Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears: The Bear Detectives” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears: The Bear Detectives

The Berenstain Bears: The Bear Detectives (The Berenstain Bears Beginner Books)

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  2,181 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Can the Bear Detectives find Farmer Ben’s missing pumpkin?
With some misguided–but always enthusiastic and well-meaning–advice from Papa Bear, they’re hot on the trail of the pumpkin thief. Illus. in full color.

From the Hardcover edition.
Published February 9th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears

Mar 05, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adored this TV show~ :) Good old PBS.
Ryley Hofferber
Oct 23, 2014 Ryley Hofferber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed "The Bear Detectives" by Stan Berenstain because I like bears. The Berenstain Bears are a family of bears that decide that they will help Farmer Ben with his case of the missing pumpkin. Ben's first prize pumpkin went missing one day. The Bear Detectives will find the missing pumpkin. First the Berenstains run into a brown and white cow that Snuff, the family dog, lead them to. Next Papa Bear finds a trail and follows it right into the pig pen. Then they find the blue ribbon that was o ...more
Alicia Sprinkle
Oct 24, 2016 Alicia Sprinkle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the Berenstain bears! This is a great Fall season book, full of fun and rhyming text.
David Sarkies
A pumpkin goes missing
3 August 2013

This is probably more comical than anything else because it is about a pumpkin that has gone missing and a group of young bears (using a detective handbook) and their father, using only his brain (or lack of it as one might suspect) go out in search of it. The problem is that because Papa Bear acts before thinking he tends to get himself caught up in a lot of trouble (such as landing in a pig pen or getting bailed up in some hay).
I'm not really sure if there
Nov 27, 2013 Colby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal
This is a very good book; I like how it sounds when I read it. I enjoyed how the words rhyme and flow while being read. It has a very interesting plot of a mystery. With Bear detective pop trying so hard to find the missing pumpkin by himself. The little bear detectives have a book that says how to properly solve cases but detective pop will not listen and keeps thinking that other things are the pumpkin thief. This book makes me laugh. I find it funny because of detective pop. He jumps to concl ...more
** spoiler alert **
Anak-anak menjadi detektif untuk mencari labu juara yang hilang entah kemana. Papa Bear dan anjingnya tidak mau ketinggalan. Jika anak-anak melakukan aksi mereka dengan mengacu pada buku. Papa memilih untuk langsung beraksi tanpa teori. Tapi Papa Bear gagal. Dan gagal lagi. Akhirnya Papa menyerah dan meminta anak-anak mengacu buku detektif. Anak-anak membaca, detektif harus mengikuti hidungnya. Hidung. Ya. Aroma pie labu. Labu juara itu sudah menjadi pie yang lezat. Mereka pun
Apr 03, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't a "Moral Lesson" Berenstain Bears book, it's an early reader.

As you might expect, Papa Bear does everything wrong, and the kids find the pumpkin thief. It's a pretty light read even for a beginning reader - some of the rhymes are a bit forced, and Papa's wrongheadedness is a little overexaggerated - attacking chickens?

But the kids like it, and it is simple for a beginning reader, and that's the important thing.
The Brothers
A typical Berenstain bear story in rhyme. Farmer Ben's pumpkin has been stolen and it's up to the bear detectives and papa to find out who. Papa Bear ends up looking foolish in his attempts to solve the mystery, per normal.

The usual in the way of illustrations.
Dec 17, 2015 Abby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Bear Detectives:The Case Of The Missing Pumpkin" is a great addition to your "fall themed" reading. It has a case to be solved. Who took the pumpkin? Where can it be? Young readers will have great fun following along to help solve the case.
Apr 27, 2013 ↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
The Berenstain Bears: The Bear Detectives by Stan Berenstain This one was was cute. It has Papa Bear and the Bear Scout looking for a missing pumpkin. As always Papa messing things up, while the Bear Scout follow the clues. ...more
Sep 01, 2010 chucklesthescot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children
Papa Bear is back! I love the books where he tries to prove that he can do things better and always lands in trouble! The Bear Scouts are investigating the case of a missing pumpkin and are logically following the clues until Papa Bear blunders in and starts messing things up. Very funny.
Apr 12, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If a child is really into easy detective stories, they might like this. Very easy, looking for clues (except Papa Bear who just jumps to conclusions and come across as stupid), but mostly not too much in this book.
Aug 07, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The Bear Detectives are on the case trying to locate Farmer Ben's missing prize pumpkin. Well, they are trying to lead an investigation but Papa Bear has a habit of getting in the way. Fun read aloud or independent read for early readers.
Jan 17, 2012 Gala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is nice for age four to six years old. The words are basic enough for emergent readers. It counts the lessons that are learned from the detective work.This book can teach about stealing.Children will enjoy the silly story and detective work.
Apr 18, 2012 Catarina rated it liked it
It as another funny book of the BB, the usual suspects however weren't interviewed or the book would only be a page long ;) Even so it's a good book to get children interested in crime solving stories.
Erin Hanton
Not my favorite Berenstein Bears book. I know as a smart and capable dad my husband really isn't a papa bear fan.
Dec 11, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng-261
This is a realistic ficiton book about looking for missing pumpkins. It's best for younger elementary students. 5 stars because I love it.
Jan 23, 2011 Katharine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kids asked me to read this to them twice in a row. They thought it was really funny. Fun early reader.
Aug 20, 2016 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My kids love all the Berenstain Bears books, and they don't realize there are important lessons in each story.
Dec 13, 2008 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, mystery, 2008
This is a fun story, with the young ones practicing their detective skills and Papa bear getting himself into trouble, as always. Our girls really enjoyed this one.
Feb 25, 2014 Netanella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I love me some Papa Bear, and now so does my three-year-old. We read this one over and over again last night - highly enjoyable story of the bears trying to solve the case of the missing pumpkin.
Jane Jackson
Jane Jackson rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2013
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2015
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Hannah rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2016
Aimee rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2013
Delie Dell Chua
Delie Dell Chua rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2014
Vickie Linville
Vickie Linville rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2012
Crystal Bayer
Crystal Bayer rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2013
Janice Thomas
Janice Thomas rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2014
  • Just a Daydream (Look-Look)
  • Good Work, Amelia Bedelia
  • Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!
  • Just Lost! (Little Critter)
  • Franklin Is Bossy
  • Clifford Takes A Trip
  • The Eye Book
  • Bravo, Amelia Bedelia!
  • Wings on Things
  • Happy Birthday, Thomas! (Thomas & Friends)
  • Curious George Goes to a Chocolate Factory
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears Beginner Books (8 books)
  • The Big Honey Hunt