Start by marking “Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness” as Want to Read:
Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness

Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  680 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Every year, healthcare costs increase while overall health decreases. This book offers insights into your relationship with food, nutritional theories, and holistic approaches to maximizing health.
Hardcover
Published October 1st 2007 by Integrative Nutrition Publishing (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Integrative Nutrition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Integrative Nutrition

Paleo from A to Z by Darryl EdwardsMEDICAL INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX by James MorcanPaleo Fitness by Darryl EdwardsVB6 by Mark BittmanThe pH Miracle by Robert O. Young
My Healthy Options
12th out of 129 books — 25 voters
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussThe Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoGetting Things Done by David Allen
Motivational and Self-Improvement Books
191st out of 1,037 books — 1,339 voters

More lists with this book...

seema patel
Mar 22, 2011 seema patel rated it liked it
A noble effort, but in many ways just a "bound" version of an advertisement for the author's Integrative Nutrition institute in New York. I appreciate good advice in a book--that's why I buy the book; I don't appreciate the blatant attempt to sell yet another product besides the book. That's what newspapers & billboards are for. That said, three stars for the helpful advice to pay attention to one's cravings to observe from where in your body they actually stem; and another handful of small ...more
Anna
Jan 11, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing
This book has life-changing potential for anyone who is thinking about the food they eat and how this basic elemental drive shapes us. The key to it all: bio-individuality. If you can accept that concept as an incontrovertible fact, they you're on your way to a life of balance, health and peace. LOVE this book.Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness
Daniel
Mar 03, 2012 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Institute Integrative Nutrition rocks - They're actually now giving away this book as a free download to kindle, ipad or just as a pdf to your computer. Visit http://bit.ly/FreeNutritionEbook to download it off their website.

My friend went through IIN's health coaching training program and said it changed her life and that this book was a big part of it. I was impressed when she sent me this link to download it for free and have been really enjoying it. It's cool that instead of just telling you
Brian Johnson
Oct 07, 2015 Brian Johnson rated it it was amazing
“The more I observed human behavior, the more convinced I became that the key to health is understanding each person’s individual needs, rather than following a set of predetermined rules. I saw plenty of evidence that having happy relationships, a fulfilling career, an exercise routine and a spiritual practice are even more important to health than a daily diet.”

~ Joshua Rosenthal from Integrative Nutrition

Imagine a book that gives us an overview of the politics surrounding the food industry,
Kerry
Jan 02, 2014 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
I have read a lot of holistic nutrition books over the past two years and this is hands down one of the best. In fact, I'd say this one and Kris Carr's books are musts for anyone who wants to get healthy. I loved the accessible writing style, clear and well-researched explanations and personal anecdotes that put everything into context. The exercises and discussions of primary food were also highlights for me. I am so glad this is the first book I finished in 2014!
Ruthie
Mar 12, 2009 Ruthie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, self-help
If you want to improve your eating habits, this is the book for you. He nicely goes over each fad diet that America loves and states his problem with each one. All the while he offers suggestions on how to eat healthy foods and suggests that not any one way of eating is right for everyone. The main point of Integrative Nutrition is that food is only part of your nutrition, the rest is your surroundings and life. That seems obvious, but somehow many of us forget about it.
Chris
Nov 02, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing

Its very refreshing to finally read a nutrition book that integrates all the most popular diets and combines it with some philosophy to effectively communicate the fact that we are all different so each diet would most certainly affect us individually in different ways. Great read.
Angie
Oct 26, 2012 Angie rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle-clubbers
Rosenthal's concrete tips on diet boiled down to common sense. And the rest of his philosophy was not grounded in science.

But when he asserted that people start to look and behave like the animals they eat... he lost all credibility.

Don't waste your time.
Evan Cook
Sep 11, 2014 Evan Cook rated it really liked it
Great book overall. I'm a graduate from The Institute for Integrative Nutrition so I'm certainly a little biased towards the principles taught in this book. Really I think the key takeaway from this book that your health is a reflection of so much more than what you eat. It's more about ALL of the inputs in your life or your overall lifestyle. Health is not a separate concept. It's a mindset, a way of living, that you integrate into your own life.

