Start by marking “Capital Punishment: An Indictment by a Death-Row Survivor” as Want to Read:
Capital Punishment: An Indictment by a Death-Row Survivor

Capital Punishment: An Indictment by a Death-Row Survivor

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Billy Wayne Sinclair was only twenty-one when sentenced to death. Because of an accidental shooting, he spent the next forty years in prison. When the Supreme Court struck down the death penalty, Billy was re-sentenced to life without parole. Here, he offers a blistering examination of the death penalty and its origins.
Published July 1st 2011 by Arcade Publishing (first published January 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Capital Punishment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Capital Punishment

Dale Jr.
As long as I can remember, I have been against capital punishment. I can remember in high school being the only one who argued against it in a law class. I also remember hushing every argument against me by stating the reality of it all against misinformation and ignorance of the judicial system.

Billy Wayne Sinclair presents incredibly thought-provoking arguments and staggering statistics combined with an insider's perspective of death row and the judicial system in his argument against capital
Mazola1
Billy Wayne Sinclair's book is just what its cover advertises it to be: a critical examination of the death penalty by a former death row inmate. Sinclair, just 21 years old, was sentenced to death for a murder committed during a robbery gone wrong. He spent 6 years on death row, and was one of the hundreds of inmates whose death sentences were voided by the Supreme Court's 1972 decision in Furhman v. Georgia. He spent 40 years in prison, where he became a jailhouse lawyer and writer.

The centra
Larry
I enjoyed this book, but could only give it three stars. I am firmly and irresistibly anti-death penalty. Anyone choosing to start a very heated argument with me will almost always find one by starting to advocate the state using an imperfect justice system to pass on the ultimate sentence in my name. I don't justify taking it easy on murderers so don't start that, I only think that killing someone out of revenge isn't going to help anyone.

That said, this is a book with a point of view. Sinclair
Natalie
In 1965, Billy Wayne Sinclair accidentally killed a store clerk with a shot fired aimlessly into the dark after a robbery he had committed. One year later, at the age of twenty-one, he was sentenced to die in the electric chair for his crime, however unintentional. Sinclair initially dealt with his death sentence through denial, swallowing the tranquilizers the guards on death row dispensed to keep the inmates pacified. Thankfully, Sinclair became curious about the system that intended to kill h ...more
David Abbott
Very good, but it gets a bit like a broken record with the basic points repeated again and again
Roberta
I really enjoyed this author, even if I did not agree with all of his view points 100% of the time. There some typos...but it was an ebook...so not too much to complain about. Will probably read more from this author in the future.
Cheryl
Food for thought for anyone who is pro-capital punishment.
Sue
Sue is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2015
HeatherIlene
HeatherIlene marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Megan Pinney
Megan Pinney is currently reading it
Dec 27, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Tatum
Tatum added it
Jul 24, 2014
Brittany Killian
Brittany Killian is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Jared Shearer
Jared Shearer marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014