Powers, Vol. 4: Supergroup

Powers, Vol. 4: Supergroup (Powers #4)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  1,263 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Widely considered the best storyline of this Eisner Award-winning series. When one of the key members of a popular supergroup is found violently murdered, the events that follow unveil the federal government's multi-layered control of the super-hero elite and how far they will go to cover up. Walker and Pilgrim are forced to make choices that will forever change their live...more
Published September 5th 2006 by Image Comics (first published June 24th 2003)

Catherine
This is easily the best out of the first four volumes and definitely catapults the series into the next level. I was really taken aback by how intense things got and how much actually happened. It really activates the scope of the series and represents what they think is important and what direction things are going to go in. This was incredibly intsense and dramatic with unexpected and satisfying results. I'm very upset about a certain character's end however as I hoped to see a lot more of thi...more
Geoff Sebesta
I'm reading these because Oeming's art goes down smooth as a milkshake. The story is beyond bad. I think I read this once before, which is why I'm maybe so critical of it now.

Basically this is the adventure of one extremely bad cop and the various circumstances which conspire to justify her. In this volume she tortures a suspect. 'Cuz she had to, I guess. Am I reading comic books to second-guess moral justifications for imaginary characters? Because this game is old. I figured this one out with...more
Stephanie
I wavered between 2 and 3 stars for this one. This is one of those cases where half stars would be helpful. It was a entertaining story but not good enough that I could see myself picking it up to re-read again or feel the urge to recommend it like I do with most of my favourites. Also, I know that Powers came out before The Boys series but since I read The Boys first which featured similar ideas I found that the stories in Powers just didn't have the same impact. Nor are the characters are inte...more
Abby
Feb 11, 2009 Abby rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comix
I liked this one better than the others in the series so far. Probably because Deena plays a more minor and less annoying role than usual and because the storyline is more complex and intriguing than the past volumes. I don't know if that's enough to make me want to keep reading this series, however. The "How to Make Powers" feature at the back (a magazine piece on how the creative team behind "Powers" puts the comic together) was very interesting and informative however. Since most of the carto...more
Jessica
The best Powers I've read so far. A great arc, a gruesome one, and so many complications for the main characters.
Loyd
Give 'em credit, Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Oeming really know how to hit you in the gut with material that can be downright silly in someone else's hands. Powers:Supergroup is a police procedural wrapped in a conspiracy thriller wrapped in a super-hero comic. I've never been a huge far of Oeming's visual style, but it works here. Bendis always knows exactly when to pop the clutch and send the story into overdrive.

Supergroup is a story of a government-funded super-hero squad that finds its...more
Nick Klagge
Despite the high recommendation of a well-respected friend, I just never got into these books. I am not generally a comic book person but I did read and very much like Watchmen. The "Powers" books never seemed to achieve the same depth of character and plot that Watchmen did. My friend says that a lot of what's great about Powers is how the authors riff on the comic-book form, so that's something I definitely wouldn't have been able to appreciate.
Steven
Sinister government conspiracies murdering superheroes always make for an interesting read.
Sharon
Individual issues on comixology
Jeff Raymond
People really, really, really like this arc. I did too, but not as much as I've liked the first or second volume, truly.

Not much else to say about it at this point except that the game changes somewhat at the end of this book, which is something I did not expect. But Brian Michael Bendis tends to be pretty awesome at this sort of thing, so I expect nothing less in the next volume.
Jason
I recently read the entire "Powers" series by Bendis. It's amazing. Volume I-III are just okay, but starting with Volume IV, it rocked my world. He takes such a simple premise -- two hard-nosed big-city cops working superhero homicide -- and turns it into an amazing journey through society, psychology, and suspense. A great read for anyone who likes capes and capers.
Jack
Jan 18, 2009 Jack rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
A terrific entry in the Powers canon, with some great action and real stakes. I am continually impressed with this series' deft blend of police procedure and superheroes, as well as its ongoing plot threads and perfect art. Very glad that I have 5 more of these waiting on my shelf to be read!
Matt
i enjoyed the first three volumes in this series, but the storyline and realism of this one stands well above most graphic novels i've ever read. having a main character without powers is a great way twist on the genre and the artwork is an equally effective departure from the norm.
Jessica Severson
Really impressive to see Bendis & co. set up hints at the plot of this volume in earlier ones. I know my feed will get boring with the constant addition of Powers, but I find them fun and impressive. Nice to have a graphic novel around to turn to.
A compelling story and more excellent world building. The book draws me in and makes me want to know all there is to know about this world, the superheroes, and the main characters- particularly Christian.
Sean
By far the best of the POWERS series so far. Probably one of the better arcs i've come across in any comic. The city becomes the real character here.
Michael
A volume of "change", Bendis switches it up a little, character-wise while continuing the anti-powers theme. Good, open ending.
Brian
This volume really, REALLY steps up the storytelling. Awesome police drama combined with super heroes.
Zach Danielson
Probably the best Powers installment so far.
reed
This is where this series really takes off.
Jack Gattanella
Jack Gattanella marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
  • Invincible, Vol. 7: Three's Company
  • Sleeper, Vol. 2: All False Moves
  • The Authority, Vol. 2: Under New Management
  • Rising Stars: Power (Rising Stars, #2)
  • The Authority, Vol. 3: Earth Inferno and Other Stories
  • Top 10, Vol. 2
  • Astro City Vol. 4: The Tarnished Angel
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 4: March to War (Ex Machina, #4)

Though he started as a writer and artist of independent noir fiction series, he shot...more
More about Brian Michael Bendis...
House of M Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl? Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 2: Learning Curve