Start by marking “Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves” as Want to Read:
Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves

Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  318 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
"A dear stream of practical knowledge with the mind change we need to save the life of our Mother Earth--and ourselves . . . This is a book for every person who loves this planet. Eagle Man shows us the joyful path home to our universal Mother."

?ynthia Bend, Water Spirit Woman, co-author of Birth of a Modem Shaman

"A rich panorama of our native heritage which allows the see
Published April 5th 2011 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Mother Earth Spirituality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother Earth Spirituality

Aaron Urbanski
Feb 16, 2011 Aaron Urbanski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
What a great read! This book has rejuvenated my spirituality, and was the catalyst to 3 supernatural feats I experienced this summer & I will cherish forever. The first half gives a little background information about Black Elk's vision and then moves on to Native American traditions such as the vision-quest, the sweat lodge, the sun dance etc. Highly reccomend to all!
Rah~ri
Oct 22, 2007 Rah~ri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nate
So ya wanta learn about shamanism, hmm? : ) Dude. It's better to ask the aliens to come and get you right now ! Shamanism exists in every culture. In order to really learn about it though it's better (IMOHO) to chose a culture you love and go to the roots of it. The roots of that society/the religion/the cultural beliefs of the people that are so ingrained that the general populace don't even know they exist. Your looking at Native American stuff so a good way to get to the shamanistic stuff is ...more
Gwendoline Van
Jul 13, 2014 Gwendoline Van rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The tattered and worn cover from the library copy I checked out of this book should've been enough to convince me that I'd find Mother Earth Spirituality as riveting as previous readers, but alas, I remain beyond pleased and touched by the contents of its pages.

Ed McGaa introduces us "two-legged" folks to the realm of Sioux spirituality, offering ceremonies and symbolism for greater connection to each other and Mother Earth. McGaa lays down the foundation with forays into the medicine wheel, th
Scott Block
Jan 12, 2012 Scott Block rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-read
A wonderful, straight forward look at spirituality. This book really gives you an understanding of Native American beliefs and their relationship with the earth and all things natural. It goes into all aspects of their religion, how they practice it, the ceremonies that are used to practice it, and how it is used in their everyday lives. It's an educational read, a spiritual read and, I believe, a book that anyone can read and come out a better person.
Alyssa
Nov 23, 2008 Alyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and fuels compassion for all living things. The Natives had it right. McGaa writes honestly and simply. I read this book very quickly.
Jonathan
Jan 07, 2008 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Similiar to "The Way", this book led me in the right direction for who I am today.
Summerrain
Jun 28, 2014 Summerrain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Native American Spirituality, Loved It!
Sara
This book was recommended by Gloria Steinem as being a good representation of a spiritual belief system that includes women as equals. This book goes explain that very well.

Eagle Man lifts the veil on sacred Sioux spiritual activities - sweat lodges, spirit guides, sacred stones, vision quests, the White Buffalo Calf Woman, peace pipes and more are explained in detail. Eagle Man advises he wrote the book for all of us, not just the red man, to be able to use the ways of the red man to grow close
Chante
Aug 23, 2014 Chante rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
super easy to read for me. I gobbled this book up!
Francesca Lorenzini
I contenuti non sono bene organizzati; è più un flusso di ricordi, riflessioni e appelli.
E' interessante in quanto testimonianza diretta di un nativo oglala che ha assistito alla rinascita della spiritualità del suo popolo e al progressivo recupero delle tradizioni.
Todd
Jan 31, 2012 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book for getting a foundational knowledge of native American (plains) spirituality. McGaa is a second generation learner and does not have a pure Indian outlook, not to mention that he is quite opinionated, but it is worth the read.
Reuel
Mar 10, 2008 Reuel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book while attending an Intercultural Communication conference in Banff, Alberta. Although the book was too spiritual for me, it presented the perspective of native American tribes and fit well with the conference and location.
Lynn Wilson
Jun 29, 2008 Lynn Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
A really important book for those who are interested in the well-being of earth. Also of interest for anyone interested in Native American beliefs and practices.
Dawn
Dec 25, 2007 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: white folks everywhere-hahaha
it is a clear explaination of Lakota spirituality
It is also a great way to live your life in balance
Fred
Jun 16, 2008 Fred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How to conduct ceremonies and the making of blood relatives. Interesting!
Jeni Hogenson
Great look at Native ways of honoring spirit, ourselves and the earth
Nocturn
Sep 08, 2012 Nocturn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shamanism, environmentalism, idealism, Culture/religion co-existence.
Kathy
Nov 05, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written descriptions of history and practice.
Cecilia Callan
I will be looking for more books by Eagle Man McGaa
Sean Glover
Really moving book, one can feel the truth in it.
John Augustine
Sep 23, 2012 John Augustine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grounding. I've read it twice.
Shelly H
Georjeans use as ref.
Janel
May 21, 2012 Janel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was ok.
Nikola Kocic
Nikola Kocic rated it did not like it
Feb 08, 2016
Ms. Hanson
Ms. Hanson is currently reading it
Feb 02, 2016
Tammie Vaughn
Tammie Vaughn rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Rennie Laing
Rennie Laing rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Bruce Bacon
Bruce Bacon rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
  • Spirits of the Earth: A Guide to Native American Nature Symbols, Stories, and Ceremonies
  • Earth Quest - Earth Medicine: Revealing Hidden Treasures of the Native American Medicine Wheel - a Shamanic Way to Self-discovery
  • Earth Medicine: Ancestor's Ways of Harmony for Many Moons
  • In the Shadow of the Shaman: Connecting with Self, Nature, and Spirit
  • Coyote Medicine: Lessons from Native American Healing
  • Pagans & Christians: The Personal Spiritual Experience
  • Coming Back to Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World
  • Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas
  • 365 Days of Walking the Red Road: The Native American Path to Leading a Spiritual Life Every Day
  • Awakening to the Sacred: Creating a Personal Spiritual Life
  • Dancing with the Wheel
  • The Sacred Hoop: Recovering the Feminine in American Indian Traditions

“Guns and swords are ineffective against the complex and varied assaults of an environment thrown out of natural balance.” 2 likes