Patriotic Grace

Patriotic Grace

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Peggy Noonan's Wall Street Journal column has been must reading for thoughtful liberals and conservatives alike. Now she issues an urgent, heartfelt call for all Americans to support the next President. Because it is not the threats and challenges we face, but how we face them that defines us as a nation.

The terrible events of 9/11 brought us together in a way not seen sin...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published February 10th 2009 by HarperAudio (first published September 24th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Patriotic Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patriotic Grace

AnnaMay
What a great little book. It was small enough that I didn't feel like I was 'wading through' a deep-thinker book, yet the information within is up to par with a 'deep thinker' kind.

Noonan helped me think about what it means to me to be an American. She helped me feel good about the good things I'm doing and made me think a bit realistically about what may happen in the future.

The book was written before the outcome of the election was known, and I appreciate this. It's nice to not have it slan...more
José
Noonan posits that a great calamity will sooner-than-later befall the United States and that we must prepare ourselves by embracing a "patriotic grace", whereby Americans discard the small things that divide us, embrace those that unite us, and prepare for the long haul by strengthening the fabric of America. This book, published before the 2008 presidential election, is a product of its decade. Noonan argues that Americans were hurt and divided after the 2000 presidential election and that the...more
Michael
I love Peggy Noonan. I am going to read all of her books. Patriotic Grace is the third I’ve read, and I enjoyed it tremendously. Written in the summer of 2008—before the election, and before the worst of the Great Recession descended on the United States and the world—Noonan asks for all of us to focus a bit more on what we have in common, and less on what separates us politically. She speaks quite convincingly about partisan cable news, the many errors of the Bush administration, and the proble...more
Nandi Crawford
I want to say that I haven't read but have heard of Ms Noonan, and thought that the book would be pro Republican, ra ra ra, but I was mistaken. Now, it takes someone with a clear head and mind to say well, even though I'm a Democrat/Republican, there are some things I find wrong with the current administration and find it she does. For one, I find it sad that unless an approval ratings attached to stuff, most Presidents will NOT do things that will be for the betterment of the country. See, it s...more
Tammy Downing
A really good book about how we all need to put aside the partisan BS and work together to make America better for everyone. Although I don't necessarily agree with everything Peggy Noonan believes, she makes a very strong case in this book that we don't need to agree but we need to be calm, rational adults and work on our issues rather than just point fingers and blame the other guy. This is my personal philosophy and I wish more people felt this way. We're all human beings, none better or wors...more
Beth
Dec 08, 2008 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any conservative who thinks liberals are stupid and any liberal who thinks conservatives are stupid
Recommended to Beth by: NPR
I loved her short-and-sweet-and-to-the-point writing style when I could catch up with her writer's ADHD. Kudos for making her point with the fewest possible words but I will have to read this again to fully appreciate it.

Her premise is both refreshing and scarry-as-hell. Getting my passport has just moved up my priority list and after reading this I am getting them for the kids too. No more ignorant bliss for this household. Note to self: buy batteries and bottled water too.

I am a liberal who h...more
Jon Box
The book is a bit dated coming at the end of the George W. Bush presidency, but the guiding principles she asks we adhere to are still necessary if not more relevant today. Her overall call for "patriotic grace" is thoughtful, well intentioned and spot on--she presents a great case. I agree. However, grace seems to suffer a corresponding blind spot in her unending criticism for every Bush effort during the country's initial seven-year response to Global Islamic Terrorism--he could do nothing rig...more
Aaron
Most eloquent person ever. Speechwriter for Reagan I believe. Good points in the book and a realistic view on what is important in this country and what should be important to people.
Julie
This book couldn't be more timely. Peggy Noonan addresses the many issues we as a nation face and why we need to be united to survive through future tough times. She talks about our political culture on the eve of this 2008 election and how "political professionals...divide us cynically, needlessly, for small and temporary partisan gain." We cannot afford that, and Noonan offers ways to get our country back on track, and our leaders focused on solving the important problems. She leans toward the...more
Angela
Dec 05, 2008 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angela by: Peggy Kamperschroer
For someone who rarely reads non-fiction and almost never reads political books, this was quite an eye-opener. The writing style was conversational and a little rambling at times, but the casual tone softened the serious and sometimes critical message in a positive way. I think Noonan found a good balance between warning and encouragement.

I didn't agree with her opinions 100% of the time, but our ideals and concerns were in sync often enough that I understood her perspective. It makes for a very...more
John
While I didn't agree with everything, I found that she was fairly even-handed (given her partisan background) on how we came to be in the unfortunate place we were at time of last year's elections; the obstructionist stance of Congressional Republicans being exactly the situation she warns should not be allowed to occur.
Kudos for her in blasting the TSA and DHS as symptomatic of the failure of the Bush Administration, as well as repeating her opposition to the term "Homeland Security" as creepil...more
Sarah C
I learned Peggy Noonan has the most elloquent way of phrasing some of the most politically charged topics. She is queen of the euphemism. Although I was too young to remember Ronal Regan's presidency, Peggy has certainly raised my curosity to understand his politics and impact on our country.

