Start by marking “Alias, Vol. 3: The Underneath” as Want to Read:
Alias, Vol. 3: The Underneath

Alias, Vol. 3: The Underneath (Alias #3)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  2,250 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews
Jessica investigates Spider-Woman, a woman who may have more in common with Jessica than just her first name. Plus: J. Jonah Jameson hires Jessica to find out Spider-Man's secret identity. Collects ALIAS #10, 16-21.
Published June 11th 2003 by Marvel Comics Group

To ask other readers questions about Alias, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alias, Vol. 3

Alias Omnibus by Brian Michael BendisAlias, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael BendisDaredevil Omnibus, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael BendisHouse of M by Brian Michael BendisSecret Invasion by Brian Michael Bendis
Best of Brian Michael Bendis
8th out of 119 books — 24 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph Loeb
Best Superhero Graphic Novels
120th out of 479 books — 317 voters

More lists with this book...

The thing about being a Marvel fan is that I’ve been reading their comics off-and-on since I was a kid in the ‘70s, usually see their movies in the theaters a couple of times each, and watch all their TV shows. (Not just the Netflix ones either. I’m talking both Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter.) Yet there can still be a moment while I’m reading one of their books that I'll scratch my head and wonder who the hell Mattie Franklin is and when exactly was there a third Spider-Woman? *sigh* Well, t ...more
May 09, 2016 HFK rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphics, paidkindle
Third volume of Jessica Jones: Alias series it the best so far, and despite of the continuum of my three star banging for it, I must say and highlight the fact that this series is one of the most professional and talent-filled comic scripts I have had the honor to read, and it would deserve a higher rating just for that. But then again, when comes to personal tastes, I have never felt this to be a complete hit for me, not even when it has been quite enjoyable ride in all aspects.

That in mind, I
Jul 15, 2016 Josu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-1-mayo, marvel
Son unas cuatro estrellas un poco más flojas que en los anterior tomos, pero ahora explico por qué he decido darle esta nota.

En Lo oculto, el tercer tomo de la saga Jessica Jones, encontramos una trama de misterio respecto a Spiderwoman y su identidad. Me ha gustado mucho la introducción de otros nuevos superhéroes, el uso del dibujo en algunas ocasiones (tiene un par de escenas que destacan mucho en cuanto a estilo) y aunque los diálogos han sido más flojos, visualmente es una pieza mucho más c
Sep 07, 2014 Sesana rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt, the best volume so far. This would be a must-read if only for the first issue: Jessica meets JJJ, and cons him into paying her $200 an hour to read to orphans. And it's glorious. I read it two days ago and I'm still laughing. One of the single best issues of anything I've ever read. Even if the rest of the book sucked, I'd probably still give the whole four stars on the strength of that one single issue.

But the rest of the book does not in any way, shape, or form suck. It's abou
May 02, 2016 Brad added it
J. J. gets a nice role in these, and god I love what Jessica does to him. :)

Never read anything about the Spider-Women before, any incarnation, so this is all new to me. It's just a shame that the kid had to be such a damsel for so much of the story, not that Jessica ain't a hell of a good knight, of course. :)

I'm loving the slow reveals. Some characters like to be out there and be free to understand, but not Jessica. No, no. Not her. :) Damn the tights. Can't believe she poo-poo'd on She-Hulk,
Everybody's a smart ass here in Bendis' world:

This is actually a good story, some setbacks and emotional investment and not a ton of emotional jerking around - just grey people doing their second-best to muddle through doing something so they don't feel like a complete loser. Ain't positivity grand?

I'm pretty OK with this volume. Even the deformed art.

You want to know what I think is the best part of this book? You do, don't you? (No, not you. Well, probably none of you, but play along with me
This volume still holds my interest in the series but feels like much of the same from the previous volumes.
David Schaafsma
Dec 25, 2014 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it
My favorite of the three volumes thus far, which is I guess an argument for reading a whole series! Strong women characters, one of them, Jessica Jones, a former superhero now private investigator, and two current superheroes, one of them in dire peril… Very gritty, with plenty to keep you turning the pages. There's a complicated plot involving a newspaper editor who hates superheroes who hires Jessica to find out the true identity of Spiderman, who gets punk'd by Jessica in the process, and thi ...more
Dec 21, 2015 Renata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would read an entire volume that was just Jessica scamming J. Jonah Jameson, for the record, but the rest of the plot was killer also. <3
Stacy Fetters
Mar 12, 2016 Stacy Fetters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
Jessica Jones is a complete badass. She'll piss on your head and tell you it's raining.
This volume had it all and is my absolute favorite so far.
I think I found my new spiritual guru!
Apr 08, 2016 Albert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessica Jones: Alias, Vol.3 pulls together Alias #10 and #16-#21 from the Max Comic Line of Marvel books. With the popularity of the Netflix series, I realized that I knew very little about the character Jessica Jones so I picked up the only graphic novel of her I could find at my local library. What I found is one of the most original stories I have ever encountered in a comic book. The bigger surprise is that it was actually published by Marvel.

As a costumed super hero, Jessica Jones was a pat
Jessica Stark
Jul 28, 2016 Jessica Stark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessica es genial, me encanta.
Roxana-Mălina Chirilă
Jan 21, 2016 Roxana-Mălina Chirilă rated it really liked it
I'd give it something like 3.5 stars rather than 4, but a lot of people here are saying that Alias, Vol. 3 is better than volumes 1 and 2, and, as far as I'm concerned, they're right.

The characters are fleshed out better. It's no longer assumed that we know everybody by name and reputation, the way I assumed it was supposed to go when we saw Captain America in Vol. 1. Nor are things too rushed through for us to get to know anyone well.

