Start by marking “My Faraway One: Selected Letters of Georgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz” as Want to Read:
My Faraway One: Selected Letters of Georgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz

My Faraway One: Selected Letters of Georgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  14 reviews
There are few couples in the history of 20th-century American art and culture more prominent than Georgia O'Keeffe (1887–1986) and Alfred Stieglitz (1864–1946). Between 1915, when they first began to write to each other, and 1946, when Stieglitz died, O'Keeffe and Stieglitz exchanged over 5,000 letters (more than 25,000 pages) that describe their daily lives in profoundly ...more
Published June 21st 2011 by Yale University Press (first published May 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about My Faraway One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Faraway One

Emily
Jul 25, 2011 Emily marked it as to-read
From NPR's website:

From 1915 until 1946, some 25,000 pieces of paper were exchanged between two major 20th-century artists. Painter Georgia O'Keeffe and photographer Alfred Stieglitz wrote each other letters — sometimes two and three a day, some of them 40 pages long. The correspondence tracks their relationship from acquaintances to admirers to lovers to man and wife to exasperated — but still together — long-marrieds.

The first volume of those letters has just been published. My Faraway One, ed
Sue
Jun 07, 2011 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: romance
I won this novel, My Faraway One, selected letters of Georgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz: Volume One, 1915-1933, through Goodreads giveaway contest.This novel represents a moving account of the lives of two of America's artists and gives a history of information on twentieth-century American art and culture.The selection of letters written between Georgia and Alfred gives a passionate account of their daily lives in New York, Texas and New Mexico during the months that they were apart, betwee ...more
Katherine
Jul 11, 2011 Katherine marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
June 6--OMG--This book has arrived today and it is over 700 pages! It is going to be awhile before I'm able to review it

July 11 --I have been staring at this tome trying to figure out how to read it and do the review justice.

Have decided on a plan of attack for that 700+ page selected letters of O'Keeffe=Stieglitz ! Grew up on snail mail so will read them as though I just wrote and wait a couple of days to read the response.But I will immediately read " my " response. May take me awhile but I
Emily Beh
sublime. a somewhat permanent possession, if that be possible.
Holly
I enjoyed taking my time with these letters, reading several letters a day. As with every person, not everyday is exciting, there are times that are monotonous and the letters do reflect that, on the other side there are some that are more exciting and interesting.
I would recommend this for anyone who likes to take their time reading over a cup of coffee or hot chocolate (picturing an idealistic setting here with snow in the background).

I won this from Goodreads Firstreads.
Melinda
I couldn't finish it. There were moments that were really engaging and interesting, and then moments that were a real struggle to get through. The editor's footnotes and omission of certain letters between Georgia and Alfred frustrated me. I wanted to finish, to know what happens, but the monotonous description of her time in New Mexico is more than I can bear.
Denise
3Nov2011
I'm a bit more than midway through this book. Currently in my reading - O'Keeffe is on her first trip to Taos and the letters to AS are full of incredibly happiness and growth. The letters from AS to GO are full of panic, fear, and neurotic ramblings. It's difficult while reading someone's personal letters to not feel like a voyeur.
Tom
Jan 11, 2012 Tom marked it as to-read
Shelves: art
Very interesting NYRB review re this and other books about O & S. I appears that GO was as fascinating a writer as artist.

Ann
Sep 14, 2011 Ann is currently reading it
This is going to be a long process. I think I'll read a few letters at a time and let them sink in a bit. I so admire these two people in many ways. I look forward to getting to know them better.
Ramarie
it's 800 pages (and it's only volume 1) and if my to-read pile wasn't growing, I would continue to read this...the intimacy of the letters is fascinating.
Tiffony
May 20, 2011 Tiffony marked it as to-read
O'Keeffe's paintings and Stieglitz's photographs were among my favorites long before I knew they were married. Would LOVE to have this book!!
Suzanne
Apr 05, 2013 Suzanne marked it as to-read
Not done yet - it's a large book 700 plus pages! I'll have to buy a copy and so I read at my leisure.
Jeanne
Jul 21, 2011 Jeanne marked it as to-read
Just heard about it on Morning Edition; sounds great. Another to the 'to read' shelf.
Leslie
I adore this book. A more beautiful account of love has yet to be collected...
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Susanna
Susanna is currently reading it
Dec 08, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Anya Nikoulina
Anya Nikoulina marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Petra
Petra marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Bethany Gordon
Bethany Gordon marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Joy Brooks
Joy Brooks marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Betty
Betty is currently reading it
Oct 29, 2014
Jill Minor
Jill Minor marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Azzam Merchant
Azzam Merchant marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
  • Open Me Carefully: Emily Dickinson's Intimate Letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson
  • What There Is to Say We Have Said: The Correspondence of Eudora Welty and William Maxwell
  • Letters on Cézanne
  • Off the Wall: A Portrait of Robert Rauschenberg
  • Georgia O'Keeffe: A Life
  • Revolution: The Year I Fell in Love and Went to Join the War
  • Selected Letters
Looking in: Robert Frank's the Americans The Art of the American Snapshot, 1888-1978: From the Collection of Robert E. Jackson Beat Memories: The Photographs of Allen Ginsberg Andre Kertesz On the Art of Fixing a Shadow: One Hundred and Fifty Years of Photography