Start by marking “The Pulse, Vol. 1: Thin Air” as Want to Read:
The Pulse, Vol. 1: Thin Air

The Pulse, Vol. 1: Thin Air (The Pulse #1)

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  536 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Former super hero and current private investigator Jessica Jones has just been offered a new job: a position with the Bugle's new super-hero section, The Pulse! Jessica's first assignment: to uncover the true identity of a former Bugle reporter's super-powered murderer! How will Jessica's shocking discovery affect the entire Marvel Universe?
Published November 24th 2004 by Marvel Comics Group

To ask other readers questions about The Pulse, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pulse, Vol. 1

Alias Omnibus by Brian Michael BendisHouse of M by Brian Michael BendisAlias, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael BendisDaredevil Omnibus, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael BendisAlias, Vol. 2 by Brian Michael Bendis
Best of Brian Michael Bendis
10th out of 117 books — 19 voters
Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1 by Joss WhedonX-Men by Chris ClaremontThe Infinity Gauntlet by Jim StarlinMarvels by Kurt BusiekX-Men by Chris Claremont
Best of Marvel Comics
112th out of 405 books — 121 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth
I never realised how much my love of the character of Jessica Jones and my idea of her was tied up in Michael Gaydos's artwork. In Alias she feels so real, lived-in. She stands on street corner having a conversation and her back is rounded, her colours are dark and smudgy, she looks like she slept in a car all night. Which is precisely what she did do, because she's a private detective. But it takes the artwork to really make the character sweat and smell, and Gaydos made Jessica do that.

This ar
Mike
This should've been an inconsequential series. It was a spinoff of nothing, a little sidebar of Bugle-related stuff that didn't play into a big Event or any major storylines of the day.

And yet this story has had staying power that normally we don't see. Stories come and go, and plot twists and developments usually fade off into the dark. (Unless you're Jonathan Hickman, in which case you've had ten years of comics all mapped out and just play the symphony you composed on day one. Asshole.)

Luke
Gregory
Apr 29, 2015 Gregory rated it really liked it
The Pulse feels like Marvel's take on Gotham Central. The Pulse takes its name from the Daily Bugle's new section that focuses on superhero news. Jonah Jameson, who anyone even remotely familiar with the Spiderman universe would recognize as the publisher/editor-in-chief of the Daily Bugle, despises superheroes and views them as reckless vigilantes, but as readership declines he decides to take an uncharacteristic risk. Jameson hires Jessica Jones to get the stories. Jameson figures that as a su ...more
Alan Chen
Jan 30, 2016 Alan Chen rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Jones is pregnant with Luke Cage's baby. Daily Press wants to hire her as a consultant on stories about superheroes. A reporter from the Bugle gets killed when she investigates mysterious deaths at Osborn Corp. Ulrich, another reporter with Bugle, works with Jones to find out what happened. He confronts Spiderman and finds out Osborn is the Green Goblin. When Jones gets hurt by Green Goblin, Luke Cage decides to come down on him with Spiderman as backup. This is not as good as the Alias series. ...more
Lionel
Dec 29, 2015 Lionel rated it really liked it
Bit of a let down after Alias, especially the art
Callum
Mar 06, 2008 Callum rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any comic book fan!
Shelves: graphic-novels
The continuation of Jessica Jones' story after Alias Vol. 4. Faced with the knowledge that she will have to soon raise a family Jessica seeks employment with The Daily Bugle, putting up with the rancor of J. Jonah Jameson, as a consultant on their new super-hero coverage entitled The Pulse. Heavy drama ensues as the Green Goblin is implicated in the death of one of the Bugle's reporters.

