Start by marking “Jack and the Beanstalk” as Want to Read:

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Jack receives beans as pay for a job he completes and lo and behold, those beans lead him up a beanstalk and into the company of giants! In her innovative photo-collage style, Nina Crews freshens up a beloved children’s tale for today’s young readers.
Published July 5th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Jack and the Beanstalk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack and the Beanstalk

Tasha
A fresh, modern take on the traditional tale, here Jack lives in a city and is paid the beans for a job he has done. When he plants the beans, they grow into the huge beanstalk. He climbs the beanstalk to discover giants living in the clouds. Giants who have a hen who lays golden eggs and plenty of jobs for Jack to do for them. But Jack escapes down the beanstalk with the hen. The giants chase after him, and then the ending takes a pleasant twist from the traditional story. A new look at an old ...more
Gabrielle Blockton
Date: November 3rd, 2014

Author: Nina Crews

Title: Jack and the Beanstalk

Plot: A young boy is rewarded with a jar of multicolored beans from his next door neighbor. The day after he plants the beans, he finds a giant beanstalk growing outside his window. He decides to climb up the beanstalk to see why it is growing far into the clouds. What he finds is not what he expects!

Setting: The City; The Beanstalk Castle

Characters: Jack, Mrs. M., The Giant, The Giant's Wife, Jack's parents

Point-of-View: Th
Christopher
What normally thrills, just looks like bad Photoshopping and acting, the art in Nina Crews book, Jack and the Beanstalk disappointed me. A meh book with supremely meh art.
David
Jack and the Beanstalk by Nina Crews is a modern variant to the traditional tale with twists.

Jack lives in a city and is paid beans for a job he does. Jack plants the beans which grow into a huge beanstalk. After climbing the beanstalk, Jack discovers giants living in the clouds, who have a hen who lays golden eggs, and lots of jobs for Jack to do for them. Jack escapes down the beanstalk with the hen, with the bellowing giants chasing after him. When Jack cuts down the beanstalk, things get str
Tiffany Jolly
Folklore: fairy tales Giants, imagination
Crews, Nina. Jack and the Beanstalk. Illus by Nina Crews. Henry Holt, Co., 2011, UNP, primary.
In Jack and the Beanstalk, Jack was given seeds that were said to be more valuable than the money he was owed, which was true because it they grew into a giant beanstalk where he found a giant man, his wife and their hen at the top. The point of view through the book is in third person but the characters are given a lot of dialogue througho
Jill
This updated, urban version of Jack and the Beanstalk is created with photographs and multicultural characters. Jack does chores for a neighbor and is paid in colorful magic beans. He plants them outside the window of his city apartment and overnight, the beanstalk grows. Children will have fun looking through the pictures for traditional elements, but the story finishes with a modern twist! Grades K-3.

This book is an excellent addition to a thematic traditional tales unit.
It also meets AASL Lea
Kim
Nina Crews does an excellent job of retelling the original fairy tale with some slight variations. Using photographs for illustrations makes Jack's journey seem possible. Well done!
Carmen
I think this is a very cute version of Jack and the Beanstalk but I also think it takes away nothing from the original tale. The setting is now in a city, the giant is pampered by his wife and very conceited. The golden egg laying hen, the harp, and the gold coins are sitting off to the side of the giant's chair but the reader only finds out the significance of the hen which Jack tries to take and run. Then a spell is broken and the giant returns to his normal size in real life. I think both the ...more
Jasmin Garcia
"Jack and the Beanstalk" by Nina Crews is a modern variant to the traditional tale with twists. The differences from the original make this good to compare with the traditional version. I felt like this book was more of a fantasy than a folktale. While I appreciate the originality of the twists here, I prefer this version to the original because of its relatablilty. I can use this book in the classroom to introduce science curriculum in literature. It can also help teacher children to make their ...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Nina Crews give Jack a modern twist. She combines photographs to create a new fairytale world in our world. She also adds a magic spell into the story. It's refreshing and fun. It's a great read for preschoolers or elementary students. It would also be a fun art project for children to create their own photo stories.

Theme: Jack and the Beanstalk
Additional Themes: giants, beans, magic spells, hens

Reviewed from a library copy.
Gwen the Librarian
I love Nina Crews' photography and usually I love her books, but this modern re-telling of Jack and the Beanstalk leaves a bit to be desired. I think it's just that the storytelling is a bit scattered and even barely works for those who already know the story. I was disappointed. Try using this without the words and have kids tell the story.
Pat Marrujo
For me, the best parts of picture books are the pictures. In this one, the pictures are photographs of real people, not drawings.

I realize that this is meant to make the story feel more real, but I think it took away from the mysticism of the book. It took a child's imagination out and showed what they are supposed to imagine.
Kendra
jack and beanstalk by nina crews take the childrens fairy tale and brings it to life with pictures of real life people. I thought this book was very odd. I was expecting the classic story instead it looked like someone took a digital photo and made a story out of it. I don't reccomend this book as a fairy tale.
Melinda
I liked what Nina Crews did with this well-known fairy tale, switching up the most dated and creepy parts, and adding a modern spin to the ending. However the artwork falls flat for me. The photos chosen look dated, and I am not a fan of the photoshopped-together look. Would rather it had been illustrated.
Melissa
I really enjoyed this retelling, and the giant admiring himself made me laugh out loud. Unlike some others, I don't see anything in this book that keeps it from being understood on its own, though of course it's richer if you know some other versions of the story. I love the fresh ending.
Tricia
I enjoy Crews' work...this book based on the classic fairy tale had a creep factor with the giants being real people and all. I don't think it would effect children as the intended audience...it's just not a title that I personally would incorporate into storytime.
Taylor
I'e never seen this type of photo collage illustrations but I think younger children would enjoy it. It gives me the idea of making a classroom Jack and the Beanstalk book from pictures of the students infused with drawings made by them!
Shelli
Interesting concept of revamping the old classic with a modern twist. Pictures and digital images instead of drawings also adds something to this re-take.
Shannon
Lovely modern, urban adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk. Manages to be authentically multicultural without being irritating about it.
Amar Pai
Stupid beyond belief. Not a faithful retelling and the photo art made me want to hurl. Has the smell of a vanity project
Joann
Love Nina's use of photography and fantasy in her books; this is a successful modern day re-working of the tale.
Karen
Crews urban take on fairy and nursery tales gives them contemporary currency. Excellent photo montages.
Julie Esanu
A diverse version of a traditional story, set in the city.
Betsy
A fun, modern twist on the traditional folk-tale
Megan
Loved the photo collages! Great illustrations.
Stargirl
Great, classic fairy tale!
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Ilham
Ilham marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Nina Crews is a well known author and an illustrator children's books. She currently lives in Brooklyn, NY.
More about Nina Crews...
The Neighborhood Mother Goose Below Sky-High Guy One Hot Summer Day The Neighborhood Sing-Along