I'd recommend this book for anyone who is lost in
Michelle
Aug 13, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
This was a great reminder that healthiness is more than just eating well and mindfully, but also includes spirituality, relationships, etc.
Margarita Ventura
Apr 13, 2011 Margarita Ventura is currently reading it
So far so good...
Andrea James
This seems like a very well-balanced and sensible approach to nutrition. I suppose it is speaking mainly to an audience for whom money is not a serious constraint as organic food is heavily recommended. I didn't realise that the book was promotional material for the school so it was quite peculiar to have testimonials of previous course attendees regularly featured as one-page "ads".

But I liked that the author wasn't fanatical about any one system and came across quite level-headed in this resp
Anne
Jul 10, 2008 Anne rated it really liked it
I can only give this four stars, because it is, after all, a diet book. I think Mr. Rosenthal would take exception to that, but that's what it is. Okay, maybe it's a "Lifestyle" book, but still.

His discussion of "primary food" (how our relationships, career, spirituality feed us) v. "secondary food" (the stuff you actually put in your mouth) is pretty interesting. However, much of the book reads like a big commercial for his elitist New Yorkese institute for integrative nutrition. I'm probably j
Christine
Apr 13, 2015 Christine rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! This is the textbook for my Health Coaching course. If you want to know why one diet doesn't fit everyone; if you want to know what post modern nutrition is; if you want to know the truth about big business, diet books and how government and society sabotage your good health, this is a must read.
Sarah Gogarty
Feb 08, 2015 Sarah Gogarty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing holistic view on nutrition

Easy read. Author comes across as unique and un-biased as he discusses several viewpoints on nutrition from eating for blood type to ancient Indian practice, highlighting the benefits of many different diet plans.
Erinina Marie
May 31, 2007 Erinina Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Integrative Nutrition by Joshua Rosenthal

This book is a wonderful read for anyone who is interested in improving how they treat their body. It breaks down the basic 'diets' out there and how each can be effective and/or damaging. But, it does not advocate any of them, nor deny any of their viability completely. The book is designed to help people begin to understand and listen to the messages their own body is telling them. While the author takes extraordinary leaps at times, without any scienti
Elisabeth
Mar 23, 2011 Elisabeth rated it liked it
This book provides a pretty basic overview of holistic health and nutrition concepts. For someone who is already even somewhat familiar with these ideas, the majority of the book will seem repetitive. The writing quality is slightly subpar - some simple sentence structure errors and such - that I find quite distracting and frustrating when reading a published book of any kind. I gave it three stars because the ideas inspiring the book are good ones (there is no one diet that is right for everyon ...more
Susan
Sep 09, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IIN