Bendis continues to please with Jessica's journey through adulthood, this time bringing on more guest stars an
Christopher Mclean
Nov 26, 2015 Christopher Mclean rated it really liked it
After reading this volume I was reflecting on the fact that all my favourite writers deliver very specific things which I love. Sanderson's slow-paced novels, with their steady revelations and focus on social and political structures, Whedon's witty dialogue with fun, loveable characters but imminence emotional gravity when it is warranted, JMS's fantastic plots full of foreboding and callbacks, Gaiman's slightly skewed view making the everyday fantastic. Bendis is right up there, for me he writ ...more
Federiken Masters
Aug 03, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de Alias
Recommended to Federiken by: Que continuaba Alias
Lindo comic. Aunque sale perdiendo con respecto a Alias (de hecho, creo que TODOS los comics de Bendis palidecen frente a su Alias) tiene unas cuantas escenas memorables. Lástima que también incluye "La Caída de Norman Osborn" #245.
Carles Muñoz Miralles
Me pensaba que me encontraría un Gotham Central al estilo Marvel, pero no le llega ni a la suela de los zapatos. Además, el estilo clásico de Bagley pesa como una losa en una serie de enfoque más moderno como esta.
Gaby
Feb 22, 2016 Gaby rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, read-2016
Review at Oh My Books!
Katie
Oct 18, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it
I was hoping there would have been more about/with Jessica Jones but that probably wouldn't have sold as many copies. So I'll be happy with what I got. I liked the different viewpoints of the Marvel universe. I like to read about Ben Urich and the Daily Bulge. I especially liked the start with Jameson and him admitting that maybe people want to read about superheroes. I wasn't a Hugh fan of the artwork but it didn't take away of the story. I did very much love the interaction between Jessica Jon ...more
Grace
May 13, 2016 Grace rated it liked it
La Paza
May 03, 2016 La Paza rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cómics
Aahhh, adoro mucho cuando voy a la Biblioteca de Santiago con una idea en mente respecto a mi siguiente cómic-pa-leer y justo esta se paletea y me da lo que que quería: una historia con Jessica Jones en formato deluxe. A pesar de que la estética de JJ con este dibujante es muy distinta a la de la serie (que amo con todo mi ser), me gustó harto la historia y cómo me permitió ver un mundo con super héroes más corriente. Quiero seguir leyendo los otros The Pulse para familiarizarme más con este ámb ...more
Artemiy Nizovtsev
Dec 07, 2015 Artemiy Nizovtsev rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
Even though not as great as Bendis' stellar runs on Daredevil and Alias, this is still a great sequel of sorts to both of those titles. Focused primarily on Daily Bugle, this is a story of outing Norman Osborne as Green Goblin. Even though it uses a woman in refrigerator to get there (google it), it is still otherwise a well-written book. I loved the moment with Luke Cage losing his shirt (who wouldn't?), and it was nice to see Jessica Jones again, even though her role is very minor here.
Definit
Dmitry Yakovenko
Mar 14, 2016 Dmitry Yakovenko rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
The Pulse, Vol. 1: Thin Air, The Pulse, Vol. 2: Secret War, The Pulse, Vol. 3: Fear.

Брайан Майкл Бендис известен своими громкими глобальными событиями, в которых он любит нагнетать и наводить пафоса, а потом всё сливать в помойку за пару страниц. Часто такое у него происходило и в онгоингах, например, про Человека-паука или Джессику Джонс. Впрочем, это не значит, что у него не было стоящих работ, их-то как раз у него хватает, просто не всегда он может хорошо поставить точку.

Очень хорошо, что я
Holden Attradies
Jun 23, 2012 Holden Attradies rated it it was amazing
Lord how I adore me some Bendis/Bagley team work, although I'm so used to this team being Ultimate Spider-Man that I kept forgetting this WASN'T an Ultimate book.

But I didn't get this for the Bendis/Bagley team up. No, like most people I got this to follow Jessica Jones after here solo series ended. Was this as good as Alias? No. Was it sad to see such an awesome, strong, complex and well written female character lose the spotlight and become just part of an ensemble cast? Yes. But she still shi
Brian Misakian
Jun 07, 2015 Brian Misakian rated it really liked it
This is a pretty great concept and a refreshing change of pace from the usual comic book story. It's a shame that Marvel Unlimited doesn't have any of their MAX comics, as I would have liked to have read Alias before The Pulse, but this comic only fueled my desire to go out and purchase the Alias omnibus. For this story, the introduction to these characters had some clumsy, exposition-heavy dialogue, but still managed to get the job done. It was a minor stumble in the face of how great everythin ...more
Nick
Apr 16, 2015 Nick rated it it was amazing
Ah, good old Earth 616, where Ben Urich and everyone else at the Daily Bugle is alive and well. Not that he, uh...isn't in another Marvel Universe. Ignore me. Anyway, this is Bendis at his best. The Pulse presents the Marvel Universe for the perspective of its reporters, which is great. It's like The Newsroom, if Spider-Man showed up every once in a while. Plus it features a lot of J. Jonah Jameson, who is by far my favorite Spider-Man character.
John
Nov 05, 2015 John rated it liked it
This book presents a sadly watered-down version of Jessica Jones from Bendis's brilliant "Alias" series. The angst is reduced considerably, the noir atmosphere gone and even her role in the story is diminished in favor of more time for Luke Cage and Spider-Man. The story isn't bad, it's just another "get Norman Osborne" retread, though. I prefer the grittier "Alias" and would recommend this to Jessica Jones completists only.
مصطفي سليمان

