival of Wolverine. One of the better teams I can recall. Bendis is solid here, and gets the different dynamics of the gang.
Brian Poole
Jun 23, 2015 Brian Poole rated it really liked it
The team of Brian Michael Bendis and David Fitch relaunched the Avengers franchise in a way that would quickly make it one of the world’s best-selling comics. A mysterious figure hired Electro to engineer a breakout at The Raft, an island prison for super-powered criminals in New York Harbor, which attracted several heroes: Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman, Daredevil (in his civilian identity) and the long lost Sentry (a voluntary prisoner on the Raft). In the after ...more
Matty Roche
Dec 31, 2013 Matty Roche rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A problem with fans of the genre and Marvel die-hards is that they are loath to provide an honest review that may run the risk and wrath of being branded with disloyalty to the golden fleece of Marvel Lamb. Being an honest Scouser though, as rare as it may sound, I shall endeavour to do this sheepskin it's fair due.

It is indeed, a fleece. For £10.99 and the time that will never be given back, this was a dull and painful read, with milestones and events dropped in haphazardly like cheap hunks of
Daniel
Jun 24, 2016 Daniel rated it liked it
I dunno man, Bendis is weird. He's got an ear for naturalistic dialogue, but that often leads to all of his characters having the same voice. He knows how to make a page-turner but it all feels like fluff in the end.

Like all of this era's Bendis stuff, this is extremely post-9/11 material. Slightly deconstructionist. I mean look, the original Avengers were formed to fight a mythological trickster god. This iteration is to stop something as mundane as a prison break (super-villainy notwithstandi
Stephen
Apr 02, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it
In the aftermath of Avengers Disassembled, with the X-Men and the Fantastic Four currently occupied elsewhere, and the Avengers disbanded, a mysterious organisation sees an opportunity to stage a large breakout from the Raft, a prison facility for super-powered criminals. Purely by chance, a motley group of superheroes are at the Raft when it happens. Could this be the rebirth of the Avengers - or will it be their death rattle?

I'm not going to beat about the bush. I loved this. The opening issue
Dmitry Yakovenko
May 16, 2016 Dmitry Yakovenko rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Очередная работа Бендиса, которого я вдруг стал так тщательно изучать. В прошлый раз Брайан с удовольствием и с чувством, по кирпичику разрушал спокойную жизнь Мстителей, после чего команда распалась, в этом же сюжете он всё делает строго наоборот – собирает новую команду с нуля.

"Побег" – это первый арк серии "Новые Мстители", в котором из тюрьмы Райкерс сбегает огромное количество заключённых, обладающих суперсилами, ради которых и собирается новый состав Мстителей.

Состав по-настоящему блестящи
Tiago Castro
Mar 07, 2016 Tiago Castro rated it liked it
I really liked the idea of this book: The world needs the Avengers, they're crutial in the balance of the planet, but it didn't deliver as I wanted it to.
The beggining is really cool with the breakout, we get to see Daredevil and Sentry but they never appear after that (which is a shame).
The last couple of issues are really anti-climatics, with the new avengers fighting that man/vampire dinossaur and in which the plot doesn't really clear out.
I really liked the team, they're all so different, yo
J.
Feb 28, 2011 J. rated it really liked it
On second reading, I think I enjoyed it even more. Bendis sure does write some snappy, funny dialog. Of course, nothing is resolved in this book, but it's a good, solid adventure, and a nice setup for future storylines. I really appreciate that Bendis can fully utilize the wide Marvel universe, but without losing readers who aren't steeped in the whole mythology. At least, my wife (who doesn't read mainstream nor superhero comics much) enjoyed it, and wasn't lost.
Therese
I actually really, really enjoyed this, and got a lot more into it and engaged in the story than I usually do with comics. It was a solid story, the dialogue was funny, and I liked the character dynamic within the team.
Angel Arturo
Sep 22, 2016 Angel Arturo rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Fateful meeting of the new superhero team as they try to overcome odds they wouldn't be able to on their own. It was a fun action packed piece with interesting personalities.
Anthony Cam
Jul 10, 2016 Anthony Cam rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
I'm going to keep this short and straight to the point.

It was decent at best. Great artwork but the story was just mediocre.

You see? I told you, nice and short.
tardisneokuyor
Ben bu sefer biraz sıkıldım ya. A.Dağıldı ya da Gizli Savaş biraz daha atraksiyonluydu.
Andrew
Mar 16, 2017 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Avengers have disbanded. Page 1 of this collection reminds (or informs) the reader of what happened and why. Page 2 jumps in with some mysterious folks (fronted by veteran villain Electro) planning to take advantage of the vacuum by having a breakout at “The Raft” - maximum-maximum security prison where super-villains are jailed. The plan had an unexpected snag – there were 3 heroes visiting the facility at the time, a 4th being held there, and a few others who headed over to the facility wh ...more
Ithlilian
To me this seems like a generic superhero comic. A group of superheroes band together after the previous Avengers split to become the new Avengers. There's humor, camaraderie, and explicit conversation to spell out everything in case you missed any little detail along the way. No mystery, no surprise, same amount of action as always, I just wasn't very invested. There's no human reason to be invested, the characters aren't very special, and there's not much of a plot reason to be invested, but t ...more
Draackje
Jan 11, 2017 Draackje rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
After reading Avengers Disassembled, this seemed the right comic to continue with. I actually really liked the way they deal with the aftermath of the previous Avengers, the way they set up a new team and their first adventure seems a great setup for the rest of the series. Will continue with Volume 2.
  • Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Volume 1: The Death of the Dream
  • Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 2: Dangerous
  • The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk
  • Annihilation, Book One
  • Iron Man: Extremis

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

The New Avengers (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • The New Avengers, Volume 2: Sentry