Start by marking “Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 1: Power and Responsibility” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 1: Power and Responsibility

Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 1: Power and Responsibility (Ultimate Spider-Man #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  10,215 Ratings  ·  242 Reviews
An outsider even amongst his own peers, high school student Peter Parker is a young man at the crossroads of destiny. Orphaned as a youth and raised by his Uncle Ben and Aunt May, Peter finds himself the target of a constant barrage of pranks perpetrated by school jock Flash Thompson and his burly bud, nicknamed Kong. After Peter is bitten by an experimental spider from ...more
Published May 16th 2007 by Marvel (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 1

Mike
Aug 30, 2016 Mike rated it it was amazing
Who needs a good reason for a re-read of some of the most fun comics in history? Not this guy.

(Well, maybe a little kick in the pants. I'm in the middle of devouring the more tolerable chunk of Hickman's Secret Wars and it's tie-ins and I needed a break - lo and behold, the /r/MUBookClub subreddit called for a reading of the first 13 issues of this amazing series. Who am I to argue with Internet Authority?

(Spoilers ahead, for anyone who has been living in a cave for the last 50 years. But still.
Sesana
Mar 12, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it
I am not a big fan of the Ultimate line. It seems like, for most of them, the writers decide to push for "edgy", and just end up writing a lot of painfully unsympathetic people acting horribly to everybody around them until they happen to save the world. Frankly, it's kind of boring to read, when it isn't irritating. Bendis went a totally different route with Peter Parker. He wrote just wrote a modern Spider-Man. Which means that Peter isn't an insufferably arrogant jerk for no reason, he's a ...more
Anne
Nov 06, 2009 Anne rated it liked it
Loved the art! The Green Goblin actually looked pretty scary! I'm used to seeing his skinny version, so it was kinda shocking to see him as a hulking monster. It was a good shock, though.
Peter wasn't quite as snarky and funny as he usually is at first, but by the end some of the old humor was back. It's a good thing, too. Spidey's sense (Get it? Spidey sense?!) of humor was always the best thing about the comic, to me anyway.
Uncle Ben as a hippie? Still not sure about that one.
All in all, I lik
Jedhua
Nov 17, 2016 Jedhua rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Other Useful Reviews: Sesana's review and Nicole's review

Book Info: This collection contains Ultimate Spider-Man issues #1-7.

{3.5/5 stars} (Rounded Up)

"I was selfish. So selfish, and you paid the price. You did. I did. Aunt May did. I will never ever forgive myself for that. I will never ever forget that I could have stopped it... You were right; with power comes responsibility. Absolutely. For some reason I've been given great power. And with great power then must come great responsibility. I
Ronyell
Spider-Man

Introduction:

I have been growing up with “Spider-Man” ever since I was a child and so far, the only comic I had read from the “Spider-Man” series was The Amazing Spider-Man: Origin of the Hobgoblin which I did enjoyed. Now, I had stumbled upon the Marvel Ultimate Universe and after I read Mark Millar’s run on “Ultimate X-Men” and kept hearing so many good things on this run, I decided to give Brian Michael Bendis’ run on “Ultimate Spider-Man” a chance. Now at first, I was a little hesitant to
Stephen
Jul 05, 2010 Stephen rated it liked it
3.0 stars. Good, solid re-imagining and updating of the Spider-man character that I thought was pretty well done. With all of the inconsistencies and conundrums that developed over the four decades of Spidey's comic career, it is nice to be able to say, hey let's start fresh for a new generation of readers. Recommended.
Nicole
Dec 06, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: julia Andersen, Paul Bennett
I like a good origin story. I'm very much into knowing why. And this is a very good reboot of the Spider-Man origin story, taking us back to when Peter Parker was 15. The writer does a good job of updating the story for the 21st century while including all the elements Spidey fans expect.
Peter Parker has long been one of my favourite characters. He's proof that "good" doesn't have to be boring. I like him and sympathise with him. I cringe when he gets picked on. He's the kind of guy I would've w
Kemper
Mar 15, 2009 Kemper rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhero
A fun and fresh new take on a 'modern' origin story for a young Spiderman struggling to become a super-hero and deal with high school.
Nikki
Nov 22, 2013 Nikki rated it really liked it
I think I used to watch Spider-man cartoons, or certainly I had Spider-man somewhere in my consciousness, but I haven't seen the films (although I got a free download of the latest one for my PS Vita when I bought it, I should look into that) and I wasn't entirely clear on Spider-man lore. So the Ultimates collection seems to be a good choice for me, given that they update and clarify the origin stories as a start. And lucky me, my girlfriend has a whole stack of them.

