Start by marking “W.B. Yeats, A Life: The Apprentice Mage, 1865-1914” as Want to Read:
W.B. Yeats, A Life: The Apprentice Mage, 1865-1914

W.B. Yeats, A Life: The Apprentice Mage, 1865-1914 (W.B. Yeats, A Life #1)

William Butler Yeats has cast his long shadow over the history of both modern poetry and modern Ireland for so long that his preeminence is taken for granted. Now, in the first authorized biography of Yeats to appear in over fifty years, leading Irish historian R.F. Foster travels beyond Yeats's towering image as arguably the century's greatest poet to restore a real sense ...more
Published December 17th 1998 by Oxford University Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about W.B. Yeats, A Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about W.B. Yeats, A Life

Katharine Kerr
A carefully written, fundamentally interesting study bogged down in way too much detail about feuds with people who have, historically speaking, turned out to be insignificant. Yeats, like too many writers, made enemies as easily as he made friends. The Abbey Theater years, in particular, seemed to bring out the worst in him and the other people involved.

Redeeming features: a decent treatment of Lady Augusta Gregory that gives her full credit for her accomplishments without the usual male schola
Jack
The first volume of Irish historian Roy Foster's two-volume biography of the great poet William Butler Yeats covers the poet's life from birth to the outbreak of World War I. The subtitle 'The Apprentice Mage' refers to Yeats's obsession with magic and the occult, and his efforts to write poetry that could, like a magic spell, alter physical reality by tapping into a spiritual substratum of consciousness and destiny. This book is a history of Yeats's life more than a critique of his poetry and s ...more
Philip Lane
Although this book was quite an eye-opener as I previously knew little about Yeats I did find it a little bit of an overload. There seemed to be an enormous amount of detail, all referenced and catalogued, and it felt like a lot of repetition as he revised and re-revised his own work. I felt that I was missing the forest because of the wood. This means this is probably a wonderful source for those who are Studying Yeats and know much of the background. A bit of a struggle for me but what impress ...more
Ali Miremadi
May 30, 2016 Ali Miremadi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was prompted to read this after seeing Foster interviewed by Bob Geldof in his terrific BBC programme about Yeats. It is authoritative and rewarding. As so often though it reminds me that it is that art more than the artist which merits attention.
Patricia
I have abandoned this book because I have lost my copy. If I find it I will take it up again. It was difficult but I was going to read it and I am disappointed that this is not going to happen. I only had vol 1 of a two vol work.
Jun 16, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grown-up-books
Presumes a solid knowledge of Irish history. This is an historian's take on Yeats, rather than that of a literary critic. Follows the thread of Yeats' life rather than coming at it through the poems.
Katy Walters
May 12, 2011 Katy Walters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is scintillating. A mine of information on a much loved poet and author. It is packed full of history, as well as being an absorbing autobiography.
Scott Lee
Feb 15, 2015 Scott Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stupendous first volume of Foster's excellent biography of W.B. Yeats.
Richard Epstein
Volume 1 of Foster's thick biography is thorough. Boy, is it thorough. Reading it is like running in sand. Uphill.
Tim Hodkinson
Tim Hodkinson rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2014
Gillian
Gillian rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2012
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2008
Jamie Donnici
Jamie Donnici rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2014
Willie Ha
Willie Ha rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2008
Scott Lee
Scott Lee rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2010
Randal
Randal rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Chet Williamson
Chet Williamson rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Eoin Cunningham
Eoin Cunningham rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Andrew Ross
Andrew Ross rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Gregg Brown
Gregg Brown rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2012
Daniel Wright
Daniel Wright rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2009
Geoffrey Cobb
Geoffrey Cobb rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2009
Terry Gallagher
Terry Gallagher rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2012
Kara
Kara rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2008
C.W. Reynolds
C.W. Reynolds rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2012
bloudwedd
bloudwedd rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Liam Guilar
Liam Guilar rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2013
K
K rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Mj
Mj rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2012
John Robinson
John Robinson rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Robert Fitzroy Foster, PhD, FBA, FRHistS, FRSL.
More about R.F. Foster...

W.B. Yeats, A Life (3 books)
  • W.B. Yeats, A Life: The Arch-Poet, 1915-1939