Start by marking “Insomnia” as Want to Read:
Insomnia

Insomnia

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  86,394 ratings  ·  1,736 reviews
Ralph Roberts, a sus setenta años y tras la muerte de su mujer, siente que su vida se acaba. ¿Es acaso posible que su reciente viudez, unida a un persistente insomnio, sea la causa de esa nueva sensibilidad visual que, poco a poco, le permite ver el más allá de las personas? A Ralph le preocupa este hecho, no menos que el súbito e inexplicable comportamiento, irracional y ...more
Published February 28th 2005 by Debolsillo (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Insomnia, please sign up.

P.W. James I haven't read the Dark Tower series, and I've nearly finished Insomnia. It's easy to understand and I don't think you'd get much more out of the book…moreI haven't read the Dark Tower series, and I've nearly finished Insomnia. It's easy to understand and I don't think you'd get much more out of the book if you read the Dark Tower series first, anyway. I think there is a mention of a certain character, but that's about it. (less)
The Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingMisery by Stephen KingSalem's Lot by Stephen King
Best of Stephen King
27th out of 119 books — 2,410 voters
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingWar and Peace by Leo TolstoyHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Thickest Books Ever
61st out of 683 books — 2,192 voters

More lists with this book...

Bill Harrington
If you find yourself with an afternoon to kill...read a magazine. If, however, you need to occupy yourself on a voyage to Mars, pick up "Insomnia."

It's long.

It is, however, quite good.

"Insomnia" begins as Ralph Roberts, a pleasant, not-too-cantankerous gentleman in his 70s, watches his beloved wife taken from him by cancer. Shortly after her death, he begins to experience "early waking" insomnia. Each night, it seems, he wakes earlier than the one before. Soon, he is awake all night.

In the deep
Rachael
Nov 24, 2007 Rachael rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adults
This book is not for everyone. For one its over 700 pages long. Another reason is that it deals with what some people say is uncomfortable topics:abortion, mental illness, domestic abuse and the afterlife and possible alternate worlds.

Another reason why this book is unique and different from other books is that the hero is a regular joe who happens to be in his 70's!

I loved this book. It took my mind to a place where few books can take me. I was not here reading the book-I was in Derry, Maine w
Steve
I saw somewhere that Insomnia is considered by some to be one of King's "problem" books. I'm not sure what's meant by that tag, though for me the "problem" eventually would become that I didn't think of the book as a horror novel. It started out strongly, with a likable 70 year old everyman, Ralph Roberts, adjusting to life without his beloved wife. King's focus on aging and loneliness is as good as anything I've read by him. And deftly slipped in, a hint of the supernatural and coming doom, as ...more
Edward Lorn
Apr 08, 2015 Edward Lorn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: King fans
Recommended to Edward by: Mom
Prefatory Matters: I lost a twenty-year-old book during this reread. Most of you have the seen the picture of my gutted hardcover copy of Insomnia. If you haven’t I’ll include it at the end of this post as well. Total loss of containment, folks. About thirty pages loosed themselves from the glue and became individual souls. I have a 284 page section, and another section of about 400 pages, and a little bit in the middle that just said “Fuck it” and struck out for the territories. All in all, a s ...more
Jackie
Nov 05, 2008 Jackie rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to anyone needed a doorstop
Shelves: horror
I HATED it. Extremely long-winded and convoluted. Horrible, absolutely horrible. Probably his most pointless story ever.
This is when I knew Stephen King had lost his awesome writing powers and I can't really bring myself to read him again. Bad enough I had to suffer through Black House, and then this.
He really should have quit while he ahead and still an icon in the writing world. As for me, I'd rather slit my own wrists than suffer through another one of his awful novels ever again.
Ed
Jan 22, 2008 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has read, or is going to read, the Dark Tower novels
Nikki
I liked Insomnia a lot. I was quite surprised by the older protagonists, although of course there are things which compensate for their age. It wasn't a bad surprise, either. I thought it might be harder to relate to Ralph and Lois because of it, but it ended up not really being a problem at all. The most fascinating character for me, though, was Ed Deepneau. It was interesting how he kept the photo with him until the very end.

I loved a lot of the imagery that ran throughout this -- the auras, t
Jenny (Reading Envy)
At first, I enjoyed this book. I hadn't tackled a Stephen King book before. He really writes well but I found myself tempted to skip to the end. I had enough suspense and build-up; I just wanted to know what would end up happening to the man who couldn't sleep at night. :)

I think I will wait to read Stephen King again until I'm on vacation or on a cruise, somewhere where I have nothing to do but read! (And I'd love to hear which book is his "best").
HannahN
This is only the second Stephen King book I've ever read - the first was Pet Sematary, which I picked up on a whim. Pet Sematary was so good, it made me rabid for more Stephen King novels. I ran right out to the used bookstore and picked up Insomnia and The Stand - completely random choices, since I know nothing of Stephen King.

