Bears in the Night

Bears in the Night (The Berenstain Bears)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,256 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Illus. in full color. The Bears' adventures take them in, out, around, and about. "A good job of combining words and pictures into a slapstick but cohesive story."--School Library Journal.

From the Hardcover edition.
Published February 9th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published August 12th 1971)

Aine
For the record, I am NOT a Berenstain Bears fan.

BUT... this book and Inside, Outside, Upside Down are two of our favorite bedtime stories. ESPECIALLY Bears in the Night. I guess it's because the text is so easy even the smallest child can memorize it and "read" along with you. And, there is no storyline about an idiot dad.

We.... start..... with.... our.... voices..... low........ and.. slow........ until the hoot owl says WHOOOOOO! And then we read really fast as the bears run back into bed. W...more
David Sarkies
Mar 30, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids and people learning English
Recommended to David by: My parents
Shelves: childrens
A great way to learn prepositions
2 August 2013

The cover of this book identifies it as being a Beginner Book for Beginning Beginners, which sort of puts me way, way, way out of its category. This book is pretty much designed for people who are learning to read (though surprisingly, there are probably more people my age who are at this level, and have spoken English most of their lives, than the government is willing to admit).
Hey, I'm not going to knock this book because as a kid I loved it. Th...more
Emily
While this book will win no awards I still think it would be very appealing for children. Its simple language will be easy and fun for kids to read. It also contained many site words that it is important for children to start to recognize. A book like this would be great for that because it repeats a lot of words. It could also be used to teach directions such as up, down, and over. Also children might be interested because there are many other Berenstain Bear books. The illustrations did an alr...more
Connie
This is one of the earlier Berenstain Bear books, and it shows. As you can see on the the cover, the bears are less stylized and cutesy than the bears in the newer books, and the story is an early reader instead of a longer read-aloud.

It's a cute little story about several cubs (sharing a bed - cosleepers take note!) who sneak out of home one night to investigate a mysterious WHOOOOOOO.

There are only a few words per page, with a basic vocabulary, so this one is perfect little-little ones learnin...more
Evelyn Saenz
The bears sneak out of bed and go outside to look for adventure.

Using prepositions written in large print to accompany the illustrations, the authors tell the tale of where the bears to and then reverse the order as they run back home to jump safely into bed.

Great for story hour, this book is easily memorized enabling children to use it as a reference or wordwall to help them spell preposition words.

I like to use it as part of my Go Away Big Green Monster Unit Study to try to help kids find ways...more
Tawnie
Grades: K to 3 Genre: Animals
A bunch of bears sneak out of the bed at night to explore Spook Hill. They are startled by an owl and run back home to hide in their beds. This simple story is great for the earliest readers. Each page has just a few sentences that often build on the last sentence. The repetition will help young readers feel more confident by the end of the book. The simple paintings of the bears as they explore the night are full of each of the elements of the story and do a good jo...more
Jordan Lee
This is a book about little bears sneaking out of their house at night to go explore. When they are out they go all over and around until they get to a spooky hill and race back home because they are too scared. We would use this book in our classrooms not to necessarily teach about the dark but also to teach that you shouldn't leave the house without your parents. It is a perfect book for early readers because there is a lot of repetition that would allow for the students to be more involved in...more
Guen
Introduces a lot of prepositions and prepositional phrases.
Lucy Hernandez
This book offers a little vocabulary, which is great for little ones. A lot of repetition is found and basically, it is all about prepositions. There is not a variety in colors, but pictures are very detailed.

