Start by marking “रश्मिरथी (Rashmirathi)” as Want to Read:
रश्मिरथी (Rashmirathi)

रश्मिरथी (Rashmirathi)

Rashmirathi (रशमिरथी), meaning 'the Sun's charioteer', is one of the most popular epic poems of the great Hindi poet, Ramdhari Singh 'Dinkar'. It is one of the most appreciated works of Dinkar other than "Kurukshetra".

Karna was first born son of Kunti whom she had abandoned at birth as he was an illegitimate son. Karna grew up in a lowly family, yet became one of the best
Paperback, Third, 176 pages
Published 2009 by Lokbharti Prakashan (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about रश्मिरथी, please sign up.

Yash Mishra You can go for its explanation in simplified Hindi. I have Ashok Publication's Dinkar aur Unki Rashimrathi. (Address: 2615, Nai Sadak, New Delhi)

Asra Ghouse
Jul 09, 2011 Asra Ghouse rated it it was amazing
What can one say of Dinkar? Such unequaled is his style!

Rashmirathi is, like how Arundhati Roy puts it in The God of Small Things:

"The secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don’t deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don’t surprise you with the unforeseen. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover’s skin
Tanuj Solanki
Jul 17, 2016 Tanuj Solanki rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, hindi, india

वीर रस आज के समाज और परिसथितिओं को देखते हुए अटपटा लगता है. अगर शानति ही रहे तो अचछा है - ऐसा लगता है. पौरुष का बोलबाला हज़ारों सालों तक हो लिया, अब योदधायों और शूरवीरों का आहवान बेवकूफी लगता है.

The most famous passage is that of the first theophany - Krsna revealing himself to Duryodhana in the Kourava court. Interesting to note is the fact that this revelation takes place before the revelation to Arjuna.
Priyanshu
Sep 12, 2015 Priyanshu rated it it was amazing
“जब फ़ूल पिरोए जाते हैं,
हम उनको गले लगाते हैं”

This poem is that garland. Ramdhari Singh Dinkar Sahab's lyrical, much deserved, eulogy to Karna.
Farozan
Jan 19, 2017 Farozan rated it it was amazing
Beautifully musical and poignant!
Aishwarya Dhaigude
Aug 16, 2014 Aishwarya Dhaigude rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indian-authors
This book is just amazing!!! I got to know about it through facebook since I had liked a few pages on it. I was just enthralled by the lines that were posted from this book. Fortunately I could immediately get it and read it in one stroke. Rashmirathi is the first hindi book I have ever read and probably the best too. I have always been a huge fan of Karna and Mrityunjay and Rashmirathi have deepened my respect and admiration for him. One can read this book over and over and still find it extrem ...more
Rishabh Tripathi
Apr 02, 2014 Rishabh Tripathi rated it it was amazing
I would not take the credit off from Piyush mishra for popularizing the parts of this epos. if you have not seen gulal as well, it is the chapter where Krishna goes to duryodhan and asks rajya for the pandavas and on the refusal of duryodhan gets angry and challanges him for the battle. This chapter beautifully captures the aggravated emotions of the otherwise tactical Krishna and the fear he inculcates in the Sabha.

well thats with the popularised chapter but the rest of it is equally historical
Bharat Jain
Feb 06, 2016 Bharat Jain rated it it was amazing
I came across this book after watching this video, in which Manoj Bajpai beautifully recites verses from one of the chapters of Rashmirathi. The book eulogizes Karna, who is well-known not just for his skills and prowess as a warrior but also for his generosity and unrelenting pursuit of Dharma.
Recite it. Each verse is filled with rhythmic music and will leave you delighted.
Akash
Sep 05, 2014 Akash rated it it was amazing
the way he has written the poem is unparalleled.
A marvelous piece of writing of our times.
Shishir Chaudhary
Aug 27, 2016 Shishir Chaudhary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who knows Hindi
Shelves: favorites
Whatever you are doing right now, stop, buy this book and read it as early as possible - A one line summary of what this महाकावय is and deserves. Many of us have read a small section from this as a part of recommended school reading, the most memorable line being -

जब नाश मनुज पर छाता है
पहले विवेक मर जाता है।
(When the end of a man is nigh,
His common sense is the first to die.)

Vikalp Trivedi
Oct 27, 2016 Vikalp Trivedi rated it it was amazing
"Rashmirathi" by Ramdhari Singh Dinkar is a phenomenal poem based on the life and moreover struggle of the most underrated character of the Mahabharat - Karn . The poem is composed in Veer-Ras and is composed so brilliantly that it literally gives goosebumps to the reader .

