The Pulse, Vol. 1: Thin Air

The Pulse, Vol. 1: Thin Air (The Pulse #1)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  259 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Former super hero and current private investigator Jessica Jones has just been offered a new job: a position with the Bugle's new super-hero section, The Pulse! Jessica's first assignment: to uncover the true identity of a former Bugle reporter's super-powered murderer! How will Jessica's shocking discovery affect the entire Marvel Universe?
Published November 24th 2004 by Marvel Comics Group

To ask other readers questions about The Pulse, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pulse, Vol. 1

House of M by Brian Michael BendisAvengers Disassembled by Brian Michael BendisAvengers vs. X-Men by Brian Michael BendisAll-New X-Men, Vol. 2 by Brian Michael BendisUltimate Spider-Man, Vol. 12 by Brian Michael Bendis
Best of Brian Michael Bendis
10th out of 101 books — 3 voters
The Infinity Gauntlet by Jim StarlinX-Men by Chris ClaremontMarvels by Kurt BusiekX-Men by Chris ClaremontAstonishing X-Men, Vol. 1 by Joss Whedon
Best of Marvel Comics
118th out of 142 books — 61 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth
I never realised how much my love of the character of Jessica Jones and my idea of her was tied up in Michael Gaydos's artwork. In Alias she feels so real, lived-in. She stands on street corner having a conversation and her back is rounded, her colours are dark and smudgy, she looks like she slept in a car all night. Which is precisely what she did do, because she's a private detective. But it takes the artwork to really make the character sweat and smell, and Gaydos made Jessica do that.

This ar...more
Callum
Mar 06, 2008 Callum rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any comic book fan!
Shelves: graphic-novels
The continuation of Jessica Jones' story after Alias Vol. 4. Faced with the knowledge that she will have to soon raise a family Jessica seeks employment with The Daily Bugle, putting up with the rancor of J. Jonah Jameson, as a consultant on their new super-hero coverage entitled The Pulse. Heavy drama ensues as the Green Goblin is implicated in the death of one of the Bugle's reporters.

Bendis continues to please with Jessica's journey through adulthood, this time bringing on more guest stars an...more
Carles Muñoz Miralles
Me pensaba que me encontraría un Gotham Central al estilo Marvel, pero no le llega ni a la suela de los zapatos. Además, el estilo clásico de Bagley pesa como una losa en una serie de enfoque más moderno como esta.
Holden Attradies
Lord how I adore me some Bendis/Bagley team work, although I'm so used to this team being Ultimate Spider-Man that I kept forgetting this WASN'T an Ultimate book.

But I didn't get this for the Bendis/Bagley team up. No, like most people I got this to follow Jessica Jones after here solo series ended. Was this as good as Alias? No. Was it sad to see such an awesome, strong, complex and well written female character lose the spotlight and become just part of an ensemble cast? Yes. But she still shi...more
Travis
Okay, I think Bendis is a wildly over rated writer, never read 'Alias' and was never a huge Spider man fan, so why do I love this series so much?

The Pulse is set at the Daily Bugle and gives you a reporter's eye view of living in a New York city full of super heroes.
When a reporter turns up dead in the pond in Central Park, two Pulse reporters and the paper's resident super hero consultant play detective.
It's brilliant, in that by issue two, the reader knows who the killer is, but the heroes don...more
Mitchell
Wow! A decent Spiderman story. A decent J. Jonah Jameson story. Not sure how this ends up fitting in to the continuity. And the art on Luke Cage could have been a lot more consistent. But this was just great. Basically an investigative journalist piece masquerading as a superhero comic.
John Jackson
Bendis, as always, pretty much keeps you completely interested and entertained. I was so happy to see the Alias story continued, and in such a different and awesome way. Excellent characters and amazing art. Terrific dialogue. I'm hooked!
While not as good as Alias, this series continues Jessica Jones's story as she moves on to a new career as a consultant and tries to deal with her pregnancy and new relationship with Luke Cage. While this is more of an ensemble cast, most characters are handled deftly and the Marvel continuity issues (Ben Ulrich's book about Norman Osborne, Jameson's history with Jessica, etc) are introduced in ways that color the plot without depending on them. A solid follow up that makes me want to keep readi...more
Korynn
I enjoyed the Alias series which introduced Jessica Jones (excepting Vol 2 for some reason) and so I felt I had to follow her to the Pulse which did not disappoint. Bendis' signature fast patter conversation occurs with the typical snappy rejoinders that he seems to write so well. Spider-Man guest stars and large epic comic events occur. Somehow Jessica seems more vulnerable now, probably because she's pregnant, which is odd but there is it.
Hillary
The art is better than Alias, but the story isn't as compelling. Sometimes I think Bendis creates too much overlap among all the different comics he writes, and if you've read them months, or even years, apart, it's hard to remember what happened when and why and all the circumstances. Maybe they just need to put out a Bendis collection, organized chronologically.
***Dave Hill
While "The Pulse" is a significant come-down from Bendis' previous Jessica Jones vehicle, "Alias," it's still good stuff. Jessica is only part of the cast -- with Rated T dialog -- but getting behind the scenes at The Daily Bugle and dealing with the the menace of Norman Osborne ... isn't all that bad.
SA
Review for the series. Significant tone shift when we move from Alias, Vol. 1 to The Pulse, but it works for what the creator is trying to do. Jessica Drew, how so awesome.
Federiken Masters
Aug 03, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de Alias
Recommended to Federiken by: Que continuaba Alias
Lindo comic. Aunque sale perdiendo con respecto a Alias (de hecho, creo que TODOS los comics de Bendis palidecen frente a su Alias) tiene unas cuantas escenas memorables. Lástima que también incluye "La Caída de Norman Osborn" #245.
Not as good as Alias, but I do like the Bugle setting. A lot of the charm of Alias is lost when you take away the noir-ish setting, but I enjoy Jessica Jones as a character, and Bendis' writing, so it was worth it.
James Goux
It's certainly no Alias. I really wanted more Jessica Jones. As a Marvel book this is perfectly servicable but Alias was something else altogether and this, as it's replacement doesn't really hold up.
Michael
Liked this a lot. Not quite as good as the last volume of Alias, but a nice continuation of Jessica Jones' story. I'm pretty sure that the Bendis/Bagley combination will never disappoint me.
Shannon Appelcline
A superb combo of journalism, mystery, and super heroics, with great plotting and interesting repercussions for the Marvel Universe.
Thalestral
3 stars for this volume, and for the other two as well. Overall I liked this, but I just can't warm to non-Daredevil Marvel :/
Jim
the best plotted/written/dialogued comic i've read in months
Will
Kinda garbage coming straight from Alias.
B.M.B and Jessica Jones, how I've missed you.
Rachael
Better than Alias.
Aarcanum Black
Aarcanum Black marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Nazlı
Nazlı is currently reading it
Sep 12, 2014
Sesana
Sesana marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
  • Wolverine: Get Mystique
  • Astonishing X-Men Deluxe Hardcover Volume 2
  • Ultimate Comics X-Men, Volume 1
  • The Invincible Iron Man Omnibus, Volume 1
  • Young Avengers, Vol. 2: Family Matters (Young Avengers, #2)
  • Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Volume 6
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 10: New Avengers
  • Ultimatum
  • Daredevil, Vol. 2: Parts of a Hole
  • Ultimate Comics Thor
  • Young Avengers Presents (Young Avengers Presents)
  • She-Hulk, Vol. 1: Single Green Female

Though he started as a writer and artist of independent noir fiction series, he shot...more
More about Brian Michael Bendis...
House of M Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl? Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 1: Cosmic Avengers