Extension:
It is time to play!!!!!. Provide items to the kids like chairs, table, pillows, boxes, so they can go under, over, through, out, in, down, between, etc. Kids love to get challenged. So, you just let them do the things you want them to do.
Dolly
Jun 28, 2008 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents going with them.
Shelves: childrens, 2008
Not sure if I like this story - showing kids sneaking out of bed and going outside at night. From the perspective of a parent of a beginning reader, it's a great book that has repetitive phrases and lots of descriptive words (over, under, through) that help with reading comprehension. Our girls like the story, although I still maintain that I don't like the idea of encouraging kids to sneak out of the house.
Perennial favorites, the Berenstain Bears readers continue to inspire children. These beginning readers offer more simplified story lines, with fewer words that still manage to convey a humorous story. In this installment, brother and sister bear have snuck out of bed, and can be found demonstrating different prepositions, over, under, and so on.
Ashley Hilton
This book is great for children who are just beginning to read. It is very simple, and interesting. The illustrations are cute and creative. Some very curious bears hear a noise so they leave their bed to investigate it. Once they find the source of that noise which is an owl, they immediately turn around and run home to jump back into their bed.
Terra Wolfe
This is the first book I ever read by myself. Then it was the first book I ever read to myself silently (though my sister didn't believe me and I had no way to prove it). My mom read this book to us in a particular cadence which I still use when I read it to my niece and nephew. My mom liked it because it teaches prepositions :).
chucklesthescot
My favourite childhood book with the cute wee cartoon bears! I still have my original copy! Ah the memories as you watch the wee bears get out of their beds and go on a spooky journey to find out what is making the noise in the woods...the bears expressions are so cute and I still enjoy looking at it and chanting along with the story!
Steph Elias
I love this book and have given my kids the original copy I got back in the 70's. It has great illustrations and the writing is perfect. It repeats the words alot so kids really remember them. This a great book for parents of younger kids, really helps with learning the words. A timeless classic that will be around forever.
Amy
By far, my FAVORITE children's book of all time. I could read this every night to Hailey. Grew up with this book, had it memorized when I was little and so enjoy sharing it with her. Our copy, from 1971, has no spine, and my brother's scribbled names and airplane drawings in the inside covers. This book has been so loved.
Cindi
Another excellent choice for beginning readers. The illustrations in this book are eye catching, and the words are beyond simple. For kids who only know a few words, this is perfect for them. My kids still want to know why the Mom never notices her kids sneaking out of their room and taking off into the night :o)
Kathy
A reader with each page having an entertaining picture and a phrase, that add up into a story about going out at night time. This is from the "Bright and Early Books" series, other Berenstain Bears are in the "Beginner Books" series from Random House. The likeable Bear Family spawned a popular PBS series.
Wickedshizuku (and the Jedi pup)
Nov 02, 2012 Wickedshizuku (and the Jedi pup) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschoolers and up
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: Scholastic Book Club
This is a cute and spooky story for the kids. My daughter isn't to much of a fan, but my son loved it. I am always reminded of Halloween when I flip through its pages. A very good lesson for children that they shouldn't leave the house when it's night time.
Spooky reading to you kids!
Bean
This has quickly become a family fav as Tey is learning to read from it due to the repetition and Bean and enjoys reading it to him too. They both think it quite humorous that little bears would seek out at night without a parent but the best part is hooting when the owl is discovered.
Christina Robbins
This is a great beginner book! Its easy to read and only has a couple word sentences. Throughout the book it has adverbs describing what the bears are doing. It teaches that it isn't a good choice to sneak out of bed or he will find something that will scare him back in bed.
Keegan
Adverbials! This book is good for both my three-year-old and my 18-month-old and they both like it. It would be the kind of book that would be a good early reader too. Oh, and could be fun for Halloween-- has that sort of spooky atmosphere, though too mild to actually be scary.
Kat
I absolutely adored this book when I was a kid! I loved the whole up, under and around stuff and I think I probably read this a million times :-) It's a fun little book, that just reminded me (when I was a kid) about the big scary things outside at night eeek!! hehe!
Ruth
As a middle school teacher, I'm always looking for clever ways to reinforce grammar and syntax and am thrilled I had found this book. Not only is it clever and funny, but it also provides many proper uses of prepositions! And it's also fun to read with my 2-yr-old!
This was my brother's favorite book for my mom to read to us before naptime when we were little. She did the best voices and would always scare the heck out of us at the end. So even if it's not Stan and Jan's longest book, it's the one that will always stick with me.
Len Washko
Now this is a top-notch B-Bears book. The cubs are on a big time adventure, complete with mystery, wild animals and big frights in the night. My youngest learned to read by memorizing this one word for word. Highly recommended as a read-aloud!
Thomas Hogle
This is a good book, but it was my least favorite berenstain book as a child. I would get to the end of the book, and think "that's it?". I like it more now that I have a little boy, and I see the value of a simple beginners book.
Angela
I love the classic Berenstain illustrations. This is a fun, slightly spooky story that teaches kids prepositions. Your early reader will be quite proud of themselves for picking up the easy sentences so quickly.
Ashley
I read so many of these growing up I don't really remember which I have, and which I haven't but there are a few that I do remember having read. But, more than anything, I remember loving all of them!
Tawny Taylor
One of my kids' all time favorite books. There's enough repetition for easy memorization for early readers. The just-spooky-enough illustrations appeal to young kids looking for a scary story.
  • Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?
  • Flap Your Wings
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • Bearshadow (Moonbear)
  • Oliver
  • Morris the Moose
  • Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo!
  • The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories
  • Biscuit
  • Let's Dance, Little Pookie
  • The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books)
  • A Birthday for Frances
  • The Magic School Bus at the Waterworks (Magic School Bus, #1)
More about Stan Berenstain...
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV