Start by marking “Powers, Vol. 2: Roleplay” as Want to Read:
Powers, Vol. 2: Roleplay

Powers, Vol. 2: Roleplay (Powers #2)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  2,114 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Powers features one of the most awarded and acclaimed teams of the last several years and winners of the 2001 Eisner award for best new series.Detectives Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim work out of the special homicide office in charge of cases that involve Powers, those that have talents and abilities far beyond those of normal men.

This graphic novel details one of the
Published January 15th 2001 by Image Comics (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Powers, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Powers, Vol. 2

Watchmen by Alan MooreLocke & Key, Volume 1 by Joe HillMaus, I by Art SpiegelmanThe Sandman, Vol. 4 by Neil GaimanSaga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan
Greatest Graphic Novels
243rd out of 251 books — 84 voters
Secret Invasion by Brian Michael BendisHouse of M by Brian Michael BendisSpider-Men by Brian Michael BendisAlias, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael BendisUltimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael Bendis
Best of Brian Michael Bendis
43rd out of 110 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Powers is an interesting concept. It looks at the superhero world from the viewpoint of superheroes being the perps and victims of murder. With this second volume, the victims aren't quite superheroes. They are college students playing an elaborate superhero role playing game that gets deadly when they get murdered by a superhuman.

This was dark and sad, to think that these kids were being murdered that way. And the root cause makes it even more distressing. Detectives Christian Walker and Deena
Fizzgig76
Reprints Powers (1) #8-11 (December 2000-May 2001). Pilgrim and Walker are on the case of another superhuman murder. A student dressed as Walker’s former identity of Diamond has revealed a series of roleplayers that dress as their favorite outlawed heroes. When it was revealed that a real superhuman is hunting the roleplayers, Pilgrim and Walker must find the killer before more kids die. Plus, the city is rocked by the murder of a major criminal…but who is responsible?

Written by Brian Michael Be
Richard Guscott
Powers is probably one of the more clever comics I've been reading these days. It somehow manages to blend a Law and Order vibe seamlessly with super power themes. The best part? The main characters are just a couple of regular detectives. No special abilities, just good old fashioned police work. Somehow, this translates into a fun read. To me, the stories and the character development aren't the best, but the aren't bad. Not at all. Couple this with the fun, easy to view art style and you defi ...more
Steven
Something devilishly satisfying about killing off a group of superhero RPGers...
J.
When I try to say anything about this book, I can't really think of anything in particular. It is what it is: a police procedural in a superhero universe. But having said that, I couldn't put this down and literally read it in a single sitting. So there you go.
Antonio
Segundo volumen de Powers, compuesto tan solo de cuatro números, y que personalmente me ha dejado un muy buen sabor de boca.

Los detectives Walker y Pilgrim se enfrentan a una serie de asesinatos en una universidad, aparentemente llevados a cabo por un superhombre.

En este caso, descubrimos nuevas curiosidades sobre el mundo ideado por Bendis como la prohibición de utilizar disfraces si no se tienen superpoderes, y ahondamos en las personalidades y la relación de los protagonistas.

Me gustaría men
Travis Mcclain
Feb 18, 2011 Travis Mcclain rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Travis by: Chad Knopf
A friend of mine gave me the first and third volumes of Powers trade paperbacks for my birthday last year, and even though he assured me it was okay not to read them in publication order I elected to track down Roleplay before moving onto the third collection. It's just how I'm wired.

Anyway, the premise here is that some college kids have taken to dressing up--illegally--as superheroes and role playing on campus. Only, it appears that a real life super-villain has targeted them for death. Who's
Catherine
"Roleplay" was more satisfying for me than "Who Killed Retro Girl?" because of two things. The first was that I really liked the concept of it; college students roleplaying their favorite superheroes in a D&D type of way which en ds in them being murdered. Something interesting that we learn is that it is illegal to dress up as a superhero. The second reason that this was satisfying was the end result. While I can see why the ending would be underwhelming to some, this, unlike Volume 1 satis ...more
Matthew Ardill
Ariel Acupan

Roleplay is the second installment of the POWERS graphic novel series. Although you should not expect that it is the continuation of "Who killed Retro Girl?" because Walker and Pilgrim takes another case of homicide involving death of students roleplaying their favorite super heroes. Oeming did WOW me on this one. Awesome panels that crosses over into the next page and should be read the same way. There were parts where you could feel the suspense creeping at you with same picture, different fra
Steve
More of the same, this time Walker and Pilgrim have to investigate the murder of college students who were illegally roleplaying as their favourite superheroes.

