Start by marking “Powers, Vol. 9: Psychotic” as Want to Read:
Powers, Vol. 9: Psychotic

Powers, Vol. 9: Psychotic (Powers #9)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  1,196 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Detective Deena Pilgrim is holding a dark secret, one destroying her life at every turn.
Published February 8th 2006 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Powers, Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Powers, Vol. 9

Geoff Sebesta
Jan 31, 2014 Geoff Sebesta rated it it was ok
I keep seeing the Powers books when I go to the library, so I decided to go ahead and read them.

Not too great.

I like Bendis. A lot. He writes great dialogue. He did some wonderful comics. He revitalized Marvel. But I can really see where the accusations of misogyny come from. His fiction really just does not like women.

This comic is basically strong silent men standing strongly and silently by as various psychotic (see the title?) and super-powered women behave foolishly and with great vanity. T
Scott Lee
Jun 29, 2016 Scott Lee rated it it was amazing
Nine volumes in, possible to say anything meaningful without spoilers to the previous eight volumes? Um...no, not really. (view spoiler) ...more
Steve
Aug 28, 2014 Steve rated it liked it
The series at this point is getting kind of stale, but if it weren't for the new Retro Girl it would be very boring. Deena's new arc is a bit on the lame side, and the main story arc with the cops and Blackguard is a bit more on the low key side, like how the series was in the first three volumes. The action panels were great, but the story was rather episodic rather than revelatory.
Phil Bova
This volume has been the weaker of the ones I've read so far, but that doesn't mean the issue won't get a 5 star rating. The series progression had culminated into a more expansive and inclusive world of Powers.
I genuinely liked this volume, but it didn't grab me like the previous.
Muffin Adorable
Jan 20, 2016 Muffin Adorable rated it really liked it
Se nota el bajón en la historia, pero lo he disfrutado como una enana. Deena es un personajazo y en menuda cruzada la han metido...
Jessica
Jun 18, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2014
A pretty intense arch, and Deena Pilgrim is the MVP with some real dark issues going on. Highly intrigued to keep reading.
Matt
Nov 09, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it
One of my favorite Powers. One has to wonder how many superheroes would go bad given enough time.
Ken Reed
Nov 08, 2015 Ken Reed rated it really liked it
Jenny
Jun 08, 2016 Jenny rated it liked it
More dark stuff, advances the story, good flashbacks. On to the next one....
Nomad nimrod
May 22, 2016 Nomad nimrod rated it it was ok
So this is getting tad bit boring now. I think i will take a break now from this for a while.
Kenny
Apr 07, 2016 Kenny rated it really liked it
Excellent
Fernando Suastegui
Jun 09, 2015 Fernando Suastegui rated it really liked it
Bendis does it again, a fantastic read.
Mitchell
Whoa. What? Okay so this book took a couple of left turns right out of the gate which is leaving me with a lot of huh. And it is still way more dark than I would like. And I hate having to guess on the order of the bits on the page especially when there aren't any words. But this one was kind of awesome. And I guess part of that was because Deena had a bigger role. But I liked seeing Calista as a new Retro Girl as well.
Joseph
Jan 18, 2014 Joseph added it
AMAZING. Anyone who has read at least one comic book should read this series.
Fizzgig76
Aug 21, 2008 Fizzgig76 rated it really liked it
Reprints Powers (volume 2) #7-12. Blackguard is killed and Deena Pilgrim and Christian Walker investigate the murder. The second story arc of the new Powers series begins to show Deena is now not all she appears (to her surprise also). This revelation creates a role reversal from the first series and sets up a lot of new plot ideas.
J.
May 04, 2009 J. rated it liked it
Not quite as good as the other story arcs. I felt that if they were going to go to the effort of exploring Batman/Joker in their own way, there could have been a lot more said. Still, I'm very interested in what's going on with Pilgrim at this point.
Jeff Raymond
Aug 02, 2011 Jeff Raymond rated it really liked it
A nice, dark, uncomfortable addition to the series. Not the greatest arc, but this is one of those "we're changing the game a bit" stories that keeps things really tense. Another solid piece.
Michael
Apr 12, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing
This novel is very noir/pulpish, meaning... I love it! Bendis screws with Deena just enough to make her narrative even more compelling (not like it needed it).
Declan
Oct 04, 2010 Declan rated it it was amazing
Zach Danielson
Jan 30, 2011 Zach Danielson rated it really liked it
Now Deena Pilgrim has her own dark secrets. Powers continues to impress me.
eXtreme
Feb 19, 2011 eXtreme rated it liked it
I dislike the excessive violence and vulgarities, but the plot is interesting.
reed
Feb 27, 2008 reed rated it it was amazing
Powers just keeps getting better and better!
Sharon
Nov 08, 2014 Sharon rated it liked it
Individual issues on comixology
Patrick
Dec 04, 2012 Patrick rated it really liked it
It becomes more and more twisted...
Tara
Jan 04, 2009 Tara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, 2009
shit is going DOWN!!!
bluetyson
isbn,original
Scott Mills
Scott Mills rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Megan Moore
Megan Moore rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Bridgette Escamilla
Bridgette Escamilla rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
  • Invincible, Vol. 8: My Favorite Martian
  • Sleeper, Vol. 2: All False Moves
  • The Authority, Vol. 2: Under New Management
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 2: Tag (Ex Machina, #2)
  • Top 10, Vol. 2

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

Powers (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl?
  • Powers, Vol. 2: Roleplay