The Pulse, Vol. 2: Secret War

The Pulse, Vol. 2: Secret War (The Pulse #2)

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Jessica Jones and Luke Cage's lives have been destroyed by the events of the Secret War, so what is Jessica going to do about it? Fans of Secret War - feel The Pulse as it pounds out more gritty intrigue even as it welcomes a new artist: award-winning comics superstar Brent Anderson (Rising Stars, Astro City)! Guest-starring: Captain America, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Nick Fur...more
Published August 3rd 2005 by Marvel Comics Group

Travis
Okay, I seriously dislike Bendis, hate big crossovers and never read a single issue of Alias, why do I enjoy the Pulse so much?

Maybe, because it doesn't matter if you read Secret War or not, this story stands on it's own. The whole point is the heroes are caught up in something they don;t understand, and the story makes that work.
and despite my not being a big fan of gangsta rap Luke Cage, he and Jessica are a nice, well written couple.

My only gripes are Iron Fist was written as a bit of a dick...more
Elizabeth
See, this is a bit better than the last one. It at least feels like the Jessica Jones I know. This is partially due to the artwork, which brings back Jessica from the L'Oreal commercial she seemed to be stuck in in the last volume. It ain't no Gaydos but it's a damn sight better. Grittier, sweatier, darker, more lived in. Also it shows some of the style Alias had in breaking from the six-panel structure, even having one page with dialogue down one side, just focusing on the face, the expression,...more
Holden Attradies
I have some mixed feelings about this volume. Part of me REALLY hated that basically a third of the whole Pulse series got hijacked by a big marvel tie in I didn't know squat about. Again, in the place of the rest of this all to short lived series it doesn't fit in well narrative wise.

Yet, after putting the book down and having digested it for a few days in my mind I found I REALLY liked it. I realized eventually that even though I had never heard of "Secret War" that the story is told so well t...more
Arturo

Unlike Pulse vol.1. and Alias. This one Seems like a colossal waste of time. The least important story about a very important story (Secret War). to even read it as a small companion to it, It doesn't add anything to it. Jessica Jones being an emotional wreck, alot of drama, even from wolverine. Just adds more Confusion, more mystery, more secrets. So.. I guess that was the point. Feelin frustrated right along with the characters. I guess it did a good job at that.
Daily bugle not printing a ni...more
Doyle
This book was the first to introduce to me the concept that Brain Michael Bendis may be writing too many monthly titles at one time and that he was probably just phoning it in for some of them. The Pulse seemed to be the victim of his mediocrity during these few months. After loving Alias, I thought the first Pulse book was alright, but this one was just bad. I didn't finish the series.
Mely
So, hey, the reason there was no follow-up on Secret War for Luke Cage was that it went into a completely different book with a completely different title.

I do not understand the logic of this.

But I still liked this volume a lot better than most people seem to, and I finally feel like I'm reading about Jessica and Luke again.
Federiken Masters
Aug 11, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de Alias
Recommended to Federiken by: Que continuaba Alias
Sin llegar a arañar siquiera el nivel de Alias, estos tomos con la vida de Jessica Jones embarazada y su nuevo laburo se dejan leer con bastante gusto. Eso sí, de los tres tomos creo que este número 2 es el más flojito. Muchísimo ruido y poquititias nueces.
Callum
Mar 26, 2008 Callum rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any comic book fan!
Shelves: graphic-novels
There's a lot I could say about this book, but other than mention its special goodness I will only elaborate that it has one of the best scenes with (and most memorable quote by) the character of Wolverine that I have ever encountered.
The Book Geek
Really vague story that never explains itself. I don't know if the book prior explained this or if you had to read another book to know what was going on. Really not worth anyones time picking this up.
Brent
Ok, I never finished the Bendis miniseries Secret War... but this look at the civilian/espionage/human side of that is well done, with fine work by artists Anderson and Lark.
Recommended.
Shannon Appelcline
Good writing, but ultimately too dependent upon Secret War to be a good story in its own regard; in addition, the answer to Luke Cage's disappearance is ultimately unsatisfying.
Hillary
So the art is much worse than in volume 1, but I found the story a little more compelling, despite knowing dick about "Secret Wars." They sure sound intriguing, though.
Weak volume of the three available but still better than 99.9% of comics pretty much well ever written.
Rachael
It sucked. A lot.
Mark
Mark is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2014
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Vadim
Vadim marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014

Though he started as a writer and artist of independent noir fiction series, he shot...more
More about Brian Michael Bendis...
House of M Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl? Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 2: Learning Curve