Start by marking “Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Castaway Children” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Trixie Belden and the ...

Kathryn Kenny

Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Castaway Children (Trixie Belden #21)

The Beldens find an abandoned baby inside Reddy's doghouse.
Published February 1979 by Goldencraft (first published 1978)

Be the first to ask a question about Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Castaway Children

Lydia Dyslin
Jun 25, 2016 Lydia Dyslin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads, mysteries
I am so happy to finally have read another Trixie Belden book! It's only been a month, but it feels like forever since I read one. ;)

I think the author did a really good job of portraying Trixie's character this time around. She loves outdoorsy things and is adventurous, but she doesn't have a huge temper and she's not completely disrespectful to her friends and family!

The plot was a little confusing at points, and I think a few things were a little too rushed, but overall it was fine.

Also the
Hildegart
May 05, 2012 Hildegart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: belden
getting rid of the Dodge. Kids interpret words differently than grown ups, especially if their vocabulary is not fully formed yet. This is a book that looks at that difference with the appearance of two kids in Trixie's neighborhood. It's an enjoyable book.
Margo Brooks
Still as wholesome as ever!
J.L. Day
May 03, 2015 J.L. Day rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a HUGE and most dedicated fan of Trixie and her crew. This is odd, of course, because they were MEANT for teen and pre-teen girls, but I was a young boy that read everything he could get his hands on and when I first stumbled on my first TRIXIE BELDON book I was instantly hooked!

I immediately sat about reading them all, as quickly as I could get my greedy little paws on them. Trixie is the star, or "lead" character, followed by Jim and Honey (who quickly became the love of my young life, I had
April Brown
Dec 04, 2012 April Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Ten and up.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real world, pre - computer and pre - cell phone.

Written approximately? – 1978.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Yes. A slight mention of the time frame of the story - as the teens are give
Kelly
Mar 30, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someone needs to report Peter Belden for ethics violations. The story opens with Mr. Belden telling his wife about the Dodge family, who recently lost their home and possessions. Should he really be talking about the financial affairs of his customers? I think not.

Trixie and Bobby discover an abandoned baby in Reddy's doghouse and Sergeant Molinson aks for the Belden-Wheeler Detective Agency's help in cracking the case. They locate the baby's parents and discover there is still a missing child i
Naomi
May 14, 2014 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For Christmas one year, my parents grabbed me the entire Trixie Belden set and I couldn't put them down. After I finished with them, they continued to purchase them as quickly as I could read them. Even with a learning disability, I devoured the books. I look back now and I find that Trixie Belden was much more age related to young girls, particularly to me, reading the books than Nancy Drew. There was something in these books that I found to be a greater escape than I did ND, too. I found that ...more
Mark Baker
Nov 24, 2012 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, mystery
When the Belden family find a baby in their doghouse, it sets Trixie off on another mystery. Who is the baby? And why would someone leave him in the doghouse? This is a great entry in the second half of the series since it gives all the main characters a part to play and develops one of the secondary characters.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Tacey
Feb 21, 2013 Tacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly my absolute, very favorite Trixie: for the touching story of a desperate family, children's logic, and the solid and sensitive writing of the ghost writer, said to be Gladys Baker Bond. Bond shows us Helen Belsen's emotions when she tears up over her eldest son "growing up so fast.". Rereading this as a mom has stirred emotions I am sure I did not feel at my first go.
Meghan
The Kathryn Kenny Trixies are a bit hit or miss, but this one was really, really miss. The amount of baby-related glurge, put in the mouths of absolutely everyone from Bobby on up, is completely inexplicable.

Oh well; I would have been much more disappointed if I had found this one when I was younger.
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the setting in this one. Love the Belden's banker father dancing in the rain after being bribed with two cents by his youngest son. The mystery is kind of unbelievable in such a small town but I enjoyed it and the way the Bob-Whites were all prominent.
Tara Calaby
Mar 10, 2010 Tara Calaby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trixie Belden was one of my earliest great media obsessions. I absolutely adored all of the books and desperately wanted to be Trixie.
Telisha
Mar 07, 2011 Telisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A found baby, a missing boy and a ransom note raise more questions and worries than are answered - until Trixie and Honey solve the mystery!
PWRL
Dec 17, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Hannah
This one was really good. Trixie and her brothers find an abandoned baby in Reddy's dog house. They go on a quest to find out how the baby got there and who's baby it is.
Miri
Feb 21, 2015 Miri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the Belden family finds an abandoned baby in Reddy's doghouse, the Bob-White gang are determined to discover who left him there and why.
Elizabeth
This is the first one I ever read! I read it while I was sick one time and my mom got it for me from the library. It isn't my favorite, but it will always be the first! And I LOVE the end!
Kim
Jul 11, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
book 21
Joy Gerbode
October 2008 ... enjoyable re-read, again fun to see young people helping others. Not as good as the original books in the series, though.
Amanda
1st read: 8/11/11
Carol-Anne
Carol-Anne rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2012
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Mary Mondeau
Mary Mondeau rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2017
Liza
Liza rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2013
Renee
Renee rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2016
Joyce Oliver stahle
Joyce Oliver stahle rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2011
Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2011
Karin
Karin rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2012
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • Meg and the Disappearing Diamonds (A Meg Mystery, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Fire Dragon (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #38)
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
  • Mystery of the Green Cat
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • The Sign of the Crooked Arrow (Hardy Boys, #28)
The Kathryn Kenny pseudonym was created by Western Publishing House in 1961, three years after Julie Campbell wrote her last book (#6) of the Trixie Belden series. There were several ghost writers who wrote Trixie Belden stories under this pseudonym. Some have been identified and later credited but some are still unknown.
More about Kathryn Kenny...

Trixie Belden (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
  • The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7)
  • The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8)
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • The Marshland Mystery (Trixie Belden, #10)