Start by marking “Daredevil, Vol. 3: Wake Up” as Want to Read:
Daredevil, Vol. 3: Wake Up

Daredevil, Vol. 3: Wake Up (Daredevil Marvel Knights #3)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  594 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Ben Urich, investigative reporter for the Daily Bugle, should be covering the Kingpin's trial, so why is he spending all his time with a two-bit super-villain's catatonic son and questioning his journalistic integrity?
Published July 1st 2002 by Marvel Comics Group

To ask other readers questions about Daredevil, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daredevil, Vol. 3

Greg
Awesome artwork by David Mack. Like a lot of the best Daredevil stories this moves beyond the normal super-hero cliches and delivers something more human than some spandex indestructible ninny making wise cracks and always doing the right thing.
Aaron
And you thought Daredevil was tortured. Ben Urich, reporter for the Daily Bugle, takes it upon himself (despite his bad memories of being caught up in Daredevil's conflicts, his concerns about not focusing on a higher profile story, and J. Jonah Jameson all but ordering him to stop) to find out what caused a little boy to become mute, who is the son of C-list villain Leap-Frog and is now only communicating through drawings.

The focus is on Ben Urich's inner thoughts and Daredevil is mostly only s
Matthew
Brian Bendis' run on Daredevil is off to a rocky start. So why did I give it such a high rating? Well, Bendis' epic saga is mostly immersed in the life of Matt Murdock, but here Murdock is a minor character in a story about (long time DD supporting character) Ben Urich trying to help a traumatized child of a (missing) less-than-B level costumed villain. The story takes place simultaneously to the previous volume, Parts of a Hole, and it plays to the avant-garde strengths of artist, David Mack, w ...more
Darrell
Beautiful water color style artwork by David Mack and the story by Brian Michael Bendis isn't typical comic book fare. A bank robber who dresses up like a frog (nicknamed Leapfrog) is missing and the only person who cares is reporter Ben Urich. Ben doesn't care about Leapfrog, but rather about his son who has gone into shock. This tale shows us the domestic side of supervillains. A very human story about child abuse which just happens to take place in a world where criminals and heroes like to p ...more
Jeff Lanter
Rarely in my reviews of graphic novels is the art my real focus, because I'm more interested in the characters and plot, but in Wake Up, the art really amazed me. David Mack has a painted, watercolor style and he pushes it to the limits wherever possible. The way he draws the characters fluctuates with their mood and he gets very impressionistic and makes the characters really deformed and ugly like in more modern art to show when they become angry. This flexibility is perfect for a really emoti ...more
logankstewart
Wow. I knew Brian Michael Bendis was praised as a comic writer, and now I see why. Wake Up, Volume 2.3 of Daredevil, is deep and powerful. But as good as the writing was, the story was just as much artist David Mack's work as it was Bendis'.

Ben Urich is a Daily Bugle investigative journalist sent by J. Jonah Jameson to report on the "Crime of the Century." Instead, Ben stumbles upon something more important, the story of a boy named Timmy. Timmy is shocked into a catatonic state by witnessing s
Irene
The first part of this comic is unintelligible. I do not know what does this have to do with Daredevil or the continuous plot I like so much, it disrupts the pace of the story and the drawings are unconfortable to look at, to follow. The cuality of the drawing is not pleasant or enjoyable.
The second part, however, I retakes the quality drawings and the continuous story and pleasant pace. I did not like the plot of this comic that much, but overall it is nice. I liked the second one better, thou
Peter
Dec 14, 2014 Peter rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
With this third volume Bendis's run on Daredevil comes to an end. Some people tell me this is the definite daredevil run. Well I must say that there are some very nice moments in his run (even in this volume), but that the talking heads and the repetition factor are a bit to high for me to call this the ultimate Daredevil run.

I must also admit that I'm not a big fan of Maleev's artwork, so that is also a factor why I don't consider this the greatest daredevil run ever.

But don't get me wrong, B
Nicholas Whyte

Got this because I was very much impressed by Bendis' work on Alias, and this seemed a good place to continue following his œuvre. In retrospect I'm not sure if it was such a good choice - it's part of the ongoing saga of the Daredevil, one of the many Marvel superheroes of whom I know pretty much nothing, so I was left a bit uncertain as to how much continuity the reader should be assumed to have absorbed. Taken on that basis, it's good but not blow-me-
Federiken Masters
Jan 23, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los autores y del personaje
Recommended to Federiken by: Fama
Entiendo por qué el Daredevil de Bendis está considerado como uno de los mejores comics de Daredevil pero, al menos a esta altura, lo vi más como el comienzo de un buen proyecto que un comic de puta madre de por sí. Me gusta que venga de a dos sagas por libro. Me gusta que a cada saga le busquen un dibujante acorde a la onda que quiere transmitir la historia. Cometí el error de leer este tomo antes del 1 pero igual es bastante autoconclusivo, así que tampoco es que me cagué muchos datos ni nada. ...more
Nona
Chosen for me by my coworker, Nick, this was my first graphic novel. The story was good, the art work exceptional! David Mack's watercolors create the mood for the story, his work is beautiful. Thanks Nick!
Karel
Bendis used to write good comics.

Huh. Who knew.
It was such a hassle getting ahold of this one, because it isn't in the big collected hardbacks (it falls in between Vol 1 and Vol 2 of the Marvel Knights collections). But I really didn't want to skip over it, because I'd seen some excellent reviews, and I knew it was the beginning of Bendis' Daredevil run.

The hassle was well worth it- this was a fabulous story, and Mack's artwork is gorgeous. I love the character of Ben Urich, and so I enjoyed getting the chance to read a story from his POV.
Eric
Really gritty, solid read. Bendis does a great job of story telling here, keeping the reader kind of sad and uncomfortable through most of the piece, but the resolution of the book is really quite interesting and worth it. The art in this book is pretty amazing, going back and forth from very gritty, almost blotch, serious kind of images, to very cartoonish pictures, to very masked super hero styled illustration, to almost creepy little kid drawings. Solid stuff.
Greg Fisher
Collects Daredevil #16-19.

This story, written by former Cleveland Heights author Brian Michael Bendis, tore me up when I read it. The boy Timmy is catatonic and my own son is autistic. The resemblance between the two problems wasn't lost on me.

Daredevil (Marvel Knights edition) vol. 3.
Kurt
The story, a quiet one about Ben Urich trying to help Leapfrog's young son after an unexplained traumatic event, unfolds at a leisurely pace, with a lot of Bendis dialogue. It's one with genuine heart, even if the execution isn't perfect, and the art is incredible.
Genevieve Tyrrell
Gorgeous work from David Mack. Some of the best imagery I've seen. He has a character smoking, only the smoke itself is shredded pieces of Surgeon General Warning labels collaged together.
Fajar
"Contrary to popular belief, we do live in a world of equals. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to make themselves feel superior or perhaps inferior." - Brian Michael Bendis
Zach Danielson
Artist David Mack's unique painted style is perfect for this surprisingly dark storyline.
Tracey
Some of the most unique and beautiful art of any comics I've ever read.
Rhafamanthys Calvero
Bendis is amazing in this one!
Lucette
Lucette marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • Daredevil Legends, Vol. 3: The Man Without Fear
  • Daredevil, Vol. 1: Guardian Devil
  • Daredevil, Volume 4
  • Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller, Vol. 1

More about Brian Michael Bendis...
House of M Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl? Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 1: Cosmic Avengers