Start by marking “The Fisherman's Wife: Women of the New Testament Novel” as Want to Read:
The Fisherman's Wife: Women of the New Testament Novel

The Fisherman's Wife: Women of the New Testament Novel

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In a homeland ruled by Rome and torn by unrest, Johanna’s love for Simon, a young fisherman from Capernaum, may not be enough to hold them together. Childless, her society shames her. Rumors of messiahs and rebellion plague their village. After a new rabbi calls Simon away, Johanna must choose what to believe.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published June 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Fisherman's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fisherman's Wife

Wyndy
What if the disciples had families? Matthew, Mark, and Luke tell us that Jesus healed Simon Peter's mother-in-law, therefore; he had a wife. Church history tells us that Peter and his wife were crucified together in Rome. Ms. Sagan has taken these passages and histories to fashion a woman called Johanna as the wife of Simon. Johanna has grown up with Simon and is ecstatic when their fathers come to an agreement on a bridal contract. At first the marriage is wonderful but then troubles develop wh ...more
Kathy Stemke
Would you like to travel back to biblical times and experience the life of the wife of a fisherman from Capernaum? Then you would enjoy “The Fisherman’s Wife” by Dianne Sagan.

Dianne Sagan’s historical fiction is rich in Jewish customs and traditions. After formalized negotiations between their fathers, Simon asked for Johanna’s hand in marriage.

“Simon took her hand and placed a gold coin in herm palm as a sign of their betrothal. He said, ‘Behold, you are consecrated unto me with this token ac
Camille
Step back into first century Palestine with Johanna, the wife of a moderately successful fisherman named Simon. Diane Sagan does a wonderful job of weaving her story about this typical Jewish girl who grows into a woman during the time of religious renewal in this area of the world. Enjoy the sights, sounds, images and hardships described as Johanna evolves from young bride to adult woman in an age of difficult times and oppression.

Appealing to young adult and anyone interested in the lifestyle
Greg Sagan
Full disclosure time: I'm Dianne's husband, but I don't read "women's fiction" and I don't read Christian fiction. Having said that, I've read this book and found it riveting, and Dianne knows me well enough to assure you that I would call it crap if that's what I thought of it. This story can't escape a thread of ominous fate that runs through it, and the uplift in the message also reminds us of what our faith may cost us in earthly terms. The setting is first century, but the problems faced by ...more
ElenTikvah (Lea Coville)
Honestly, I was hugely disappointed in this story. Simplistic in its style, and superficial character development led me to push through it's short 91 pages as quickly as I could...don't expect that I'll read it again.
Karen
I loved this book. Short and sweet, but powerful. It made me feel like I was there in Jerusalem at the time of Christ.
Seana
Seana marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Pat Manno
Pat Manno marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Nancy Underwood
Nancy Underwood marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Tracey
Tracey added it
Mar 04, 2014
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Dianne G. Sagan, author of 21 books, has been writing professionally for fourteen years and facilitating groups for 25 years. She’s authored ten nonfiction books as a ghostwriter, six of which are bestsellers. Her clientele includes writers from the United States, Canada, the UK, Austria, Oman, and Australia.

Ms. Sagan has traditionally published Christian fiction and women’s fiction. Her best know
More about Dianne G. Sagan...
Rebekah Redeemed Miriam's Room Shelter from the Storm The Hybrid Author Flash Tales