Start by marking “Powers, Vol. 2: Roleplay” as Want to Read:
Powers, Vol. 2: Roleplay

Powers, Vol. 2: Roleplay (Powers #2)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,620 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Powers features one of the most awarded and acclaimed teams of the last several years and winners of the 2001 Eisner award for best new series.Detectives Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim work out of the special homicide office in charge of cases that involve Powers, those that have talents and abilities far beyond those of normal men.

This graphic novel details one of the
Published January 15th 2001 by Image Comics (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Powers, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Powers, Vol. 2

Brilliant - Volume 1 by Brian Michael BendisKabuki, Vol. 1 by David W. MackKabuki, Vol. 2 by David W. MackKabuki, Vol. 3 by David W. MackKabuki, Vol. 4 by David W. Mack
Icon Comics
11th out of 50 books — 1 voter
Alias Omnibus by Brian Michael BendisHouse of M by Brian Michael BendisAlias, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael BendisDaredevil Omnibus, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael BendisAlias, Vol. 2 by Brian Michael Bendis
Best of Brian Michael Bendis
63rd out of 117 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Powers is an interesting concept. It looks at the superhero world from the viewpoint of superheroes being the perps and victims of murder. With this second volume, the victims aren't quite superheroes. They are college students playing an elaborate superhero role playing game that gets deadly when they get murdered by a superhuman.

This was dark and sad, to think that these kids were being murdered that way. And the root cause makes it even more distressing. Detectives Christian Walker and Deena
Aildiin
Aug 11, 2015 Aildiin rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This story was relatively short but interesting.
Here we examine the concept of normal people roleplaying as heroes and what happens when they interact with the real super-heroes.
Sidekicks Wanted
Oct 08, 2015 Sidekicks Wanted rated it liked it
Shelves: image, tv-tie-in, cara
Not as engaging as the first one, but it was still good. I want to know more backstory for the two main characters.
J.
Feb 09, 2014 J. rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
When I try to say anything about this book, I can't really think of anything in particular. It is what it is: a police procedural in a superhero universe. But having said that, I couldn't put this down and literally read it in a single sitting. So there you go.
Catherine
Mar 26, 2010 Catherine rated it really liked it
"Roleplay" was more satisfying for me than "Who Killed Retro Girl?" because of two things. The first was that I really liked the concept of it; college students roleplaying their favorite superheroes in a D&D type of way which en ds in them being murdered. Something interesting that we learn is that it is illegal to dress up as a superhero. The second reason that this was satisfying was the end result. While I can see why the ending would be underwhelming to some, this, unlike Volume 1 satis ...more
Cara
Oct 08, 2015 Cara rated it liked it
Shelves: 741ish, 2015, image
This wasn't as engaging as the first one, but it was still good.
Fizzgig76
Apr 03, 2014 Fizzgig76 rated it really liked it
Reprints Powers (1) #8-11 (December 2000-May 2001). Pilgrim and Walker are on the case of another superhuman murder. A student dressed as Walker’s former identity of Diamond has revealed a series of roleplayers that dress as their favorite outlawed heroes. When it was revealed that a real superhuman is hunting the roleplayers, Pilgrim and Walker must find the killer before more kids die. Plus, the city is rocked by the murder of a major criminal…but who is responsible?

Written by Brian Michael Be
Richard Tokebroker
Feb 22, 2014 Richard Tokebroker rated it really liked it
Powers is probably one of the more clever comics I've been reading these days. It somehow manages to blend a Law and Order vibe seamlessly with super power themes. The best part? The main characters are just a couple of regular detectives. No special abilities, just good old fashioned police work. Somehow, this translates into a fun read. To me, the stories and the character development aren't the best, but the aren't bad. Not at all. Couple this with the fun, easy to view art style and you defi ...more
Steven
Jun 16, 2014 Steven rated it liked it
Something devilishly satisfying about killing off a group of superhero RPGers...
Antonio
Apr 23, 2014 Antonio rated it it was amazing
Segundo volumen de Powers, compuesto tan solo de cuatro números, y que personalmente me ha dejado un muy buen sabor de boca.

Los detectives Walker y Pilgrim se enfrentan a una serie de asesinatos en una universidad, aparentemente llevados a cabo por un superhombre.

En este caso, descubrimos nuevas curiosidades sobre el mundo ideado por Bendis como la prohibición de utilizar disfraces si no se tienen superpoderes, y ahondamos en las personalidades y la relación de los protagonistas.

Me gustaría men
Phil Bova
Another top notch story arc from Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming.
Love the artwork. Reminds me of the Batman Animated Series. Dark and edgy. Very cool. On to volume 3.
Scott Lee
Mar 24, 2015 Scott Lee rated it it was amazing
This one was, if anything, even better than "Who Killed Retro Girl." Powers has got some quality story telling and the art is unique and fun. It was cool to read in the "interview" with Mike Oeming at the end that the style grew out of work he was doing to "audition" for Batman the animated series--it seems so obvious once he says it. I love how he took that aesthetic and made it his own though--because this is definitely not Batman the Animated series, awesome as that was. I'm excited to keep r ...more
Travis McClain
Feb 18, 2011 Travis McClain rated it liked it
Recommended to Travis by: Chad Knopf
A friend of mine gave me the first and third volumes of Powers trade paperbacks for my birthday last year, and even though he assured me it was okay not to read them in publication order I elected to track down Roleplay before moving onto the third collection. It's just how I'm wired.

