Start by marking “More Letters from Pemberley, 1814-1819: A Novel of Sisters, Husbands, Heirs” as Want to Read:
More Letters from Pemberley, 1814-1819: A Novel of Sisters, Husbands, Heirs

More Letters from Pemberley, 1814-1819: A Novel of Sisters, Husbands, Heirs

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  453 ratings  ·  47 reviews
To the delight of the many readers who loved Letters from Pemberley, Jane Dawkins's popular continuation of Pride and Prejudice, More Letters from Pemberley continues the story of Elizabeth (Bennet) Darcy's married life, picking up in 1814 and following this most popular of Jane Austen characters for another six years to the twilight of the Regency period in 1819.
Writing
Published September 15th 2007 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published July 2003)

To ask other readers questions about More Letters from Pemberley, 1814-1819, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Letters from Pemberley, 1814-1819

Delle Jacobs
More Letters from Pemberley follows Letters from Pemberley, naturally, and is a telling of the lives of Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam Darcy following their marriage. From the viewpoint of Elizabeth Darcy, these books are a series of letters written to family and friends, showing through Elizabeth's inner heart the life they are living and the love and romance that continues to bloom and struggle.

Letters takes Elizabeth through some of the great joys of her life, and some of its most painful tragedi
Maia B.
Ugh. What a boring, hackneyed, tedious wreck of a novel. How a writer as terrible as Jane Dawkins even gets into print is beyond me. Not only is her description of Elizabeth and Darcy's married life incredibly dull (and immeasurably unoriginal), but she writes in a stilted, vague, unpleasant style which grated on my nerves for the entire book.

Here's a hint, Ms. Dawkins: do not captalize words like Cousin, Sister, and Husband. It is inaccurate. It is affected. If you say, "Come here, Cousin," it
Christina
I read the first book in Dawkins series of sequels, Letters From Pemberley, over a year ago. In that review, I wished the book would have "allowed me to be privy to Jane Bingley’s, nee Bennet, letters to Elizabeth rather than just Elizabeth to Jane. Throughout the novel, Elizabeth responses to her sister’s letters but often times, I had wished that I could see exactly what Elizabeth was responding to."

My feelings and wishes have not changed.

Part of the problem with More Letters From Pemberley, a
Katherine
Although this book had more emotion than the first in the series, I found it more depressing (though it ended well). I loved the character developement of Elizabeth. Gone is the young Elizbeth Bennett and now we see her matured into Mrs Darcy, mistress of Pemberley. Life has taught her many things and she learns to help others in a way that is beautiful! (SPOILERS ALERT).. Although death touches all of us, do we really want to read about it? Do we want to hear the emotion and feel the pain? I fo ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
I enjoyed this book much more than the first one. The story picks up where the previous one left off, in 1814 and follows Elizabeth and Darcy for another 6 years. The letters are written by Elizabeth to her sister Jane, her Aunt Gardiner, and Charlotte Lucas, among others. In this story, Elizabeth has matured and grown in her roles as wife, mother and mistress of Pemberley.

The story has more drama in it, but birth and death are a part of life and, for the most part, I felt the situations create
Kim
A decent continuation of Dawkins' previous book, Letters from Pemberley. I like the portrayal of Elizabeth, seeing how she grows over the years covering in the book, and especially liked her comment at the end that she would scarcely recognize Elizabeth Bennet any more.

I did notice one thing -- at one point, Elizabeth mentions Kitty taking an extended trip to Derbyshire, staying alternately with Jane or Elizabeth, and saying something about Kitty being with Elizabeth during her lying-in in Febr
Samantha
I read More Letters from Pemberley almost two years after reading Dawkins other book Letters from Pemberley: The First Year. Though still impressed with how Dawkins maintained the Regency style of writing throughout, the sequel did not impress me as much as her first book of letters did.

However, I did enjoy how Dawkins evolved the lives of Darcy and Lizzy, giving them children and nephews and nieces to carry on the Darcy name. I also throughly enjoyed the fact that she allowed them to have sorro
Sumi
Elizabeth
A second novel that is a nice continuation of Pride and Prejudice in the form of letters from Elizabeth Darcy to various people, not just to her sister, Jane Bingley, as in Dawkins's first novel. In this book Dawkins put in some realistic life problems that tended to not occur in Austen's work. For example, Mr. and Mrs. Darcy loose their 1 year old daughter to an unknown illness. I did enjoy the part where the Bingleys and the Darcys come up with an excellent idea on dealing with the Wickhams an ...more
Soňa
Interesting reading, what it definitely does it that I have bigger mood for writting letters or reviews and my use of words is slightly different.... and I think I like it :-)

