Start by marking “Civil War: The Road to Civil War” as Want to Read:
Civil War: The Road to Civil War

Civil War: The Road to Civil War (Civil War: A Marvel Comics Event)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  4,784 Ratings  ·  187 Reviews
Ripped from the pages of New Avengers, the Eisner Award-winning team of Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev present an explosive hidden story of Marvel's secret past, the secret history of Marvel's most secret team - how they came together and how they are ripped apart. Plus: Spidey's got a new lease on life, new powers and a new costume, courtesy of his new best friend Tony Star ...more
Published February 21st 2007 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Civil War

Kemper
May 02, 2016 Kemper rated it liked it
Apparently the roads to both Hell and Marvel’s Civil War are paved with good intentions…

This collection pulls issues from several comics to tell essentially three stories that lay the groundwork for the upcoming conflict. The first shows a previously unknown piece of Marvel history in which the Kree/Skrull War that nearly destroyed Earth so rattled Tony Stark that he gathered a small group of influential figures to convince them that the superheros and mutants need to organize and join forces to
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

Marvel Civil War!

When I started back reading comics, I had a lot of people recommend this one. Well, after finishing The Road to Civil War, I’m beginning to think they were right.

This comic collection grabbed my attention right away with New Avengers: Illuminati. The classic, old school artwork by Alex Maleev really worked for me, setting the eerie mood perfectly for Brian Michael Bendis’ tale of this super secret group of Marvel alpha dogs who take it u
Anne
Jan 14, 2010 Anne rated it liked it
A little back story on some things that happened before the Civil War started. You also get a glimpse of what happened prior to the Planet Hulk story, if anyone is interested. Hmmm. All in all, you could skip it and not be out of the loop. However, it does paint Tony Stark in a questionable light toward the end, so maybe that alone would be worth reading this one.
Justin
Dec 25, 2015 Justin rated it really liked it
The new Captain America movie looks awesome and since all I read these days are comic books and graphic novels... yeah. why not travel down the Civil War story arc!?

I promise I'll try to read books without pictures next year. Thanks for indulging me these last few weeks. I don't think I've lost any friends along the way...

And Merry Christmas you guys. Hope it was awesome.

Anyone seeing Star Wars for a second time this weekend?

Time to go dubsmash....!! KAPOW!
Julia
May 25, 2016 Julia rated it it was ok
Shelves: marvel-comics, 2016
I guess I took something away from this...?

New Avengers: Illuminati:
This artwork was really unappealing and this all-male group of superheroes including Iron Man, Black Bolt, Mr. Fantastic, Namor, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, and Professor Xavier basically tried to form a superhero version of the UN and that was voted down and they fought because none of them can get along.

Fantastic Four #536-537:
So Thor's hammer has landed on Earth after Ragnarok and the FF are called there when Doom shows u
Sesana
Mar 12, 2012 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
The idea of this trade is to lay out the groundwork for the events of Civil War. It does this through three separate storylines. The first is the single issue Illuminati, which has the strongest writing in the collection. The idea is that some of the most influential voices in Marvel's superhero communities have been secretly meeting for years. The second storyline is a two-issue Fantastic Four thread that honestly didn't do much for me. Not a FF fan. Finally, there's a three-issue Spider-Man st ...more
BlueLilyxLilyBlue
I liked this, although, there were parts that I didn't really care about. Like the Fantastic Four ones with Dr. Doom trying to find and use Thor's Hammer. But I did enjoy the secret meetings Tony Stark and some of the major characters were having to discuss the Superhero Legislation Act and what each of them thought about it. I liked all the parts with Spiderman. I thought his conversations with Tony were very meaningful. I am hoping some of these would translate into the movie.
Alex Ristea
Oct 14, 2014 Alex Ristea rated it really liked it
OK, so I've signed up for Marvel Unlimited mainly to read the Civil War story arc, but I can only imagine that I'll get sucked into even more once I'm done.

(If you haven't heard the news, Tony Stark will be in Captain America 3, which many are speculating will tie neatly into the Civil War theme, if not directly to the ideas here.

