Start by marking “Wake (Watersong #1)” as Want to Read:
Wake (Watersong #1)

Wake (The Watersong Quartet #1)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  18,504 Ratings  ·  2,140 Reviews
Fall under the spell of Wake—the first book in an achingly beautiful new series by celebrated author Amanda Hocking—and lose yourself to the Watersong.

Gorgeous. Fearless. Dangerous. They're the kind of girls you envy; the kind of girls you want to hate. Strangers in town for the summer, Penn, Lexi and Thea have caught everyone's attention—but it’s Gemma who’s attracted the
Published August 7th 2012 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Wake, please sign up.

Jade I think that although the first book set HEAPS of information for the next three books, it isn't as good as the second book, which is personally my…moreI think that although the first book set HEAPS of information for the next three books, it isn't as good as the second book, which is personally my favourite of the entire series. Still, I'd advise reading it if you can get your hands on a copy. As Sira said, it was slow at the start but really good when you actually get into the last half. (less)
Jade Not sure which fourth girl you mean. If you're talking about Arista, the one who was with them at the start of the summer, she failed the siren test.…moreNot sure which fourth girl you mean. If you're talking about Arista, the one who was with them at the start of the summer, she failed the siren test. They did the same 'initiation' they did for Gemma, but she failed. She wasn't strong enough to become a siren, so when she drowned instead of transforming they discarded her body.
If you're talking about Aggie, the previous actual siren, she died because Penn killed her. As you may find out in later books, she wanted them all to swim out into the ocean until their bodies gave up and died, saying they'd lived long enough, and Penn killed her for wanting them all to suicide.(less)
Of Poseidon by Anna BanksForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsTempest Rising by Tracy DeebsEverblue by Brenda PandosRipple by Mandy Hubbard
YA Mermaid Novels
9th out of 158 books — 762 voters
Can't Wait Books of 2012
196th out of 2,456 books — 15,862 voters

More lists with this book...

Booknut
Please Note: SPOILERS AHEAD

I used to think mermaids looked like this:

Only to realise they're actually like this:

Yep. Officially creeped out of sirens and mermaids in general.

Pretty girls that can turn into mermaids? Yep, I can deal with that.
Swimming skills enhanced? I can deal with that as well.
Breathing underwater? Go for it.
Can sing creepily and lure guys? Maybe a bit weirded out, but still doable.

Get peckish and decide to EAT HUMANS???!!!

Kadbury
Sep 26, 2012 Kadbury rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let me be blunt I'm not a huge fan of this novel.

I'm going to write a different review for this one because I feel like it ...

The Positives

Harper : I loved Harper! She's Gemma's sister and some chapters are from her point of view. She's a practical and responsible character that I could connect to easily.My main problem is the fact that she wasn't the main character! Harper had so much more spark than Gemma that I was waiting to read her point of view (POV)

Harper and Daniel's relationship: I lov
Mimi Valentine
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

I've only read two-thirds of the Trylle Trilogy so far, but that has already been enough to make me fall in love with Amanda Hocking's books! Her creatures? They're always beautifully captivating, and that's no different in this first book for her brand new Watersong series!

Right off the bat, my favourite thing about this book is the sister relationship between Gemma and Harper. As a girl with her own adoring big sis, I couldn't help but smile at the accuracy — especia
Renata
Mar 25, 2016 Renata rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No sabía que esperar de este libro ya que de sirenas yo nunca he leído algo. La cosa es que esperaba que el libro y las sirenas sean buenas como lo pintan las series y la idealización que tenemos de ellas. Pero no es así, las sirenas son malas y crueles y matan personas y son manipuladoras y me ha fascinado.

Los personajes me gustan pero creo que hay muchas partes desde el punto de vista de Harper , la hermana de la protagonista, que sobran ya que es Gemma la que debería explicar más y hacernos
Giulia (Jun)
Me before I started reading this book: Cool! Mermaids!

Me after I finished reading this book: Fuck... Mermaids.

My 3-stars reviews are usually of two kinds: either disappointed, because I was expecting something more (due to the hype or the author), or perfectly content, because I basically knew nothing about the book, didn't expect a lot and ended up enjoying it. This review is of the second kind.
I decided to buy Wake on a whim, as I often do (but, come on, it was on sale for 5 euros... And I'm
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
3 stars and an extra star for the terrifying mermaids... errr, sirens.

Some of you may have noticed that I’m not around much lately. That’s because it’s summer, I live by the sea, and I can’t resist spending every available moment at the beach, which made this the best and the worst time for me to read Wake by Amanda Hocking. On the one hand, it’s a perfect summer read, but on the other, I keep expecting an evil siren to show up and eat me while I'm swimming and generally minding my own business
Jena
Jul 31, 2012 Jena rated it really liked it
Amanda Hocking always finds a way to lure me into her completely unique stories. She has such a creative mind, and Wake is no different. She takes a creature we all know and makes them dangerous, more so than normal and I loved every bit of it.

Wake revolves around two sisters: Gemma and Harper. Gemma lives for swimming and being in the water. She's beautiful and carefree. Harper on the other hand has resumed the role of "mom" and constantly is working hard and looking out for her family. One nig
Richard Denney
May 27, 2012 Richard Denney rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-favorites

[SPOILER FREE]

"Sirens exist, Mermaids don't." - Penn "Wake".

Thanks to St. Martin's Griffin for sending me an ARC of "Wake" by Amanda Hocking! I was wary on reading another Amanda Hocking book because I really didn't like Switched, but I didn't request Wake. St. Martin's sent it because I'm on their reviewer list, so I was surprised to see it in my mailbox last week. After looking over the synopsis and reading the prologue, I decided to go on another Hocking adventure and this adventure I truly e
Andrea
Apr 22, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
3.5 out of 5 rating

I am always fascinated by mermaid stories (I just know its because of my love for The Little Mermaid) and that flows over into a love of siren stories as well.

I really liked the characters in this story. Harper was the older sister with the tough outer shell. She's had to step up to become the mother-like figure, protective and worrying, and can't let anyone see the softer side of her. Gemma is the typical younger sister--more relaxed and free except with her hobby of swimmin
Brie
Sigh.

I don't know where to start or what to say about it all without giving away spoilers.

Don't get me wrong, if you have half a brain you can figure out what it's about. And I liked the general story idea, I really really did, but the execution of the idea left me angry and going, "WHAT THE FUCK?!?!"

I can say that this is another one of those stories where the heroine is dinosaur-shit deep in a massive life-threatening murderous mess and what does she do? What does this brain-trust do?

I can't
Drew Tuá
So much better than I thought, I thought It will be more like a fairy tale with cute mermaids, love and cheesy stuff, but it has murder and some cool stuff, it was pretty cool! I really like Harper :)
shady
This review is also available over at my blog.

____________________

Actual rating is 3.5 stars.

So this book is round three of my Mermaid Marathon (even though this is a book about sirens, but still). Starting it, I expected the worst, after seeing quite a few negative reviews for it. And also because Hocking's other novel that i read, Switched, was painfully bad. I had low hopes for this book, but I read it anyway because I do like siren YA books. Imagine my surprise when I actually ended up enjoy
Sleepless Bookworm
Nov 09, 2014 Sleepless Bookworm rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
So, so stupid, I can't believe I managed to get through the whole thing. Mind you, I did skip past some paragraphs of Harper's POV. She was so annoying it was making my brain bleed.

I thought the premise of the story sounded interesting, but the writing was just horrible. I'm really disappointed, I really like Amanda Hocking's "The Hollows" series.

Oh well.
I'm going to delete Wake from my e-reader and hopefully never think about it again.
Terri
Apr 16, 2013 Terri rated it did not like it
If I could have abandoned this book, I would have. I have talked all year in booktalks to my students about the current popularity of mermaids and the like in young adult books. It is not my trend of choice, but the students in my Book Club decided that we would try a mermaid book so I struggled through our book of choice, Amanda Hocking's "Wake." Though the concept had potential, the story was banal, poorly written to the point of being laughable, predictable, and yada yada yada.

Let's start wit
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
Gemma is a very beautiful girl & loves the sea. It gives her freedom, and she feels safe there. Gemma then starts falling in love with the boy next door, Alex, who was always the best friend, but this summer, they have decided to take their relationship to the next level. Harper, her sister, has a caring bone inside her, and has looked after Gemma ever since their Mum had a terrible accident. Three strange girls have arrived in town. They are fearless, gorgeous and enticing, and although the ...more
Abigail the Fangirl
Ehhhhhhhhh.... I have heard great things about this book but it was not my cup of tea. I felt like the characters weren't well written and neither was the storyline. It felt rushed and didn't provide enough detail. I might continue with the series, but I am not sure. I just wasn't immersed in this book.
Mandy Booknerd
Apr 30, 2015 Mandy Booknerd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Bei dem Buch bekommt man einfach solche Lust mal wieder ins Meer zu springen oder am Strand zu liegen. Ausserdem mochte ich es viel lieber als Meeresflüstern, mit dem ich es jetzt mal vergleiche, da das einzige Meerjungfrauen Buch ist, das ich sonst noch gelesen habe.
Hier geht es relativ schnell zur Sache und die Geschichte verliert auch nicht an Action. Ausserdem liebe ich Amanda Hockings Schreibstil. Es lässt sich so gut lesen ohne dass man dabei das Gefühl hat ein 08/15 Buch in der Hand zu ha
Kristi-The Book Faery
Wake by Amanda Hocking was no surprise, I got exactly what I expected: pure imaginative brilliance! I’ve followed Amanda since the early days when ‘My Blood Approves’ series was full of grammatical errors and you know what? I didn’t care! The story line was just that good that I bought one after another on my Kindle and wanted to cry when the series was over. Then Hollowland came along and The Trylle Trilogy and a few others and things just kept getting better and better.

Amanda is a natural bor
Lore Troncoso
Jun 27, 2015 Lore Troncoso rated it liked it
Este libro es muy introductorio pero tambien es bastante bueno.
Me encantó como Amanda Hocking ahora le da maldad a sus criaturas paranormales, cosa que no había pasado en libros anteriores que yo había leído de ella.
Es muy ligero para leer, su ritmo es rápido y nada aburrido. Al ser el primer libro de una saga no conocemos mucho a las sirenas pero conocemos a los humanos principales. Mi personajes favorito fue Daniel, su forma de ser y la idea de vivir en un yate me parece encantadora. Gemma es
Élefill
Dec 29, 2012 Élefill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: editorial
Gemma vive en el pueblo costero de Capri, junto con su padre Brian y su hermana mayor Harper. Sus días transcurren tranquilos y mas ahora que es verano, por las mañanas va a la piscina a entrenarse y a la caída del so,l baja hasta la bahía a darse un baño nocturno. Le encanta el agua y nadar. Su meta es poder ir algún día a las olimpiadas y parece que cada vez esta mas cerca de conseguirlo.

Además este verano hay cosas que han cambiado, Gemma por fin tiene coche, aunque sea una chatarra, y ha emp
Ceitidh
Aug 01, 2012 Ceitidh rated it did not like it
Well. I couldn't finish this book. And the fact that I couldnt finish it doesn't mean that there's nothing to look forward to it. So keep in mind that my opinion is based only on the first 139 pages of the advance reader's copy of this book.

I like Amanda Hockings' writing, but this book really didn't do it for me.

I got until page 139 of 309 (from arc) and I am still waiting for the story to take off. Only after 120 pages something finally happened, but the problem was that "that something" wasn'
Whitley Birks
Aug 05, 2013 Whitley Birks rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
See this review and more on Whiley Reads

Ah, what can you say about Wake? I’m not really sure. The best I can come up with is to damn it with faint praise. It was very…booky. It left little impression on me, although it was an easy enough, quick read. The whole thing was extremely straightforward and lacked any sort of plot or passion.

The first half of the book was romance. Just straight-up romance. To be fair, it was pretty cute romance. But there was no drama to it. It was the sort of romance t
Nicole
Dec 28, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
I read this book in about a day, while (ironically) in my pool. I've noticed a recent increase in mermaid books, but what I loved about Wake was that it wasn't necessarily about mermaids, but rather about sirens, which a lot of the books seem to be more about. This book doesn't even disguise how awful the sirens are either.

What I love most about taking a pre-existing myth or idea is that there are so many ways to twist it into your own. The sirens in Wake are different from the mermaids in Lies
Jessica (priceiswong)
Overall, I liked this book. This book was just what I was in the mood for.
It started out as a lighthearted book about a young girl named Gemma, who loves the water. Everyday she finds herself in it whether she is at swim practice trying to beat her best time, or swimming in the bay. I love the mystery in this book surrounding the strange trio of girls Penn, Lexi, and Thea. The romance was also kind of cute. Mainly because I liked the love interest, Alex, who was this nerdy guy a couple of years
Celeste Larson
Feb 17, 2012 Celeste Larson rated it it was amazing
I got an advance copy of Wake on Wednesday, and I read it in a day. I just love the way Amanda Hocking builds her characters. She has a way of making you care about each of them. she doesn't write 2 dimensional characters. Even the ones who barely make an appearance in the story, you feel like you know them. And she has a way of writing budding romances that makes me hold my breath and really root for that first kiss.

The only downside to getting the book before the August release date... how mu
Leahxx
Mar 19, 2014 Leahxx rated it liked it
I didn't like this as much as I thought I would. It was good, but I don't know. The characters just didn't really click with me.
Athina
Dec 14, 2014 Athina rated it it was ok
A book about mermaids, sirens and beautiful and compelling characters is always an intrigued one. When I read the synopsis, I knew one or two things would be kind of standard. The song, the blood-sucking and the bossy attitude around people.

The truth is that I was very curious to see if the author would have some surprises for us. Something to make the book stick to our heads and maybe even gasp. And I did gasp, but for the wrong reasons.

