Start by marking “Don't Try This At Home” as Want to Read:
Don't Try This At Home

Don't Try This At Home

2.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
When fate nudges working mother Dot into a corner, she decides to give up the day job. So what if her kids can barely remember who she is; so what if she can't whip up a dinner party for twenty in an afternoon; everyone needs to embrace their inner earth mother sooner or later and it seems Dot's time has finally come. Besides, how hard can it be? Unfortunately, a quick thu ...more
Paperback
Published August 18th 2003 by Hodder Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Don't Try This At Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Try This At Home

Jelena Brozovic
Nov 12, 2012 Jelena Brozovic rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
I don't usually dislike books, but this one I do. The idea is great, a business woman leaves her job to spend more time with her children not knowing that being a full-time mom is not such an easy job. There are so many potentially funny and interesting situations, and there are some that made me laugh a little bit, but sometimes they went so over the top that, instead of being funny, they were just lame.
And I like the idea of the whole book being written in form of e-mails, but those e-mails a
Tasha
Oct 02, 2013 Tasha rated it did not like it
never before have i ever had to stop reading a book, even books i havent really enjoyed or liked, i have continued to the end... but this? i got to chapter 4 and i just had to put it down. its awful.

im guessing its the style in which it is written as i have enjoyed another book of katies.

i think if it was written with emails back and forth between dot and the people in her life, it may have made a big difference, instead of just getting her story and perspective on everything!

so... its off to
Icha
May 28, 2010 Icha rated it did not like it
I really love the cover, but the story is too complicated for me. I get bored. I do not know about you.
Rahmadiyanti
Apr 11, 2011 Rahmadiyanti rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Can't finished it. Too many blablabla. Got bored.
Irene J.
Jun 23, 2009 Irene J. rated it liked it
Buku ini masuk kateogori Chiclit. Biarpun temanya ringan, tapi cukup menghibur kok. Dialog lewat e-mailnya juga kadang lucu-lucu sinis. Boleh lah buat dibaca pas lagi iseng-iseng.

Ini cerita tentang Dot, seorang ibu dari dua anak. Dia baru aja sembuh dari kanker payudara. Selama ini, dia wanita karier yang ambisius. Tiba-tiba, karena "kecelakaan, akhirnya dia memilih resign dan jadi ibu full-time. Siapa nyangka, ya.. ternyata jadi ibu full-time lebih susah daripada jadi pekerja kantoran. Anak-ana
Hotelier777
Jan 24, 2014 Hotelier777 rated it liked it
The story is written from Dot's point of view as the lead character. At first, I kinda bored with the story. Dot seems like a person who pity herself, while her husbands and daughters doesn't seems to care about her. His 1/2 part is kinda boring. Then a tragedy happened, and Dot's character seems to grow, and much more likeable. Not only her, but also her family and friends. The story about Dot and Alex is quite touching, and at some point, makes my eyes teary. Oh well ;) it's kinda weird that e ...more
Deborah
Oct 03, 2009 Deborah rated it liked it
It took me a while to get into this book, but once I did I zipped through it.
It's written entirely in emails written by the main character Dorothy, to her husband, friends, mother etc.
She is a busy career woman who decides to quit and stay home with her 2 children. She writes of the joys and monotony, infidelity,her recovery from cancer and other trials of life.
It reminded me of "The diary of Bridget Jones". British and in little snippets of info (email instead of diary) that kept your interest.
Esti Cahyani
Apr 19, 2011 Esti Cahyani rated it liked it
It's a Momlit. The theme is about modern woman. Generally, it told us about Dot's dilemma, was she did a right decision by quiting her job and being a full-time mother. This book is unique in the way Katie told us the stories. From the beginning until the end of the page, we only read Dorothy (Dot) e-mail which is sent to her friends or family. We won't get the reply from them directly, but Dot will review it on the next e-mail. If you like chicklit and have time, maybe you can read this.
Kristina  UK
Aug 29, 2011 Kristina UK rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
Run of the mill chick-lit but it was on my shelf and i was in the mood for an unchallenging read.
Emily
Sep 27, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
A typical chick-lit book but better than the average!
Indah Threez Lestari
Hannie
Hannie added it
Dec 24, 2015
Kristianne
Kristianne marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Montana rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2015
Romana
Romana added it
Jun 28, 2015
Iva
Iva marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Kajsa
Kajsa rated it it was ok
May 24, 2015
Stella_bee
Stella_bee marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Tanja
Tanja marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Bethany Green
Bethany Green marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
githaz
githaz rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Ayesha
Ayesha added it
Dec 12, 2014
Marina
Marina rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2014
Ramona Lazar
Ramona Lazar rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2014