Start by marking “Major Lord David” as Want to Read:
Major Lord David

Major Lord David (Regency Trilogy #2)

Decades of war with France are over and Napoleon Bonaparte is safely confined on Elba. Yet Major Lord David Trent finds his homecoming far from peaceful. His father, the Duke of Braughton, is determined to see his son wed, and he has a very specific bride in mind: his neighbor's daughter. David cannot recall that the neighbor even has a daughter, much less one he might fin ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 297 pages
Published May 18th 2011 by Thorndike Press (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Major Lord David, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Major Lord David

Aug 25, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book so much, I read it twice! I enjoy the characters and their personalities, and the world Ms. Ferguson has created. The books are loosely related as some of her characters are from the same family, though as stories they stand alone. Major Lord David is my favorite, but her other books follow close behind. These are regency romance/dilemma books, in which the constraints of society create unending complications, and misunderstandings between would-be couples result from many things ...more
Jul 25, 2014 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This surprised me because it didn't develop the way that I thought it would when it started out. The hero was a lot warmer and the heroine was a lot stronger. I didn't think the hero would actually go into battle, but that was wonderful and as good as any historical battle scenes I've read. You do have the feeling the heroine deserves to get away from her awful family, so it's a very satisfying end.
Mar 07, 2015 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good meshing of the historic battle with sweet romance. What's portrayed of Hougoumont is believable. And the heroine Billy wasn't just another headstrong beauty.
I really liked this book.
I never read a book about the Battle of Waterloo, so it was something new and interesting.
At first, when reading the book, I thought to myself that this was going to be the type where the couple was would just create their barriers. However, when Napoleon comes back to France and Major Lord David goes back off to battle to help, it took a new turn that kept my interest.
I think if you like the Jane Austin (characters' own stubbornness that either makes or breaks them) o
Mar 12, 2011 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smartly written regency romance. Reminds me of Georgette Heyer!
Dec 22, 2011 Alana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
really good. loved the details about the battle.
Major Lord David Trent is the younger son of the Duke of Broughton. Newly returned home from the wars, David and his father do not see eye to eye about his future. David wants to relax and settle down into a peaceful, bachelor existence, but the Duke wants to marry David off to the Squire's daughter. David doesn't even remember the Squire HAS a daughter! He is enchanted with a chestnut haired beauty at his family's New Year's masquerade ball. He longs to be alone with her and touch her glossy cu ...more
A clean Regency romance, with heavy emphasis on detailed coverage of Battle of Waterloo, the Major Lord David being an officer there. This was a Kindle Unlimited download, and it is apparently the second of three volumes in the series. It was a very abrupt happy ending.
Aug 01, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second of the series that begins with Quiet Meg. Major of the title moves through a warm-to-warmer attraction to a neighbor and toward threat of Waterloo. The romance is more like a family matter than in Quiet Meg but it seems right for the characters.
Jul 24, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this followed really well after Quiet Meg. Really absorbing description of the period up to Waterloo. I liked H/h and thought the way secondary characters were written up was well done.
Dec 06, 2014 Pilar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I missed this somehow in reading others in the series. Possibly the major is my favorite hero because he seems most open or approachable. Then, I learned something about Waterloo. Well done.
Rick F.
Mar 25, 2011 Rick F. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A magnificent historical novel- one of many written by a talented writer- top tier prose and characterizations by a must read writer
Aug 04, 2014 BJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe a little tame to start, but this builds to a great battling shoot out at Waterloo. A clean romance with a pleasant feel to it.
Aug 22, 2016 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our heroine Billy grew up among brothers and neighbours to boys her whole life. She was mistakenly identified as a boy by the one she had a crush on and now many years later he returns from the war (Major Lord David) and although their fathers are promoting the match Billy pushes David away. He never looked at her as a woman previously and although he is attracted to her, she wants his love not lust. He must attempt to prove himself worthy of her while she remains stubborn. Her brothers gambling ...more
Mar 10, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one, it was a nice sequel to Quiet Meg, continuing with the characters. I always enjoy when secondary characters in one book get to be the primary characters in their own story. The details of the military battle were fascinating. Warfare truly came down to whether or not you could protect a particular area of land, even just a garden space. It had a sweet and appropriate ending but as always when I like characters I want to read more about what happens to them later. Looking forw ...more
I didn't like this as much as Quiet Meg, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. I understand why some reviewers were annoyed with the h. However I do understand her reluctance to accept the H's proposal. I'm just glad that there wasn't any real ow/om drama.

