Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness

Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  392 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Every year, healthcare costs increase while overall health decreases. This book offers insights into your relationship with food, nutritional theories, and holistic approaches to maximizing health.
Hardcover
Published October 1st 2007 by Integrative Nutrition Publishing (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Integrative Nutrition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Integrative Nutrition

VB6 by Mark BittmanThe Starch Solution by John A. McDougall21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart by Neal D. BarnardIntegrative Nutrition by Joshua RosenthalThe 80/10/10 Diet by Douglas N. Graham
My Healthy Options
4th out of 51 books — 9 voters
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieGetting Things Done by David AllenOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussOrchids by Lisa Jey Davis
Motivational and Self-Improvement Books
196th out of 597 books — 677 voters

More lists with this book...

seema patel
A noble effort, but in many ways just a "bound" version of an advertisement for the author's Integrative Nutrition institute in New York. I appreciate good advice in a book--that's why I buy the book; I don't appreciate the blatant attempt to sell yet another product besides the book. That's what newspapers & billboards are for. That said, three stars for the helpful advice to pay attention to one's cravings to observe from where in your body they actually stem; and another handful of small...more
Daniel
Institute Integrative Nutrition rocks - They're actually now giving away this book as a free download to kindle, ipad or just as a pdf to your computer. Visit http://bit.ly/FreeNutritionEbook to download it off their website.

My friend went through IIN's health coaching training program and said it changed her life and that this book was a big part of it. I was impressed when she sent me this link to download it for free and have been really enjoying it. It's cool that instead of just telling you...more
Anna
This book has life-changing potential for anyone who is thinking about the food they eat and how this basic elemental drive shapes us. The key to it all: bio-individuality. If you can accept that concept as an incontrovertible fact, they you're on your way to a life of balance, health and peace. LOVE this book.Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness
Kerry White
I have read a lot of holistic nutrition books over the past two years and this is hands down one of the best. In fact, I'd say this one and Kris Carr's books are musts for anyone who wants to get healthy. I loved the accessible writing style, clear and well-researched explanations and personal anecdotes that put everything into context. The exercises and discussions of primary food were also highlights for me. I am so glad this is the first book I finished in 2014!
Ruthie
If you want to improve your eating habits, this is the book for you. He nicely goes over each fad diet that America loves and states his problem with each one. All the while he offers suggestions on how to eat healthy foods and suggests that not any one way of eating is right for everyone. The main point of Integrative Nutrition is that food is only part of your nutrition, the rest is your surroundings and life. That seems obvious, but somehow many of us forget about it.
Chris

Its very refreshing to finally read a nutrition book that integrates all the most popular diets and combines it with some philosophy to effectively communicate the fact that we are all different so each diet would most certainly affect us individually in different ways. Great read.
Michelle
This was a great reminder that healthiness is more than just eating well and mindfully, but also includes spirituality, relationships, etc.
Margarita Ventura
Apr 13, 2011 Margarita Ventura is currently reading it
So far so good...
Anne
I can only give this four stars, because it is, after all, a diet book. I think Mr. Rosenthal would take exception to that, but that's what it is. Okay, maybe it's a "Lifestyle" book, but still.

His discussion of "primary food" (how our relationships, career, spirituality feed us) v. "secondary food" (the stuff you actually put in your mouth) is pretty interesting. However, much of the book reads like a big commercial for his elitist New Yorkese institute for integrative nutrition. I'm probably j...more
Erinina Marie
Integrative Nutrition by Joshua Rosenthal

This book is a wonderful read for anyone who is interested in improving how they treat their body. It breaks down the basic 'diets' out there and how each can be effective and/or damaging. But, it does not advocate any of them, nor deny any of their viability completely. The book is designed to help people begin to understand and listen to the messages their own body is telling them. While the author takes extraordinary leaps at times, without any scienti...more
Elisabeth
This book provides a pretty basic overview of holistic health and nutrition concepts. For someone who is already even somewhat familiar with these ideas, the majority of the book will seem repetitive. The writing quality is slightly subpar - some simple sentence structure errors and such - that I find quite distracting and frustrating when reading a published book of any kind. I gave it three stars because the ideas inspiring the book are good ones (there is no one diet that is right for everyon...more
Rebecca
I enjoyed Rosenthal's more holistic take on nutrition. The author's descriptions of primary foods (relationships, career, etc) vs secondary foods (what we actually eat) rang true and his acceptance of the positive aspects of many different nutritional theories was refreshing. This is a no guilt approach to nutrition with emphasis on listening to your body and being willing to experiment for yourself. The recipes weren't particularly useful, and I wasn't into the "case studies" (felt too much lik...more
Debra Brunk
As other reviewers have noted, there is nothing new here; however, it's a good overview of the current state of nutrition/diet all in one place. I hada two issues with the book. First, although the author mentions multiple times that everyone's body is different and diets must differ, the examples he provides of his life come across as the 'right' way to go. Second, the book is an advertisement for the author's school, IIN. I appreciate that I received the book free of charge from IIN, but I thi...more
Katie
Read this to start at IIN!
Summer Bock, Holistic Nutrition & Herbs
This book came to me during one of my final papers I was writing for my bachelor's degree. I was writing about the path to healing and how to shift the mindset to adding good things in and letting them crowd out the unneeded junk without even trying. This book expertly articulated everything I had been trying to say for months. Less than a year later, I was at this man's school in NYC acquiring my certification in Holistic Health Counseling. I recommend this book to everyone. It changed my life.
Tamara Tamburro
I'm off and running, started the holistic health counseling program last week. The book is a great reference for holistic nutrition. I love the idea of learning about all the different nutritional approaches to health and being encouraged to find out what works best for me. One type of diet may not work for everyone, we are all unique. It's a great launching board for the program or for anyone wanting to find out more about the vastly under appreciated world of whole foods and well being.
Heather
I picked up this book last spring to critique IIN and see if it was a school I could get on board with - I wasn't expecting to be blown away by the theories and ideas in this book. The thing is, nothing is mind-blowing about the theories, and some are just, plain common sense. But it takes a bit of a paradigm shift to see health as a holistic issue. Joshua does a good job breaking it down and ushering the reader into this new way of thinking.
Gisela Claveria
I am on a recent health kick and, though I bought this book over the summer, finally decided to read it this Fall. It was a really good intro to healthy eating and even though it is full of common sense habits we should all have, the book somehow puts it all into perspective. My husband is reading it now, and I am waiting for him to finish it so I can read it again more carefully. Also has a few healthy recipes in the back.
Studio
No, we definitely do not live by bread alone - some of us might do well letting the basket pass us by entirely. Nourish your entire being with so much more than just the meals you enjoy, and take smart decisions based on your own bio-individuality. Thank you so much Joshua!
Angie
Rosenthal's concrete tips on diet boiled down to common sense. And the rest of his philosophy was not grounded in science.

