Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Emeralds

Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Emeralds (Trixie Belden #14)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  898 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Trixie’s on the trail of a century-old mystery! She’s headed to Williamsburg, Virginia, to find an old plantation house, Rosewood Hall, that was the home to the Sunderland family during the Civil War. Rumor has it that a cursed emerald necklace is buried in a secret passageway there. But after all that time, Rosewood Hall is just a ruin. Is it too late for Trixie to find t...more
Published 1965 by Whitman Publishing Co

To ask other readers questions about Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Emeralds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Emeralds

Dawn Michelle

THIS is my other "most favorite" of the series. I am not sure why I love this one so much, but I do. It was such thrill for me two summers ago to finally get to go to Williamsburg and see it "up close and personal". I would love to go back and really do the tours and have a full day of it.
The good that the Bob-Whites do in this book is another reason I love this read!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Naomi
For Christmas one year, my parents grabbed me the entire Trixie Belden set and I couldn't put them down. After I finished with them, they continued to purchase them as quickly as I could read them. Even with a learning disability, I devoured the books. I look back now and I find that Trixie Belden was much more age related to young girls, particularly to me, reading the books than Nancy Drew. There was something in these books that I found to be a greater escape than I did ND, too. I found that...more
Bonnie
These four books in a row in the series (12, 13, 14, 15) and the perfect summer travelogue. This book takes the Bob-Whites (minus Dan...of course) to Virginia, with a stop in Washington D.C. along the way, for a decades old mystery discovered in the Belden's Sleepyside attic. Loved the connection to the Underground Railroad that sparked the mystery. Loved the old house with its secret tunnel.

2012 Review:
Like Cobbett's Island before it, The Mystery of the Emeralds is a treasure hunt mystery, easi...more
April Brown
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Ten and up.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real world, pre - computer pre - air conditioning, pre - cell phone.

Written approximately? – 1965.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Yes. A slight mention of the time frame of the story - a...more
Mark Baker
When Trixie finds a letter in a hidden part of the attic, she concludes that there are hidden emeralds near Williamsburg. Will the Bob-Whites get to go and find them? A great trip and a fun mystery filled with the series characters at their best.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Miri
While cleaning out the attic Trixie stumbles into a secret are where she finds a letter from civil war times. The letter indicated that a cursed emerald necklace has been hidden somewhere on the grounds of an old house in Virginia. Trixie is determined to search for the necklace, but how will she get there and where would they start to look?
Joy Gerbode
This is one of my favorites in the series ... partly because I love old houses, partly because I have a soft spot for elderly people AND disabled people, partly because I am intrigued by secret passages in old houses ... and perhaps just because this one has the most sensible activites for teen-agers. Although it's quite "coincidental" that Di's parents just happen to be going where the mystery leads, AND are willing to take them all ... still, they don't get into any real serious trouble with h...more
Wendy
Funny book! How come I never understood before that Dan's presence in the series is solely to add socioeconomic diversity to the Bob-Whites? Why is a hundred-year-old mystery involving a necklace treated with exactly the same intensity as present-day mysteries involving kidnappings and murdered sheep? (Trixie keeps getting pale and sick and desperate when the smallest roadblock comes up in the mystery that she's just GOT to solve.) Trixie keeps drooling over the paralyzed guy who is oh-so-handso...more
Kelly
One of my favorite Trixie volumes. Trixie and her mother are cleaning out the attic of their very old New York state farmhouse. Trixie finds a hidden room and discovers her house was once part of the underground railroad. She finds a letter mentioning some lost emeralds. Unfortunately, the emerald appear to be lost in Virginia, and she is in New York. The end. Ha! No, not really. Fabulously wealthy friend Diana Lynch cons her parents into taking Trixie and her siblings and friends with them on a...more
Sirisha Pillalamarri
I used to read these a lot when I was younger, so picked one up for nostalgic sake. Haha, so my review as an adult is that it's is very childish and very predictable! You can figure out what they are going to do next ages before it happens. However, the classic American English and usage is interesting and the interaction between the characters is just as good as I thought it was 15 yrs ago :).
Kim
My husband thinks I have too many books. While I don't think there is such a thing, I am trying to purge. I have been rereading my childhood books. I don't usually put them in here, but this book was my favorite Trixie Belden book so far, so I thought I'd put it in here as a reminder of these classic books. A bit old-fashioned at this point, but enjoyable.
Aalia W
I loved this book.
I grew up reading Enid Blyton
and then i outgrew the Secret Seven and the Famous Five
I started read Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys
but this one book? This one was really good! I loved it!
It was a nice break from all the others i have read ...

Kathryn Kenny, YOU ROCK!
Made my day :)
Jill
I remember in this book Trixie saying to stare at something for a short amount of time and then try to remember everything you saw. That intrigued me so I played that mind game. Also, there was a secret passage in the house! I still want a house of my own with at least one secret passage.
Elizabeth Zundel
These are such fun books! They were written in the 60's and I read them all in the 70's. When my son had to read a mystery book for a school report, I picked a few of these up from the library. Loved them again!
sarah
Mar 31, 2007 sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: katie, for a re-read
Although I loved all of the Trixie Belden Books, the mystery of the emeralds was truly the jewel in Kathryn Kenny's crown. This is also where i learned the word "dungaree." I wish i used it more often.
 Tara ♪
Love this one. It was my first Trixie Belden, but not my last! I so wish that I had read the first one first, but this was as good an introduction as any.
Debra
My schoolmate Peggy owned the whole series of these books, and loaned them to me one or two at a time to read in junior high school. I loved them!
Lia
I loved this whole series my Mom passed them all down to me.
Molly's Sister
I liked this one. (partually because my birthstone is emeralds)
Erin
Oh Trixie...still geting into trouble??? Will you never learn???
Tacey
Too much travelling? Get back to Crabapple Farm already.
Victoria
This is my favorite Trixie.
PWRL
Feb 01, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Mitali
Mitali marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • The Secret of the Golden Pavilion (Nancy Drew, #36)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
  • The Witchmaster's Key (Hardy Boys, #55)
  • The Mystery of the Headless Horse (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #26)
The Kathryn Kenny pseudonym was created by Western Publishing House in 1961, three years after Julie Campbell wrote her last book (#6) of the Trixie Belden series. There were several ghost writers who wrote Trixie Belden stories under this pseudonym. Some have been identified and later credited but some are still unknown.
More about Kathryn Kenny...
The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8) The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9) The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7) The Marshland Mystery The Mystery at Bob-White Cave (Trixie Belden #11)