Start by marking “Bush on the Couch: Inside the Mind of the President” as Want to Read:
Bush on the Couch: Inside the Mind of the President

Bush on the Couch: Inside the Mind of the President

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  211 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews

A renowned Washington, D.C.–based psychoanalyst examines George W. Bush's public persona–and asks serious questions about whether he is fit for the office he holds.

In Bush on the Couch Frank offers a comprehensive psychological profile of President George W. Bush using the principles of Applied Psychoanalysis, the discipline of psychoanalyzing public and historical figur

Published 2004 by Regan Books

To ask other readers questions about Bush on the Couch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bush on the Couch

All the President's Men by Carl BernsteinMaster of the Senate by Robert A. CaroMy Country 'Tis of Thee by Keith EllisonMeans of Ascent by Robert A. CaroThe Path to Power by Robert A. Caro
American Politics
90th out of 130 books — 70 voters
The Price of Loyalty by Ron SuskindDerision Points by Ted CohenThe Bush Tragedy by Jacob WeisbergThe War Within by Bob WoodwardReagan's Disciple by Lou Cannon
Dubya
9th out of 14 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Bill  Kerwin

Some interesting, although rather obvious, insights into the president's personality. Of particular note is his view of Bush as a "dry drunk," or untreated abstaining alcoholic, and how the judgmental, rigid nature of such a person's world view dovetails perfectly with Bush's Christian fundamentalism and megalomania.

Still, it should be said that any psychiatrist's attempt to analyze a public figure purely on the basis of the public record, without the benefit of a single clinical interview, lack
Maryalice
Jul 23, 2007 Maryalice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: americans who have been nervous about government in the past 6 years
The author psychoanalytically profiles Bush from afar, gleaning what he can from interviews with loved ones, public transcripts, articles, school and work records, etc. -- in the same way that the FBI profiles world leaders and public figures from afar for the U.S. government.

He begins with the obvious, and often-speculated points (like the President's possible learning disorder/dyslexia), and then moves down the pike to name some psychological characteristics that I found fascinating (and a bit
James
Jan 13, 2008 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in America's situation and future
Scary and thought-provoking. Dr. Frank continues the time-honored tradition of psychological analysis of prominent people that is one of the key tools of our own government in its dealings with foreign leaders and also an element of modern political campaigns; his research has been thorough and his conclusions, all based on the documented history of the president and his family, are rooted in established and time-tested psychological theory. He looks not only at George W. Bush but also at our ow ...more
Stephen
I am an empathetic person, perhaps to a fault. I should feel incredible empathy for George W. Bush but I don't and I never will. The man is a pathetic, alcoholic sociopath and deserves our complete scorn and rejection for the terrorism he has unleashed upon the world. As he is wont to do, I wich we could rewrite our history. Well written and insightful book, incredibly end-noted in all its living and gory color. GWB needs to be put away.
Lavperry
Jul 27, 2007 Lavperry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loaned this book to my therapist. She still hasn't given it back to me! This is a very interesting diagnosis of our leader's mental health, by a foremost and well-credentialed doctor in the field. Read at your own peril. You'll have nightmares for weeks!
Dana
I loved this book more then words. From the attention grabbing cover to the insightful information about Bush and the world's mind point, this book shoudl have been read by everyone before Bush got into offce. This is well foot-noted and researched. It looks to the pieces of his life that would seem to influence him today. I felt sadness in reading one of the things that influenced our president at a young age. This book is very intriguing. It goes back into Bush family history and delves into w ...more
Heidi DuPree
May 10, 2014 Heidi DuPree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful, eye-opening, and frankly frightening analysis of the psyche of former President George W. Bush that is very well researched and professionally written.
Michael
May 05, 2009 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this just before the '04 election, while I was organizing for the New Hampshire primary, and thinking "Thank god the bastard will soon be out of office."

The best thing about Bush was how fast he faded away; even cracking jokes about him isn't funny anymore. It was as though the man existed in momentary spurts of stupidity and silence, and when those moments were gone there was nothing left but the horror of his presence.