OH MY GOD THIS IS A BAD BOOK.

I pushed through and read the whole thing, because I kept thinking of Pet Sematary and how it haunted me after I finished reading it. I thoug
Katie pratt
Jul 29, 2008 Katie pratt rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a challange. not an easy read by far.
Stephen king... what can i say. You can not prepare yourself for what this book delivers. I love the way he combines semi disturbing story lines with metaphysical themes. this book discusses abortion, fate, choice, engergy, auras.... and i could go on. although its a hefty book if your looking for an adventure that truely picks at your brain, give it a try. I fully enjoyed it and even happier to be done with all my unanswered questions finally wrapped up. If your looking for a fast and easy read ...more
Christine
For anyone who has had a special 'grandfather' figure you may find the ending hard to accept... is it okay to admit that a King book got you teary at the end? ha!

Creepy small figures carrying siccors into peoples homes in the early pre-dawn hours visible to only a select few... Not including the dark tower series, this is one of my top 3 favorite books! If you enjoy the classic theme of good vs. evil, you'll enjoy this one.
Aaron
Dec 10, 2007 Aaron rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any King fan

This is a long one folks. And it starts a little slow. So if you need to be entranced from page 1, don't pick up this book. You might need more like 130 pages to become committed. But the one thing I did like about this novel is the fact that all the main characters are older than 60. It's a great change of pace from the standard character set. And once King gets going with the story, it gets pretty interesting. I'll also say that if any of you are Dark Tower fanatics, then you should read this
Michael
A big fat turd of fiction. Pass it.
★ Jess
Feb 28, 2011 ★ Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephan King fans
If anyone ever tells you they read this in less then a fortnight, they're most likely bullshitting you.
This is almost impossibly long, and I can *easily* see why some people hate and/or have given up less then half way through.
It reads like a TV drama show, that seems to go on forever, yet having nothing of much importance happen until the final few, jaw dropping, cliff-hanging, edge-of-your seat episodes.
That said, it is enjoyable for the duration of the book.
Even the crazy, weird, no-idea-w
Celine
You can say a lot of things about Stephen King, but not that he cannot tell one hell of a story. After reading It (over 1000 pages) I had to take a break from his work, but when I saw this title, I was interested enough to pick up another of his large tomes.

It is hard to describe what Insomnia is about without giving away major plot points. Basically, this is the story of seventy-something Ralph Roberts, who through his insomnia enters a world that is hidden from the human eye most of the time.

W
Zeezo
Reading this book was like going through a very remarkable , Bizarre journey, Or like falling in the rabbit hole like Alice.
It was completely filled with creativity, skilful writing, Exciting events, and very interesting topics.. To me the whole book from the beginning was interesting, but I never could've expected what was going to happen, it was unpredictable. All of the events were linked together, you begin with simplicity and go further into a very complicated Amazing world created by King.
Debbie
DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME ON YHIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is about an old man that has Insomnia and weird things are happening in his small town. He has insomnia for so long in this book half way through...I couldn't care less! It is not scary at all!

Once Stephen finally gets to the plot in this book....I couldn't care less! He goes off into "weird supernatural" stuff. I think he may have been medicated when he wrote this book. I swore I would finish it thogh because it was a huge book and Stephen King
11811 (Eleven)
This was a slow mover. Characters and dialogue and all that happy crappy were as good as any other King novel but the story kind of dragged. Fans of Duma Key may enjoy this one more than I did.
Lea
Yikes, this thing was a brick!

I think I missed this one when it was originally published due to a personal King boycott right around that time -- I'd just gotten so very very tired of getting sooooo excited there was a new King book out, only to wade through yet another bloated, overwritten doorstop.

Having tried a few newer books by King lately, I decided to give some of those older books a try. Sadly, this one is pretty much what I feared it would be -- so many terrific ideas bogged down with
Brian Schwartz
It took King almost 800 pages to tell his tale in INSOMNIA. The action seems to get going right away when, early in the story, Ralph confronts Ed Deepneau at a traffic accident. Ed insists the truck he hit is carrying the bodies of dead babies. Ed had been his friend and Ralph is struck by Ed’s seeming instantaneous insanity. It’s a well written scene and King grabs the reader’s attention with it.