Anyway, the premise here is that some college kids have taken to dressing up--illegally--as superheroes and role playing on campus. Only, it appears that a real life super-villain has targeted them for death. Who's
Matthew Ardill
Jun 27, 2011 Matthew Ardill rated it it was amazing
Ariel Acupan
Oct 26, 2010 Ariel Acupan rated it it was amazing

Roleplay is the second installment of the POWERS graphic novel series. Although you should not expect that it is the continuation of "Who killed Retro Girl?" because Walker and Pilgrim takes another case of homicide involving death of students roleplaying their favorite super heroes. Oeming did WOW me on this one. Awesome panels that crosses over into the next page and should be read the same way. There were parts where you could feel the suspense creeping at you with same picture, different fra
Steve
Aug 28, 2014 Steve rated it liked it
More of the same, this time Walker and Pilgrim have to investigate the murder of college students who were illegally roleplaying as their favourite superheroes.

The ending is abrupt and not very satisfying. I do like how this volume shows us this small facet about the superhero world, but its not a very satisfying volume in general, except for one really good moment near the end that made me laugh out loud.
Joe
Mar 13, 2014 Joe rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this one a bit more than volume one. Great idea here - following "normal" cops doing Law and Order policing in a world where superheroes are a "normal" part of their reality/world. Oeming's art in this one was especially awesome. The paneling was fantastic - some really creative work that impacted the pacing and storytelling in clever ways. Will definitely continue the series.
Matej
Jul 30, 2014 Matej rated it really liked it
The second volume of Powers is a great procedural, that just happenes to take place in a world populated by superheroes, that manages to stay as interesting as the first one.
The writing is slightly better when compared to the first volume which was already great.
The art is identical to the first volume, which is a good thing, but this volume has more unusual panel arrangements that work really well.
Overall, this series is a great read for people that love superheroes, but are a bit tired of the
Mitchell
Another noir superhero mystery. Good writing, bad art. And by bad art I mean awesome layout and editing but a cartoony style of art that I find just irritating. And as for the writing, a little bit more effort in actual world building would be appreciated. So a good series that just doesn't grab me.
Rob
Feb 14, 2014 Rob rated it liked it
A good concept and story, but I still don't love the art. The dialogue has great moments, but it has terribly weak ones as well so that's hit or miss. I can see that they try very hard to be stylistic and original, but the finished product just doesn't demand to be read.
Bill Williams
Jan 06, 2015 Bill Williams rated it it was amazing
The second vol. of Powers, while not as good as the first, is still a great read. The roleplaying storyline was really good. Walker and Pilgrim get fleshed out a little bit more, and we learn a bit more how the powers are handled in this world
Jessica
Jun 06, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2014
I've had the Powers series on my shelves for a few years, loved the first one but suppose it's time to get through the 12 volumes someone let me borrow...

I love learning about this Powers city and what is "normal" and "law." Proves highly interesting, and I love the main characters Walker and Deena.
Garrett
May 05, 2015 Garrett rated it really liked it
Powers is like an addictive drug - Bendis dialogue, once it brings you in / once you key your brain's ear for it, is actually hard to stop reading. This one's stripped down and quick; luckily I have another volume on deck.
Jenny
Apr 05, 2016 Jenny rated it liked it
Good story. Challenging to read - I'm always catching myself reading by the page instead of across both pages - makes me have to pay more attention - not a bad thing. Lots of twists and turns...on to #3!
Drucilla
Jun 21, 2015 Drucilla rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
There were some things that weren't completely explained, leaving me wondering if they'll come up later. Also, loose ends from the previous book aren't addressed at all. Other than that, I enjoyed it.
Michael Cook
Apr 26, 2015 Michael Cook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this arc of the story. The villain's motivation was a little hazy, but it was another really enjoyable set of issues in this series.
Mary Beth
An enjoyably grimy tale, Roleplay expands on Walker's character and features some impressively vivid, dynamic art.
Justyn Rampa
Apr 09, 2012 Justyn Rampa rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic story in the Powers universe. What Bendis and Oeming do with their paneling is utterly fantastic! The ways these two tell this gritty noir stories is exceptional. Volume 2 was the test to see if Volume 1 was just a fluke, and thankfully it was not.

Without revealing too many spoilers, this book deals with a bunch of college kids who end up murdered. As with the previous volume, the solution to the case is not necessarily as important as the journey. Bendis and Oeming continue to
Andre
Feb 24, 2015 Andre rated it liked it
Another crime story in the world of powers. Has the detective feel of the first one with the same interesting visuals.
Kenny
Apr 07, 2016 Kenny rated it really liked it
Volume 2 of Bendis and Oeming's brand of superhero crime noir.
Detailed Roleplayers: Jack Frost and Jordan 113 12 Jun 28, 2014 07:01PM
The Amazing Super...: Rp group 2 10 16 Feb 13, 2014 05:34PM
Detailed Roleplayers: Coral and Jordan 72 4 Jan 08, 2014 12:48PM
One on One's... A...: Rainpelt and Jordan 1 5 Dec 27, 2013 11:40AM
  • Invincible, Vol. 2: Eight Is Enough
  • The Authority, Vol. 2: Under New Management
  • Rising Stars: Power (Rising Stars, #2)
  • Sleeper, Vol. 1: Out in the Cold
  • Astro City, Vol. 4: The Tarnished Angel
  • Top 10, Vol. 2
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 5: Smoke, Smoke (Ex Machina, #5)

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

Powers (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl?
  • Powers, Vol. 3: Little Deaths