This time, Spirdergirl, *cough*, sorry, Spider Woman, is som
Althea J.
Oct 22, 2015 Althea J. rated it it was amazing
Doing a re-read of Alias, one of my top five favorite series ever, gearing up for the Jessica Jones show on Netflix. These are from the story “The Underneath” and are just the tip of the iceberg of what I love about this series… everything from the unbelievable art and cover art, to the phenomenal pacing that is established by the page layout, to the humor and attitude of Ms. Jones herself.

(if these images don't show up well, check out my tumblr post of this review to see them in their full glor
Alan Chen
Jan 15, 2016 Alan Chen rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Mattie, the latest iteration of spider woman (of 3) mysteriously ends up in Jessica's place looking high and then flies out of her window. Jessica something is wrong and decides to investigate. She talks to Madame Web who can see the possibilities for the future and in one Mattie kills Jessica and in another Jessica kills Mattie. JJ finds out that Mattie is being drugged by a drug dealer and is usually found in a club. He locates her and gets smashed by one of his goons. Turns out the drug they' ...more
Anna Hakopian t (-_-t)
Oct 05, 2016 Anna Hakopian t (-_-t) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: october-2016
Well I am now obsessed with jessica jones.
Matt Smith
Nov 22, 2015 Matt Smith rated it really liked it
Volume 3 of Alias takes us to the seedy underbelly of the Marvel Universe in ways the last two volumes of Alias haven't. If the first volume was about celebrity and the second volume was about prejudice, the third installment explores more of like... male privilege I suppose, or at least, feminism in a world of patriarchy. Not only that, but it continues this downward spiral where we keep pulling back the layers of who Jessica Jones is and what she's all about.

The strength of this is down to Ben
Oct 16, 2015 Lila rated it really liked it

First of all: this is my favorite David Mack cover art.

These colors are everything.

Right around Vol. 3 you become aware that Bendis is pushing his character and reader toward something.
We are also firmly tying into Marvel and Jessica's connection to Avengers. She is dating Scott Lang (Antman) and another case fell in her lap: a young woman in Spider-woman costume, Mattie, needs her help.
And Jessica is really feeling strongly about this girl and this case.
This is all hinting toward resoluti
Mar 17, 2013 Fizzgig76 rated it really liked it
Reprints Alias #10 and #16-21 (August 2002-June 2003). Jessica Jones returns home to find a girl in her apartment, dressed as Spider-Man, and who flees when she realizes she doesn’t know her. Jessica learns that the girl is Mattie Franklin, the third Spider-Woman, and that she is in trouble. This is complicated by the fact that Mattie is the foster daughter of J. Jonah Jameson who already has a rocky past with Jessica. Now Jessica must set out to free Mattie from the group using her and it bring ...more
Jan 09, 2016 Meri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ha sido genial! No se porque la gente sigue pensando que los cómics son para niños, frikis o gente a la que no le gusta leer. La verdad es que la trama es muy de la línea de los super-héroes que todo el mundo conoce. Sin embargo, el personaje de Jessica es muy original, ya que es una protagonista femenina fuerte y con una personalidad compleja, al igual que su pasado. Me ha gustado, creo que es bastante diferente a lo que estoy acostumbrada respecto a cómics.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Oct 31, 2015 Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics, tv_tie-in, library
I was hoping for it to get better. But it didn't. It really really didn't. The "innovative layout" is getting more and more gimmicky, and the layout when the initial "consults" are given is repetitive. But more than that I'm having serious issues with the whole exploitative nature of these fucked up women. Yes, I'm sure there are those who would say it's not exploitative because in the end the women are the heroes. But their journey is just as important, and all the sex, drugs, and violence that ...more
Dec 20, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it
#10 is the single best issue ever. Jessica Jones accepts a job to find out Spiderman's secret identity and it is awesome. The art/layout is different than typical in the series too which was a pleasant change.
mike andrews
The books are very good at bringing the superhumans down to our level and showing their more human attributes. Jessica tries to locate a strung out teen with super powers in this one.
feux d'artifice
Jan 16, 2016 feux d'artifice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The weakest of the series so far primarily due to the extensive cross-universing. But still good due to its dark nature and the foreshadowing of Jessica's origin (and trauma).
Feb 15, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it
Well, was more tipsy when I finished this, but I like it! I like Ant-Man! And I like Jessica. She's certainly in that vein of cynical heroines who CARE.
Feb 16, 2016 Heatherblakely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this one is my favorite so far. The tone felt different--more serialized than episodic. I liked it. Excited to keep going.
Sarah S
I really liked the first chapter, but oh boy you can tell this book is written by a dude. And that it's more than a decade old.
Mar 05, 2016 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
The series gets better and better. It's fun seeing some of the more obscure and lesser known superheroes make appearances.
Wayland Smith
Sep 25, 2016 Wayland Smith rated it liked it
I had a decent review of this. Goodreads ate it. I may redo it as time allows.
  • Hawkeye, Vol. 4: Rio Bravo
  • Hawkeye, Vol. 5: All-New Hawkeye
  • Daredevil, Vol. 14: The Devil, Inside and Out, Vol. 1
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 2: Squirrel You Know It's True
  • X-Factor: Many Lives of Madrox
  • Avengers: The Enemy Within
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 6: Ascension
  • Gotham Central, Vol. 4: The Quick and the Dead
  • Thor, Vol. 2: Who Holds the Hammer?
  • Black Widow, Volume 2: The Tightly Tangled Web
  • Daredevil, Vol. 8: Echo
  • X-23: Target X
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 8: Blood and Circuits

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

Alias (4 books)