Start by marking “Otis and the Tornado” as Want to Read:
Otis and the Tornado

Otis and the Tornado (Otis)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  438 ratings  ·  96 reviews
Otis and his farm friends are enjoying a summer's day playing their favorite game, follow-the-leader. The bull, however, has no interest in playing and stays in his pen, where he delights in intimidating the other animals.

Suddenly the day turns frightening: the birds stop chirping, the wind picks up, and the sky turns dark and stormy. It's a tornado! Otis rouses a game of
Published September 6th 2011 by Philomel

To ask other readers questions about Otis and the Tornado, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Otis and the Tornado

Richie Partington
9 October 2011 OTIS AND THE TORNADO by Loren Long, Philomel, September 2011, 40p., ISBN: 978-0-399-25477-2

"All at once the wind stopped blowing, not even a breeze, and the wind disappeared. The sky turned a strange shade of green and the farm fell completely still. The only sound Otis heard as he putt puffed toward the barn was the farmer shouting in the distance.
"'It's coming fast, get down in the cellar!'"

I've been through swarms of blizzards and multitudes of blackouts. I've experienced his
Heidi
I'll say right off the bat that I am a big fan of Otis. I fell in love with him the minute I read the first book. So much so that I ordered the stuffed toy. I like this book even better than first. The large, bright illustrations make this book perfect as a read-a-loud. The picture of the bull does a great job of emphasizing his bigness and grumpiness. The writing is clear and crisp and great for reading out-loud. I found it easy to change my tone of voice with the changing emotion of the story. ...more
Joan
(2011) Fear and Bravery

Otis is the name of a tractor. He is on a farm and you can see a tornado in the background. What feelings would Otis be going through right now? We have had a tornado here and many of you remember what you did and how you felt on October 4, 2013. Let's see what the farm creatures do and feel during a tornado.

This book details different personality traits that can work together to help each other in a disaster. We are all different, but we want to protect everyone from har
Paul
I'm glad the Otis books have their devoted following because I just don't get what all the enthusiasm is about. Like the first volume, the illustrations are well executed while bordering on cute. This anthropomorphized tractor exhibits bravery and loyalty to a growing circle of friends, but that didn't make me care or want to share it with my grandkids or young friends. The best of the book is the double-page spread of the lone tractor standing on a hilltop while the tornado touches down in the ...more
Cherie
My son brought this book home from his school library this week. We decided to review it together. This review can also be found as part of my weekly Kiddie Korner feature on my blog, Cherie Reads.

Ben's View (My 5 year old son):

If you had to rate this book from 1-5 stars what would you rate it?
5 Stars! (Note: I explained what each number in the rating system means)

Did you like the book?
I liked it but I don't know why the tractor only has 3 wheels. All tractors have 4! I liked it because I didn't
Melanie
Otis the tractor enjoys his life on the farm. When the daily work was done, he and his friend Calf and the other farm animals enjoyed a game of follow-the-leader through and around the farm. There was one animal, however, that none of the other animals liked: The Bull. Bull was kept all by himself in his own enclosure and pasture. He doesn't play well with others.

One day the weather turned nasty and a storm blew through. When the rain was done the sky turned a strange green color and it became v
Dustin Roberts
A bright red tractor, named Otis, and all of his friends on the farm love to play follow the leader on a wonderful summer day. Everybody joins in except the mean ol' bull. The bull remains alone and lets no one come near his pen. Even when Otis brings him an apple the bull shows his anger and disgust. But, when a bad storm hits and all the friends are forced to take shelter from a tornado, everybody forgets about the bull except Otis. Otis rushes back to the pen and struggles with a stiff latch. ...more
Anthony
Otis is a little tractor on the farm. In his spare time he likes to play follow the leader with all of his barnyard animal pals. All of the animals on the farm love Otis, all except one, the bull. The bull wasn’t friendly with anyone, and even though Otis tried to be nice to him the bull was as cantankerous as ever. One day a tornado touches down on the farm and Otis tries to round up all his animal friends and get them to safety, but the bull is not Otis’ friend. Whatever will happen to him?