It's interesting account of what could happen to Lizzy Bennet now Mrs. Darcy at Pemberley and I like that author chose the style of letters to her loved ones. Would prefer more story as sometimes gaps between letters were big on other hand it added to autenticity that in those days post wasn't that quick.
Very enjoyable acc
Rhonda
This book imagines the continuation of the Darcy/Bennett story from Letters from Pemberly. Elizabeth writes letters to Jane about the people she meets in the neighborhood as well as the events that go on after the wedding. The events are plausible and in keeping with the original story, but for the most part, not very interesting. The author places other Austen characters in the neighborhood under other names. This felt contrived (and who would imagine Emma Woodhouse friends with Elizabeth Benne ...more
Gail
Sep 08, 2008 Gail rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Austen fans
Shelves: novels
Most books that try to tell us what happened to Jane Austen's characters after the end of her books fall way short. They bring in conversation and incidents that Austen would not have written, such as explicit sex. This book gave a plausible story to what might have happened to the Darcy's and their friends and family. The writer admits that she wrote about some incidents such as death and illness that Austen would not have written about. But I think she got the "feeling of Austen". I enjoyed th ...more
MaryBeth
This book shows Elizabeth growing and becoming a mature (tho' still young) woman while she survives life's trials and tribulations. Several of these letters were very well written and made me sob out loud. I now want to know more about the author. Save this book for when you are in need of a good cry.
Miriam
Rachel Rogers
Tracie
Generally speaking, I am a sucker for a P&P "sequel", of sorts. This was a disappointment--Austen's Lizzie has a richer, stronger character and exudes confidence. Some of these letters simply aren't Lizzie. For example, she is much too straightforward to not confide her concerns about fitting in at Netherfield to her beloved Darcy. And the inconsistencies go on from there.

Anotheramanda
Aug 12, 2008 Anotheramanda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Austen fans
I enjoyed the first book when I borrowed it from the library that I picked up the sequel the next day.

While I liked this book, I did not enjoy it as much as the original. I felt that the Elizabeth character was more forced in her writing and not as "true" to Jane Austen's vision for Elizabeth Bennet.

Any Austen fan will find this a fun way to spend the afternoon.
Sandra
Cleverly written letters from Elizabeth to various friends and family. It tells the story of their lives beautifully through 5 years - and some terrible events. The first is the death of their second daugther who aged only 1 year 7 months and then a serious illness by Darcy. I could not be happy until I completed this book in only one day.
Launa
If you are a Jane Austen fan, this is a must read. Mr. & Mrs. Darcy are back...... A quick and easy read that catches you up what is going on in the Darcy household and many other Jane Austen characters find their way into this book. If you have read the Jane Austen works and are craving more this will help fill you up.
Julie (ID)
One of the things that I love about Pride and Prejudice is the banter between the characters, especially Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth. In the book she had spunk which I really appreciate. This was obviously a collection of letters and I thought it was boring and didn't capture the spirit of Elizabeth's personality.
Babs
Mar 05, 2009 Babs rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Pride and Prejudice
I did so enjoy this book a lot better then the first one. This version was more lively so to speak and informative. Yes there were some sad points but that is part of life. This one flowed easier. I did not want to put this book down unlike the first one that I struggled with.
Hannah
A super quick read and it's delightful for anyone who's a Pride & Prejudice fan. This continues from the first book, which I've also read, and it's Lizzy's letters sent to Jane, friends, and other relatives. Immensely satisfying if you'd like to continue their story.
Aup
Aug 13, 2009 Aup marked it as to-read
Another book I started thinking I had read the first one and really liked it, but realized I hadn't read the first book, not sure if I will get to it though because I didn't finish reading the first book because it didn't have the same feel for Elizabeth.
Sandii
Kay, Mr. Darcy's Diary was better. It took awhile to get into this book. In fact, I forgot to finish reading it (which rarely happens), so ...
But I didn't read the "Letters from Pemberly", so maybe it would've been a little better with that?
Lisa
This is the Sequel to Letters from Pemberley...obviously! :) It was ok! I wasn't glued to it like most things that I have to do with Pride and Prejudice...I am really becoming a freak art I? Oh well!! I enjoyed it though, it was a good read!
Not as good as the first one since this deals with a larger timeframe (several years) as opposed to just the first year. More letters written by Elizabeth to her sister Jane but you get to read how they both grow as wives and mothers.
Leslie
Just barely OK. Acceptable filler to occupy me while Marc watches "The Simpsons" - but I'd rather have had something else to read!

it would have been better had we been able to read Mrs. Darcy's correspondents' responses, I suspect.
Daisy
I love Pride and Prejudice. And love to read more about those characters. Not so much in these letters those. Elizabeth already has her Mr. Darcy so I guess the magic isn't as great. Quick read though. Just not very substantial.
Shannon
This follows Elizabeth for another five years in her marriage. Now we also see letters to others in her circle. I still liked the voice and her situations. Pick it up if you have a couple of hours.
Becky
I didn't like this one as well as the first one because I felt she took too many liberties with the characters lives. Book one would have been plenty. Can anyone really replace Austen anyway???
  • Mrs Darcy's Dilemma
  • Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Mr. Darcy's Daughter (The Pemberley Chronicles, #5)
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • The Road to Pemberley: An Anthology of New Pride and Prejudice Stories
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • Conviction: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice
  • Lydia Bennet's Story: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice
  • The Intrigue at Highbury: Or, Emma's Match (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #5)
  • A Marriage Worth The Earning: ~To Have And To Hold~
  • From Lambton to Longbourn: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Pemberley Manor
  • Presumption: An Entertainment: A Sequel to Pride and Prejudice
  • Darcy and Anne: It Is a Truth Universally Acknowledged That Lady Catherine Will Never Find a Husband for Anne...
Letters from Pemberley: The First Year More Letters from Pemberley (Pride & Prejudice Continues) Lulie One Perfect Afternoon More Letters from Pemberley: A Novel of Sisters, Husbands, Heirs