Start by marking “The Gladiators from Capua” as Want to Read:
The Gladiators from Capua

The Gladiators from Capua (The Roman Mysteries #8)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  668 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Gladiators are the exciting theme of the eighth Roman Mystery. A unique series of detective adventures for children. CD version contains atmospheric sound effects and specially written music to evoke the Roman era, such as the water organ played in the Colosseum.
Audio, 1 page
Published July 1st 2004 by Orion Children's Books (first published June 1st 2004)

Staara
Feb 17, 2016 Staara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was slightly better than some of the other ones.
Though I have to say I didn't like the idea of putting the gory details about what happened to some of the people in the games into the book-considering children will be reading it.
There is a little too much on the games for me, it got boring and I skipped several paragraphs.
If you're going to write for children, then at least try to make sure that the scenes are appropriate for their age. Lawrence seems to half write for readers older th
Marie
Feb 25, 2015 Marie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-children
I have been reading these books to my daughter as we are studying the Roman Empire. So far, we have both enjoyed this series, even though a few elements are a bit hokey (young children who always manage to be the heroes and are always mixing with famous historical characters.) But this one is actually quite unpleasant. All the blood and gore of the Games and the fighting and executions.... it may be a good historical presentation, but as a read-aloud (often near lunch time) it has made me feel s ...more
Tchipakkan
I have had no quarrels with Lawrence's research until this book. She has explained so many bits of Roman daily life, I wish she'd covered this one that the modern world has wrong, although she might have had to reference at least one culture that used the gesture as we do to justify the explanation.
Unless my sources are wrong, the "thumb up" position (with the hand moving downward) imitated the hand holding a dagger when slaying the downed gladiator. The thumb down (then rotating the hand) imit
Emma Wallace
Mar 29, 2016 Emma Wallace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Wow- such a transitional book; definitely an indication of a new adult themed direction to the proceeding books. The atmosphere and ambiance of the gladiatorial games made me nostalgic for my Latin sources days and I definitely loved the greater concentration on my favourite character: Nubia. I am glad Jonathon's pubescent angsty phase didn't last for long!
Candy Wood
This book completes the story begun in The Enemies of Jupiter, but it also works on its own as an account of the games in Titus's arena now known as the Colosseum. Flavia Gemina, Nubia, and Lupus are all involved in finding the missing Jonathan, with many exciting plot twists. Readers also see that all kinds of people, including Flavia's aunt and Flavia herself, enjoy the spectacle and are fascinated by the violence and death. Even though the focalizing character is often Nubia, who is horrified ...more
Maria Katrina
Oct 29, 2013 Maria Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Gladiators from Capua is a fictional historical book which is set during Titus' rule over Rome in AD 80. The book is about a group of friends that head to Rome on the pretence of watching games from the Amphitheatre (Coliseum). In actual fact, Flavia, Nubia and Lupus are looking for their friend Jonathan who they previously thought died in a fire in Rome. They soon find that Jonathan accidentally caused the fire and to ease his guilt, ran away from family and friends in the intention of beco ...more
sabisteb
Mar 10, 2011 sabisteb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dieser Band ist wirklich heftig. Caroline Lawrence erspart einem kaum etwas bei der Beschreibung der grausamen Spektakel die damals geboten wurden (basierend auf Zeitzeugenberichten). Die Blutgier und der Blutrausch erfassen auch die Protagonisten. Jonathan quält sich noch immer mit Selbstvorwürfen und hat mit seinem alten Leben abgeschlossen, er will eigtentlich nur noch sterben.
Falvia wird fast von Flußpfernden und Krokodilen gefressen, Jonathan besteht seinen ersten Kampf als Galdiator und so
Bhavya Gupta
It was Nancy Drew kinda book. And though I love me a good thrilling mystery, those were never my books. This one wasn't either.
It didn't help the matters that this was the 8th book in the series, and yes, they can be read as stand-alones, but still, you can always tell when you are among the people who all know each other and you are, well, there.
So anyway, nothing against the book, but this wasn't just my book.
On second thoughts, I do kinda hold the unnecessary gory against it! :p
Ujwals
Nov 29, 2013 Ujwals rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an average book. I liked it for some reasons, and didn't for other reasons. The reason why I liked this book is that it has authentic Roman life description. It includes real people from that time, like the emperor, and it is historically realistic (ex: slaves, and different religions). However, I did not like the historical event that took place in this book. In this book, the Colleseum is opened, and there are many celebrations. These celebrations are realistic, but I did not like the ...more
Leah
Mar 24, 2015 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older Children/Teens into Mysteries
Recommended to Leah by: The front cover enticed me
Shelves: childrens
Another good one from the series, this one being a lot more action-filled and frightening than the previous stories. Making this one more of an action novel than a mystery.

