Start by marking “Clarice Bean Spells Trouble” as Want to Read:
Clarice Bean Spells Trouble

Clarice Bean Spells Trouble (Clarice Bean #6)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,961 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
The quirky Clarice Bean is in for a spell of trouble — and shares a lesson about kindness — in this hilarious, full-length follow-up to UTTERLY ME, CLARICE BEAN.

Clarice Bean seems to be in nonstop trouble these days, almost as much as Karl Wrenbury, who is the naughtiest boy at school. If only she could be more like her favorite book character, Ruby Redfort, girl detective
Published July 12th 2005 by Candlewick Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Clarice Bean Spells Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clarice Bean Spells Trouble

Devon Flaherty
Jul 31, 2014 Devon Flaherty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Clarice Bean trilogy by Lauren Child, published from 1999-2006. The series includes, in order, Utterly Me Clarice Bean, Clarice Bean Spells Trouble, and Clarice Bean Don’t Look Now. There are three more books related to the series, but they are picture books and I did not read them.

Best I can decipher, Child started her uber-English writing career with the invention of the Clarice Bean character, but a year later had caught the world’s attention with the first Charlie and Lola book. Now, all
Leila T.
Aug 21, 2009 Leila T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lauren Child is my favourite children's writer at the moment. The Clarice Bean series are for children aged nine, perhaps? So on the older end of the children she writes for.

I received this book as a gift twice! I think it was because of my affinity for grammar, spelling, etc. It enabled me to give one copy away to my cousin's daughter, and I think they are great children's gifts. (Even though I haven't asked my cousin's kid what she thought of it.)

There is wonderful whimsy with the language, Ch
Myrthe
Aug 14, 2015 Myrthe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!!!!! Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she always in trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Katrina
Feb 17, 2011 Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clarice Bean Spells Trouble ~ By: Lauren Child
Katrina Haley
9th Period Reading

You’d be surprised at how much not being able to spell the word rhinoceros can get you into trouble! Ten year old Clarice Bean sure knows though. Clarice Bean Spells Trouble is about a girl named Clarice Bean and her best friend Betty Moody who are huge “Ruby Redford” fans (Ruby Redford is a made up secret agent on T.V. and they are coming out with the Ruby Redford movie soon.) and are having an interesting time in s
Anna
Nov 18, 2013 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clarice Bean Spells Trouble / Lauren Child / 2005
Genre: fiction
Format: juvenile fiction

Plot Summary: Clarice Bean, aspiring actress and author, unsuccessfully tries to avoid getting into trouble as she attempts to help a friend in need by following the rules of the fictional, "exceptionordinarily" spy, Ruby Redfort.

Considerations: talk of divorce and family trouble

Review:
"The childish language and writing style will attract fans of Barbara Park's “Junie B. Jones” series (Random) and random sket
Lunapie
Jul 15, 2011 Lunapie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just saw this book in the book fair. While I was looking for a good book, I just saw this simple little book and first glance in the cover and prologue then I have a feeling that I will love it. Then while reading it, oh my! It's awesome! The characters are just doing their little ways with humorous stuffs, especially Clarice, who is very curious about words and spellings, and her friend, Betty Moody. "Don't look now" (haha!) And oh, before I forget, they are huge fans of Ruby Redford! (haha!) ...more
Lissa
Apr 03, 2015 Lissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my least favourite out of the series but I still found it amazing!
Liza
Jan 21, 2016 Liza rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the book called 1CSpells Trouble 1D by Laura Child. This is a fiction story and the genre is comedy/mystery. I read this book because I used to watch Claire Bean as a child in a cartoon and I loved it so I choose that it would be a good experience if I also read the book.

Clarice Bean goes to primary and she hates spelling, but loves a detective. Lately she has been naughty, almost as naughty as the naughtiest boy in school called Ruby Redfort. Her teacher choose to make a spelling bee for
Amy Whiffin
Clarice Bean focuses on definitions and spelling, showing a subtle way of teaching children Literacy. The vocabulary in the book is rather extensive; however when there is a word of this nature the meaning is provided, thus showing a learning intention of the book. As stated the vocabulary is extensive thus the book would be aimed for Key Stage Two, or perhaps those over the age of eight.

The style of the book is appealing to children due to the conversational format, and the graphics throughout
Cyenna Spiess
Feb 07, 2013 Cyenna Spiess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ok-book
I suggest this book for young adults
Ella
Feb 05, 2009 Ella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really Good!!!
*Miss Fame*
Oct 15, 2011 *Miss Fame* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
I think I discovered why I utterly (Clarice reference!) love these books... it's because Clarice reminds me A LOT of Junie B. Jones, just a bit older. And I love those books.

I also love these books because Lauren Child has a fantastic way of using language. Its fun and fresh and different in a way that makes her writing stand out for the better.

There is one more Clarice Bean book out... I wonder if there will be more. I hope so! Because these books are really quite fantastic!

