Start by marking “More Letters from Pemberley, 1814-1819: A Novel of Sisters, Husbands, Heirs” as Want to Read:
More Letters from Pemberley, 1814-1819: A Novel of Sisters, Husbands, Heirs

More Letters from Pemberley, 1814-1819: A Novel of Sisters, Husbands, Heirs

To the delight of the many readers who loved Letters from Pemberley, Jane Dawkins's popular continuation of Pride and Prejudice, More Letters from Pemberley continues the story of Elizabeth (Bennet) Darcy's married life, picking up in 1814 and following this most popular of Jane Austen characters for another six years to the twilight of the Regency period in 1819.
Writing
Published September 1st 2007 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published July 2003)

To ask other readers questions about More Letters from Pemberley, 1814-1819, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Letters from Pemberley, 1814-1819

Donna Krug
May 27, 2016 Donna Krug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leslie
Nov 19, 2016 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austenesque, ku
I have a weakness for books of letters. In general I find them more honest and less stuffy than a polite manners we associate with the Regency period. This book is a sequel and I didn't read the original book in the series.

In this book all of the letters are from Elizabeth Darcy and written to family and friends. And there is a fair amount of angst and drama shared.

It is a creative albeit sad tale of 5 years in the life of Mrs. Darcy.
Carole (in Canada)
Jan 01, 2016 Carole (in Canada) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: JAFF
Shelves: favorites
I am so glad that Ms. Dawkins continued these letters. I found this one to be just as lovely as the first. These letters are not only addressed to Jane but Aunt Gardiner, Kitty and even Mrs. Bennet. You learned of who got married and to whom as well as births and though expected, tragedies. All in all a delightful read.
Anna
Sep 10, 2012 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: austenesque
Review originally posted on Diary of an Eccentric

More Letters From Pemberley is the follow up to Letters From Pemberley, a Pride and Prejudice sequel comprised of letters from Elizabeth Darcy to her sister Jane Bingley during her first year of marriage in 1813. This time around, the letters span the years 1814 to 1819, and their recipients include Jane Bingley, Aunt Gardiner, various new friends (who are very similar to characters from other Jane Austen novels), and even Mr. Darcy himself.

Jane D
Katherine
Although this book had more emotion than the first in the series, I found it more depressing (though it ended well). I loved the character developement of Elizabeth. Gone is the young Elizbeth Bennett and now we see her matured into Mrs Darcy, mistress of Pemberley. Life has taught her many things and she learns to help others in a way that is beautiful! (SPOILERS ALERT).. Although death touches all of us, do we really want to read about it? Do we want to hear the emotion and feel the pain? I fo ...more
Delle Jacobs
Jul 30, 2009 Delle Jacobs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More Letters from Pemberley follows Letters from Pemberley, naturally, and is a telling of the lives of Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam Darcy following their marriage. From the viewpoint of Elizabeth Darcy, these books are a series of letters written to family and friends, showing through Elizabeth's inner heart the life they are living and the love and romance that continues to bloom and struggle.

Letters takes Elizabeth through some of the great joys of her life, and some of its most painful tragedi
Samantha Martin
Jan 21, 2017 Samantha Martin rated it liked it
I am not a big fan of letter books, but I enjoyed this. I am also weary of continuing of Pride & Prejudice, but this felt it was still to the characters nature. There were moments that I was like aw, it better not, and yay.
Petra
Jan 05, 2017 Petra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
After the first Letters, I admit that I was a bit disappointed. The letters are still good, but it felt...rushed, I guess. It has similar number of pages as the first book, but it spans through five years and that has to take it's toll on the story's quality.

I liked that Dawkins didn't make Elizabeth's life only love and roses, but also pain and sorrow, because that's life and writing it otherwise would be unrealistic. I also liked that Lizzy obviously matures through the years and that Dawkins
Christina
May 22, 2009 Christina rated it did not like it
I read the first book in Dawkins series of sequels, Letters From Pemberley, over a year ago. In that review, I wished the book would have "allowed me to be privy to Jane Bingley’s, nee Bennet, letters to Elizabeth rather than just Elizabeth to Jane. Throughout the novel, Elizabeth responses to her sister’s letters but often times, I had wished that I could see exactly what Elizabeth was responding to."

