Start by marking “In Mike We Trust” as Want to Read:
In Mike We Trust

In Mike We Trust

Honesty.
He wanted it. He craved it.
He could barely remember what it was.

When Garth's uncle comes to visit, he's like a breath of very needed fresh air. Mike is laid-back and relaxed—and willing to accept Garth for who he is, without question. For the first time in a long while, Garth feels like he's around someone who understands him.

But before long Garth is helping Mike w
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperTeen (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about In Mike We Trust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Mike We Trust

Bill
Feb 28, 2009 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was nicely done and a compelling read. Truthfully, I found it slow at the start, and some of my concern was that the protagonist, Garth, feels a little flat at the beginning. His situation (dead father, overprotective mother, coming to terms with being gay) is very real and well rendered, but his voice is just a bit underwhelming as the book starts.

But over time I began to feel like I knew who this kid was, and that's a credit to the author. There is real life in the characters in
Amy
Dec 16, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, glbtq, 2010
I had a real hard time getting into this. I am so glad that I read some reviews before hand that agreed it had a slow start, then got really good.

There were a combination of things that made this difficult for me. The name of the uncle, Mike, and the boy, Garth...I kept wanting to reverse their names so bad, so it always took awhile to get back into it after setting it down. No fault of the author there. Second, I hated Mike. Even from the start. So his beginning storyline didn't draw me in, and
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Lynn Crow for TeensReadToo.com

Things haven't been going so well for 15-year-old Garth since his father died. He and his mom have had to move into a dingy apartment. She works two jobs and is always tired, while he has to pretend to enjoy working for the irritable owner of the local department store. Worst of all, he finally found the courage to come out to her - only to have her put that discussion "on hold" for an indefinite period, after extracting a promise that he tell no one els
Josh
May 27, 2010 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, glbt, ya-lit
I decided to read this after I saw it was up for a Lambda Literary award for this past year (09). I have to say, it was just an alright book.

In Mike We Trust centers around Garth, a gay teen whose life hasn't been the best since his father's death a year ago, but things turn around when his father's identical twin brother, Mike, pays an unexpected visit. Only it quickly becomes apparent that Mike isn't the most honest person in the world and maybe he really doesn't have his estranged family's b
Sean Kottke
May 25, 2011 Sean Kottke added it
Shelves: ya
Written for ALAN's Picks, April 2009 (at http://www.alan-ya.org/2009/04/alans-...)

"The surprise arrival of the prodigal Uncle Mike at Garth Rudd’s doorstep is indeed a mixed blessing for the fifteen year old. Having lost his father in a tragic boating accident, under orders from his mother not to disclose his sexual orientation to anyone outside the family, and stuck in a summer job he despises in order to make ends meet, Garth’s life is clouded by secrets and lies. At first, Mike seems to offer
Kathy
Jan 31, 2009 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Garth and his mother are trying to get on with their lives. Garth works at a job he hates and they live in a rundown apartment that his mom has to work two jobs just to keep!! All of this because Garth's mom was left with so much debt, they are having a hard time making ends meet.

In a stroke of luck, a knock on the door announces that Uncle Mike is in town. Mike is Garth's dad free-wheeling, snazzy dressing, ne'er do well twin brother. Uncle Mike never seems to have a job but always seems to ha
Sarah Sammis
May 27, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was invited to be a judge on last year's Nerds Heart YA brackets. In Mike We Trust by P.E. Ryan was the book my co-judge and I voted to move to the next round.

Garth is a gay teenager living with his mother. Both are grieving the recent death of his father and their emotional state gets in the way of their coming to terms with Garth's sexuality. He wants to be out to everyone; Mom would prefer he wait until they know for sure that it's safe for him to be that out.

In the middle of this chaos com
Diane Ferbrache
Nov 09, 2009 Diane Ferbrache rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: washyarg
Fifteen year old Garth is small for his age and frequently bullied, so when he tells his mother that he’s gay, she begs him to keep it to himself. Garth’s life changes drastically when his dead father’s twin brother, Mike, shows up. Mike is cool, he accepts Garth for who he is, and he has a great idea to make money to help Garth’s mom and for Garth’s college fund. Unfortunately, all is not as it seems…..or maybe it is and Garth’s mom is right about Mike.
This is a great story of how things can
Holyfool
it was conflicted and unbalanced. the setting was accurate and very lively.
the story line reflected too many points of views and to unclear resolutions.

very predictable and with the same generic atmosphere between the young gay teen boy and his
close p.c. female friend and confident.

in few part of the book, there were flat and repeated vignettes, almost to the point of losing
interest in their developing.

very easy reading, some interesting point of views and some feel good parts and morals.
Alisa
Nov 24, 2008 Alisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At my local bookstore, you can pick up proof copies to read and review for when the book is eventually released. I grabbed this one for no particular reason. It was an easy read, adolescent lit, but I just didn't get into it. I felt like the central character was too easily influenced by his uncle, in ways that I just didn't feel were in character. Not a bad read, but nothing I'd tell you to run out to buy, either.
Cris
Feb 07, 2012 Cris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, teen
This author really has a habit of ending things right before I find out what I want to know, doesn‘t he? Bah. Anyway. Just like in Saints of Augustine, the characters were fleshed out and very well written… I‘m just not totally convinced that Garth would‘ve kept up with the scam as long as he did, so the book lost a point for that. That‘s the only real problem though.
Heather
Jul 03, 2009 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
A lot happens and not much happens. Internally, Garth is struggling with the loss of his father, being gay, and his faith in his Uncle Mike. Externally, he acts like a dumbass, but not in a "boy" way--in a "I'll pretend I don't know what we're doing, but I totally do know" way.
Michelle
Jan 21, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting account of a teen whose long-lost uncle visits and causes an upheaval in daily life. This is an excellent YA novel on human nature, newly-realized homosexuality, trust and family dynamics. I would recommend it for anyone 15-and-older.
Brenna
Not available at my library :/
Melissa Wehunt
In Mike We Trust by P. E. Ryan (2009)
Rohan
Feb 02, 2017 Rohan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF
Megan
Garth's Uncle Mike is a sleazebag con man.
Lydia
Jun 18, 2012 Lydia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a most interesting novel, structured in a most interesting way. It focuses on family relationships -- especially those relationships you should not always trust. I truly recommend this novel.
White Fang
White Fang rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2013
Michael M
Michael M rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2013
Mika
Mika rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2017
Joshua Littrell
Joshua Littrell rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2010
Brianna
Brianna rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2014
Nappyyyboo
Nappyyyboo rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Kip
Kip rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2009
Kaylee
Kaylee rated it really liked it
May 11, 2011
Wesley
Wesley rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2009
Noel Roach
Noel Roach rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2014
Charles  Pry
Charles Pry rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2016
  • A Really Nice Prom Mess
  • The Straight Road to Kylie
  • The Screwed Up Life of Charlie the Second
  • Dishes
  • David Inside Out
  • Shadow Walkers
  • Crisis: 40 Stories Revealing the Personal, Social, and Religious Pain and Trauma of Growing Up Gay in America
  • Getting It
  • Leave Myself Behind
  • Cowboy Up
  • Absolutely Positively Not
  • The Mariposa Club
P.E. Ryan also writes as Patrick Ryan.

Patrick Ryan was born in Washington, D.C., and grew up in Florida. His work has appeared in the Yale Review, the Iowa Review, One Story, and other journals. He lives in New York City.
More about P.E. Ryan...