This was a decent starting point, and honestly my first real foray into superhero comics. I'm a fan of graphic novels, but so far have only read things like Watchmen, T
Kyle
Apr 07, 2014 Kyle rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel
This worked well as a quick primer of the major events that came before Civil War. It reminds us that Ragnarok has happened, that Spider-Man is under Stark's thumb, that Scarlet Witch and the House of M are still sitting very high in the nation's collective consciousness, that the mutants are still struggling with the fallout of M Day and the 198, and that there is a high level of fear towards all superheroes brewing in the American government.

Especially, The New Avengers Illuminati, is an impor
Brad
Aug 23, 2007 Brad rated it liked it
Recommends it for: crossover completists
Shelves: comics, marvel
My library got a LOT of Marvel's Civil War books, so I thought I'd start it off right.
Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev's New Avengers: Illuminati is a good continuity-steeped, talking-heads superhero book. Straczynski and McKone's Fantastic Four story has a nice return for Dr. Doom (he literally comes back from hell), but feels mostly like it's introducing a chess piece in the return of Thor's enchanted hammer. Straczynski and Garney's Spider-Man story tries to show off all the moral complex
Sookie
Dec 02, 2015 Sookie rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2015
[Re-read after half a decade]

A glimpse into the events that would one day lead to a massive rift between superheroes. Friends and families stood on opposite sides when the line got drawn. Tony Stark does what he thinks is best for humanity without acknowledging repercussions of his own actions.

House of M gets mentioned (in which Scarlett Witch messes with reality) and Hulk's destruction of Vegas. These two become triggering factors to half of the public that is weary of collateral damages induc
Kayla Eklund
Dec 29, 2014 Kayla Eklund rated it it was amazing
I loved the beginning of the Civil War series. I forgot how much I loved some of these characters, especially The Thing. I'm interested to see what happens next. I have all of the comic books in the series, and will probably binge read them tonight, before I have to return them to the library tomorrow.
Amanda
3.5 stars.

I wasn't super interested in the Fantastic Four comics, but the first comic and the Spider-Man comics were FANTASTIC. The art wasn't my favorite, but the writing and storyline were great!

Civil War is coming...
Tiara
Jan 29, 2016 Tiara rated it liked it
The most important part of this book is that Doom is the real MVP (and got trolled by Thor's hammer).
J'aime
Jan 23, 2014 J'aime rated it it was amazing
While working my way through the Marvel events, I found that each usually has some kind of prelude, or road to set-up book that collects some issues to help orient the reader to what’s coming. They set the stage. Of the few I've read so far, this is the best set-up collection I've seen.

I’m familiar with the basic premise of the Civil War event, but am just now starting to read the graphic novel collections. The most important aspect of this book is the Illuminati one shot. The greatest superhero
Christian Petrie
Oct 11, 2010 Christian Petrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I had heard about the Marvel Civil War story arc when it was being first published. The concept was interesting and I was curious. When I saw this book at the library, I thought it would be a good way to get started into it. I was already familiar with what happens during the Civil War and which super heroes were on which side. This is graphic novel is a good way to lead into the story arc.

This novel is comprised from three comic lines:

New Avengers Illuminati Special: Issue 1
Fantastic Four: Issu
star_fire13
Jan 01, 2016 star_fire13 rated it really liked it
Well, now I know what lead to the Superhero Registration Act, although I don't know how much that cleared up for me haha

I had no idea that Peter Parker worked as Tony's assistant. Tony must be like, almost 50? I imagine him to be RDJ's current age. Parker seems to be in his mid-20s, which by now is too late (although let's be real: in Hollywood, not really) for the mid-30s Andrew Garfield to play him, but now I'm sad that they recasted SO YOUNG.

