Start by marking “Insomnia” as Want to Read:
Insomnia

Insomnia

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  95,990 Ratings  ·  1,926 Reviews
Ralph Roberts, a sus setenta años y tras la muerte de su mujer, siente que su vida se acaba. ¿Es acaso posible que su reciente viudez, unida a un persistente insomnio, sea la causa de esa nueva sensibilidad visual que, poco a poco, le permite ver el más allá de las personas? A Ralph le preocupa este hecho, no menos que el súbito e inexplicable comportamiento, irracional y ...more
Published February 28th 2005 by Debolsillo (first published September 15th 1994)

The Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingMisery by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Best of Stephen King
27th out of 121 books — 2,652 voters
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingWar and Peace by Leo TolstoyHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Thickest Books Ever
67th out of 781 books — 2,400 voters

More lists with this book...

Bill Harrington
Apr 25, 2008 Bill Harrington rated it really liked it
If you find yourself with an afternoon to kill...read a magazine. If, however, you need to occupy yourself on a voyage to Mars, pick up "Insomnia."

It's long.

It is, however, quite good.

"Insomnia" begins as Ralph Roberts, a pleasant, not-too-cantankerous gentleman in his 70s, watches his beloved wife taken from him by cancer. Shortly after her death, he begins to experience "early waking" insomnia. Each night, it seems, he wakes earlier than the one before. Soon, he is awake all night.

In the deep
Rachael
Nov 24, 2007 Rachael rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adults
This book is not for everyone. For one its over 700 pages long. Another reason is that it deals with what some people say is uncomfortable topics:abortion, mental illness, domestic abuse and the afterlife and possible alternate worlds.

Another reason why this book is unique and different from other books is that the hero is a regular joe who happens to be in his 70's!

I loved this book. It took my mind to a place where few books can take me. I was not here reading the book-I was in Derry, Maine w
Arah-Lynda
Sep 30, 2015 Arah-Lynda marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-said
It's crazy I know. I mean I am over three quarters of the way through this book but if I am being honest, the chances of my ever going back to finish it are just about nil.

Why you may ask and I guess the answer would be that I was never truly invested in the story or it's characters. In fairness it started out reasonably well and I did enjoy the camaraderie between Ralph and Lois but once the little bald doctors started making their appearance my interest level began to diminish quickly.

So way t
Steve
Dec 26, 2011 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I saw somewhere that Insomnia is considered by some to be one of King's "problem" books. I'm not sure what's meant by that tag, though for me the "problem" eventually would become that I didn't think of the book as a horror novel. It started out strongly, with a likable 70 year old everyman, Ralph Roberts, adjusting to life without his beloved wife. King's focus on aging and loneliness is as good as anything I've read by him. And deftly slipped in, a hint of the supernatural and coming doom, as ...more
Edward Lorn
Apr 08, 2015 Edward Lorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: King fans
Recommended to Edward by: Mom
Prefatory Matters: I lost a twenty-year-old book during this reread. Most of you have the seen the picture of my gutted hardcover copy of Insomnia. If you haven’t I’ll include it at the end of this post as well. Total loss of containment, folks. About thirty pages loosed themselves from the glue and became individual souls. I have a 284 page section, and another section of about 400 pages, and a little bit in the middle that just said “Fuck it” and struck out for the territories. All in all, a s ...more
Ruth Turner
Sep 12, 2015 Ruth Turner rated it really liked it

"You may not know it, but shape-changing is a time-honored custom in Derry.”

Audiobook – Narrated by – Eli Wallach – A good narration except for the background music. At times I couldn’t even hear Wallach’s voice, so in the end I gave up.