Then, kING loses it with endless introspection, over explaining, and over development of characters.
Jay Smolka
A book that I noticed mainly because I myself am plagued by insomnia, it surprised and delighted...I mean, pleased, me. The story flowed quite well, and I loved the references to other stephen king books (if you read pet sematary, you will mutter, "heyyyy..." when the character notices a childs cap filled with blood). It really isnt much of a horror, more of a sci fi thriller, but it does have its "scary parts" (I like to think I have been desenseitized to horror due to my early and prolonged e ...more
Jane Stewart
My least favorite King book.

I could not finish. I read the first half and the epilogue. It was so boring. Too much description, ramblings, dreams, visions. The guy sees auras and things other people don’t see. The epilogue explained some major events. That was somewhat interesting, but not enough to make me want to read more. One of the things I love about King is his characters. I didn’t care about these characters. My favorite King books are Carrie, The Stand, and Rose Madder.

The narrator Eli
Wayne Barrett
I went in understanding that this book had a connection to The Dark Tower. It does. What I didn't know was the connection to 'It'. After all, the story takes place in Derry Maine.
I only gave this one a 3 star, and remember, 3 stars doesn't mean it was bad. It just wasn't that good. I've read 46 of Stephen King's novels and this is one of my least favorites. Sorry Stephen, this one just didn't do it for me.
Matt
Another Stephen King masterpiece! I really enjoyed the way this story tied in with so many of Kings other works especially the Dark Tower series.
Spigana
Līdz šim vienīgā Kinga grāmata, kas mani ir garlaikojusi (nu, vismaz brīžiem).
Courtnie

"It's a long walk back to Eden, sweetheart, so don't sweat the small stuff..."

Though this took me a month to read, it didn't feel like a trek at all. In fact, I quite enjoyed the journey. It's just that I could not breezily read it as I do most things - I had to devote a couple of hours here and there to read it in sizeable chunks. I can't tell you how many times I would think I could stop somewhere, only to peek at the next chapter to see that they were STILL at the diner, or on the roof, or
Emma Jones
This was excellent. It was one of King's best, I think. The thing that most impressed me about this book was actually its choice of main character. Old men are only very rarely given the chance to be novel protagonists, and after reading Insomnia I think they ought to be given that chance a bit more often. King and the characters of Insomnia both understand the limitations being old can give a protagonist, but it's handled pretty masterfully. Ralph is sensitive, self-sacrificing, and although he ...more
Graham
After a decade and a half of lean, pacy, horrifying reads, King changed track and went for the epic novel with IT. Since then, a decade of huge, unwieldy paperbacks have lined the shelves from the horror author, books that take a huge chunk of your life and are, by default, heavy going. INSOMNIA is definitely far from King’s best novel, but it has its moments which make it worthwhile. I’m not sure whether it’s his worst, as I haven’t finished them all yet, but it’s this novel’s long-winded natur ...more
Zeo
Somewhere within about a year before or after A God in Ruins and (bafflingly) thinking it was amazing (it is, but not the good sort of amazing), I finally followed a friend's repeated recommendations of King and read Nightmares and Dreamscapes. After hating that and wondering if it was that he was better at novels or if I just didn't like short stories enough, I gave It a shot and gave up a third of the way through. As a jaded, bitter teenage goth it was really easy to dislike King as popular, ...more
Insomnia by Stephen King - is it okay for teens? 11 33 Jul 18, 2015 05:41PM
Underrated and Under Appreciated King book? 21 177 Apr 29, 2015 11:19AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Insomnia by Steven King 1 18 Jan 03, 2015 06:23AM
Did Atropos and Pennywise know eachother? Or... DT related theory 1 41 Jun 06, 2014 01:15PM
Did it make you bored and sleepy? 29 205 Mar 17, 2014 06:29AM
Goodreads Librari...: Bookseller info instead of a book description 3 19 Jan 25, 2014 09:02PM
Read by Theme: Insomnia - Stephen King 8 45 Aug 07, 2012 07:10AM
  • Blaze
  • The Dark Tower, Volume 3: Treachery
  • Night Visions 5
  • Seize the Night (Moonlight Bay, #2)
  • Floating Dragon
  • Everville (Book of the Art #2)
  • The Collection
  • Sleepwalk
  • The Stephen King Universe: The Guide to the Worlds of the King of Horror
More about Stephen King...
The Shining (The Shining, #1) The Stand It Misery Carrie

“It's a long way back to Eden, Sweetheart, so don't sweat the small stuff.” 84 likes
“It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in a while exhilarating.” 46 likes