Start by marking “My Faraway One: Selected Letters of Georgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz” as Want to Read:
My Faraway One: Selected Letters of Georgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz

My Faraway One: Selected Letters of Georgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz

There are few couples in the history of 20th-century American art and culture more prominent than Georgia O'Keeffe (1887–1986) and Alfred Stieglitz (1864–1946). Between 1915, when they first began to write to each other, and 1946, when Stieglitz died, O'Keeffe and Stieglitz exchanged over 5,000 letters (more than 25,000 pages) that describe their daily lives in profoundly ...more
Published June 21st 2011 by Yale University Press (first published May 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about My Faraway One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Faraway One

Holly
May 25, 2011 Holly rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed taking my time with these letters, reading several letters a day. As with every person, not everyday is exciting, there are times that are monotonous and the letters do reflect that, on the other side there are some that are more exciting and interesting.
I would recommend this for anyone who likes to take their time reading over a cup of coffee or hot chocolate (picturing an idealistic setting here with snow in the background).

I won this from Goodreads Firstreads.
Emily
May 05, 2011 Emily marked it as to-read
From NPR's website:

From 1915 until 1946, some 25,000 pieces of paper were exchanged between two major 20th-century artists. Painter Georgia O'Keeffe and photographer Alfred Stieglitz wrote each other letters — sometimes two and three a day, some of them 40 pages long. The correspondence tracks their relationship from acquaintances to admirers to lovers to man and wife to exasperated — but still together — long-marrieds.

The first volume of those letters has just been published. My Faraway One, ed
Heather Wilensky
Jan 04, 2015 Heather Wilensky rated it did not like it
Even though George O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz wrote thousands of pages of letters to each other, that doesn't mean they all need to be reprinted in order to share their major themes and reveal the surrounding environment that shaped them. However, this 800 book makes the reader feel as though s/he is reading every single letter they wrote to each other regardless of the mundane and tediousness or pure boredom that can ensue -- and it's only volume one! I gave up after the first quarter and ju ...more
Sue
May 24, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I won this novel, My Faraway One, selected letters of Georgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz: Volume One, 1915-1933, through Goodreads giveaway contest.This novel represents a moving account of the lives of two of America's artists and gives a history of information on twentieth-century American art and culture.The selection of letters written between Georgia and Alfred gives a passionate account of their daily lives in New York, Texas and New Mexico during the months that they were apart, betwee ...more
Katherine
May 24, 2011 Katherine marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
June 6--OMG--This book has arrived today and it is over 700 pages! It is going to be awhile before I'm able to review it

July 11 --I have been staring at this tome trying to figure out how to read it and do the review justice.

Have decided on a plan of attack for that 700+ page selected letters of O'Keeffe=Stieglitz ! Grew up on snail mail so will read them as though I just wrote and wait a couple of days to read the response.But I will immediately read " my " response. May take me awhile but I
Melinda
I couldn't finish it. There were moments that were really engaging and interesting, and then moments that were a real struggle to get through. The editor's footnotes and omission of certain letters between Georgia and Alfred frustrated me. I wanted to finish, to know what happens, but the monotonous description of her time in New Mexico is more than I can bear.
Denise
Jul 23, 2011 Denise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
3Nov2011
I'm a bit more than midway through this book. Currently in my reading - O'Keeffe is on her first trip to Taos and the letters to AS are full of incredibly happiness and growth. The letters from AS to GO are full of panic, fear, and neurotic ramblings. It's difficult while reading someone's personal letters to not feel like a voyeur.
Tom
Jan 11, 2012 Tom marked it as to-read
Shelves: art
Very interesting NYRB review re this and other books about O & S. I appears that GO was as fascinating a writer as artist.

Tiffony
May 20, 2011 Tiffony marked it as to-read
O'Keeffe's paintings and Stieglitz's photographs were among my favorites long before I knew they were married. Would LOVE to have this book!!
Ann
Aug 02, 2011 Ann is currently reading it
This is going to be a long process. I think I'll read a few letters at a time and let them sink in a bit. I so admire these two people in many ways. I look forward to getting to know them better.
Suzanne
Mar 16, 2013 Suzanne marked it as to-read
Not done yet - it's a large book 700 plus pages! I'll have to buy a copy and so I read at my leisure.
Ramarie
it's 800 pages (and it's only volume 1) and if my to-read pile wasn't growing, I would continue to read this...the intimacy of the letters is fascinating.
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2013
Marica
Marica rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Jodi Gallagher
Jodi Gallagher rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2015
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2012
Ayana
Ayana rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Tammie Pierce
Tammie Pierce rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2014
RoseMarie
RoseMarie rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2011
Shireen Kathryn
Shireen Kathryn rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2015
cold green tea
cold green tea rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2012
Kelsey Binder
Kelsey Binder rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
LD
LD rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2011
Rikki O.
Rikki O. rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Art and Madness: A Memoir of Lust Without Reason
  • What There Is to Say We Have Said: The Correspondence of Eudora Welty and William Maxwell
  • Floating Worlds: The Letters of Edward Gorey & Peter F. Neumeyer
  • Letters on Cézanne
  • The Shakespeare Manuscript
  • From Then to Now: A Short History of the World
  • An Emergency in Slow Motion: The Inner Life of Diane Arbus
  • Z 2 A
  • Back to the Best Books
  • 1923: A Memoir: Lies and Testaments
  • Open Me Carefully: Emily Dickinson's Intimate Letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson
  • Darwin's Origin of the Species: A Biography
  • The Selected Letters
  • Portrait of an Artist: A Biography of Georgia O'Keeffe
  • Violet to Vita: The Letters of Violet Trefusis to Vita Sackville-West, 1910-1921
  • Joan Mitchell: Lady Painter