The ending is abrupt and not very satisfying. I do like how this volume shows us this small facet about the superhero world, but its not a very satisfying volume in general, except for one really good moment near the end that made me laugh out loud.
Joe
Enjoyed this one a bit more than volume one. Great idea here - following "normal" cops doing Law and Order policing in a world where superheroes are a "normal" part of their reality/world. Oeming's art in this one was especially awesome. The paneling was fantastic - some really creative work that impacted the pacing and storytelling in clever ways. Will definitely continue the series.
Matej
The second volume of Powers is a great procedural, that just happenes to take place in a world populated by superheroes, that manages to stay as interesting as the first one.
The writing is slightly better when compared to the first volume which was already great.
The art is identical to the first volume, which is a good thing, but this volume has more unusual panel arrangements that work really well.
Overall, this series is a great read for people that love superheroes, but are a bit tired of the
Mitchell
Another noir superhero mystery. Good writing, bad art. And by bad art I mean awesome layout and editing but a cartoony style of art that I find just irritating. And as for the writing, a little bit more effort in actual world building would be appreciated. So a good series that just doesn't grab me.
Rob
A good concept and story, but I still don't love the art. The dialogue has great moments, but it has terribly weak ones as well so that's hit or miss. I can see that they try very hard to be stylistic and original, but the finished product just doesn't demand to be read.
Jessica
I've had the Powers series on my shelves for a few years, loved the first one but suppose it's time to get through the 12 volumes someone let me borrow...

I love learning about this Powers city and what is "normal" and "law." Proves highly interesting, and I love the main characters Walker and Deena.
Justyn Rampa
Another fantastic story in the Powers universe. What Bendis and Oeming do with their paneling is utterly fantastic! The ways these two tell this gritty noir stories is exceptional. Volume 2 was the test to see if Volume 1 was just a fluke, and thankfully it was not.

Without revealing too many spoilers, this book deals with a bunch of college kids who end up murdered. As with the previous volume, the solution to the case is not necessarily as important as the journey. Bendis and Oeming continue to
Dan
Crime drama about someone killing cosplayers... Yawn. No thanks.
Joey Heflich
Not nearly as good as the first arc, but at least Warren Ellis gets horribly disfigured.
Sharon
Individual issues on comixology
Mandy Mcglinchy
love this series its amazing!!
Sara
Another solid installment.
Jeff Raymond
Still a great series, liked this probably more than the Retro Girl arc, if only because we're getting a better feel for the characters and the universe this is set in.

If anything, though, this has reminded me how much I liked most of his Spider-man arcs, and how good a storyteller Bendis is in this medium. He wastes no time in this issue getting to the crux of it, throws a pretty great curveball at us toward the end, and simply nails it. Just nails it.
M.i.
This book just keeps getting better with situations that leaves one marveling at Bendis' imagination. Lovely stuff
Julia
Feb 13, 2009 Julia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: gn
Live action role playing in a world of super heroes gone horribly horribly wrong. I found the second Powers arc short and uneven. I love the Oeming's artwork and layouts, but I usually wind up conflicted over Bendis' story, especially the endings. This series may have cops as main characters, but it feels much less procedural than say Gotham Central.
Matti Karjalainen
Brian Michael Bendisin ja Michael Avon Oemingin Powers-sarjakuvan toisessa osassa "Roleplay" (Image, 2001) neljä supersankari-roolipelaamista harrastavaa opiskelijaa surmataan raa'asti, ja niinpä rikosetsivillä Walker ja Pilgrim on jälleen kädet täynnä töitä. Lopputulos on maanmainiota sarjakuvaa, jonka pohjalta syntyisi loistava HBO-rikossarja.
Filipe
Really like this volume better than the first one. The story was more down to earth, college students dressing up as their favorite super heroes, which is illegal.
A better story than the first one, but somewhat shorter... It unravels very fast for my taste.
The artwork is amazing as in the first one. Really top notch.
Rosa
I was really disappointed by a small lack of continuity from the end of the previous volume. But I am hoping it will be explained later. Otherwise, I love that there is a special department that deals with super hero crimes. I like the grittyness of the series, and I do like the artwork.
Libby
Further adventures of Walker and Pilgrim investigating superhero murders, except these victims aren't really superheroes. A bit weaker, IMHO, than volume I, but still with much to recommend it, particularly some fascinating exploration of the limits of superpowers and the as-always gorgeous art.
Trey Jackson
Well-done writing and art, but I wasn't a big fan of the plot. Apart from the initial idea, I felt like it didn't go anywhere and was kind of flat. But the story was well told, and I am going to check out future volumes. It's just a step down from Vol. 1.
Detailed Roleplayers: Jack Frost and Jordan 113 12 Jun 28, 2014 07:01PM
The Amazing Super...: Rp group 2 10 13 Feb 13, 2014 05:34PM
Detailed Roleplayers: Coral and Jordan 72 4 Jan 08, 2014 12:48PM
One on One's... A...: Rainpelt and Jordan 1 5 Dec 27, 2013 11:40AM
  • Invincible, Vol. 2: Eight Is Enough
  • The Authority, Vol. 2: Under New Management
  • Astro City, Vol. 4: The Tarnished Angel
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 5: Smoke, Smoke (Ex Machina, #5)
  • Criminal, Vol. 2: Lawless
  • Gotham Central, Vol. 2: Half a Life
  • Top 10, Vol. 2
  • Rising Stars: Power (Rising Stars, #2)

More about Brian Michael Bendis...
House of M Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl? Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 1: Cosmic Avengers