This was a clean read and I appreciated that. I enjoyed the dual povs, the fair minded albeit hot tempered h, and the steadfast H. The long running misunderstanding was a little annoying, but Ferguson wrote the story in such a way that I was still
Mar 06, 2016 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big Heyer fan but I know I find some of the stories better done or more fun than others. I just finished An INfamous Army two weeks ago and with all Heyer, found it very well done. But I didn't like the heroine and even though Waterloo is a grim victory, I thought theaftermath in AIA was too depressing. I think this Major Lord David is more typically romantic, with a more attractive heroine and happier ending. Both tales of Waterloo.
Feb 07, 2015 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read the third book in this trilogy first, this book shouldn't have been very suspenseful. Despite knowing the outcome for our two main characters, I still couldn't put this book down until the happily ever after. I really enjoyed how the author included the Battle of Waterloo. hats off to her for doing such great research. The romance was sweet, even if I was annoyed by the communication errors. If that had been all that drove the plot I wouldn't have liked this book much. The other deta ...more
May 31, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe 3.5 stars...still a fun read and should be read after "Quiet Meg" there are characters introduced there that lead into this book. It started off really fun and then fell off a little bit for me towards the end. Very cute, though. This author is such a fun find!
Jul 15, 2016 Mardia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, Quiet Meg, and picked up the rest of the books off Amazon. Whoo boy, this book was a disappointment. The central setup of the story is exasperating: that Billie would refuse to marry David, the guy she's in love with because she thinks he's being pushed to offer marriage could work, but it's handled badly from start to finish. No real chemistry between the characters, and you never get a reasonable explanation of why Billie can't see why David is i ...more
Not my favorite Sherry Ferguson book. I've read most of her Avalon regency ones now. I am not a huge history fan, and there was a lot of pages of Bonaparte & the war in it. Overall, not one that I would read again.

Jun 24, 2016 Cara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This seemed a very good weaving of history (Waterloo) with a romance. I thought the actions of older hero (29) and yyounger heroine (19) were in line with their ages and circumstances. Dramatic and with good dialogue.
Brenna H.
A sweet, clean, fast Regency romance.

Thank you, Firstreads, and Sherry Lynn Ferguson, for this book. :)
Aug 15, 2016 Watching rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Hero is quite likeable in this book but sadly nothing else is.

This was my first read by Sherry Lynn Ferguson and most likely my last. I found Major Lord David a disappointment on many levels. The h and her family were unreasonably rude, putting me off her and hoping our H would find a kinder love. The author's writing style just did not work for me, hence I found the reading not to flow smoothly. This was a book I picked up and put down often. I was delighted when I turned to the last page s
Aug 01, 2015 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haven't been disappointed in any of these regencies. Good STORIES and clean.
Dec 17, 2015 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Managed to put a great deal into a short book; hero is wonderful.
Another well written Regency by Sherry Lynn Ferguson.
Jul 01, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick regency read.
Kay Bolton
I am beginning to realise that this author has a decent approach, but is inconsistent with style.

I am fairly sure that with a it more work on staying in a consistent style and language, and a little bit further conflict for characters, she could easily develop to a solid 4, or even 5 star writer.

She's playing safe, and it is annoying. I grade this read, a 3 star, could try harder. I keep reading, and praying at some point she will pick up the gauntlet and run with it.

Linda Morris
Aug 28, 2016 Linda Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
A wonderful, intelligently written traditional Regency about an atypical hero and heroine fighting their own battles on the eve of Waterloo. I've read many romances with a "heroine is compromised and therefore must get engaged, but doesn't want the hero to marry her only out of obligation," theme, but this is the first time I've really believed it. A great book for Georgette Heyer lovers.
  • The Celebrated Pedestrian
  • Carla Kelly's Christmas Collection
  • The Tenacious Miss Tamerlane (Alphabet Series, #2)
  • Lord Roworth's Reward (Rothschild Trilogy, #2)
  • The Unexpected Wife
  • Broken Promises
  • In Milady's Chamber (John Pickett Mysteries, #1)
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • Once Upon a Christmas (Nobody, #2)
  • Danse de la Folie
  • Heart of Deception
  • Brighton Road
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: European Collection
  • Her Master's Touch
  • The Captain's Wallflower
  • The Baron and The Bluestocking (Six Rogues and Their Ladies Book 6)

Regency Trilogy (3 books)
  • Quiet Meg (Regency Trilogy, #1)
  • Merely A Mister (Regency Trilogy, #3)