I was excited by the thrill of the story-line in this book. I loved that Nubia was desperately trying to find her brother, and that the others were so certain that Johnathan was alive that Flavia pretended to be an orphan just to get into the amphitheatre. I loved the pyschological element of how each character reacts to the b
Magda
I think this one is my favorite so far, although it still seems that for this series I have to suspend disbelief more than usual.

Also, about the thumbs:
is what I learned in Latin class: thumbs up means kill, thumbs down means mercy.

However:
says that there's nothing to specify exactly what pollice verso actually means, so it could just be a thumb turned to the side.

Nonetheless,
Vicki Cline
Aug 09, 2012 Vicki Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roman-mysteries
At the end of the previous book in the series, Flavia, Nubia and Lupus believed that Jonathan was killed in a great fire, but actually he accidentally caused it and is hoping to expiate his guilt by staying away from friends and becoming a gladiator (even though he's only 12). The other three friends become involved with the games also and Nubia discovers her older brother among the gladiators. Quite an exciting bunch of adventures in this one.
Lori
May 05, 2016 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another really fun book - lots of pretty gross descriptions of gladiatorial games (lots of "ewwws" from the girls and myself), but enjoyed the story line - there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth when we had to stop, but eventually some people have to go back to work! :) Moved right along to the next in the series.
Matthew Do
Jan 01, 2012 Matthew Do rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very interesting because they had to get some clues to look for Jonathan with a bunch of soldiers guarding the gates. They were trying to find some ways to get back to Ostia, but they trapped them with a flow of water inside. They had found Jonathan after the final event ands they happily headed back to Ostia.
Audrey Foo
This is a book with many vivid descriptions of life many decades ago. Quite violent, in other words, very blood filled, however, the plot is reasonable. Bit hard to understand if you hadn't read the first few series as it continues on from pervious book.
Rachel S.
Apr 27, 2008 Rachel S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
in this CANT PUT DOWN BOOK!
Flavia and Nubia morn johnathins death from the fire but then loupus is saying he just may be alive!
mean wile the roman games are going on and they sooner relise that there belovid friend is closer than they relised!!
Phair
Not much mystery to this one but lots of action both physical (some gory) and psychological. The bad guys have some good points and the good guys have moments of bad actions. Wouldn't rate this as one of the best but still good.
Susan
Jun 11, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More violent and disturbing than the others. I consider this one to be on par with the intensity and mature themes of the Hunger Games.
Brett
Mar 07, 2010 Brett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-mystery
This book very effectively portrays the absolute brutality possible in the Roman empire. Not for a faint-hearted kid.
Joanna
Mar 13, 2008 Joanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I am not done reading this one but I love it so far!!!
You can get the whole seiries from the library.
Mrs. Roy
The gladiator details were AWESOME! And Jonathan being all stoic and removed was cute.
Diana Sandberg
May 25, 2012 Diana Sandberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is still quite interesting and enjoyable; good character development.
Aug 05, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great plot.I love all the action!
Philip Sosnin
Philip Sosnin rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Rachel
Rachel added it
Jul 13, 2016
Luna
Luna added it
Jul 13, 2016
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Anika
Anika added it
Jul 11, 2016
Francisco van Zeller
Francisco van Zeller rated it did not like it
Jul 05, 2016
Klara Oh
Klara Oh rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2016
  • Jinx (Lady Grace Mysteries, #10)
  • Black Heart of Jamaica (Cat Royal, #5)
  • Pompeii: A Roman Girl's Diary, AD 78
  • Crusade
  • By Royal Command (At the House of the Magician, #2)
  • Sweet-talking TJ
  • Princess Alice and the Glass Slipper (The Tiara Club at Silver Towers, #4)
  • Permanent Rose (Casson Family, #3)
  • Tiger, Tiger
  • The Ruthless Romans
Caroline Lawrence won a scholarship to Cambridge to read Classical Archaeology, then did a degree in Hebrew and Jewish studies at University College London. She now lives in London with her English husband and teaches Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Art and French to children.

Series:
* Roman Mysteries
Western Mysteries
More about Caroline Lawrence...

The Roman Mysteries (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Thieves of Ostia (Roman Mysteries, #1)
  • The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2)
  • The Pirates of Pompeii (Roman Mysteries, #3)
  • The Assassins of Rome (Roman Mysteries, #4)
  • The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5)
  • The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries, #6)
  • The Enemies of Jupiter (The Roman Mysteries, #7)
  • The Colossus of Rhodes (Roman Mysteries, #9)
  • The Fugitive from Corinth (The Roman Mysteries, #10)
  • The Sirens of Surrentum (The Roman Mysteries, #11)