Start by marking “Powers, Vol. 9: Psychotic” as Want to Read:
Powers, Vol. 9: Psychotic

Powers, Vol. 9: Psychotic (Powers #9)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  1,213 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Detective Deena Pilgrim is holding a dark secret, one destroying her life at every turn.
Published February 8th 2006 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Powers, Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Powers, Vol. 9

Geoff Sebesta
Jan 31, 2014 Geoff Sebesta rated it it was ok
I keep seeing the Powers books when I go to the library, so I decided to go ahead and read them.

Not too great.

I like Bendis. A lot. He writes great dialogue. He did some wonderful comics. He revitalized Marvel. But I can really see where the accusations of misogyny come from. His fiction really just does not like women.

This comic is basically strong silent men standing strongly and silently by as various psychotic (see the title?) and super-powered women behave foolishly and with great vanity. T
Shannon Appelcline
Oct 22, 2016 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
The main focus of this book is on the Black Guard murder. It has the usual back and forth of Powers' procedural work, but it also gives some rather nice attention to the interaction between familial life and super life while spinning it all out as a continuing repercussion of the law that made Powers illegal. It's a nice balance of a variety of thoughtful story elements.

What's more impressive is that Bendis seems to close the Black Guard murder about halfway through the volume, but then continue
Scott Lee
Jun 29, 2016 Scott Lee rated it it was amazing
Nine volumes in, possible to say anything meaningful without spoilers to the previous eight volumes? Um...no, not really. (view spoiler) ...more
Mitchell
Whoa. What? Okay so this book took a couple of left turns right out of the gate which is leaving me with a lot of huh. And it is still way more dark than I would like. And I hate having to guess on the order of the bits on the page especially when there aren't any words. But this one was kind of awesome. And I guess part of that was because Deena had a bigger role. But I liked seeing Calista as a new Retro Girl as well.
Steve
Aug 28, 2014 Steve rated it liked it
The series at this point is getting kind of stale, but if it weren't for the new Retro Girl it would be very boring. Deena's new arc is a bit on the lame side, and the main story arc with the cops and Blackguard is a bit more on the low key side, like how the series was in the first three volumes. The action panels were great, but the story was rather episodic rather than revelatory.
Fizzgig76
Aug 21, 2008 Fizzgig76 rated it really liked it
Reprints Powers (volume 2) #7-12. Blackguard is killed and Deena Pilgrim and Christian Walker investigate the murder. The second story arc of the new Powers series begins to show Deena is now not all she appears (to her surprise also). This revelation creates a role reversal from the first series and sets up a lot of new plot ideas.
Phil Bova
This volume has been the weaker of the ones I've read so far, but that doesn't mean the issue won't get a 5 star rating. The series progression had culminated into a more expansive and inclusive world of Powers.
I genuinely liked this volume, but it didn't grab me like the previous.
J.
May 04, 2009 J. rated it liked it
Not quite as good as the other story arcs. I felt that if they were going to go to the effort of exploring Batman/Joker in their own way, there could have been a lot more said. Still, I'm very interested in what's going on with Pilgrim at this point.
Jessica
Jun 18, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2014
A pretty intense arch, and Deena Pilgrim is the MVP with some real dark issues going on. Highly intrigued to keep reading.
Michael
Apr 12, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing
This novel is very noir/pulpish, meaning... I love it! Bendis screws with Deena just enough to make her narrative even more compelling (not like it needed it).
Matt
Nov 09, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it
One of my favorite Powers. One has to wonder how many superheroes would go bad given enough time.
Muffin Adorable
Jan 20, 2016 Muffin Adorable rated it really liked it
Se nota el bajón en la historia, pero lo he disfrutado como una enana. Deena es un personajazo y en menuda cruzada la han metido...
Jeff Raymond
Aug 02, 2011 Jeff Raymond rated it really liked it
A nice, dark, uncomfortable addition to the series. Not the greatest arc, but this is one of those "we're changing the game a bit" stories that keeps things really tense. Another solid piece.
Brad Hawley
Brad Hawley rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2013
Pete McAllister
Pete McAllister rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Darcy
Darcy rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Jack
Jack rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2009
Stamford Jackson
Stamford Jackson rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2008
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2008
Marissa
Marissa rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2012
Lyz King
Lyz King rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2014
bluetyson
isbn,original
Justin Unrau
Justin Unrau rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2012
Dustin George-Miller
Dustin George-Miller rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2012
aggy e.a
aggy e.a rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2013
Ava
Ava rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2013
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
May 15, 2011
Larisa Allen
Larisa Allen rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2011
Creighton
Creighton rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2007
  • Invincible, Vol. 8: My Favorite Martian
  • Sleeper, Vol. 2: All False Moves
  • The Authority, Vol. 2: Under New Management
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 2: Tag (Ex Machina, #2)
  • Top 10, Vol. 2

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

Powers (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl?
  • Powers, Vol. 2: Roleplay