Anyway, Mr. Frank's book was completely necessary at th
Suzhanna
Jul 15, 2012 Suzhanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent analysis of the persona of George W Bush. The author uses speeches and other sources to build a picture and understanding of the mind of Bush. It is fascinating and alarming. The author describes the early childhood of the President along with critical life alterning losses in a clear and compassionate style.
The reader is not over burdened with psychological language yet is is not simplistic.
This is a must read for those who are interested in the "new" Republican party.
Mike
Aug 23, 2008 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very frightening book--Bush analyzed by a psychologist with very good writing skills. How was this man ever elected? He tortured animals as a child, tortured "brothers" in his fraternity house, and had fist fights with his father; apparently, his efforts to quit drinking "cold turkey" have not gone well either. Careful who I'd recommend this one to, though.
Lisa
Mar 04, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the family book for this year (thanks to Lora and Adam). The analysis is very freudian, which i don't really like (the gender constructs and assumptions about Mother and Father) but at the same time it is a fascinating read. i agree with others who have said that it makes them both more scared of and bush and sad for him...
Lisa Fagan
Sep 09, 2013 Lisa Fagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The content was so stomach turning, but then again the truth can be at times. To be sure, it is five-star worthy if for no other reason than the sheer amount tenacity required to complete a work like this. Undoubtedly, Frank must possess the trait spades! Very hard to get thru, but I'm glad I made it out the other side.
Mazola1
It's a fun read, with a lot of good insights, but obviously biased and made me want to psychoanalyze the author as much as read his analysis of Bush. The updated version is interesting to compare to the original because a lot of what he predicted proved to be so accurate.
Kay Pratt
Sep 03, 2013 Kay Pratt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't agree with all of Frank's opinions but his ideas are worth reading and thinking about. Dr. Frank also wrote a book about Obama and I assume he will continue writing analyses of presidents. He needs to try to be a little less biased toward liberal politics.
Toby Decker
Discusses how his charm fools some people to think he is a "nice, good ole boy" when he is anything but a nice guy.
IN hindsight a prescient book of an imbalanced chap whose incompetence has ranked him as the worst US President - including Buchanan.
Kim
Jul 28, 2008 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed this book, I definitely felt like it was written by someone who dislikes George W. Bush. There was some information in it that I found to be useful and new but mostly it was a rehashing of things I already knew.
Barron
Aug 17, 2007 Barron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An amusing attempt to psychoanalyze the Prez, blaming his dislike of ambiguity on attitudes common to recovered alcoholics. I wonder if he's at all trying to reference the NR article from the 70s, "Kissinger on the Couch."
Jim Noyes
I had not made the "dry drunk" connection until I read this. While there is some criticism to diagnosis without actually talking to the "patient" certainly some observations that the author supports.
Jenny
Mar 18, 2008 Jenny marked it as partially-read
Shelves: non-fiction
I started reading this but put it down after 60 pages or so. I might pick it back up again, might not. The author is such a hard-core Freudian that I have to take his interpretation with a grain of salt.
Corinthia Ellis
Very interesting insight into our 'great president'. I actually broke up with it about 3/4 of the way through, but liked it until then. It's VERY wordy, and I LOVE words.
Vien
Jan 24, 2008 Vien rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The man was incomprehensible (not to mention unlistenable) and through all the incomplete sentences and bruises, I just HAD to know what the hell was wrong with him.
Denise Landkamer
Nov 24, 2013 Denise Landkamer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrific insight and explanation into the psyche of a sad man. His problems are evidenced in the state of the world he created. And we all live with the fallout.
Ross Blocher
Jun 29, 2012 Ross Blocher rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm no fan of George W. Bush, but this book read as pure speculation and relied on discounted psychoanalytic theories. A waste of time to read.
Mark
Sep 30, 2010 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot about Freudian psychology, a subject I've never been familiar with. Seeing it practically applied to a subject (W.) is fascinating.
Gillian Holmes
So, according to this analyst, Bush is a dyslexic, hyperactive, sadistic, alcoholic who wants to kill his father. Why am I not surprised?
Micky Livingston
Feb 04, 2008 Micky Livingston rated it really liked it
Great description of our 42nd President. Gives the reader a clear understanding of why Bush is like he is. I recommend this book.
Pierre-philippe
Jul 30, 2012 Pierre-philippe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book with a fluid style.
Lots of interesting insights on how childhood influenced his adult age.
Robin
Jan 22, 2009 Robin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I finally gave up without finishing this and now I am just glad that I don't care anymore. Thank goodness...
Jacqueline
Jan 04, 2011 Jacqueline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, politics
Gives insight on Bush growing years and the influence they had in his life and on his decisions.
Bobbi
Apr 19, 2010 Bobbi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boy was this eye opening! You have to read this so you understnd why he is like he is...
  • The President of Good and Evil
  • The Lies of George W. Bush: Mastering the Politics of Deception
  • Worse Than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush
  • Perilous Power: The Middle East & US Foreign Policy
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
  • Curveball: Spies, Lies, and the Man Behind Them: How America Went to War in Iraq
  • The Agony of Power
  • Bubble Of American Supremacy
  • The Republican Noise Machine: Right-Wing Media and How It Corrupts Democracy
  • Hard Call: Great Decisions and the Extraordinary People Who Made Them
  • Nothing to Fear: FDR's Inner Circle and the Hundred Days That Created ModernAmerica
  • Big Lies: The Right-Wing Propaganda Machine and How It Distorts the Truth
  • Why are We at War?
  • The Bush Tragedy
  • The End of Iraq: How American Incompetence Created a War Without End
  • Bill of Wrongs: The Executive Branch's Assault on America's Fundamental Rights
  • The Greatest Presidential Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy
  • The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder