Start by marking “Daredevil, Vol. 4: Underboss” as Want to Read:
Daredevil, Vol. 4: Underboss

Daredevil, Vol. 4: Underboss (Daredevil Marvel Knights #4)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  1,559 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Who put out a hit on the Kingpin...and Matt Murdock? The mystery man named Mr. Silke has inspired Wilson Fisk's lieutenants to rise up and take down the Kingpin of Crime! What is the connection between the underbosses' uprising and the contract on DD's life? The true-crime creative team of Brian Michael Bendis (Powers, ALIAS) and Alex Maleev (Sam and Twitch) reveal all! Th ...more
Published September 16th 2002 by Marvel Comics (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Daredevil, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daredevil, Vol. 4

Daredevil Legends, Vol. 2 by Frank MillerDaredevil, Volume 1 by Mark WaidDaredevil Legends, Vol. 3 by Frank MillerDaredevil Legends, Vol. 1 by Jeph LoebDaredevil, Volume 5 by Mark Waid
The Best of Daredevil
12th out of 101 books — 47 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanWatchmen by Alan MooreBatman by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanFables by Bill Willingham
Comic Books to Appreciate & Love
64th out of 334 books — 132 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
This is straight-up crime fiction. A new guy in town wants to take away Kingpin's supreme rule over crime in Hell's Kitchen, and is not above betrayal to do it. I haven't read the first book in this run, so there are some things I had to figure out by context. However, it's clear that Daredevil and Kingpin have reached a sort of equilibrium in their relationship, but the apple cart is about to be upset. And the bid to bring down Kingpin has far-reaching consequences.

While Batman is my favorite c
Jan 03, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing
Re-reading this book in search of great storytelling moments, and boy does this have 'em. I've read Bendis's DD run from start to finish, years ago, and I tell you I'm on the edge of my seat while reading this. The story is so well-constructed that even when Bendis is spending a few pages on dialogue, in the middle of Matt's pursuit of the truth behind the price on his head, they're well-spent pages. They tell all sorts of tales about the teller and the tellees, they make me ache to be part of t ...more
Dec 04, 2014 Aaron rated it really liked it
Mr. Silke is one of Wilson Fisk's mob capos, a mouthy guy from Chicago whose father knows Fisk (aka the Kingpin). By the end of the sixth page, Silke has overseen the rest of the capos in stabbing Fisk to death, Julius Caesar style. Switching to a flashback from one week prior, Matt is attacked by the hired villain Nitro outside the courthouse, ringing his bell and giving him severe sensory problems. He questions the Kingpin, who knows nothing about it.

This story kicks off the Bendis and Maleev
Nov 12, 2009 Rolls rated it really liked it
And so one of the greatest collaborations in comics begins in Daredevil: Underboss. Let me just say that Mr. Bendis is the third most important writer in the history of Darevil. Only Stan Lee (by creating him) and Frank Miller (by re-creating him) can claim to have had more influence on the shaping of this classic character. But Mr.Bendis has left his mark on this character forever with writing that is just the right mix of film noir and comic book superheroics. Plus he's funny as all get out. T ...more
Anil Coskun
Jul 22, 2016 Anil Coskun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Müthiş! İkinci cildi deli gibi merak ediyorum^^
Christian Smith
Apr 18, 2016 Christian Smith rated it really liked it
"Matt Murdock is Daredevil"
Oct 21, 2016 Gav rated it really liked it
Shelves: fav, novel, classic
I've done so much just to get here. I read through the first twenty issues of this Daredevil run, which were all just ok, nothing wow. Then, I struggled through issues 20-25 by Bob Gale... Brrr. Just thinking about it gives me the shivers.
I put up with those first 25 issues just to get here. And you know what? It was totally worth it.

This was amazing.
It's the closest thing I've read to Matt Fraction's Hawkeye.
It's., how do I explain this...
Aha! Indie, yeah, there, that's the word.
Arno Callens
Aug 23, 2015 Arno Callens rated it it was amazing
I've had several visceral reactions to events in comic books, ranging from exhilaration to dread, but the assassination of the Kingpin has to be one of the most powerful moments I've ever witnessed on paper. As it is the opening shot, you'd think the story would peak right then and there, instead its exploration through flashbacks gives the whole story its drive.

In non-chronological order we get to discover the motivations behind Samuel Silke's takedown of Wilson Fisk, and the effect it will hav
Jan 29, 2015 Sean rated it it was amazing
In their first baby steps with the series, Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev waste no time in making a big impact; the first issue alone upsets the balance of power within the Kingpin's inner circle, introduces a new challenger to that throne, sets a bounty on Matt Murdock's head and bombs the scene of his latest trial. Although I'd later grew to love Ed Brubaker's take on Daredevil, it's easy to forget how gripping and simplistic Bendis's plots really are. His writing is easily approachable, unflinc ...more
Mar 12, 2012 logankstewart rated it really liked it
Brian Michael Bendis finally jumps headlong into Daredevil, but still only treating the man as a peripheral. Unlike the previous arc, Underboss, spanning from issues #26-#31, deals with the fall of the Kingpin and the revelation of Matt Murdock's secret identity to Mr. Silke. Silke is an unlikeable thug with high ambitions, and when he finds out about the Kingpin's knowledge, things change.

I quite enjoyed this arc. The artwork of Alex Maleev is gritty and has a strong noir feel to it, fitting th
Sabra Embury
Mar 22, 2010 Sabra Embury rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm a big fan of the Daredevil movie. I've seen it at least eight times and that's unusual, since there are so many movies I haven't seen and would like to see, but I still continue to re-watch Daredevil during movie time and this is okay with me.

I recently went to the Los Angeles Public Library and raided their graphic novel section: Underboss was part of my loot along with a few books by Gaiman and a giant book about drawing Manga.

In Underboss, Daredevil's identity is exposed by Kingpin and le
Duygu Pınar
Apr 20, 2015 Duygu Pınar rated it really liked it
3.5 *
Bendis in ismi olmasa el atmazdım ama devam etmeyi düşünüyorum.
Arkabahçe den aldığım habere göre daha önce basılmış üç cilt ve şimdi buradan devam edilmiş. Ama gel gör ki birinci cilt diye sunulması çok saçma ve hikayedeki olayların diğer ciltlere alakası olmadığı söylendi. Bu ciltteki bir olay var ki daha önce mutlaka gerçekleşmiş olmalı
Jun 26, 2014 Zachary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Awesome story. It's a great tale of a time of turmoil in the mob that draws heavily from the godfather (which is, of course, a good thing). The artwork is beautiful. the dark gritty style is unique and really augments the story. This is a great example of a super hero story that's got real substance and the artwork to back it up.
Hồng Ngọc
Jul 15, 2016 Hồng Ngọc rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics

Điểm cộng:
- Cốt truyện, mạch truyện tốt. Rất khó để rời mắt khỏi trang truyện khi đang đọc dở.
- Xây dựng nhân vật ổn. Hai nhân vật mà tui nghĩ tác giả đã làm rất tốt đó là Matt Murdock và Vanessa Fisk.
- Art đẹp
Aug 27, 2012 Pavel rated it liked it
I'd put it 2.5/5 or 5/10. Not good not bad. I happen to differ with Bendis' writing style, I don't see characters as he does, I'm not surprised nor intrigued with the twists he makes.

For me his "dark and gritty" style is nothing but pointless arrogance - the life is not as he writes it though he tries to make it real moving Daredevil to the second place and concentrating the story on some guy who takes over Kingpin. I paid to see Daredevil and Maleev's Man Without Fear moves and actions are asto
Feb 05, 2015 Derek rated it really liked it
Bendis and Maleev deserve to be added to the list of comics' greatest pairings (like Lee/Kirby or Claremont/Byrne, to name just a few). Their case for inclusion into the pantheon starts here.
John Spillane
Oct 14, 2012 John Spillane rated it really liked it
Never read it but have liked Daredevil since before the movie. What movie, HaHa. Found this Bendis run on a list of the best in comics and jumped in. My fling with comics so far has been halted and unrewarding enough for me to "get them" and there appeal in general.

I have made a leap with Daredevil, it's writing is self aware, has a bit of wit, and some interesting tidbits that I'm saying I wouldn't be able to also get from some cop show on CBS that I'm not watching. I enjoy the ?illustrations?
Seriye devam ederim büyük ihtimalle. Daredevil karakteri hoşuma gitti çünkü.
Nov 04, 2008 Derek rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Daredevil fans, crime thriller fans
I was seriously blown away by this book. I haven't even read the first three volumes, but now I feel compelled to hunt them down. I remember when these issues were coming out, there were a lot of people complaining about the Alex Maleev artwork. I don't get the problem that people had with it, I thought it was excellent and matched Brian Michael Bendis' plot and dialog perfectly.

