Start by marking “Night, Again: Contemporary Fiction from Vietnam” as Want to Read:
Night, Again: Contemporary Fiction from Vietnam

Night, Again: Contemporary Fiction from Vietnam

A couple's scheme to get rich by killing their father backfires, leaving them in charge of a cripple. In heaven, a baby, dead through neglect, tells his playmates: "Life down there is just one long sleep." A young soldier, saved by a stranger, can never again find her to thank her. A man carries a massive clock. Using a variety of techniques and styles, in this collection ...more
Published January 4th 2011 by Seven Stories Press (first published June 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Night, Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night, Again

Marcelo Siblag IV
Parang galing Pilipinas ang mga kuwento. Urban poor lit ng Pinas magkamukha sa urban poor lit ng Vietnam. Sa madaling salita, pare-parehas lang ang mga ubran poor. Magkakamukha lang ang mga panget na pokpok, ang mga magugulong pamilya, at ang mga mapapangheng eskinita.

Meron ding mga kuwentong hindi urban poor sa koleksyon na ito. Mga love story na nagsimula sa sad ending. Mga love story ng nakaraan na matagal nang naibaon sa lupa pero hindi makalimutan. Pota. Bakit nga ba ang tagal natin mapagt
Nam Pham
A compilation of several stories with different proximity to the motherland and fluency of translation, from satire to existential text. While most felt unfulfilled, the exposure left me with a strange desire to read something in my mother tongue. Oh, how I hate nostalgia.

Dịch được lời, chứ chưa chắc đã dịch được ý. Ai nói ấy nhỉ.
Richard
In this collection from Seven Stories Press, Linh Dinh has collected together twelve works of fiction by Vietnamese writers. Some of these works are quite sharp, like Nguyen Thi Am's "Sleeping on Earth," a story that by itself is worth the sticker price of this book. Other stories, like The Giang's "A stagnant Water Place," are inventive, but ultimately unfulfilling.

But I do applaud Linh Dinh for the scope of this collection--in this, he puts together works from both literary and popular author
Vivienne Strauss
I'm so glad to have stumbled upon this collection of short stories - each one will break your heart in a profoundly unique way.
Keti
Mar 30, 2013 Keti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. It is a sad reflection on the post-Reform Vietnamese society, where the glorious Revolution has ultimately failed.
Mike
Nov 16, 2014 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a lot of the stories appear to lose something in translation, but there were a few pretty good ones. it's really somewhere between 2 and 3 stars, but gets the round up because all the stories are by vietnamese authors and most offer a look at vietnamese culture, which is what i was hoping for.
David
Jul 05, 2016 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a marvelous collection, demonstrating a number of different writers who apparently write very different kinds of stories though all of high quality. I enjoyed it a great deal. I might have to track down some other stuff from a few of these authors. I'm intrigued.
Malika
Sep 07, 2015 Malika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not like this book, mostly because the stories were dark and depressing, and I like my fiction to have a happy ending. The translation was great - beautiful, but still keeping the feeling of the original language.
Cindy
Dec 18, 2007 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
beautiful short stories that are really meaningful especially if you are Vietnamese or have spent time in the country. Great great literature coming out now...excellent translations.
destanie
Not all the stories are equally good; judging by the merit of the best stories, I would have give it 4 stars.
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2010
Travis
Travis rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2008
Nithun
Nithun rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2017
Trish
Trish rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2015
John Brookes
John Brookes rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2011
Katrina
Katrina rated it really liked it
May 11, 2011
Ethan M
Ethan M rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Dorothy Coakley
Dorothy Coakley rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Tim Miles
Tim Miles rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2009
Extant
Extant rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2013
Dustin Champ
Dustin Champ rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2010
Katelyn Rochford
Katelyn Rochford rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2013
Nichole
Nichole rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2015
Eric Nguyen
Eric Nguyen rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
May 29, 2011
Elicia
Elicia rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2008
Wes
Wes rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2013
Alison Starr
Alison Starr rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014