Start by marking “Dead City” as Want to Read:
Dead City

Dead City

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The acclaimed author of By Reason of Insanity, The Anvil Chorus, and Go Down Dead offers "a relentlessly chilling and stark novel" (The Kansas City Star) and "a fresh, vital look at organized criminals that is so authentic, it's scary" (The Boston Globe).
Published December 2nd 1978 by Pocket (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Dead City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead City

Jeffrey Keeten
Nov 18, 2015 Jeffrey Keeten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardboiled
”I don’t enjoy killing a man,” Albert had said once as they sat in a bar late one night drinking to their bad luck.

“Me neither,” Flowers had replied.

“But I don’t think it’s wrong either,” continued Albert.
“Lots of people need killing. That’s just how I feel.”

“Me too.” agreed Flowers.”

Despair brings opportunity.

People need to escape their dingy, depressing, dead end lives. When hope has caught the last boxcar out of town, people will temporarily or permanently bury themselves in drugs, alcohol,
Richard Godwin
May 07, 2011 Richard Godwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Dead City' is the hardest of Noir novels. If you like it gritty low down and dirty read this.
The characters are real the dialogue could open a can and the story packs a punch. Absolutely brilliant. Shane Stevens knows about the world he writes of and lets his story tell itself.
This is hard to put down.
Donald
Sep 10, 2015 Donald rated it really liked it
A darn good read! Reminded me of the movie "The Godfather", only grittier and nastier! Charley Flowers and Harry Strega are two young guys trying to make a name for themselves in the mob, run by Joe Zucco. As their tales unwind, we meet a lot of "the gang" and witness some pretty harsh things go down. By the end, I was worn out!

And, an shout out to Stephen King for mentioning this book at the end of his novel, "The Dark Half"! I decided to give it a go, and I'm glad I did! Thanks Uncle Stevie!
Alessandra
Dead city e' un romanzo crudo, violento e allo stesso tempo affascinante.

L'autore ci guida con maestria nel mondo della mafia anni '70, fatta di violenza, crudelta' e ambizione.

E lo fa facendoci seguire due personaggi agli antipodi ma con lo stesso desiderio di rivalsa e la stessa fame di successo e fama: uno un cecchino a cui sono saltati i nervi in un paio di colpi importanti (e di conseguenza, declassato a picchiatore) e un giovanissimo ex soldato che si ricicla nel racket...
sullo sfondo, un'
stefano
Mar 13, 2016 stefano rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, novels, mystery, usa
La sensazione fantastica di mollare un libro a metà. Non mi capita spesso, per cui quando succede me la godo tutta. Spinto da giudizi positivi letti in giro, ho iniziato Dead City. E non sono riuscito ad andare avanti. Mi sembrava di essere nelle vecchie scenette di Ale e Franz, quelle dei gangster. La storia non decolla, i dialoghi non acchiappano. Magari trent'anni fa era innovativo, ora è di una noia mortale. Oppure sono io che ho iniziato male Stevens: proverò a riprenderlo in mano tra qualc ...more
Emeka Alexy mekz'
Apr 25, 2015 Emeka Alexy mekz' rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I had this novel in paper back but I lost it somehow, please where can I download this novel?
John
Nov 19, 2010 John rated it it was amazing
Fascinatingly graphic story about Jersey City gangsters in the early 70s.
Adam
Mar 13, 2008 Adam rated it liked it
Gritty gut-bucket crime fiction. Loves it.
Marian Blanaru
Marian Blanaru marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Eve
Eve marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Bekah
Bekah marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Alex
Alex added it
Jun 27, 2016
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Pierrick Le Bras
Pierrick Le Bras rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Nigel Springer
Nigel Springer marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Rachel Gruhler
Rachel Gruhler marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Mariana Robledo
Mariana Robledo marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Darren O.
Darren O. rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Benjamin White
Benjamin White marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Shane
Shane added it
Mar 30, 2016
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Stephen Forrest
Stephen Forrest marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Fiona Rogers
Fiona Rogers marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Françoisg
Françoisg marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Manon
Manon marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
  • The Psycho Ex Game
  • A Fistful of Fig Newtons
  • Doghouse Roses: Stories
Aka J.W. Rider

Shane Stevens is an American author of crime novels. He was born in New York, New York to John and Caroline (Royale) Stevens. His novels include Go Down Dead (1966), Way Uptown in Another World (1971), Dead City (1973), Rat Pack (1974), By Reason of Insanity (1979), and The Anvil Chorus (1985). Stephen King has claimed to being a huge fan, and gave tribute to him in his book "The Dar
More about Shane Stevens...