I l
Jessica Hottman
Otis is a “friendly little tractor” that lives on a farm where the sunshine is bright and Otis plays with his friend the calf. This idealistic setting gives the reader some indication that disaster may be approaching, but does a poor job of hooking the reader into the story. Otis and the Tornado by Loren Long, sounds like a story that should be filled with adventure and a “twisted” plot, but this story follows most classic children’s novels and is a bit boring.
After all of the work is done on
Taril Slater
I live in a city where a bad tornado came through and destroyed a great part of the city. An increase in safety and preparing for storms has taken place in the area and a book like this would be a little sensitive. I like the story and think it has a very sweet ending with forming of friendships. I personally have to be careful with how to use this book in the classroom in my area.
Vivian
Our month of story times inspired from themes found in L. Frank Baum's WIZARD OF OZ coincided with this year's READ FOR THE RECORD selection: OTIS AND THE TORNADO by Loren Long. Some high school students had a class assignment to read to a group of children so we had "guest presenters" on our "Toto and Tornadoes" week, reading THIS book.
Jesse Lasarte
There is not really a creative story plot here. A tractor saves an angry bull that none of the animals liked from a devastating tornado. Consequently, the bull changes his attitude and befriends the tractor and the other animals. Admittedly, I was attracted to this book because I read on the cover it was from a New York Times bestseller. Although the theme is admirable, I don’t think the story is especially memorable. In the end, the illustrations are what might make this book enjoyable to young ...more
Dolly
Nov 20, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens, other-usa
This is a dramatic and entertaining story that features a plucky little tractor named Otis. He is very heroic in this story (although I was sure to caution our girls not to ever try something like that if we were ever in a situation like that with a tornado.)

I have to admit that I passed over this book several times at the library, dismissing it as a "boy's book." Boy, was I ever wrong. The fact that Otis is a tractor may appeal to boys more than girls, but the story is well worth the read. The
Barbara
Otis the tractor and his farm friends have learned to give a wide berth to the cranky bull; instead, they enjoy playing with each other on the farm. But when a tornado heads their way one day, Otis must lead the animals to safety in a low-lying area while the farmer and his family head underground. Everyone is safe except the bull who is penned up. Otis bravely rescues him, and the animals ride out the storm, coming out to see the havoc wreaked by the wind after the tornado has passed. I liked t ...more
Lindsay
Theme: Loving one another even the unlovable

Another great book to use when talking about the way we treat one another and loving the "unlovable" as well as not giving up on someone after one attempt to be kind.
The book would also be great for inference, where students could infer what is going to happen as we read, and discuss their thought process. I would also point out the illustrations with the dark lines and colors to have the students infer why they think the illustrator choose such color
Stephanie Croaning
I fell in love with Otis in his first book, and that feeling is multiplied in OTIS AND THE TORNADO. Loren Long is able to achieve what seems nearly impossible - 1) making a tractor cute and lovable; and 2) creating a feel-good children's picture book about a tornado. This book tells the story of friendship, courage, 2nd chances, and helping out someone in need. These are all important lessons for children, and especially children in Indiana who can relate to the farm community and severe weather ...more
Sabrina
While a cute storyline, I feel like the author didn't go as far with it as she could have. The tractor is cute, the artwork is wonderful, but it's missing something.
Jane
This is one of the best Otis books, in my opinion. I think this book has more real drama and a sweeter message than any of the others.
John Boettcher
A great children's book! My kids absolutely LOVE reading this book. An avid Weather Channel fan, they are probably the only 6 and 4 year old in the country who knows how to read a radar map.

They love the interaction between the animals and the dialogue is just a bit more than simple. But as I was reading the book to my son tonight, my daughter in a completely different room in the house was finishing the main parts of the book by yelling them to us across the house!

