Sisters & Lovers

Sisters & Lovers

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,178 ratings  ·  24 reviews
"A FRANK AND FUNNY TALE about the everyday lives of three Black women."
--Essence
Beverly, Charmaine, and Evelyn are three sisters living in the same Maryland town outside Washington, D.C., each wishing her life were just a little different. Beverly is twenty-nine and single. She's a successful magazine editor who would love to be in love. The problem is, no man can meet her...more
Published October 1st 1996 by One World/Ballantine (first published April 5th 1994)

Kellea
I read this so long ago, back in the 90s, that I think I need to read it again. This was at the time of all of the "Teri McMillan", sistergirl hype around new Black chic-lit, so I was reading books like water. I'm sure it was excellent, but I think I will need to pick this one up and read again, definitely.
Kyler Connelly
The Book Sisters & Lovers is very intriguing book. Its about three sister who have very different lives but wish that when it came to their love life it would be perfect. Beverly is twenty-nine and single. She's a successful magazine editor who would like to be in love. But she has high standards that the men she wants, they dont meet them.Charmaine is finishing up her degree, but she has to maintain a thankless job, a child, and an a husband who doesnt do what is is supposed to do. She does...more
Hannah
Feb 16, 2014 Hannah added it
Shelves: comfort-food
I was really into Connie Briscoe five or six years ago, but hadn't read anything by her in a while. This was a perfect choice for what I needed. The dialogue is delightful, and because the book is character driven rather than plot driven, I could read a couple of chapters after work or before bed without needing to finish the book in one sitting. I'm going to put some of her other books on my to-read list.
Shequaila Lacy
Sisters & Lovers is very intriguing book. Its about three sister who have very different lives. but when it came to their love life it would be perfect. Beverly is 29 years old and single. She's a successful magazine editor who would love to fall in love with someone. But she has high standards for men she want and sadly they dont meet them.Charmaine is finishing up her degree and she has to maintain a job, child and a husband who doesnt do what is supposed of him. She feels like she don't h...more
Bianca Harrison
Great read! Read it awhile back and enjoyed it.
Afrijewel
When I first saw this book I thought of Eric Jerome Dickeys Friends and Lovers. Then I realized it was something totally different, a different author and writing style. I enjoyed this read and thought it was similar to other books I had read. It is filled with some surprises about three sisters and their issues. This book is written with a gentle touch, however it cannot compare to my man Eric Jerome Dickey!
Brittney Green
Omg! this book was so good. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it left me wanting more after it ended. Here you have three sisters Beverly,Charmaine, and Evelyn...They kind of remind me of Soul Food!! the bickering, the arguments, etc and of course the men. Charmaine is struggling, Beverly is single, and Evelyn is in LA LA land!!! Eventually, they are able to find peace and true love :)
Raquel
This was my second time reading this one. I read it once when I was a young teen, but wanted to again, just to see if it would be different. It's interesting becasue the author is deaf, and that's very evident in some of the odd dialog between her characters.
Andrea
May 08, 2009 Andrea added it
i read a story in usa today, and it sounded very promising!
you might enjoy reading it (i never read her, only mcmillan)
Chineka Williams
I enjoyed the dynamics of the three sister and how each one was different and looking for different things. I also likes how there is a love story in this book .
Sharon
Mar 02, 2009 Sharon added it
Read this book a long time ago so don't know how I would rate it. But I'm going to read it again before reading the sequel Sisters and Husbands.
Tia
I read this a while ago. Don't remember it but I'm sure I enjoyed it. I can appreciate Ms. Briscoe's writing.
Vanessa
I think this book was really crazy because no one can have a steady relationship with man.
Cassandra
An intersting 1990s look into three black sisters, and the drama that unfolds in their lives.
Ty
The book was okay. I've read better...Better luck next time.
Roy
1-1/2 stars. I decided to be kind and round up rather than down.
Kristopher
Carbon: read 409 pages. Originally written/released in 1993.
Mo
Can't remember what happened in the book. Not very memorable.
Shantadee Gadson
this is where I fell into reading, thanks to a good Aunt :)
Suzette.gum
Just ok. I finished it but without much enthusiasm.
Jeanette Nicole
rereadiin in order to read the sequel...
Lora
Favorite books of 1994...
Myorganictangles .
Myorganictangles . marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
  • One Day I Saw a Black King
  • A Love of My Own
  • Lil Mama's Rules
  • Men Cry in the Dark
CONNIE BRISCOE has been a full-time published author for more than ten years. Born with a hearing impairment, Connie never allowed that to stop her from pursuing her dreams…writing. Since she left the world of editing to become a writer, Connie has hit the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, Boston Globe, Boston Herald, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly bestseller lists.
More about Connie Briscoe...
Big Girls Don't Cry P.G. County Can't Get Enough A Long Way from Home Sisters & Husbands