The Picture of Morty & Ray

The Picture of Morty & Ray

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A classic horror movie on TV inspires Morty and Ray to paint a picture of themselves for all the wrong reasons. You may be tempted to cry out, "Stop!" But the boys are having too much fun to listen.Bubbling with questions of pickle juice and Art, Daniel Pinkwater's riotous tale tells of nice boys heading for trouble and friendship put to the test. Visual virtuoso Jack E. D...more
Published August 1st 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Picture of Morty & Ray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Picture of Morty & Ray

Kristin
I thought this was super cute because of it's play on the Picture of Dorian Grey. I never made it through that book, but I still thought this was cute because of it. Morty and Ray see a movie about a handsome man who has a picture of himself painted. He's mean, and as he is mean the picture gets uglier and uglier. Morty and Ray paint a picture of themselves and then do mean things (like sticking their butts out of the window of the school bus!!!) to see if their picture will get uglier too.
Rina
The story follows closely to that of The Picture of Dorian Grey, so two boys act horribly to make their pictures turn horrible. They are mean to their friends and at the end they don't make it right, or apologize. (Though, hey do give their friend the pictures because he think they're cool, somehow that makes up for it). I didn't like it because (to me) the story gave no consequence to their bad actions.
Lisa
So, let me get this straight-draw a picture of yourself, then do bad things to other people to see if your picture changes, then laugh about it and give the picture to your friend who thinks that it is neat. "No sorry about that" or "Hmm, might have to fix what I broke". Not exactly the example of personal responsibilty that I want to teach to my kids. Ugh!!
Cheryl in CC NV
Sorry, I'm not an 8 yo boy - and I liked The Picture of Dorian Gray, which this bastardized. So, I just couldn't appreciate this. I definitely could not have gotten through reading it to my sons.
Coral
Essentially a re-work of The Picture of Dorian Gray for kids, and my kiddo ate it up.
Misty
This picture book is a fun introduction to Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. My boys loved the hijinks the characters get into, and watching the painting transform.
Janet
I really felt like this book had a lot of potential, but sadly it fell way short of all my expectations. Bummer!
Lynne
This was a big hit with the kindergarteners at storytime!
Scott
great book right up until the end...didn't like the ending
Cat Fletcher
Cat Fletcher marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
20575
Daniel Manus Pinkwater is an author of mostly children's books and is an occasional commentator on National Public Radio. He attended Bard College. Well-known books include Lizard Music, The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death, Fat Men from Space, Borgel, and the picture book The Big Orange Splot. Pinkwater has also illustrated many of his books in the past, although for more recent works that...more
More about Daniel Pinkwater...
The Big Orange Splot Lizard Music The Neddiad: How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization 5 Novels: Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars / Slaves of Spiegel / The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death / The Last Guru / Young Adult Novel The Hoboken Chicken Emergency