It's a fun book to read over
Daniel Riles
Having grown up in the Midwest, the appearance of a tornado is significant cause for fear in children. My 3.5 year old daughter has not experienced the wail of tornado sirens or the mad scramble to get to designated locations and to assume the tornado safety position.

That being said, she got the significance by each of the characters' reactions. If she really knew tornadoes, this might have been too much for her. As it was, she loves animals and tractors, so the story was just right.

She loved
Mary
A cute book about simple fun, a tornado, and dealing with a bully. Otis is a tractor who tries to play with all the animals on the farm but the bull only snorts at him. All the other animals enjoy playing follow the leader and other games. When a tornado comes, they run to safety. Then Otis hears the bull crying out in fright. Otis goes to save him and from then on he joins them in their games. A decent amount of words on each page make this book best suited for one on one sharing with preschool ...more
Sue Berg
i listened to an audio version, read by Trace Adkins
Melissa Housholder
This book is about Otis the tractor and his farm friends. They all love each other and play together, except for the bull. He isn't friends with anyone. Then something unexpected happens, a tornado comes to the farm. It is up to Otis to get all of his friends to safety, but will he remember to save the bull? I love this book. The author lived in Kentucky and knows about the weather here. There aren't too many books about this sort of weather, that I have seen. This would be a great book to read ...more
Susan
Otis, the farm tractor has a lot of farm animal friends. They play "Follow the Leader". All except the Bull. He doesn't like anyone and snorts and flares his nostrils at everyone. One day the farmer is yelling for the family to run for cover as a tornado was coming. Otis rounded up his friends and led them to safety in a dry creek bed. Then they all hear the Bull bellowing in fear. What does Otis do? Will he try to rescue the Bull before the tornado strikes? Very nice books with wonderul picture ...more
jacky
William enjoys these books, and I like them as well. We've read three in the series now and I enjoy coming back to these characters and settings.
Jocelin
4.5 stars.
Another excellent entry into the world of Otis the farm tractor. The characters are so sweet and fun to read. It makes me think "how sweet is this book". I totally love this little tractor. He has great character and courage. When a task presents its self, Otis is up for the challenge. I am so excited that this author has kept up the same quality of story telling as in the 1st Book. Highly recommend this book to Goodreads readers with children.
Jamie Davis
Otis is a friendly tractor who lives on a farm. He is friends with all the farm animals except for the bull, who does not like anyone. On the day a tornado comes, the relationship with Otis and the bull change course. This is a sweet story that can be used when discussing friendship, bullies, storms, personification, and onomatopoeia.

I loved the illustrations. The pictures remind you of "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel", but in an updated, modern way.
Judy Desetti
Otis the tractor returns. This time Otis works hard around the farm until a tornado comes in. Then he works to save the animals trapped in the barn, leading them all to safety. Finally Otis goes back for the bull trapped in his pen, even though the bull is not friendly.

Themes of friendship, natural disaster-tornado.
Makes a good read aloud.

Fabulous review on Librarian Quest Blog
Brenda Wharton
Cute kids book about Otis the tractor and how he saves the other animals during a tornado, including the mean old bull out in the pasture
Selena
I loved the classic illustrations. It reminded me of childhood books I loved. The theme was also great because it deals with something that a lot of children worry about and therefore love to read about (tornadoes) but then adds the twist of camaraderie that comes from facing a disaster together and coming out better on the other side. Would be a good read aloud especially in the spring when tornadoes are already on their minds.
  • Splish, Splash, Splat!
  • Pig Kahuna
  • RRRalph
  • Time to Eat
  • Rocket Writes a Story
I grew up in Lexington, Kentucky in the 1970’s. We had no artists of any kind in the family. We didn’t know any artists. I liked sports, especially baseball. My mother read to me a lot. But I have to admit, my favorite subject in school was gym class. I also liked to draw. My parents encouraged me to keep drawing.
More about Loren Long...