Never hesitate to read one of her books or articles - it is a gaurantee that you will read something well written, thoughtful, and intelligent even if you do not agree with what she has to say.
Heloyce
There is no way you can read a book on the subject of politics and not disagree with principles and projections.
This book wandering through this difficult time leading up to the election in November, lays blame and points fingers but the perspective is also suspect. Nevertheless, I agreed in part with the summation and recommendations in the final chapters. Still, the most troubling aspect of all of this is that patriotism no longer reigns. It is all partisans and politics. Shame on us!!!
Kierstin
I couldn't get through this book. It was too abstract and well graceful, when I was looking for a real call to action in regards to our country's current situation. I couldn't tolerate blame not being assessed where blame was due. Maybe it is the value of my home, maybe it is that every apartment complex in Elk Grove is government subsidized, maybe it is because CA is holding my income tax refund with a sort of IOU. Patriotic grace...ha!! We need patriotic indignation.
Johnathan
There were some very insightful moments in this book, and some nice lines. For the most part, however, I felt like the author was working up a lot of fear-mongering, doomsday kind of crap. She's obviously a conservative, and she tries very hard to come across as neutral and bipartisan, but as Zinn would say, "You can't be neutral on a moving train." The structure was meandering and rather free-floating. Read a bit like a Hallmark card in book form.
Gary
Peggy gifted writing and observations are widely respected, especially among Reagan conservatives. This was published prior to the election and calls our nation to a patritic grace, no matter who would win. Her ideal is simple, however I found her background politics to be more detailed and Jerry Maguire-ish than I could understand. I am onboard for her call for whatever that means. It was easy to read so do not be afraid.
Maria
I gave this to Brian for Christmas. After a contentious political season, this book seemed fresh and important.

I like the way Noonan writes, that newspaper columnist-style. Her thoughts on the media and the war in Iraq are spot on, but her reasoning on immigration was thin.

Best of all: her thoughts on generational cooperation. Baby boomers aren't as bad as everyone has made them out to be.
Alicia
This was an interesting, thoughtful, quick read. I'm not so sure about her predictions of a large-scale catastrophe in the U.S. (in terms of an attack on the electric grid, or something like that), nor all of her solutions, but I really liked her points about the need to change the tenor of our political discourse, including: we have to be careful that politics doesn't become our religion! Amen to that!
Bill Williams
In Patriotic Grace, Peggy Noonan calls for bi-partisanship and a focus on civil defense to change the course of the country. Her story of the soldier piloting the Higgins Boat to deposit his compatriots on Omaha Beach is arresting.

This book was written during the 2008 election. I wonder what she thinks of the way the world evolved since this book was written.
Chris
Excellent quick read. Helpful for anyone who's frustrated and nervous about where we are at this point in America's history. Peggy Noonan makes great points about our need to talk to each other respectfully and be supportive and graceful even in the face of our disagreements. I really liked it and thought it was a very worthwhile read.
Madelle
Peggy Noonan, former speechwriter for Ronald Reagan and George Bush, columnist for the Wall Street Journal and Good Housekeeping, gave me a lot to think about. This book was written before the otucome of the election was known. She calls for us to come together as a country, lest our divisions become insurmountable. Worth reading.
Elizabeth Hiatt
Peggy Noonan is one of my personal heros, and this book is a perfect example of why that is. If you care about what's happened to politics in this country, and think we need a new direction--read this book. If you don't....then read this book and you will.
Kathryn Hallett Ph.d
Only this splendid republican and former speech writer
for Reagan can so eloquently
and gracefully instruct us to move away from the
acrid and divisive language
and be one people ......undivided and not partisan but
detrmined to fix stuff.
Caryn
While I don't generally agree with Noonan's political leanings, this book gave me something to think about. Noonan brings to light fears that I think we all have about the future of the U.S. It's a quick read but one that leaves you thinking.
Nicole Smith
This was a fast, interesting read. I loved all the “all in this together” and “everyone is better off if we help each other out” themes. So glad I picked this up from the box on the side of the road that said, “FREE take as many as you want”
Jenn
Good and easy read for both Democrat and Republican! She makes the point that in government (as in life), we need to grow up and simply take responsibility for our actions. No matter whom leads us, please let that person be a grown up.
Bebe Burnside
I liked the concept of us all trying to get along. However the author just can't forget she is a Regan republican and just can't help taking swipes at the democrats from time to time. I do think it is worth reading.
Paul
This book offered a meaningful perspective on the current state of our political matters in America, and offers wonderful insights about how we might change our tone to go forward with a better attitude.
Michelle
as a matter of course, i don't generally agree with peggy noonan. and i don't agree with every part of this book. but she is an eloquent writer and makes many good points. a worthy read.
Allison
I think a valid point, especially now that we are beginning to see the fallout she talks about but also ramply and sometimes wandering and not very moderate in some ways.
Peggy Noonan is an author of seven books on politics, religion and culture, a weekly columnist for The Wall Street Journal, and was a Special Assistant to President Ronald Reagan. She is considered a political conservative.

More about Peggy Noonan...
When Character Was King: A Story of Ronald Reagan John Paul the Great: Remembering a Spiritual Father What I Saw at the Revolution: A Political Life in the Reagan Era On Speaking Well The Case Against Hillary Clinton

“Boundaries aren't all bad. That's why there are walls around mental institutions.” 20 likes
“We must try again to be alive to what the people of our country really long for in our national life: forgiveness and grace, maturity and wisdom.

...Our political leaders will know our priorities only if we tell them, again and again, and if those priorities begin to show up in the polls.”
16 likes