My feelings and wishes have not changed.

Part of the problem with More Letters From Pemberley, a
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
I enjoyed this book much more than the first one. The story picks up where the previous one left off, in 1814 and follows Elizabeth and Darcy for another 6 years. The letters are written by Elizabeth to her sister Jane, her Aunt Gardiner, and Charlotte Lucas, among others. In this story, Elizabeth has matured and grown in her roles as wife, mother and mistress of Pemberley.

The story has more drama in it, but birth and death are a part of life and, for the most part, I felt the situations create
Maia B.
Ugh. What a boring, hackneyed, tedious wreck of a novel. How a writer as terrible as Jane Dawkins even gets into print is beyond me. Not only is her description of Elizabeth and Darcy's married life incredibly dull (and immeasurably unoriginal), but she writes in a stilted, vague, unpleasant style which grated on my nerves for the entire book.

Here's a hint, Ms. Dawkins: do not captalize words like Cousin, Sister, and Husband. It is inaccurate. It is affected. If you say, "Come here, Cousin," it
Carol Perrin
Nov 24, 2014 Carol Perrin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More Letters from Pemberley

The happenings at Pemberley were again told through letters written by Elizabeth Darcy. Heartbreaking events that happened causes our loving couple inconsolable grief, but Lizzy being not one to languish in sorrow for long brings them back to life. While Darcy is laid up, Lizzy learns just how many people's lives depend on him and the success of Pemberley. Amazed by this revelation, Elizabeth comes up with a plan to help elevate the sorrow of those less fortunate than
Kim
Apr 29, 2011 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austen-related
A decent continuation of Dawkins' previous book, Letters from Pemberley. I like the portrayal of Elizabeth, seeing how she grows over the years covering in the book, and especially liked her comment at the end that she would scarcely recognize Elizabeth Bennet any more.

I did notice one thing -- at one point, Elizabeth mentions Kitty taking an extended trip to Derbyshire, staying alternately with Jane or Elizabeth, and saying something about Kitty being with Elizabeth during her lying-in in Febr
Sumi
Samantha
Mar 31, 2009 Samantha rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, austenesque, own
I read More Letters from Pemberley almost two years after reading Dawkins other book Letters from Pemberley: The First Year. Though still impressed with how Dawkins maintained the Regency style of writing throughout, the sequel did not impress me as much as her first book of letters did.

However, I did enjoy how Dawkins evolved the lives of Darcy and Lizzy, giving them children and nephews and nieces to carry on the Darcy name. I also throughly enjoyed the fact that she allowed them to have sorro
Hayley
2.5/5. It seems to be a habit of authors of Austen sequels to make reference to Austen's novels within the story, which is.. weird and unnecessary. Like Sherlock referring to Arthur Conan Doyle (although sometimes that fits into the mysteriousness of Sherlock stories anyway). They also have a habit of filling the preface with apologies to Jane Austen and her fans which is also tiring. You've taken liberties and put in a few headcanons, we get it! If you're feeling guilty then maybe writing fan-f ...more
Elizabeth
A second novel that is a nice continuation of Pride and Prejudice in the form of letters from Elizabeth Darcy to various people, not just to her sister, Jane Bingley, as in Dawkins's first novel. In this book Dawkins put in some realistic life problems that tended to not occur in Austen's work. For example, Mr. and Mrs. Darcy loose their 1 year old daughter to an unknown illness. I did enjoy the part where the Bingleys and the Darcys come up with an excellent idea on dealing with the Wickhams an ...more
Soňa
Dec 24, 2013 Soňa rated it really liked it
Interesting reading, what it definitely does it that I have bigger mood for writting letters or reviews and my use of words is slightly different.... and I think I like it :-)