I realize that Reed is a strong figure, but I did
Trin
Sep 15, 2008 Trin rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphicnovel
Less interesting than the Iron Man: Civil War collection I read, and sadly, just as confused, as Marvel insists on assembling the stories that make up this arc in a seemingly random order. I enjoyed the issues with Peter and Tony (if there were a Peter Parker Fanboys Tony Stark book, I would read it gleefully), but I have no idea what the stuff about the Fantastic Four and Thor’s Hammer has to do with anything, because as far as this collection is concerned, we’re only privileged enough to read ...more
Victor
Aug 16, 2014 Victor rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Not a big comic reader so I came into this expecting a nice set up to the Civil War crossover event. After reading it I would say that it isn't necessary to read this book before getting into the Civil War arc, although doing so will give you some interesting back story. It is very jumbled in the sense that it includes randomly related (more like semi-related) issues of various comics that help shape the beginning of this event. Overall however it serves its purpose and gives you a good sense of ...more
Nicole
Dec 28, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it
Recommended to Nicole by: Jamina Fritts
A couple of people have recommended this series to me, and what I've seen so far has been worth reading.
"Mr. Parker Goes to Washington" was the best thing about this volume.
I didn't think the Doombots/Thor story was necessary to the collection; but I'm the type of person who doesn't understand why the inscription on Thor's hammer is in English and not Runes...and I'm not a huge fan of the Fantastic Four.
Lisa Burgess
May 06, 2016 Lisa Burgess rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Ich habe noch überhaupt kein Gefühl dafür, wie ich Comics bewerten soll. Nun gut...
Seit dem Civil War Film beschäftigt mich die Problematik, die dort angesprochen wird, und um ein bisschen mehr von den einzelnen Standpunkten zu erfahren, habe ich eine kleine Comicreise begonnen. In dem Band habe ich zumindest schon einige neue Ansichten gefunden, die mir helfen.
Whatever.
Javier Muñoz
Aug 25, 2016 Javier Muñoz rated it liked it
Lo mejor el especial de los illuminati. Los números de spiderman con iron man como invitado son bastante recomendables, sirven para dar trasfondo político y moral al evento y en conjunto explican el posicionamiento de Iron Man, los números de los cuatro fantásticos me parecen prescindibles, corrientuchos y muy predecibles, huelen a relleno que tiran para atrás.
Michael
Feb 19, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is a good lead into Civil War (and Planet Hulk), as there's not a lot of action, but instead there's a good deal of buildup. Bendis is comfortable writing teams and dramatic dialogue, and this works like the majority of his work.
Natalia
Feb 20, 2016 Natalia rated it it was amazing
The Superhero Registration Act is just insane. I mean, I understand WHY the government would want it, but I also understand why many of the heroes are against it. They need their privacy too. I'm dying to see what occurs next.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Jun 26, 2016 Andrew Obrigewitsch rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This story was entertaining and provided a lot of good background info. However, it really isn't necessary at all to understanding what occurs in the civil war.
Paul
May 23, 2016 Paul rated it liked it
This book is sufficient to set in motion the events of Marvel's Civil War. I recommend that anyone interested in the main event read this first.
Desa
Nov 09, 2014 Desa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entre 3'5 y 4

Después del preludio y ver lo que se avecina tengo miedo....
Christian Smith
Jan 02, 2017 Christian Smith rated it liked it
Plot holes/problems:

1. In the first issue where the illuminati are discussing the incoming events of Civil War, Tony Stark gives a way to specific and detailed prediction of the future. Everything he said comes to be. How is it possible he could be that exact even for someone as smart as Tony Stark?

2. When the fantastic four are fighting Dr. doom he recalls how he escaped from hell. Basically he explains that the gods of Asgard were fighting during the events of Ragnarok. And all the fighting op
Tres Herndon
Oct 20, 2016 Tres Herndon rated it really liked it
I'm not a regular Marvel comics reader but I have seen all the movies and wanted to read some of the Civil War books. I actually read the Spiderman TPB first, but then a friend let me borrow a lot of the others including this one and the actual Civil War TPB.

I liked the setup and how far back it went in the past, though most of it was set right prior to Civil War. I enjoyed seeing characters I know nothing about (Black Bolt) who are prominent here and absent from the books. I also liked how they
Connor
Oct 31, 2016 Connor rated it really liked it
A good primer before Civil War. I just wish I had read them in order. If you aren't a regular comic reader, I would recommend this. I don't think it's necessary to understand Civil War, but it provides some nice background.
  • Civil War: Front Line, Vol. 1
  • Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways
  • Civil War: A Marvel Comics Event
  • Civil War: X-Men Universe
  • Civil War: Heroes for Hire
Joseph Michael Straczynski (born July 17, 1954), known professionally as J. Michael Straczynski and informally as Joe Straczynski or JMS, is an American writer and television producer. He works in films, television series, novels, short stories, comic books, and radio dramas. He is a playwright, a former journalist, and author of The Complete Book of Scriptwriting. He was the creator and showrunne ...more
More about J. Michael Straczynski...

Civil War: A Marvel Comics Event (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Civil War: A Marvel Comics Event