I've read some books based on the Mahabharata in which Karn is one of the chief character . But those books mostly portrayed the tragidies surrounding Karn's life and on the other hand this books portrays the stand of Karn aga
Anshul Goel
May 16, 2013 Anshul Goel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book just blew me over. It was out of this world. Shri Dinkar ji has described Karna, probably the tallest character in Mahabharata, beautifully. He has taken those conversations of Karna which in a sense had established Karna as a revered figure. Prose he has used to described Karna's conduct took my breath away. This is not a book that one reads and forgets instead it is d one that one would like to carry with oneself.
This book has not only made me a huge fan of Ramdhari Ji but also has
Lakshay Nanda
Jan 01, 2016 Lakshay Nanda rated it it was amazing
हिनदी साहितय की एक उतकृषट कृति! ...more
Manish Kumar
Apr 19, 2012 Manish Kumar rated it it was amazing
One of the masterpieces of hindi poetry
Arman
Jul 02, 2016 Arman rated it liked it
Classic Hindi Vir Rasa Poem.
Yogesh Singh
Feb 12, 2017 Yogesh Singh rated it really liked it
Marvelous! Very inspiring.
Abhishek Pratap Singh Sikarwar
The book is a gem, I purchased it after listening one extract of it recited by Manoj Bajpayee and instantly liked it. And when I completed it, I felt like yes I Have read something which I can be proud of in my Native Language. Amazing Work.
Abhishek Sharma
This is one of the best work of Ramdhari Singh dinkar. A perfectly written poem about a person who had never found respect in his whole life.
The Karna is one of the best warrior of Mahabharat and this book a heap of story in form of poem perfectly reflects who he was.
My favourite part in this epic is "Krishna ki chetavani".below is the poem's best part.

krishna ki chetavani

varsho tak van me ghom ghoom
badha vighno ko chum chum
sah dhoop gham pani patthar
pandav aaye kuchh or nikhar
soubhagya na sab d
Abhyudaya Shrivastava
Jan 27, 2016 Abhyudaya Shrivastava rated it really liked it
I have started my 2016 with some Hindi literature. I was just browsing the internet and stumbled upon the poem 'Krishna ki Chetavani' which I had read in school. I remembered how it had given me goosebumps back in the day. So, I researched a little more about it and found out that it is part of a larger poetry text called 'Rashmirathi' (The One Who Rides On Sun-rays).

I immediately ordered this masterpiece by Ramdhari Singh 'Dinkar'. Dinkar has been a major player in the arena of Hindi poetry. A
Amit Mishra
Jun 07, 2013 Amit Mishra rated it it was amazing
Nishant Chauhan
Composed by one of the greatest Hindi language poets of all times, it is about the most controversial and powerful character of Mahabharata - Karna. A marvelous piece of writing of Hindi Literature. Remoulding a lengthy Hindu epic, Mahabharat, into a big poem. Such a pure use of words, this is a kind of work which make you fall in love with Hindi langauge and Hindu mythology. An Epic, which pack so many characters, So many emotions, so much learning that even if you hear it for a hundredth times ...more
Ankit Pensia
May 14, 2016 Ankit Pensia rated it it was amazing
I had ordered this book (first attempt at hindi poems) after watching Manoj Bajpai's recital of one of the section from the book. The video is available here. A stanza from the same poem is also delivered by Piyush Mishra in the movie Gulaal.

Ramdhari Singh Dinkar has beautifully weaved the emotions of Karna, supremacy of Krishna etc in his epic poem while describing important events of Karna's life. Karna is portrayed as epitome of infinite might of humans, a self-made man who had not deterred f
Samarendra Chakraborty
Nov 03, 2014 Samarendra Chakraborty rated it it was amazing
The best poem ever! This amazing creation of "Rashtrakavi Dinakar" was introduced to me by my engineering roommate and I am extremely thankful to him for that. I have to accept that after reading this piece of poetry , i have become a fan of Karna. Dinakar has tried to justify and glorify the character of Karna in his most famous creation and has done a a job worthy of his "RashtraKavi" status. I recommend this to be taught in every school where Hindi is taught. These are my favourite lines -

मैं
Vivek
Sep 08, 2013 Vivek rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Hindi Readers
Shelves: my-favourites
Rashmi Rathi is probably one of the greatest poetic story written in mordern times in Hindi and is decidedly the most liked works of of Shri Ramdhari Singh Dinker.

It is the story of Karna, His tryst with continuous misfortune and odds and his life long battle, his valor and his loyalty.

I am no real fan of Karna but the book make the grand hero out of Him. This book is a clear prove of the fact that the Pen is mightier than the sword.

Dialog by Krishna and Karna are unparalleled and thought prov
Pinaki Swain
Aug 26, 2016 Pinaki Swain rated it it was amazing
Masterpiece in every sense.

"बहुत धुधुआ चुकी, अब आग फूटे,
किरण सारी सिमट कर आज छूटे ।
छिपे हों देवता! अंगार जो भी,
दबे हों पराण में हूंकार जो भी,

"उनहें पुंजित करो, आकार दो है !
मुझे मेरा जवलित शृंगार दो है !
पवन का वेग दो, दुरजय अनल दो,
विकरतन ! आज अपना तेज-बल दो !