A part I enjoyed th
Gianni Llano
Mar 03, 2015 Gianni Llano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved how this children's book walked us through an everyday life of a child. It does a great job of depicting a story told from a child's point of view through real life situations. The back of forth of various fonts was great. I appreciated the added definitions of multiple words off the dictionary. It was a great read and I think any child in elementary school would enjoy this.
Emma
Sep 17, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is around a level R. It is about a girl who needs to study for a spelling bee, and keeps getting in trouble and gets kicked out of the school play for something she didn't do! I would recommend this book to anyone who feels like her. There's other books about her but you don't have to read those first.
Dani Jones
Oct 22, 2015 Dani Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lauren should be proud of her 2nd kids novel in the Clarice Bean series, Clarice Bean Spells Trouble. This book is funny and actually brings up some good grammar questions, like "why isn't you spelled U?" and "why isn't why spelled Y?", the world may never know. I LOVED THIS FREAKING BOOK!!!!!!
Katie Fitzgerald
What I like so much about this particular book is that Clarice Bean isn’t a perfect goody two-shoes, but she also isn’t an inherently “bad” kid. She falls in that in-between area where I think so many kids would place themselves. She tries to obey authority, but finds it difficult when an authority figure is unfair, and her empathy for a friend keeps her from being able to ignore his feelings. She is kind of a combination between a character like Junie B. Jones, who also has a lot of smart-mouth ...more
babyhippoface
Hard as she tries to be good by following the advice of her hero, fictional child detective Ruby Redfort, Clarice Bean Tuesday cannot seem to stay out of trouble while preparing for a dreaded spelling bee and a school production of “The Sound of Music.” She surprises even herself, however, with her self-sacrificing efforts to help friend Karl out of a sticky situation in this second book of the spunky British girl’s exploits. Irrepressibly funny and frank, Clarice Bean narrates her exploits in a ...more
Teenreader7
Jul 20, 2014 Teenreader7 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clarice bean was my role model when I was 9 and read this! I wanted to be her: cheeky, self assured and funny without even trying! This book is funny, cute and an all round good quick read!
Gina
Mar 14, 2013 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this book because I needed something quick to read for the weekend. It is one of my all time favourite books as it's really funny and it's written by one of my favourite authors; Lauren Child. It fits in the category of female author on the bingo board. One of my favourite quotes from the book is "Sometimes you find yourself doing things you wouldn't expect yourself to be doing." This is my favourite quote because it is funny and practically everyone can relate to it. My favour ...more
Kris McCracken
Sep 11, 2014 Kris McCracken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ezra and I read this one together. Utterly fantastic, believable and well constructed novel featuring a cast of characters that you can't help but enjoy. Clarice is a fantastic narrator, and this offers a wonderful message without ever getting preachy or heavy-handed. I couldn't recommend it more highly!
Jessica Comley
It is really funny. After reading the book I found out how to spell many new words. When you read the book (which you should) you will get what I mean.
Ali Mac
Dec 22, 2014 Ali Mac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Very Random Outburst (These Are Plentiful in My Reviews): I have been reading this for so long that CB seems heroic! And this is so short... yet I'm reading nine books, so I really wouldn't trust my opinion of "a long time", if I were you... it's more like I take very long breaks in the boring parts of books and read a few series, then keep on reading those books and get through the boring parts. It's better than the first one, but pretty much the same thing. In the end, CB thinks that she's ...more
kristin
I read this book aloud to my 8 year old tutee during our tutoring sessions. It was fun, but not necessarily my favorite kids chapter book.
Kaethe
Clarice Bean is a hoot and I particularly enjoy her affection for the stories of Ruby Redfort.
Siomara
May 06, 2015 Siomara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clarice is in New York and here are just so many words to spell.
Maia Cairns-Cowan
It was good.It was very funny. Thanks Lauren Child. Great book.
Ubalstecha
Clarice Bean doesn't want to get in trouble; it seems though that trouble finds her. Mrs. Wilberton is planning a spelling bee, something that Clarice is not good at, but she studies anyway. Mrs. Wilberton is also the director of the school musical, but instead of Maria or Liesl, she makes Clarice a nun. But then Clarice does something unexpected, and that changes how everyone looks at here.

Lovely second instalment in the Clarice Bean series. Girls will see themselves in Clarice'a struggles in f
Darla
Jan 31, 2014 Darla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Exceptionordinarily" good. Read with Z; she gave it a 4 and said it was utterly satisfying and really quite amazing.
Hanuta
Aug 14, 2015 Hanuta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenagers
Really funny,but repetitive and sometimes boring.
Olivia
Nov 06, 2014 Olivia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read and big font
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Clarice Bean Spells Trouble 1 4 Aug 18, 2014 06:31AM
Clarice Bean's obsession4RubyRedfort 1 14 Sep 12, 2012 09:49AM
  • Judy Moody Goes to College (Judy Moody, #8)
  • Pencil Of Doom! (Schooling Around!)
  • Emily Eyefinger (Emily Eyefinger, #1)
  • The SOS File
  • Alice-Miranda at School
  • Geek Chic: The Zoey Zone
  • Just Grace (Just Grace, #1)
  • I, Freddy (The Golden Hamster Saga, #1)
  • The Great Hamster Massacre
  • Ruby Lu, Empress of Everything
  • Ivy and Bean and the Ghost That Had to Go (Ivy and Bean, #2)
  • The Talent Show
  • Clementine's Letter (Clementine, #3)
  • Moving Day (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #1)
  • Hazel Green
  • Oggie Cooder
  • Sophie's Tom (Sophie, #2)
42016
Lauren Child grew up in Wiltshire as the middle child of three sisters and the daughter of two teachers. She has always been interested in the many aspects of childhood, from gazing into toy shop windows to watching American children's shows from the 1960s. After attending two Art Schools, where Lauren admits that she did not learn much, she travelled for six months, still unsure about which caree ...more
More about Lauren Child...

Clarice Bean (7 books)
  • Clarice Bean, That's Me!
  • My Uncle Is a Hunkle, Says Clarice Bean
  • Clarice Bean, Guess Who's Babysitting?
  • What Planet Are You From, Clarice Bean?
  • Utterly Me, Clarice Bean
  • Clarice Bean, Don't Look Now (Clarice Bean)

“She knows that it's not my fault if I don't know how many Zs there are in LOSER.” 8 likes