(I hear Ultimate Cap is a d
Lindsey.parks
Jul 20, 2015 Lindsey.parks rated it it was amazing
It pains me to say this, but I prefer this to the original Amazing Spider-Man first issues. Also Uncle Ben with a ponytail, radical.
Maria
Aug 05, 2016 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Peter Parker is my new boyfriend
Stephen
Mar 04, 2015 Stephen rated it liked it
description

Ultimate Spider-Man re-imagnes our wall crawler in the new Ultimate Marvel universe.Taking classic characters and story lines from the original Spider-Man universe, the Ultimate universe re-imagines them from scratch and turns them into new and original versions. Like Peter Parker for example, he is still in high school who is friends with Mary Jane Watson and Harry Osborn, and at the same time getting bullied by Flash Thompson. And ofcourse Peter still lives with his Aunt and Uncle.

The most not
Andrew Uys
Mar 08, 2014 Andrew Uys rated it it was amazing
A fun re-telling of Peter Parker/Spider-Man's origins and earliest adventures, the purpose of the Ultimate comic book line was to modernize classic Marvel characters for younger readers and very much succeeded in that respect. Of course, over a decade later, and the background details are already becoming "dated". Still, Brian Michael Bendis crafts a wonderful story that really benefits from the "written for graphic novel for at" that has become the industry standard (this series certainly led ...more
Orrin Grey
Jul 15, 2010 Orrin Grey rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Spider-Man is my favorite super hero. I think I can say that pretty safely. I love his costume, I love his powers, I love his rogues gallery. I can identify with him, and his morality has always resonated with me more than most other comic characters.

Back when I was reading Ultimate X-Men comics, the only ones I really liked were the ones written by Brian Michael Bendis, so I figured I should give his Ultimate Spider-Man comics a shot. And so far they're great. They reinvision to Spider-Man myth
Travis
Dec 01, 2009 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Not the biggest fan of Bendis or Spider-man, but thought this was a decent update/retelling of his origin. It modernized the story without sacrificing the heart of it.
Moves a bit slow, but the build up gives Bendis a chance to really get us to know Peter Parker and his Uncle Ben and makes the payoff that much more of an emotional punch.

Not a huge fan of turning Norman Osborn into Lex Luthor and why is ever character in the Ultimate-verse the result of a government/corporate experiment gone wrong
Ryan Stewart
Jan 31, 2014 Ryan Stewart rated it it was amazing
This is excellent. I'm giving this five stars not in the same way that I'd give five stars to Alan Moore's "Swamp Thing" or "Watchmen," etc. but it deserves five stars for what it is. It's fun, it's accessible, it's smart. It is an updated, fresh take on Spidey for a new generation of readers and it does a solid job of sticking with the spirit of the characters while achieving its own independent take on the mythos. Very, very good stuff here from Bendis.
Pamela
Mar 28, 2016 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Pamela by: Mike
I've always loved Spider-Man as a character but have never read the comics because I didn't know where to start. This was perfect! The artwork was engaging, especially the action scenes. I have only dabbled in comics in my life, but I was so impressed with this. I can't wait to read the second installment.
Lex
*3.5/5 I was really nervous going into this. I'd heard such great things about it, and most of my friends think this is the best Spider-Man comic book ever. It wasn't mind blowing or anything. I did enjoy it though, and I regret putting it off of for so long. Overall: So far, so good. I'm not disappointed.
Gustavo
Dec 04, 2016 Gustavo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel
Estuvo bien, pero me parece que debería haberla leído cuando salió hace unos 15 años para que me emocionara realmente. Algunas cosas me parecieron simpáticas, como el tío Ben con colita. Un sólido 6/10. Hasta ahora esta (finales de los 90s, principios del 2000) ha sido la etapa más floja de la colección, menos mal que ahora vienen los X-Men de Morrison y Quitely que recuerdo con mucho cariño.
Brian Cambra
Nov 01, 2015 Brian Cambra rated it it was amazing
It was clear to see that this book had greatly influenced the movie The Amazing Spider-man. So many great little things. There was a lot of respect paid to the Spider-man stuff from the past. But this is more like the Spider-man I grew up loving in the 90s than anything I have read recently.
Jennavier
Jan 17, 2015 Jennavier rated it really liked it
I'm reading these because my husband is a huge fan of this line. Luckily for me it's looking pretty good!
Mar 01, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Seen Spider-man's origin story eleventy billion times but Bendis makes it fresh and fun and funny. Nice palate cleanser, want more.
Michael
Nov 29, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Bendis is great at writing younger voices, and he does exceptionally well with Spiderman here. I'm not usually very interested in origin stories, but this is fast and funny enough to be compelling.
Joe
May 12, 2014 Joe rated it really liked it
Now I see why it was so much fun. It started that way.
What a great new start to Peter's origin.