***

Ebook:

When I read Insomnia the first time, many years ago, I hated it. I hadn’t read The Dark Tower novels and knew next to nothing about them, so I missed the connections. This time, although I still haven’t read the DT series (except for The Gunslinger), I’m
Jackie
Nov 05, 2008 Jackie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to anyone needed a doorstop
Shelves: horror
I HATED it. Extremely long-winded and convoluted. Horrible, absolutely horrible. Probably his most pointless story ever.
This is when I knew Stephen King had lost his awesome writing powers and I can't really bring myself to read him again. Bad enough I had to suffer through Black House, and then this.
He really should have quit while he ahead and still an icon in the writing world. As for me, I'd rather slit my own wrists than suffer through another one of his awful novels ever again.
Ed
Jan 22, 2008 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has read, or is going to read, the Dark Tower novels
Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
Thouroughly enjoyable read BUT, as is sometimes the case with a King book, a little too wordy and over long. Would have flowed better if the first half of the book had been condensed by 300 pages or so. The second half if the book is where the story truly shines.

This book featured some new 'powers'. These powers where used in interesting ways. There was a bit of everything here, romance, action, horror and so on.

Now to the GREAT parts of the book. Those Dark Tower references! Wow! There are quit
Nikki
Nov 21, 2008 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
I liked Insomnia a lot. I was quite surprised by the older protagonists, although of course there are things which compensate for their age. It wasn't a bad surprise, either. I thought it might be harder to relate to Ralph and Lois because of it, but it ended up not really being a problem at all. The most fascinating character for me, though, was Ed Deepneau. It was interesting how he kept the photo with him until the very end.

I loved a lot of the imagery that ran throughout this -- the auras, t
HannahN
Dec 10, 2011 HannahN rated it did not like it
This is only the second Stephen King book I've ever read - the first was Pet Sematary, which I picked up on a whim. Pet Sematary was so good, it made me rabid for more Stephen King novels. I ran right out to the used bookstore and picked up Insomnia and The Stand - completely random choices, since I know nothing of Stephen King.

OH MY GOD THIS IS A BAD BOOK.

I pushed through and read the whole thing, because I kept thinking of Pet Sematary and how it haunted me after I finished reading it. I thoug
Katie pratt
Jul 29, 2008 Katie pratt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a challange. not an easy read by far.
Stephen king... what can i say. You can not prepare yourself for what this book delivers. I love the way he combines semi disturbing story lines with metaphysical themes. this book discusses abortion, fate, choice, engergy, auras.... and i could go on. although its a hefty book if your looking for an adventure that truely picks at your brain, give it a try. I fully enjoyed it and even happier to be done with all my unanswered questions finally wrapped up. If your looking for a fast and easy read ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Apr 24, 2007 Jenny (Reading Envy) rated it it was ok
Shelves: read06
At first, I enjoyed this book. I hadn't tackled a Stephen King book before. He really writes well but I found myself tempted to skip to the end. I had enough suspense and build-up; I just wanted to know what would end up happening to the man who couldn't sleep at night. :)

I think I will wait to read Stephen King again until I'm on vacation or on a cruise, somewhere where I have nothing to do but read! (And I'd love to hear which book is his "best").
Christine
Jun 08, 2007 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: king
For anyone who has had a special 'grandfather' figure you may find the ending hard to accept... is it okay to admit that a King book got you teary at the end? ha!

Creepy small figures carrying siccors into peoples homes in the early pre-dawn hours visible to only a select few... Not including the dark tower series, this is one of my top 3 favorite books! If you enjoy the classic theme of good vs. evil, you'll enjoy this one.
★ Jess
Feb 28, 2011 ★ Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephan King fans
If anyone ever tells you they read this in less then a fortnight, they're most likely bullshitting you.
This is almost impossibly long, and I can *easily* see why some people hate and/or have given up less then half way through.
It reads like a TV drama show, that seems to go on forever, yet having nothing of much importance happen until the final few, jaw dropping, cliff-hanging, edge-of-your seat episodes.
That said, it is enjoyable for the duration of the book.
Even the crazy, weird, no-idea-w
Aaron
Dec 10, 2007 Aaron rated it liked it
Recommends it for: any King fan

