Start by marking “Among The Living” as Want to Read:
Among The Living

Among The Living

Eric should have never answered the phone. He knew it was his brother, or his mother—they were the only ones who ever called. But Marie's fingertips on his back were gently insistent, urging him to answer...

And so begins Eric's journey back into his past, where memory is as unreliable as the ghosts who walk there, insisting that they are the real ones.
ebook
Published February 22nd 2011 by Delirium Books (first published February 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Among The Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Among The Living

Char
Nov 05, 2013 Char rated it really liked it
I've been reading the short stories of Steve Rasnic Tem since I was barely into my teens. I used to use short story collections as a way of tracking down new authors, and that was how I first discovered him. I only heard about this novella a few weeks ago and last night I read it in about an hour.

Eric receives a call from his brother informing him that he has to come home right away because his mother is dying.
We accompany Eric on his trip home, where things are not quite as he remembers, if he
Chuck Rios
Jan 23, 2012 Chuck Rios rated it really liked it
This is a novella by long time horror writer and Bramstoker winner, Steve Rasnic Tem. Titled Among The Living, it is a haunting and poignant tale of love and the realities of a man named Eric, and in only ninety short pages, I just don’t know how he did it. Tem’s writing style reminds me a lot of the late, great Charles L Grant and there, of course, is nothing wrong with that and I must admit, I had never read Tem’s work before this. That’s all going to change though because Among The Living was ...more
Bill
Nov 12, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it
“It’s not uncommon to believe yourself awake when you are, in fact, sleeping. Far less common is to believe yourself sleeping when you are, in fact, awake.”

Thus starts the unsettling tale of a man going back home again and his struggle to understand the difference between reality and delusion. Searching for truth from among the living - He may not get the answers he desires.

This was my first Steve Rasnic Tem read. He definitely has the creepy factor down in this short novella from Delirium. A s
Benjamin Uminsky
Apr 05, 2011 Benjamin Uminsky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This one was really something else. I have not read much of Steve Rasnic Tem, but this story was really well done. I found it to be the perfect length (glad it was done as a novella). Nice twist at the end which was accented by the fact that the protagonist "misremebered" some key parts of the story.

The dialogue and setting of story had a Winter's Bone feel to it and really drew you in to its bleakness. This story is all about alienation and the perils of living with an overbearing nuerotic drun
Heather Gessling
Jan 14, 2013 Heather Gessling rated it it was amazing
Eric has to go home and visit his estranged dying mother and brother. This is a poignant tale about a man who has to face the fear of returning home to say goodbye and face denied realities of of his own life. This well written story is worth your time.
Bob Meracle
Bob Meracle rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Cate Gardner
Cate Gardner rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2011
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Ian Allright
Ian Allright rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2011
Shane Staley
Shane Staley rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2011
Patrickmalka
Patrickmalka rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2012
H
H rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2011
C.M. Muller
C.M. Muller rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2013
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2011
Dave Thomas
Dave Thomas rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2011
Keith
Keith rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2013
Kory Callaway
Kory Callaway rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2012
Darren
Darren rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2012
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2012
Greg Gillis
Greg Gillis rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2011
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2011
Naomi Coronado
Naomi Coronado marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2011
Naomi Coronado
Naomi Coronado marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2011
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2012
Lee Thompson
Lee Thompson marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2012
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 16, 2012
Ava
Ava marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2012
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2012
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2012
Bill Barnett
Bill Barnett marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2012
David Brown
David Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2012
Bill Floyd
Bill Floyd marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
Geoff Geiger
Geoff Geiger marked it as to-read
May 11, 2013
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Daniel Hale
Daniel Hale marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Arnela
Arnela marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Chris Urie
Chris Urie marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Aprildawnxoxo
Aprildawnxoxo marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Steve Rasnic Tem was born in Lee County Virginia in the heart of Appalachia. He is the author of over 350 published short stories and is a past winner of the Bram Stoker, International Horror Guild, British Fantasy, and World Fantasy Awards. His story collections include City Fishing, The Far Side of the Lake, In Concert (with wife Melanie Tem), Ugly Behavior, Celestial Inventories, and Onion Song ...more
More about Steve Rasnic Tem...