Jeff Raymond
I guess I’m a Spider-Man fan now. I’m really enjoying this.
Skye Walker
Apr 04, 2016 Skye Walker rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This review of Brian Michael Bendis' "Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 1" originally appeared on www.fantasyliterature.com

Note: if you’ve never stumbled your way into a Spiderman/Spider-Man movie, or even past the poster, there will be spoilers in this review. If you’re somewhat familiar with the Spider-Man story and/or the Marvel universe (particularly in New York) then nothing in here should surprise you.

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1 covers a huge amount of Spidey: from his humble beginnings as a simpl
B. Rule
Nov 04, 2016 B. Rule rated it it was amazing
This is an emotionally resonant retelling of the origins of Spider-Man which modernizes certain elements while keeping the bones of the story from the original. Bendis does an excellent job showing Peter as an awkward teen and milking the pathos from his loving but troubled relationship with his Uncle Ben and Aunt May. Most of this volume focuses on the pre-Spider-Man days and takes its time building to Peter's decision to don the mask, and the story benefits from that unhurried pace. The ...more
Jakub
Oct 31, 2016 Jakub rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-blog
Only after reading the afterword to this one I realized that the original origin story of Spidey was so short. I guess I remembered the flashbacks and distorted it in some way or another. But anyways - this retelling was a bit of a mixed bag. I liked the fact that they put more focus on the Parker family and Peter's school days but I did not like to way the Osborne story went. All in all it was not that bad, even though I do not like Bagley's art style.
Colm
Nov 07, 2016 Colm rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Can't beat a classic origin story. Even Bendis couldn't ruin this one. I guess when someone has already written the characters and given them proper development arcs Bendis' sassy storytelling and dramatics can get a proper airing because there's an actual foundation holding them up. If all of Bendis' comics were this solid I probably wouldn't resent him so much. In fact, I guess this way I'm getting to see what built his name in the first place.
The Masks and Mor...: Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol 1: Power and Responsibility 2 6 Oct 18, 2015 09:44AM
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 1: The Tomorrow People
  • Spider-Man: Blue
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 9: The Tempest
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 2: Revelations
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 3: N-Zone
  • Spider-Man Noir

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

Ultimate Spider-Man (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 2: Learning Curve
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 8: Cats & Kings
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 9: Ultimate Six
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 10: Hollywood
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 11: Carnage

“You know your father, God rest his soul... Your father had a philosophy the he held to pretty strongly. And it's one that served him very, very well... He believed that if there were things in this world that you had to offer, things that you did well—better than anyone else... things that you could do that helped people feel better about themselves... well, he believed that it wasn't just a good idea to do those things... he believed it was your responsibility to do those things. Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen to you and your life Peter. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility. Do you understand? Great responsibility.” 10 likes