The only drawback with the story is that it seemed a little too short. The story was probably very suspenseful on a mo
Trevor Dailey
Apr 23, 2015 Trevor Dailey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Masterfully written. Great introduction to crime fiction.
Apr 01, 2008 Ben rated it really liked it
My first Daredevil trade paperback. I had always found the character quite boring, but the reinvention of the series by Brian Michael Bendis is supposed to be one of the best ever. The story was littered with mobster cliches, but somehow they fit together to form an intriguing storyline. The art is amazing, fitting the noir setting perfectly. This is the fourth volume in the series, so I am interested in going back and reading the first three. The only reason I started with this one is that it w ...more
Mar 29, 2016 Norah rated it it was amazing
Victor Drax
Jun 13, 2012 Victor Drax rated it it was amazing
Excelente inicio para uno de mis favoritos de Marvel. El Kingpin sufre un golpe de estado y durante esos momentos en los que se establece un nuevo régimen, lo único que parece seguro es que hay un precio sobre la cabeza de Daredevil. Impredecible hasta la última página. Si quieres leer de los héroes "oscuros y callejeros" de Marvel, Punisher Max, de Garth Ennis, y este, el primer volúmen salido de la pluma de Brian Michael Bendis, te mostrarán por qué Marvel no es cosa de niños.

Read this book, j
Mar 05, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it
Wow! High four stars to the first Daredevil volume to kick off Brian Bendis' collaboration with Alex Maleev, and this is where the journey really begins in this saga. A lawyer of unwavering conviction has a contract put on his life by conspirators who plan to cut the head off their powerful criminal organization. This is a gritty, modern noir crime story told masterfully by a writer who places character over action, and Maleev's murky realism is the perfect visual fit for this film-on-paper.
Mar 27, 2011 Neil rated it really liked it
I lost my Bendis Daredevil's to a mold attack. Been buying them again. Reading this volume reminds me why Bendis is such a good writer. Perfect pacing, perfect dialogue, a spot on sense of dramatic plotting and a fearless drive to put comics in a place where they rarely go... a real, identifiable world, with real, dramatic consequences.

These stories are why Bendis eventually took over the entire Marvel universe.

Great stuff.
May 21, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
Bendis' landmark run on Daredevil officially begins here.

Granted, Bendis wrote an earlier story for the book, (which is excellent) but it is here that Bendis really lets loose. I'm not going to go into the plot, but it should be said that plot elements that have been born in this story-line still echo in the Daredevil book.

This is the moment when Matt Murdock's life begins its downward spiral, and what a spiral it is!
Jan 20, 2016 Sud666 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A great story. Bendis crafts a wonderful tale of the fall of the kingpin and Daredevil getting "outed". The story really makes the comic, as I thought the art was not really for me. Thankfully in this story driven tale the art becomes secondary. I don't mean to imply that it is awful, but it is rather like an impressionist painting. But the story..oh man what a solid writing job.
Sep 29, 2012 Jon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
One of the issues that make up the Underboss story arc is a "silent" issue; the story old entirely visually with no dialogue or narration. This is executed so perfectly that I was so absorbed in the story that I literally didn't notice & only realised because I read some commentary from Bendis about the silent issue. Brilliant :-)
Christa  Seeley
Dec 18, 2015 Christa Seeley rated it liked it
This was a dark and gritty comic with fantastic art but I couldn't help feeling like I was missing huge chunks of the plot.
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it it was amazing
I remember being frustrated by Bendis' pacing back when I read these issues on a monthly basis, but in TPB form, the pacing is just fine. The story is a brilliant little noir-style exploration of the gritty side of Daredevil's character, and it's a great starting point for the legendary Bendis/Maleev run.
  • Daredevil, Vol. 14: The Devil, Inside and Out, Vol. 1
  • Daredevil: The Devil's Hand
  • Daredevil, Volume 5
  • The Punisher, Vol. 1: Welcome Back, Frank
  • X-Factor, Vol. 1: The Longest Night

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

Daredevil Marvel Knights (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • Daredevil, Vol. 1: Guardian Devil