But let me rewind a little.

I enjoyed reading the book beca
Tessa
Ok, I totally love siren stories. Donno why, but the idea of breathing underwater just fascinates me so much, it's right there up on my favorite superpowers next to flying and being able to finish "1000+ pages books".

What I really liked about this book was the premise. You have sirens, pretty girls, pretty boys, a murder mystery, a curse. What could go wrong? Well, it did, but not everything.
First, the mystery was not much of a mystery, you can pretty much figure out the sirens did it and it's n
May 25, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Gemma loves the water and takes a nightly swim in the ocean. Only problem is three other girls have noticed her beauty and love of the water. Three girls that used to be a group of four... Three girls that are very creepy and seem to be stalking Gemma. Gemma's sister, Harper, doesn't want Gemma anywhere near them. Harper is a very protective older sister and takes care of Gemma, ever since their mom got in a horrible car accident and is now living in a care home. Gemma is a dedicated swimmer pla ...more
Heidi
Jul 24, 2012 Heidi rated it liked it
“Three and a half Stars: A dark spin on an old mythological creature.

Gemma floats in the calm sea, gazing at the blanket of stars above her head. She is at home in the water and loves to swim in the bay at night more than anything. At sixteen, Gemma is an exceptional swimmer with high hopes for her swimming career. A light flashes from the shore. Gemma looks over to see the three strange and beautiful girls who recently came to town dancing in the flickering shadows of a fire. Where did they com
YA Buddy Readers'...: Wake (Watersong #1) By Amanda Hocking - Restarting July 10th 2016 36 112 Jul 15, 2016 06:12PM
We ♥ YA Books! : Wake (Watersong #1) 3 14 May 12, 2015 05:13AM
Never Too Old For...: March BOTM (Your Choice): Wake 9 58 Mar 12, 2015 05:36PM
YA Writers and Re...: * Wake by Amanda Hocking 3 10 Jun 03, 2014 05:42AM
David Estes Fans ...: Wake by Amanda Hocking - Buddy Read! 3 15 Oct 22, 2013 06:42AM
♥!The Young Adult...: Wake 12 87 Oct 15, 2013 09:40AM
Making Connections: Giveaway! 1 8 Oct 10, 2012 09:56PM
  • Just for Fins (Fins, #3)
  • Tempest Unleashed (Tempest, #2)
  • Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath, #1)
  • Waking Storms (Lost Voices, #2)
  • Fathomless (Fairytale Retellings, #3)
  • The Vicious Deep (The Vicious Deep #1)
  • Breathless
  • Siren's Storm (Siren's Storm, #1)
  • Everblue (Mer Tales, #1)
  • The Mermaid's Mirror
  • Tangled Tides (The Sea Monster Memoirs, #1)
  • ReVamped (Angel Creek, #1)
  • Dark Water (Siren, #3)
  • Lure (Siren's Call, #1)
  • Lucy (Daughters of the Sea, #3)
  • Wrecked
  • Monstrous Beauty
  • Promises (Syrenka, #1)
Amanda Hocking is a lifelong Minnesotan obsessed with Batman and Jim Henson. In between watching cooking shows, taking care of her menagerie of pets, and drinking too much Red Bull Zero, she writes young adult urban fantasy and paranormal romance.

Several of her books have made the New York Times Bestsellers list, including the Trylle trilogy and Kanin Chronicles. Herzombie series, The Hollows, has
More about Amanda Hocking...

The Watersong Quartet (4 books)
  • Lullaby (Watersong, #2)
  • Tidal (Watersong, #3)
  • Elegy (Watersong, #4)

“You really do hate me, don't you? I mean, destroying someone's ice-cream cone? That's vicious."
Her cheeks reddened. "I didn't see you there. Honestly." She wiped at his shirt more frantically, as if she could prevent it from staining if she rubbed hard enough.
"Oh, now I see your plan, and it's far more devious than I thought." Daniel smirked. "You were looking for an excuse to grope me.”
35 likes
“I could win you a goldfish."

"I don't think that's be fair to the goldfish," Gemma said. "I've had about a dozen of them, and they all seem to die within days of me getting them."

"Oh, yeah." Alex smiled crookedly. "I remember you making your dad bury them out in the backyard."

"They were my pets, and they deserved a proper burial."

"I better be careful around you." Alex stepped back from her cautiously, giving her a wide berth. "You're a goldfish mass murderer. I don't know what you're capable of."

"Stop!" Gemma laughed. "I didn't kill them on purpose! I was little. I think I overfed them. Out of love, though."

"That's even scarier," he teased. "Do you plan to kill me with kindness?"

"Maybe." She narrowed her eyes at him and tried to look menacing, making him laugh.”
33 likes