Start by marking “Tomorrow the World: In Which Cadet Otto Prohaska Carries the Habsburg Empire's Civilizing Mission to the Entirely Unrece” as Want to Read:

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Laced with smart humor, this naval tale follows the early career of Lieutenant Otto Prohaska, a cadet in the Austro-Hungarian Navy at the turn of the century. Bad luck continues to shadow Otto, and when a fellow cadet breaks his leg, Otto must take his place on a scientific expedition bound for disaster. But even sinister quack scientists, a misguided attempt to establish ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by McBooks Press (first published September 20th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Tomorrow the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomorrow the World

Eric Knudsen
Life is hard for an Austro-Hungarian naval cadet. One day you're eating aged salt pork on an even more aged sailing ship, and the next day you find a cross-dressing superior officer in a South American bordello. What to do, what to do...
Darryl Bortolot
A thoroughly enjoyable read. It reminds me of Donald Jack's "Bandy Papers", which I read back in high school so many years ago. Otto Prohaska is a centenarian reflecting on his life as a young cadet in the Austro-Hungarian Navy at the turn of the 20th century. The history is dead on. Poignant at times, hilarious at others, but always entertaining. I definitely am going to seek out the rest of the books in the series - especially considering that this is the final book in the series (a prequel).
Andrew Post
If there was a way of rating this as a 4.75 stars out of 5, I would. There really was nothing wrong at all with this book, it is a great one and highly recommended. My only complaint, if you can actually call it that, would be that in Historical Fiction I prefer my protagonist to be unreliable and self-serving. Otto Prohaska is a good person, and morally sound which takes a bit of the edge off of the story arch for me personally. However there are plenty of other characters with abusive and almo ...more
P.d.r. Lindsay

I'd heard raves about John Biggin's novels set in the last fifty years of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Now I understand why. If you enjoy an author who writes with authority, (like Michael Pearce, and with the same depth of knowledge and dry wit,) who has the outsider's eye for noticing and observing, then Biggins is for you. Start with this novel and read the whole series. It’s brilliant.

'Tomorrow the World' shows young Otto Prohaska becoming Cadet Prohaska, in what is left of the Hapsburg Emp
Luis Granados
Not quite as good as first three. Disappointed that nothing was written about Prohaska after WW1, though.
Paul
I found this fourth book in the Otto Prohaska series to be Biggins' best. I really enjoyed the story which was interesting and exciting, and peppered with just enough observations on life and people to keep me laughing throughout the book. Highly recommended.
HA
Great stuff. A nice little trip around the horn, a caper among the cannibals and missionaries (the latter being worse than the former), and racial-theorizing-Social Darwinists to boot. Great stuff. I wish there were more in this series.
John Hammer
Doesn't reach the level of previous stories of Otto Prohaska. Too bad as I was looking for more entertainment. Good way to learn what it must have been like aboard one of the last sailing warships at the turn of the 20th Century.
Stephen Callahan
WW1 from the Austro-Hungarian point of view. Sadly unique because no one has before or since tackled the subject. Pity he only wrote 4 books.
Larry
The great series continues. The four novels make up one of the great historical portraits of an age.
Black Pobble
Black Pobble marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Kittybiscuit
Kittybiscuit marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
D Sibilant
D Sibilant marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Eleanor
Eleanor marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Zamenhof
Zamenhof marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Kaloyan Momchev
Kaloyan Momchev marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
John Biggins was born in October 1949 in the town of Bromley; then in Kent but now an outer suburb of London and notable only as the birthplace of H.G.Wells and the deathplace of the Emperor Napoleon III. The son of an electrician and part-time Communist Party activist, his childhood was sickly and his schooling intermittent; though he made up for this with a great deal of precocious reading while ...more
More about John Biggins...
A Sailor of Austria: In Which, Without Really Intending to, Otto Prohaska Becomes Official War Hero No. 27 of the Habsburg Empire The Emperor's Coloured Coat: In Which Otto Prohaska, Hero of the Habsburg Empire, Has an Interesting Time While Not Quite Managing to Avert the First World War The Two-Headed Eagle: In Which Otto Prohaska Takes a Break as the Habsburg Empire's Leading U-boat Ace and Does Something Even More Thanklessly Dangerous The Surgeon's Apprentice A Sailor of Austria