***********************
कवच-कुंडल गया; पर, पराण तो हैं,
भुजा में शकति, धनु पर बाण तो हैं ।
गयी एकागनि तो सब कुछ गया कया?
बचा मुझमें नहीं कुछ भी नया कया?

समर की शूरता साकार हूँ मैं,
महा मारतयेनद का अवतार हूँ मैं ।
विभूषण वेद - भूषित करम मेरा,
कवच ह
Naveen Singh
Nov 04, 2015 Naveen Singh rated it it was amazing
Reviewing this creation is like showing torch to the SUN. Superb Creation. The whole characteristics of Karna gets splendidly defined in this masterpiece from Dinkar Ji. Without any picture in the book the whole episodes of Mahabharta gets live such is the use of powerful words and tones. Dinkar ji has given enough space for debate where all the characters like Krishna, Kunti etc can put their angles forth.
The talent and efforts decide the fate of person not the roots where he is born. On the to
Preeti Singh
Dec 17, 2014 Preeti Singh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever read a poem which gives u goosebumps in each verse?
I never thought I could read such long poems..
Picked it up after reading an article in the Hindustan times on Hindi literature and must read books. I kept it in my shelf for 4 months before picking it up one day , reading first two pages and finishing it off at a stretch in one day !
Bam..it hits u..with each sentence..u will feel for Karna..u will cry for him..
His tragic story wants you to leap into the book n say everything will be alright
Saurabh Singh
Feb 01, 2016 Saurabh Singh rated it it was amazing
I am not sure why, but this one fills me energy. The theme isn't on inspiration, but still. The nature of the story and the time period when this was written, I was skeptical of the political inclinations of the author. (I haven't read any critical reviews before) What I found was pure masterpiece. The words flowed, in fact not only flowed they went through like currents in the sea. The rhythm will not allow you to put this one down till you have absorbed it in entirety.
I have been out of touch
Gorav Joshi
Dec 13, 2016 Gorav Joshi rated it it was amazing
Dinkar way of writing will keep you engage in a way that you will keep on reading and you will be proud of Hindi bashi after his demise there is no other Hindi writer to compete
Deepankar Rawat
Aug 16, 2012 Deepankar Rawat rated it it was amazing
A Mahakavya (poetic epic) of Hindi literature... It put forward the accounts of Karna, a mythical figure of the great epic of Mahabharata: The Great War. The forgiving nature of Karna, doubts arising in his mind and the way he copes up with them. There is every small human relation being tested in the Great Epic tale of Mahabharata. And there is only Karna who successfully passes them all and emerges as an ideal to follow.
Abhigya
Jan 27, 2013 Abhigya rated it it was amazing
Rashmirathi is the epitome of modern Hindi poetry. Ramdhari Singh Dinkar has continued his fond of valour and justice in narrating the life of Karna, a great hero from the Mahabharata. The poetry is fluid and simple allowing the reader to enjoy every single stanza. Full of inspiration and values, this is certainly his best creation. If you like reading Hindi poetry then I'm sure you'd love to read and re-read this one.
  • Saaye Mein Dhoop
  • Kamayani
  • मधुशाला
  • Raat Pashmine Ki
  • आषाढ़ का एक दिन
  • राग दरबारी
  • वोल्गा से गंगा
  • Chitralekha
  • Meri Ekyavan  Kavitayen (मेरी इक्यावन कवितायेँ )
  • सूरज का सातवाँ घोड़ा [Suraj ka Satwan Ghoda]
  • मैला आँचल
  • Vikalang Shraddha Ka Daur (विकलांग श्रद्धा का दौर)
  • Andha Yug
  • The Virgins
  • Colaba Conspiracy
  • Vaishali Ki Nagarvadhu
  • Gaban
  • काशी का अस्सी (Kashi ka Assi)
Ramdhari Singh 'Dinkar' (September 23, 1908 – April 24, 1974) was an Indian Hindi poet, essayist, patriot and academic,[1][2] who is considered as one of the most important modern Hindi poets. He remerged as a poet of rebellion as a consequence of his nationalist poetry written in the days before Indian independence. His poetry exuded veer rasa, and he has been hailed as a Rashtrakavi ("National p ...more
More about Ramdhari Singh 'Dinkar'...

“दो न्याय अगर तो आधा दो,

नर भले बने सुमधुर कोमल,
पर अमृत क्लेश का पिए बिना,
आताप अंधड़ में जिए बिना,
वह पुरुष नही कहला सकता,
विघ्नों को नही हिला सकता.

उड़ते जो झंझावतों में,
पीते जो वारि प्रपातो में,
सारा आकाश अयन जिनका,
विषधर भुजंग भोजन जिनका,
वे ही फानिबंध छुड़ाते हैं,
धरती का हृदय जुड़ाते हैं.”
10 likes