Start by marking “Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 1: The Fantastic” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 1: The Fantastic

Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 1: The Fantastic (Ultimate Fantastic Four #1)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  1,945 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
The World's Greatest Comic Magazine - and subject of the upcoming blockbuster motion picture - at long last makes its long-awaited debut in the Ultimate Marvel Universe! Witness the beginnings of the Four - Reed Richards, Johnny Storm, Susan Storm and Ben Grimm - super-hero icons for the new century! When high-school genius Reed Richards enrolls at a secret government-spon ...more
Published July 18th 2007 by Marvel (first published August 11th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 1

Brittany

***Fantastic Four Buddy Read with the Shallow Readers! Criteria: Fantastic Four all the way***

This was my first super hero origin story. I was convinced that I wouldn't like Fantastic Four for some reason. I even only got one of their comics because I was sure I would hate reading about them. DUMB BRITTANY.

It was amazing to watch how these intelligent people got instantly transformed into "supernatural beings", "mutants", "powerful versions of themselves", whatever you want to call them. We even
Sesana
Jul 14, 2016 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Well, it's a decent start, but hardly exciting. I think the series became better a few volumes in.
Shadowdenizen
3.5 stars. A decently strong start to the Ultimates saga.
Gavin
Feb 19, 2015 Gavin rated it really liked it
description

Better late than never...my library was just a little slow on the delivery, but I now have a stack of 9 FF volumes to get through for our Foursome Shallow Buddy Read...from LAST week...my bad...

Anyhow, here we go! Welcome to the Ultimate Marvel Universe, a place which varies slightly from the normal Marvel U, and which allows us to tell familiar stories with slight twists...

Here, Reed Richards is still a super smart kid, Ben Grimm is a big jock who defends Reed from bullies in exchange for help
Cameron Chaney
Mar 07, 2015 Cameron Chaney rated it really liked it
I picked this up because (1) I was in the mood for some comics, (2) I am only familiar with the Fantastic Four from the movies, and (3) the new reboot movie series will be based off the Ultimate storyline and I want to get a head start. Overall, I had a lot of fun with this first volume. While I do prefer darker superhero comics, I loved the bright colors and all the attention to detail that went into the art. Also, the dialogue and story were well written, fresh, and entertaining. Not bad!
Jedhua
Jul 02, 2016 Jedhua rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Book Info: This collection contains Ultimate Fantastic Four issues #1-6.

description

Ever since Reed Richards was born, he has had a curious mind. As a preteen, his obsessive tendency to tinker with household gadgets and appliances constantly got him in trouble with his hot-tempered father, and he was regularly bullied in middle school. Linebacker Ben Grimm was his only friend, and – in exchange for afterschool math tutoring – would always rush to Reed's defense against his tormentors. At age 11, Reed esta
Stacey
Sep 14, 2008 Stacey rated it really liked it
Everything I know about the Fantastic Four I know from the movie so I was intrigued to visit the ultimates version of the team.

The Fantastic is the origin story for the new team. They're younger than the classic tale so Bendis and Miller have to massage things some for them to be where they're supposed to be. Reed and Sue are easy. They're both geniuses so it makes sense that they'd be together at a special school. Johnny (my favourite by the way) is Sue's brother so he'd be with them because he
Dan Smith
Sep 29, 2014 Dan Smith rated it really liked it
One of the superior sets of Marvel graphic novels, but it still has a good few floundering episodes. The whole series spans Issues 1-57, collected across 11 slim volumes, each largely dealing with one story. The interactions and snark between the leads are a big draw, with fun dialogue and a willingness to mock superhero conventions. There's also a more sophisticated role for Sue Storm which sees her leadership and scientific genius come to the fore, and just about forgives the decision to give ...more
Dan
Jan 26, 2014 Dan rated it really liked it
Here Bendis and Millar reboot the Fantastic Four for the Ultimate Universe and they changed the origin quite drastically. For me though, this worked pretty well. The original Fantastic Four origin felt a bit naff and instead here we get a pseudo-science explanation which works.

I really liked how they made the Four more human here. We get a reasonable amount of backstory and see the majority of Reed Richard's life up to the point of the accident. The writers really nailed him and the origin felt
James
Oct 26, 2015 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A fun revamp of the Fantastic Four for the Ultimate Universe. This trade is a six-issue origin story, pulling the team together via a special think tank for teens and then mutating them spectacularly with an experiment gone awry.

The volume's slack pacing is a hallmark of early 2000s storytelling, but it does give the series time to build the characters' personalities. It's nice to have Reed and the rest of the crew reenvisioned as teenagers, as it does give the series a welcome freshness: the gr
Denisa
Feb 04, 2015 Denisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Nah, tak to se mi sakra líbilo ^_^
Jack Gattanella
Oct 25, 2012 Jack Gattanella rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny-books
Funny how I originally rated this a '3' upon being halfway through it and end up giving it a '4', this origin-cum-reboot comic called "The Fantastic" that's a collaboration in this volume with Brian Michael Bendis (who, as you may know, comes from the likes of the series Powers and Ultimate Spider-Man, so he damn sure knows his superheroes) and Mark Millar (Kick-Ass, and the Ultimates and other such stuff). I stalled on the book but came back to it, and it's a very fast read, at least for me.

Pe
Travis
Aug 02, 2012 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Good, but not great. Very little of the magic that marvel's flagship title should have and the continuing need to take stories that were done in one issue and stretch them out to six.
Six issues and we meet the leads, give them their powers and have them fight their first bad guy. To do that you better be a genius or resort to a lot of padding.
Hint: Millar and Bendis are not geniuses.

When the Four are together, they click and the writers have a solid handle on them. Impressive, since writing a li
Justin
Nov 25, 2016 Justin rated it really liked it
Can it be that someone actually made the Fantastic Four cool? Before reading Ultimate Fantastic Four, I would have said that it was an impossible feat. Characters like Wolverine, Ghost Rider, Daredevil, and the Punisher are cool, but the Fantastic Four? With those outfits, the out of this world science and Reed's graying temples? Aside from the Human Torch (who's cool due to the fact that he's on freaking fire), Reed Richards and company have always seemed like the reigning dorks of the Marvel U ...more
James
Feb 11, 2014 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: tpb, comics
I had been wanting to check out some of the comics from the Ultimate universe for a while and decided to give Ultimate Fantastic Four Volume 1 a try. I had read some of Earth 616 comics of the Fantastic Four, so I was already somewhat familiar with the characters and storylines. Bendis and Millar's collaboration, I thought, was a refreshing take on the origin that kept me engaged the whole time through. I liked the fact that Reed Richards was a science geek in high school that got picked on a lo ...more
Matt Anderson
Feb 27, 2014 Matt Anderson rated it it was amazing
Collects Ultimate Fantastic Four issues #1-6

I don’t know a lot about the Fantastic Four in the Ultimate Universe, but I heard that the Fantastic Four film coming out in 2015 is an adaptation of the Ultimate story. I decided to check it out, and I’m glad I did. It was a great origin story, modernized for a new generation of readers. Also, all of the main characters have been de-aged from how they were portrayed when they originally debuted. Most of this volume depicts them as teenagers.

Instead o
Riki
Mar 25, 2012 Riki rated it really liked it
I don't keep up with comics, so when I found out what the whole deal is regarding the "Ultimates" world, I was pretty excited. For anyone that don't know, the Ultimates is basically rebooting the Marvel comics in its own universe (the Ultimates universe). So Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, etc., all got a new origin tale and everything is modernized.

I love the concept of the Ultimates universe, and I loved what the writers (and artist) did with Fantastic Four. I never cared for the FF team, ever. I
Edward Cheer
Mar 30, 2015 Edward Cheer rated it liked it
A decent opening to this new series on the classic Marvel team. I've enjoyed the F4 since I was little, and this new story was... decent. It wasn't completely gripping, but it had my attention. I almost rolled my eyes, however, when Reed was taken to that same secret school for smart kids that Tony Stark was taken to in Ultimate Iron Man. But the story is like an old comic book story. Crazy stuff happens, villains pops up out of nowhere, heroes do their thing. But it's got a lot of good dialogue ...more
Eric
Jul 13, 2009 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superheros
Okay, this series is really growing on me. I guess I just had to get past the mental scarring done by the movies :) I really like this version of the FF origin. The only thing that doesn't quite fit is The Thing, but in a way its kind of nice he doesn't fit in perfectly since everything else feels a little too insulated.

My only real complaint still is the use of "dude", etc. I mean they had to have been born in the 90s, long after the death of 80s slang. But they were psuedo-nerds, so why not?

I
Moe
Apr 19, 2013 Moe rated it liked it
A different origin story for the Ultimate version of The Fantastic Four that worked well enough but fell into some age old comic cliches does the only female of the group always have to be the kidnap victim? I was surprised that Brian Michael Bendis would produce an origin story that is slightly generic though kudos for giving Sue Storm a brain after fifty years. Kubert's art was fine not particularly exciting and some of the character design seemed odd I don't take the misogynistic fanboy view ...more
Rebeca Arruda
May 02, 2015 Rebeca Arruda rated it really liked it
This was my first comic ever and I'm really glad I waited so long because it was totally worth it. I grew up with the Fantastic Four movies, and now that it's so close to the reboot, I've been slightly obsessed with it. So I bought a bunch of comics about them and started reading.
Ultimate has a fresh narrative, and I think it's really great to see the characters so young because you, as a reader, get to know them and fully comprehend their stories. (view spoiler)
B. Rule
Nov 11, 2016 B. Rule rated it liked it
Decent but not great. Bendis and Millar work hard to give some depth to the backstories of the team, but almost all of the character work ends up going to Reed Richards, at the expense chiefly of Sue, who is at best a cipher, and Johnny, who is a caricature. Further, the pacing is fitful with confusing flashbacks that don't seem to match up to the visible ages of characters (e.g., according to the captions, Reed is 10 years old in one, but looks like he must be at least 16 or 17 and acts accordi ...more
Colin Moon
Jan 08, 2012 Colin Moon rated it really liked it
I had avoided the Ultimates books for a really long time and then, out of nowhere, got a sudden urge. The FF have never been my favorites, but this book captivates. Re-telling classic stories with strange, new angles is always a fantastic excersise, I feel, and Marvel wasn't screwing around when they started the whole project. I'm instantly more endeared to these four than I have been in years, likely since I was a child, and the darkness surrounding Reed's brilliance is subdued, the Four's yout ...more
Sean Brennan
May 16, 2013 Sean Brennan rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The art of Adam Kubert was quite simply magnificent, alas the story let if down. This arc should have been entitled Reed Richards and the Fantastic Three, as the other members sadly did not really get a look in. I felt that the series would have gotten off to a better start by concentrating on the FOUR individuals that comprise the group, instead of simply gaining their powers and then immediately fighting the moleman, that said Kubert's portrayal of both him and and his fawning molemen was a wo ...more
Ma'Belle
Feb 09, 2009 Ma'Belle rated it liked it
I read the first two volumes of Ultimate Fantastic Four as one combined hardcover volume (and as part of my current Warren Ellis binge).

I gotta say, Bendis, Kubert, and Ellis all did a great job writing an origin story about a team I'd never previously cared for but am now fascinated by. I hope the series continues to be as enjoyable.
Lissibith
Mar 25, 2012 Lissibith rated it really liked it
I've always liked the idea of the Fantastic 4 and their human interactions, but until Ultimate Fantastic 4 I never really read any of their comics. This was a great place to start, going over the familiar backstory in a new way and really playing up the interpersonal relationships between them. If you're looking for a good way to get into comics, you could do a lot worse than this, a fun and well-paced comic with engaging and largely realistic characters, at least in terms of comic book folks.
Blake
Feb 09, 2014 Blake rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, reviewed, 2014
I know very little about the Fantastic Four.

I don't know how this compares with the canonical origin story for the F4, but I liked it. And it seemed a helluva lot better than the movie I saw.

I like comics and I like superheroes. An invisible lady, a guy who can burn like a sun, and a dude made out of rocks.... I can get behind all of that. I have a hard time accepting Stretchy Man. It's so silly.

And I don't know why, but The Thing sounds like Hellboy in my head.
Sam Poole
Nov 26, 2014 Sam Poole rated it really liked it
You know what? This was pretty fun. I know things in the Ultimate universe get very sketchy, but this was accessible and an entertaining new look at the FF. Reed isn't a dick for the first time! And Sue can fly and make force fields! Yay! The Thing was characterized somewhat weakly, though, and Johnny is basically nothing at this point. The less of a damsel in distress Sue is the better, of course. Looking forward to reading more!!
Jeff Raymond
I mean, okay. This is the Ultimate reimagining, so they're younger and different, and that's fine. The story, however, seems to be overly reliant thus far on Big Scenes with Big Battles and Big Explosions.

This might be common for the Fantastic Four, but I'm fairly unfamiliar with them on a whole. It's a different read, and for an origin story...okay. We'll see how this goes. But I'm not convinced yet.
Mike
Feb 09, 2012 Mike marked it as to-read
Bendis kicks this off with a killer take on the premise of a super-genius stuck in normal high school, and how little the world around him makes sense - and how much he pursues his brain-trips even without any support or peers. I can almost feel the misery and hope coming off the page, Bendis personifies it so well.
The Reshooting of the Reboot movie 1 3 Jun 02, 2015 07:47AM
Goodreads Librari...: Unmerge requests for Ultimate Fantastic Four 7 27 May 09, 2013 07:34AM
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 2: Doom
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 5: Crossover
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 4: Inhuman
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 9: The Tempest

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

Ultimate Fantastic Four (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 2: Doom