Start by marking “Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves” as Want to Read:
Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves

Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  22 reviews
"A dear stream of practical knowledge with the mind change we need to save the life of our Mother Earth--and ourselves . . . This is a book for every person who loves this planet. Eagle Man shows us the joyful path home to our universal Mother."

?ynthia Bend, Water Spirit Woman, co-author of Birth of a Modem Shaman

"A rich panorama of our native heritage which allows the see...more
Published April 5th 2011 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Mother Earth Spirituality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother Earth Spirituality

Rah~ri
Oct 22, 2007 Rah~ri rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nate
So ya wanta learn about shamanism, hmm? : ) Dude. It's better to ask the aliens to come and get you right now ! Shamanism exists in every culture. In order to really learn about it though it's better (IMOHO) to chose a culture you love and go to the roots of it. The roots of that society/the religion/the cultural beliefs of the people that are so ingrained that the general populace don't even know they exist. Your looking at Native American stuff so a good way to get to the shamanistic stuff is...more
Gwendoline Van
The tattered and worn cover from the library copy I checked out of this book should've been enough to convince me that I'd find Mother Earth Spirituality as riveting as previous readers, but alas, I remain beyond pleased and touched by the contents of its pages.

Ed McGaa introduces us "two-legged" folks to the realm of Sioux spirituality, offering ceremonies and symbolism for greater connection to each other and Mother Earth. McGaa lays down the foundation with forays into the medicine wheel, th...more
Scott Block
A wonderful, straight forward look at spirituality. This book really gives you an understanding of Native American beliefs and their relationship with the earth and all things natural. It goes into all aspects of their religion, how they practice it, the ceremonies that are used to practice it, and how it is used in their everyday lives. It's an educational read, a spiritual read and, I believe, a book that anyone can read and come out a better person.
Aaron Urbanski
What a great read! This book has rejuvenated my spirituality, and was the catalyst to 3 supernatural feats I experienced this summer & I will cherish forever. The first half gives a little background information about Black Elk's vision and then moves on to Native American traditions such as the vision-quest, the sweat lodge, the sun dance etc. Highly reccomend to all!
Alyssa
Beautiful and fuels compassion for all living things. The Natives had it right. McGaa writes honestly and simply. I read this book very quickly.
Jonathan
Similiar to "The Way", this book led me in the right direction for who I am today.
Sara
This book was recommended by Gloria Steinem as being a good representation of a spiritual belief system that includes women as equals. This book goes explain that very well.

Eagle Man lifts the veil on sacred Sioux spiritual activities - sweat lodges, spirit guides, sacred stones, vision quests, the White Buffalo Calf Woman, peace pipes and more are explained in detail. Eagle Man advises he wrote the book for all of us, not just the red man, to be able to use the ways of the red man to grow close...more
Chante
super easy to read for me. I gobbled this book up!
Summerrain
Native American Spirituality, Loved It!
Francesca Lorenzini
I contenuti non sono bene organizzati; è più un flusso di ricordi, riflessioni e appelli.
E' interessante in quanto testimonianza diretta di un nativo oglala che ha assistito alla rinascita della spiritualità del suo popolo e al progressivo recupero delle tradizioni.
Todd
This is a good book for getting a foundational knowledge of native American (plains) spirituality. McGaa is a second generation learner and does not have a pure Indian outlook, not to mention that he is quite opinionated, but it is worth the read.
Reuel
I read this book while attending an Intercultural Communication conference in Banff, Alberta. Although the book was too spiritual for me, it presented the perspective of native American tribes and fit well with the conference and location.
Lynn Wilson
Jun 29, 2008 Lynn Wilson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
A really important book for those who are interested in the well-being of earth. Also of interest for anyone interested in Native American beliefs and practices.
Dawn
Dec 25, 2007 Dawn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: white folks everywhere-hahaha
it is a clear explaination of Lakota spirituality
It is also a great way to live your life in balance
Fred
How to conduct ceremonies and the making of blood relatives. Interesting!
Jeni Hogenson
Great look at Native ways of honoring spirit, ourselves and the earth
Nocturn
Shamanism, environmentalism, idealism, Culture/religion co-existence.
Cecilia Callan
I will be looking for more books by Eagle Man McGaa
Sean
Really moving book, one can feel the truth in it.
John Augustine
Grounding. I've read it twice.
Shelly H
Georjeans use as ref.
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Caroline Kvasnak
Caroline Kvasnak marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Becky Ryals
Becky Ryals marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Kate Burke
Kate Burke marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
  • The Earth Path: Grounding Your Spirit in the Rhythms of Nature
  • Jambalaya: The Natural Woman's Book of Personal Charms and Practical Rituals
  • Wheels of Life: A User's Guide to the Chakra System
  • Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self
  • Celtic Myth & Magick: Harnessing the Power of the Gods and Goddesses (Llewellyn's World Religion and Magic Series) (Llewellyn's World Religion and Magic Series)
  • Healing Anger: The Power Of Patience From A Buddhist Perspective
  • Daughters of Copper Woman
  • The Grandmother of Time: A Woman's Book of Celebrations, Spells, and Sacred Objects for Every Month of th
  • Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind
  • The Woman's Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects
Nature's Way: Native Wisdom for Living in Balance with the Earth Rainbow Tribe: Ordinary People Journeying on the Red Road Native Wisdom: Perceptions of the Natural Way Crazy Horse And Chief Red Cloud: Warrior Chiefs- Teton Oglalas Eagle Vision: Return of the Hoop