It's interesting account of what could happen to Lizzy Bennet now Mrs. Darcy at Pemberley and I like that author chose the style of letters to her loved ones. Would prefer more story as sometimes gaps between letters were big on other hand it added to autenticity that in those days post wasn't that quick.
Very enjoyable acc
Rhonda
Oct 12, 2008 Rhonda rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
This book imagines the continuation of the Darcy/Bennett story from Letters from Pemberly. Elizabeth writes letters to Jane about the people she meets in the neighborhood as well as the events that go on after the wedding. The events are plausible and in keeping with the original story, but for the most part, not very interesting. The author places other Austen characters in the neighborhood under other names. This felt contrived (and who would imagine Emma Woodhouse friends with Elizabeth Benne ...more
Gail
Sep 08, 2008 Gail rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Austen fans
Shelves: novels
Most books that try to tell us what happened to Jane Austen's characters after the end of her books fall way short. They bring in conversation and incidents that Austen would not have written, such as explicit sex. This book gave a plausible story to what might have happened to the Darcy's and their friends and family. The writer admits that she wrote about some incidents such as death and illness that Austen would not have written about. But I think she got the "feeling of Austen". I enjoyed th ...more
Miriam
Nov 05, 2008 Miriam rated it it was ok
Arlis Groves
This collection of letters was perfect to pick up when I had only five or ten minutes to devote to reading, which is most of the time. Since I have read Pride and Prejudice, it was good to see what the Darcys et al might be doing post "happily ever after." A nice contrast to some of my recent reading, which has either required great attention on my part in order to understand the content, or has been depressing.
Rachel Rogers
Julie (ID)
Mar 22, 2009 Julie (ID) rated it it was ok
One of the things that I love about Pride and Prejudice is the banter between the characters, especially Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth. In the book she had spunk which I really appreciate. This was obviously a collection of letters and I thought it was boring and didn't capture the spirit of Elizabeth's personality.
Launa
Jul 06, 2009 Launa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a Jane Austen fan, this is a must read. Mr. & Mrs. Darcy are back...... A quick and easy read that catches you up what is going on in the Darcy household and many other Jane Austen characters find their way into this book. If you have read the Jane Austen works and are craving more this will help fill you up.
MaryBeth
Jan 07, 2014 MaryBeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book shows Elizabeth growing and becoming a mature (tho' still young) woman while she survives life's trials and tribulations. Several of these letters were very well written and made me sob out loud. I now want to know more about the author. Save this book for when you are in need of a good cry.
Tracie
Feb 23, 2009 Tracie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
Generally speaking, I am a sucker for a P&P "sequel", of sorts. This was a disappointment--Austen's Lizzie has a richer, stronger character and exudes confidence. Some of these letters simply aren't Lizzie. For example, she is much too straightforward to not confide her concerns about fitting in at Netherfield to her beloved Darcy. And the inconsistencies go on from there.

Sandra
Cleverly written letters from Elizabeth to various friends and family. It tells the story of their lives beautifully through 5 years - and some terrible events. The first is the death of their second daugther who aged only 1 year 7 months and then a serious illness by Darcy. I could not be happy until I completed this book in only one day.
Anotheramanda
Aug 12, 2008 Anotheramanda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Austen fans
I enjoyed the first book when I borrowed it from the library that I picked up the sequel the next day.

While I liked this book, I did not enjoy it as much as the original. I felt that the Elizabeth character was more forced in her writing and not as "true" to Jane Austen's vision for Elizabeth Bennet.

Any Austen fan will find this a fun way to spend the afternoon.
Tracy
Dec 25, 2015 Tracy rated it it was amazing
One of the better Austen spin-offs, with a bit more speculation about future events in the Darcys' lives. I love this book for better than the first (which I really enjoyed) because Dawkins kept me attached to the characters and rooting for their well-being until the very end. I would jump at the chance to read even more from this author on the subject.
  • Mrs Darcy's Dilemma
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Conviction: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Mr. Darcy's Daughter (The Pemberley Chronicles, #5)
  • Lydia Bennet's Story: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • The Road to Pemberley: An Anthology of New Pride and Prejudice Stories
  • And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • Pemberley Manor
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • Darcy's Temptation: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice