Start by marking “Fortune & Glory: A True Hollywood Comic Book Story” as Want to Read:
Fortune & Glory: A True Hollywood Comic Book Story

Fortune & Glory: A True Hollywood Comic Book Story

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  535 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY gave him an A, Hollywood insiders fell all over themselves to praise him, and fans everywhere gave him a full thumbs-up for hilarity. Now, on the heels of his praise and punishment, Brian Michael Bendis puts his sold-out miniseries, FORTUNE & GLORY, into one hefty volume. Marvel once again at the stupidity of Hollywood producers, the vanity of star ...more
Published September 3rd 2000 by Oni Press (first published July 14th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fortune & Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortune & Glory

Nicolo Yu
Jul 04, 2014 Nicolo Yu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I am really impressed with this book. This is a side of Brian Bendis that one rarely see this days. Aside from the fact that he rarely draws now and instead focuses on his writing; his work is mostly Marvel now. We probably won't see Bendis' indie side anytime soon. I know he can draw and it's mostly of a noirish bent (Goldfish), but I've never seen any of his cartoony artwork until I read Fortune and Glory.

It is also a funny book, and though Bendis' Spider-Man can crack wise, Spidey got nothing
Tfitoby
Brian Michael Bendis, graphic novelist extraordinaire, makes with the funny as he tells the tale of his initiation in to the Hollywood life after making a splash with his early indie comic work. It's funny and self deprecating and heavy on the mocking of Hollywood executives but there's nothing here that anyone who has read almost anything honest about Hollywood before hasn't already heard. And the drawings are really cartoony, not at all like the gritty black & white stuff what he became fa ...more
Daniel A.
Fortune and Glory: A True Hollywood Comic Book Story, comics auteur Brian Michael Bendis' considerably funny graphic memoir of his first foray into the wacky world of the entertainment industry, was a nice, quick read that offered a unique perspective on What It's Like to attempt to "break in" to Hollywood. Peppered with example after example of "you-can't-make-this-up" moments, as well as Bendis' trademark sense of humor, Fortune and Glory was fun, and more than a little enlightening.

I've said
Oct 01, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I had no idea this would be so compelling. I've always been a fan of Brian Michael Bendis' mainstream comics work, but I've never really investigated his creator-owned properties, and I only picked up this book -- his tale of his experiences trying to get his indie comics made into films -- on a lark. But I just sat down and read it in one sitting, staying up far later than I intended, so that should tell you something about how good it is.

The cartooning here is great, expressive and creative an
Paul
Jan 02, 2011 Paul rated it it was amazing
After getting back from Los Angeles, the first thing I did was pull out and reread this favorite, a hilarious take on L.A. and the movie business.

Brian Michael Bendis is an indie cartoonist in Cleveland who finds that a simple article in Spin Magazine sends studios to his door wanting to sign him up, not really to make a movie, but just to make sure that no other studio can do so. Bendis slowly wades into the Hollywood development morass, meeting with countless slick producers and executives, al
Mark
Jul 31, 2010 Mark rated it liked it
What a wonderful and slightly depressingly funny book. I know that it's a contradictory statement, but that is the nature of the comic.

Mr Bendis has captured the humorous aspects of his venture into Hollywood in such a fashion that you empathize with his predicament where executives are in the business of optioning movies, but not making movies. This is presented in a very funny light, but whe you think about it, is quite depressing.

The art is clean, simplistic and perfectly suited to the nature
Alex Sarll
Back when Brian Michael Bendis was still doing indie crime comics, one of them got some Hollywood interest. The thing about Hollywood interest is, well...it's Hollywood, the land of sunshine and bullshit. And Bendis, back before he wrote erratic superhero comics, turns out to have been a bloody good autobiographical cartoonist, with just the right eye for detail and art style for absurdity to make this sort of insider satire fly.
Addison
Sep 03, 2012 Addison rated it liked it
Very fun and funny read. It was more or less exactly what I expected. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

His cartooning isn't amazing, and he re-uses artwork over and over, but you can tell he's more of a writer than artist, and the effort and care put into Fortune and Glory is apparent regardless.

Definitely suggested if one wants a nice change of pace from mainstream comic books. hell, it's a nice change of pace from most other indie auto-bio comics as well.

Bendis has absolutely blown
S J
Apr 19, 2014 S J rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, library
Mostly interesting because I have an interest in the movie industry, but there's really not much there there. The story is an (entertaining enough) series of anecdotes. But that's all I was expecting.
Dean Simons
Mar 21, 2015 Dean Simons rated it really liked it
hilarious. well executed. a seamless selection of vignettes from Bendis' first foray into Hollywood. Could have use more substance but it was an extremely entertaining read.
Fizzgig76
Jan 14, 2009 Fizzgig76 rated it really liked it
Brian Michael Bendis chronicles his attempts in Hollywood to have his graphic novel Goldfish turned into a movie and in the process exposes the often bizarre process which follows. This is an interesting book on two fronts. The first front is that it is an amusing story. Bendis' view of some of these Hollywood-type characters is nice (kind of like watching The Player from an outsider's perspective). The second front would be the entire process of how a book becomes a movie. Many people believe t ...more
Doyle
Oct 21, 2015 Doyle rated it really liked it
As with most of Bendis's early works (that he both writes and draws) the only detractor is the artwork.
Will
Oct 24, 2010 Will rated it really liked it
A feel good, thrill a minute ride that will leave you breathless and wanting more!