لدرجة اني معرفتش جيسكا والله

Nuno Gil Franco
Nov 09, 2015 Nuno Gil Franco rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
While it started out with some clear inconsistencies (Jessica had met Robbie and had been hired in the past by Jameson - and it was Bendis that wrote it as well), I liked this story, even though it felt kinda rushed in some parts, or forced. After reading this, makes me wonder how Osborn managed to crawl back to the top, 4 years after...
Travis
Feb 26, 2009 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books, mystery
Okay, I think Bendis is a wildly over rated writer, never read 'Alias' and was never a huge Spider man fan, so why do I love this series so much?

The Pulse is set at the Daily Bugle and gives you a reporter's eye view of living in a New York city full of super heroes.
When a reporter turns up dead in the pond in Central Park, two Pulse reporters and the paper's resident super hero consultant play detective.
It's brilliant, in that by issue two, the reader knows who the killer is, but the heroes don
Adam
Feb 03, 2016 Adam rated it really liked it
I have to say I much preferred the previous series of Jessica Jones books. I much preffered the more mature feel that Alias had (though I wasn't a fan of all the constant swearing), it delved into the darker side of Comics. Though Pulse is still quite darkly themed, it's just seemed very cliché and similar to was has been seen plenty of times before in previous Marvel books.
Sylvester
Nov 29, 2015 Sylvester rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, thriller
I hated the continuation of the Jessica Jones story, this volume is ultra progressive and all the characters were terribly stupid. Many other regular characters from Spiderman comics were out of characters. It's just overall nightmarish and cheap.
Travis
Aug 04, 2015 Travis rated it really liked it
3.5...
Nice to see lesser known characters get more attention (Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Ben Ulrich). This also gives special attention to the reporters of the Daily Bugle. It's nice to see the interaction between the reporters and superheroes. They need each other more than they know.

Norman Osborn is such a little bitch. JUST FUCK HIM UP, SPIDEY. JUST DO IT.
John
Jan 06, 2016 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-read
I've always liked these superhero-related style comics, and while Jessica Jones isn't in it as much as I thought she would be, Ben Urich is a great character and the whole book is tightly plotted and paced and fun to read
John Jackson
Feb 02, 2014 John Jackson rated it it was amazing
Bendis, as always, pretty much keeps you completely interested and entertained. I was so happy to see the Alias story continued, and in such a different and awesome way. Excellent characters and amazing art. Terrific dialogue. I'm hooked!
Daryl Nash
Oct 25, 2015 Daryl Nash rated it liked it
I wanted more Jessica Jones, and this was pretty good, but I may have to accept that the Alias series was lightning in a bottle for the Marvel Universe.
Emily
May 30, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-gn-manga
Not at all about Spider-Man. This was definitely a Jessica Jones-focused story. She works through some interesting issues and seems to find herself again after falling back on some pregnancy-panic decisions and assumptions. Lots of action but great character bits as well.
Vivian
Dec 20, 2015 Vivian rated it liked it
After Netflix and Alias, I needed a little more Jessica Jones. Good story arc, liking Ben Urich.
  • Daredevil, Vol. 8: Echo
  • Superheroes!: Capes, Cowls, and the Creation of Comic Book Culture
  • Spider-Man: The Ultimate Guide
  • Ultimate Elektra, Vol. 1: Devil's Due
  • Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra, Vol. 1

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

The Pulse (3 books)