Loved the book , very informative covered a lot of the curriculum .
Would highly recommend to anyone who wants to become a health coach.
Rebecca
Jan 10, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: meditation-etc
I enjoyed Rosenthal's more holistic take on nutrition. The author's descriptions of primary foods (relationships, career, etc) vs secondary foods (what we actually eat) rang true and his acceptance of the positive aspects of many different nutritional theories was refreshing. This is a no guilt approach to nutrition with emphasis on listening to your body and being willing to experiment for yourself. The recipes weren't particularly useful, and I wasn't into the "case studies" (felt too much lik ...more
Debra Brunk
May 21, 2013 Debra Brunk rated it liked it
Shelves: recipes
As other reviewers have noted, there is nothing new here; however, it's a good overview of the current state of nutrition/diet all in one place. I hada two issues with the book. First, although the author mentions multiple times that everyone's body is different and diets must differ, the examples he provides of his life come across as the 'right' way to go. Second, the book is an advertisement for the author's school, IIN. I appreciate that I received the book free of charge from IIN, but I thi ...more
Katie
Mar 21, 2014 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this to start at IIN!
Summer Bock, Holistic Nutrition & Herbs
This book came to me during one of my final papers I was writing for my bachelor's degree. I was writing about the path to healing and how to shift the mindset to adding good things in and letting them crowd out the unneeded junk without even trying. This book expertly articulated everything I had been trying to say for months. Less than a year later, I was at this man's school in NYC acquiring my certification in Holistic Health Counseling. I recommend this book to everyone. It changed my life.
Tamara Tamburro
Apr 01, 2012 Tamara Tamburro rated it really liked it
I'm off and running, started the holistic health counseling program last week. The book is a great reference for holistic nutrition. I love the idea of learning about all the different nutritional approaches to health and being encouraged to find out what works best for me. One type of diet may not work for everyone, we are all unique. It's a great launching board for the program or for anyone wanting to find out more about the vastly under appreciated world of whole foods and well being.
Heather
May 10, 2007 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book last spring to critique IIN and see if it was a school I could get on board with - I wasn't expecting to be blown away by the theories and ideas in this book. The thing is, nothing is mind-blowing about the theories, and some are just, plain common sense. But it takes a bit of a paradigm shift to see health as a holistic issue. Joshua does a good job breaking it down and ushering the reader into this new way of thinking.
Gisela Claveria
Dec 07, 2009 Gisela Claveria rated it really liked it
I am on a recent health kick and, though I bought this book over the summer, finally decided to read it this Fall. It was a really good intro to healthy eating and even though it is full of common sense habits we should all have, the book somehow puts it all into perspective. My husband is reading it now, and I am waiting for him to finish it so I can read it again more carefully. Also has a few healthy recipes in the back.
Kate  Maxwell
I thought that this was well-written. While it doesn't contain earth shattering news, it is a very nice synthesis of good common sense tips for anyone who wants to be well. One very nice thing about this book is that it is not an advertisement for the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, even though it is written by its founder.
Megan Lyons
Feb 06, 2015 Megan Lyons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic introduction to nutrition and how your health is a product of so many areas of your life. By the founder of my first nutrition school.
Briana Murphy
If you know anything about nutrition this is largely common sense. If you don't, this is not a good primary resource because it is half fact and half hyperbole and all agenda, and it's hard to differentiate between everything unless you're ultra-critical of sources and perpetually reading between the lines.
Studio
Aug 10, 2014 Studio rated it it was amazing
No, we definitely do not live by bread alone - some of us might do well letting the basket pass us by entirely. Nourish your entire being with so much more than just the meals you enjoy, and take smart decisions based on your own bio-individuality. Thank you so much Joshua!
Adrienne R.
May 30, 2008 Adrienne R. rated it it was amazing
I love Joshua's wisdom about food. I graduated from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and a lot of what I learned was based on information from this book. It's a wonderful resource for me as I teach and make others aware of nutrition as a foundation of life :)
  • The 3-Season Diet: Eat the Way Nature Intended: Lose Weight, Beat Food Cravings, and Get Fit
  • Nourishing Wisdom: A Mind-Body Approach to Nutrition and Well-Being
  • Food and Healing
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
  • Living in Conscious Harmony: A Spiritual Guide to Being in the Now
  • Staying Healthy with the Seasons: 21st-Century Edition
  • Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
  • Get the Sugar Out: 501 Simple Ways to Cut the Sugar Out of Any Diet
  • Health and Nutrition Secrets That Can Save Your Life
  • Sugar Shock!: How Sweets and Simple Carbs Can Derail Your Life-- and How YouCan Get Back on Tr ack
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • The Spectrum: A Scientifically Proven Program to Feel Better, Live Longer, Lose Weight, and Gain Health
  • Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition
  • Eating Well for Optimum Health
  • Power Foods for the Brain: An Effective 3-Step Plan to Protect Your Mind and Strengthen Your Memory
  • The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health
  • The Sunfood Diet Success System
  • Women, Food, and Desire: Embrace Your Cravings, Make Peace with Food, Reclaim Your Body

“We can, and must, develop dialogue and relatedness with our body because it’s talking to us all the time. And please remember, your body loves you. It does everything it can to keep you alive and functioning. You can feed it garbage, and it will take it and digest it for you. You can deprive it of sleep, but still it gets you up and running next morning. You can drink too much alcohol, and it will eliminate it from your system. It loves you unconditionally and does its best to allow you to live the life you came here for. The real issue in this relationship is not whether your body loves you, but whether you love your body. In any relationship, if one partner is loving, faithful and supportive, it’s easy for the other to take that person for granted. That’s what most of us do with our bodies. It is time for you to shift this, and working to understand your cravings is one of the best places to begin. Then you can build a mutually loving relationship with your own body.” 10 likes