Or an idea of what Hollywood is like, and how it tries to sort out good ideas from bad ones. It's funny.

The interesting thing is that Bendis is a damn good writer who has gone on to do some really amazing work since, and you could argue that Spiderman wouldn't have happened without Bendis's Ultimate Spiderman work. So in a way, he has made a big budget movie, and comic book movies are now "credible" in a way that t
Rhys
Jan 09, 2011 Rhys rated it it was ok
Even to someone who loves films, writing and is going to Hollwood next week, I found this whole thing quite self-indulgent and boring. It is a very realistic take, I'm sure, on the whole movie-making business but... it's just not that entertaining. I really wanted to like this book, and I did find some aspects interesting, but I just found it hard to care about the story, which is quite a crucial aspect, obviously.

Bendis has done so much better than this and I found this very disappointing. I li
Jack Gattanella
Jul 25, 2014 Jack Gattanella rated it it was amazing
its funny cause its true, and horrifying. Its a book I read in one sitting and was massively entertained by while appreciating the crazy oddball artwork... and feeling almost mixed at how it categorically defies anyone to be a screenwriter, unless they're just so headstrong as to disregard all other advice. it also helps that Bendis is a comics guy, so he gets the scoop as a sort of outsider. its sobering. harrowing. fucking funny as shit
Rocco Versaci
This graphic novel relates the hilarious and horrifying (but in a funny way) escapades that Bendis had in Hollywood trying to get a movie version of his comic book Goldfish off the ground. The part where a studio exec refuses to believe that Eliot Ness was a real person is just one example of Bendis's ironic and engaging take on the movie industry.
David
Jul 16, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
Just upgraded to the full-color deluxe anniversary edition. Totally worth it. The comic is as good as always, and the bonus conger is fascinating. (Did you know that Bendis spent five days as a writer on Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark?) I don't often advocate for upgrading to new editions, but in this case you won't be sorry.
Todd
Apr 09, 2009 Todd rated it really liked it
Great book for aspiring writers/directors/producers. A graphic novel about the trials and tribulations of a screenwriter's first time in the Hollywood machine. For a book about trying to make movies, this one plays amazingly well in graphic novel format (and should NEVER be adapted into a film...).
Desiree Kern
Jul 07, 2009 Desiree Kern rated it liked it
Interesting how so many things parallel. Bendis' account of the Hollywood "Hurry up and wait" approach to just about everything also applies to the world of art, the military, and I think just about every other group or event on the planet.
Kara
Dec 04, 2009 Kara rated it it was ok
Nothing happens in this book, and the congratulatory blurbs on the back cover all come from other comic-book guys who have made it in Hollywood. The nature of the story dictates that the author tell, not show, although it's a comic, sort of.
Mike
Nov 18, 2007 Mike rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like the fine line between fiction and reality
For anyone who is intrigued by the storymaking process, or how books become movies, this is a great read. Bendis is certainly a great writer of comic books, but he also makes a great escort into the sordid world of how things happen in Tinseltown.
John DiPietro
Oct 25, 2012 John DiPietro rated it it was amazing
Although an unusual tale, Bendis' autobiographical story of his attempt to adapt one of his earliest works is thoroughly entertaining and extremely comical. Fans of his writings should check it out, even if they're mostly just superhero geeks.
Tim
Aug 07, 2007 Tim rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: film and humor fans
Shelves: comicshelf
This is such a hilarious look at breaking into the film industry, clearly written by someone not afraid to burn bridges. Too bad now that he's been re-exposed to Hollywood the inevitable sequel will completely whitewashed.
Bryan
Apr 10, 2007 Bryan rated it liked it
Bendis can tell a tale well. Fun enjoyable read of material already covered by a bunch of other books and movies. First of his books I've read. Well paced and laid out. Adding more of his to the library queue.
Amal El-Mohtar
Jul 19, 2013 Amal El-Mohtar rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Because of this book I am now incapable of watching a film trailer without imagining the rigmarole the creative team went through pitching it to all and sundry. Frequently hilarious and super well done.
Michael
Oct 12, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Having recently made my own movie to the city where dreams are made, this is more of a depressing guide for how to live your life. It's pretty great.
tony
Oct 05, 2010 tony rated it really liked it
everything I read by Bendis is usually super hero related. Or at least not autobiographical. A fun story about a comic book guy in Hollywood.
Devon
Oct 01, 2007 Devon rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, september07
Alias was way better. Although I this book did make me like Brian Michael Bendis - I'd want to get a beer with him.
Alex
Oct 20, 2012 Alex rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! found out about bendis a while back and think that this is his best work
Brent Simons
Dec 11, 2007 Brent Simons rated it really liked it
One of the funniest books about the movie business ever written. Go read now!
  • Whiteout
  • 12 Reasons Why I Love Her
  • Nat Turner
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 12: Grasscutter (Usagi Yojimbo, #12)
  • The Big Book of Barry Ween, Boy Genius
  • Channel Zero
  • Rick's Story (Cerebus, #12)
  • Strangers In Paradise, Pocket Book 5
  • Blue Monday Volume 2: Absolute Beginners
  • Concrete, Volume 1: Depths
  • Casanova, Vol. 2: Gula
  • A Matter of Life
  • Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller, Vol. 2
  • The Groo Adventurer (Groo the Wanderer, #1-4)
  • The Escapists
  • Too Cool to Be Forgotten

More about Brian Michael Bendis...