Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories

Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories (Inspector Morse #10.5)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  446 ratings  ·  29 reviews
"DELIGHTFUL."
--The Wall Street Journal
In short mysteries so brilliantly plotted they'll confound the cleverest of souls, Inspector Morse remains as patient as a cat at a mouse hole in the face of even the most resourceful evildoers. Muldoon, for instance, the one-legged bomber with one fatal weakness . . . the quartet of lovers whose bizarre entanglements Morse deciphers o...more
Published February 9th 2011 by Fawcett (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories

Jill Holmes
I've heard it said that you can tell a great novelist by the short stories he or she writes. "Morse's Greatest Mystery" is a short story collection by Colin Dexter, the genius who gave the world Chief Inspector Morse and Sergeant Lewis. The eleven stories include six about Morse and five more mysteries that vary in setting, character, and plot teases. That, indeed, is one of Dexter's many gifts; he is able to tease out a story inch by inch with buckets full of red herrings in a standard Morse my...more
Ioana

I don't understand why some Morse fans do not like this little collection of lighthearted tales (some featuring Morse, some not). Here are a bunch of clever, funny, unassuming stories, with a twist towards the end which leaves the reader, well it left me - smiling. In the stories which feature Morse, the angst which the novels have accustomed us with is not present, but his interaction with Lewis is as good as ever and their relationship is still heartwarming. The Sherlock Holmes story is a play...more
Dignan107
A good mix of light-hearted stories. Some Morse some not. The prison escape was my favourite with 'Last Call' another enjoyable read. Well worth a re-read at some future stage. Highly recommended
Carol
I’ll start off by saying that Dexter is just as good at writing short stories as he is at writing novels. Now, how many people can pull that off? I wish I could (and perhaps I may, one day!). So, Dexter’s versatile, and funny, and, in this set of stories, as clever as usual.

Herein lies also a nice variety of tales. Some are Morse tales, told within the context of the earliest of the Morse movies that aired on B.B.C. in the late eighties and early nineties. Morse is drinking a lot, but is still...more
Melissa
I've seen one or two Inspector Morse mysteries on TV but have never read him, so I picked up this collection of short stories to see what I thought. Not all of these stories feature Morse, and offer a number of different plots including muder, prison escape, and good old-fashioned confidence games. What I liked about these stories is that Dexter does not hand the solution to the reader neatly wrapped up in an expositional paragraph or dialogue. As the reader I actually get to use my brain to com...more
Christopher
I do appreciate most of the short stories for what they are, brilliant. I don't know what other people think, but the short story titled at the Lulu Bar Motel, doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the stories and it seems misjudged.
Daniel Weir
Perhaps I could have wanted more Morse stories but there are gems in this collection, including a tale about Sherlock and Mycroft and Watson, that no fan of Dexter should overlook.
Hayley Edwards
Not too bad for short stories though I did think they were all going to be Morse based but weren't
Matt Jones
mostly poor, but a couple of decent short stories
Tom
Very enjoyable selection of short stories that leaves you wanting more.
Nathan Willard
Eh. Dexter, even more than Sayers, needs more ramp-up time to develop his plots. There were a couple of vaguely interesting stories here, but almost all were extremely abrupt and had more of the confusing obliqueness that characterizes Dexter than the despair-followed-by-sudden-brilliance that makes you empathize with the grumpy old man. The Holmes story was funny but lacked the brilliance of, say, Gaiman's Study in Emerald.

Samantha
Not one of my favourite Morse books, I am a bit of a completist so since I am reading all the novels in order read this one too. Be warned over half the stories aren't Morse ones at all. I thought some of them were pretty lame and ended before they'd hardly begun may be the problem is mine as I am not over fond of short stories. Wouldn't recommend.
My first introduction to the world of Morse and it is wonderful. Very humorous and clever - and I love the characters Morse and Lewis, natch. Even the non-Morse stories were really good (especially the one with Sherlock Holmes). I'm really going to have to hunt down the rest of the series now!
Peg
I thought it was a good idea to read this collection of short stories, some with Morse as the protagonist, before he was killed off in two more books. I was happy with that decision. The stories were exceptional. I stayed involved.
Karina
I loved all Morse books so far but I was disappointed with this one. They did not have that unique atmosphere. In my opinion writer did not succeed with genre of short story. I would certainly read his novels and try to forget it.
Brian Steed
Like Frost, Rumpole, and Jeeves & Wooster, this is another series of books I started reading after seeing the TV adaptations. Morse is a great character, in both formats. Dexter loves his complicated plots. Very entertaining.
George
Several short stories by Colin Dexter only some of which are Morse and Lewis stories. Many of the stories have a whimsical tone. If you are serious Morse fan than this anthology probably isn't for you.
Dot
A nice light read on audio while resting. Short stories with old friends Morse and Lewis solving some intriguing mysteries against the backdrop of Oxford.
Agnes
Have always enjoyed Colin Dexter's writing and character, Morse.

Was sorry when he, Morse, died, although his whimsies carry on with his Sargent.
Rachel
A nice collection. I would certainly read an Inspector Morse, or, maybe more likely, watch one of the TV show episodes.
Colleen
Short stories. They were all concise, clever and some of them had crossword puzzles. Quite good. But I prefer the long stories.
bert-bobbi
I could hear the PBS actors' voices as I read these stories! And the one about Sherlock was a hoot too!
Kate
Excellent short stories. Only a couple that I didn't enjoy, but the others were enjoyable and quick read.
Jim
Good Stuff. Short stories, some better than others, but all enjoyable.
Reetta Saine
Mediocre short stories. Gave me a good night's sleep.
David Stimpson
some great stories ..loved the sherlock holmes one
Jan
A good short story collection by Colin Dexter.
A nice diversion for Morse fans!
☯Bettie☯
  • Surprise Surprise
  • Rumpole Rests His Case
  • Beggar's Banquet
  • An April Shroud (Dalziel & Pascoe, #4)
  • City of Gold and Shadows (Felse, #12)
  • Sins of the Fathers (Inspector Wexford, #2)
  • Flint
  • Little Girls Lost (Carson Ryder, #6)
  • The Act of Roger Murgatroyd: An Entertainment
  • The Three Hostages (Richard Hannay #4)
  • The Tainted Relic: An Historical Mystery (The Medieval Murderers, #1)
Norman Colin Dexter, OBE (born 29 September 1930 in Stamford, Lincolnshire) is an English crime writer, known for his Inspector Morse novels.

He started writing mysteries in 1972 during a family holiday: "We were in a little guest house halfway between Caernarfon and Pwllheli. It was a Saturday and it was raining - it's not unknown for it to rain in North Wales. The children were moaning ... I was...more
More about Colin Dexter...
Last Bus to Woodstock (Inspector Morse, #1) The Way Through The Woods (Inspector Morse, #10) Last Seen Wearing (Inspector Morse, #2) The Remorseful Day (Inspector Morse, #13) The Daughters of Cain (Inspector Morse, #11)