But when he asserted that people start to look and behave like the animals they eat... he lost all credibility.

Don't waste your time.
Adrienne R.
I love Joshua's wisdom about food. I graduated from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and a lot of what I learned was based on information from this book. It's a wonderful resource for me as I teach and make others aware of nutrition as a foundation of life :)
Amanda
Jun 13, 2008 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amanda by: Annette
Not to sound overly dramatic, but for me this is a life-altering book. It discusses ways to approach both secondary nourishment (food) and primary nourishment (relationships, career, spirituality, etc.). It's been a wonderful tool for me.
Alexandra Morrison
Wonderful overview of nutrition and what it really means when it comes too our food and bodies - and mind. Also provides outlines of various diets - key theme is that not one diet works for everyone. Find what works for you as an individual.
Norene
Learn the truth about food corporations, pharmaceutical companies and obesity. Explore the connection between food, sexuality, spirituality and work. Discover why your body craves certain foods and why you should listen to those cravings.
Maysa
He lost me when trying to explain that you receive spiritual energy from food. And of course, organic foods have much more energy than non-organic. I think there are more convincing arguments in support of organic foods.
Deb
The founder of my school and his approach to health through nutrition as well as fitness, relationships, career, balance and spirituality. Integrative ;-) and interesting--written in an empowering, easy to understand way.
Ana Hernandez
Great read for demystifying what really feeds you and how all those things connect. Great chapter on cravings. Helped me lose a bunch of weight and keep most of it off for years. Just reading it again.
Kat
I downloaded this free e book. Filled with dubious information which is presented as fact and supported by nothing but opinion and anecdote. The more you read, the more boring it becomes. Not worth finishing.
Sarah Therese
Amazing over look at nutrition theories, and the food and pharmaceutical industry. Very educational, interesting and gives you a great new perspective on how to eat and treat yourself.
Kirstin Nice
One of my favorite books on health in a holistic sense. Provides easy suggestions for improvement and gives a point of view that just makes sense. Highly recommend.
  • Food and Healing
  • The Sunfood Diet Success System
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding Your Immunity
  • The Spectrum: A Scientifically Proven Program to Feel Better, Live Longer, Lose Weight, and Gain Health
  • Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition
  • The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health
  • Thrive Diet
  • Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects
  • Green Smoothie Magic - 132] Delicious Green Smoothie Recipes That Trim and Slim
  • Healthy Aging
  • The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth about What You Should Eat and Why
  • Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes Without Drugs
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
  • The Ultra Mind Solution: Automatically Boost Your Brain Power, Improve Your Mood and Optimize Your Memory
  • Clean
  • Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself
  • The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions--Today
The Integrative Nutrition Journal Integrative Nutrition (Third Edition): Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness Integrative Nutrition Integrative Nutrition: Your Guide to a Happier, Healthier Life The Energy Balance Diet

“We can, and must, develop dialogue and relatedness with our body because it’s talking to us all the time. And please remember, your body loves you. It does everything it can to keep you alive and functioning. You can feed it garbage, and it will take it and digest it for you. You can deprive it of sleep, but still it gets you up and running next morning. You can drink too much alcohol, and it will eliminate it from your system. It loves you unconditionally and does its best to allow you to live the life you came here for. The real issue in this relationship is not whether your body loves you, but whether you love your body. In any relationship, if one partner is loving, faithful and supportive, it’s easy for the other to take that person for granted. That’s what most of us do with our bodies. It is time for you to shift this, and working to understand your cravings is one of the best places to begin. Then you can build a mutually loving relationship with your own body.” 7 likes