This is a long one folks. And it starts a little slow. So if you need to be entranced from page 1, don't pick up this book. You might need more like 130 pages to become committed. But the one thing I did like about this novel is the fact that all the main characters are older than 60. It's a great change of pace from the standard character set. And once King gets going with the story, it gets pretty interesting. I'll also say that if any of you are Dark Tower fanatics, then you should read this
11811 (Eleven)
Jan 09, 2015 11811 (Eleven) rated it liked it
This was a slow mover. Characters and dialogue and all that happy crappy were as good as any other King novel but the story kind of dragged. Fans of Duma Key may enjoy this one more than I did.
Dianne
Feb 14, 2016 Dianne rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
This story about a town involved in a conflict over the issue of abortion has several elderly friends facing death. Some of them are taken by cancer; all of them are friends who are aware of any out of the ordinary activity in town. A few of them seem to be able to thrive and even to become more youthful. The more fanatic of the anti-abortionists have labelled them Centurions. I don't choose to read books with a supernatural theme yet Insomnia had me hooked from the beginning. The concept of col ...more
Michael
Apr 04, 2009 Michael rated it did not like it
A big fat turd of fiction. Pass it.
Santiago
Insomnia es un libro diferente a lo que se suele leer, primero porque generalmente el protagonista no está jubilado ni es alguien con problemas para dormir, en este caso se dan las dos cosas.

Nuestro protagonista se llama Ralph y es una persona que tiene serios problemas para dormir, a lo largo del libro estos problemas se van acrecentando pero como él pierde la capacidad de dormir empieza a ganar otras como una percepción de las cosas que las personas normales no pueden ver.

Este libro trata de t
Chrissa Vasileiou
Η ιστορία είναι αναμφίβολα ενδιαφέρουσα και πρωτότυπη.Για μια ακόμα φορά,ο King αποκαλύπτει το μεγάλο εύρος της σκέψης του,την ατέλειωτη φαντασία του και τη ζηλευτή ικανότητά του να πλάθει ολόκληρους παράλληλους κόσμους,με έναν τρόπο που γίνεται απόλυτα πιστευτός από τον αναγνώστη.
Επίσης,ως άτομο που υποφέρω ανά διαστήματα από αϋπνίες,δεν μπόρεσα να μην συμπονέσω τον κακομοίρη τον Ραλφ.Ευτυχώς δεν έχω φτάσει σε σημείο να κοιμάμαι μονάχα 2 ώρες κάθε νύχτα,αλλά όπως και να 'χει,έχει την ολοκληρωτι
Celine
Jan 06, 2011 Celine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
You can say a lot of things about Stephen King, but not that he cannot tell one hell of a story. After reading It (over 1000 pages) I had to take a break from his work, but when I saw this title, I was interested enough to pick up another of his large tomes.

It is hard to describe what Insomnia is about without giving away major plot points. Basically, this is the story of seventy-something Ralph Roberts, who through his insomnia enters a world that is hidden from the human eye most of the time.

W
zeez
Nov 27, 2012 zeez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stephen-king
Reading this book was like going through a very remarkable , Bizarre journey, Or like falling in the rabbit hole like Alice.
It was completely filled with creativity, skilful writing, Exciting events, and very interesting topics.. To me the whole book from the beginning was interesting, but I never could've expected what was going to happen, it was unpredictable. All of the events were linked together, you begin with simplicity and go further into a very complicated Amazing world created by King.
Debbie
Mar 11, 2009 Debbie rated it did not like it
DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME ON YHIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is about an old man that has Insomnia and weird things are happening in his small town. He has insomnia for so long in this book half way through...I couldn't care less! It is not scary at all!

Once Stephen finally gets to the plot in this book....I couldn't care less! He goes off into "weird supernatural" stuff. I think he may have been medicated when he wrote this book. I swore I would finish it thogh because it was a huge book and Stephen King
Kinksrock
This book started out well and seemed to be an examination of a man's progress as he becomes tortured by steadily worsening insomnia. Halfway through, as in "Rose Madder", a book I was unable to finish, King injects Greek mythology and seems determined to link this book to others of his novels, most prominently the "Dark Tower" series, of which I read the first and hated. Based on these connections, it is no wonder I came to dislike this book. However, the first half was interesting, so I am all ...more
Jane Stewart
My least favorite King book.

I could not finish. I read the first half and the epilogue. It was so boring. Too much description, ramblings, dreams, visions. The guy sees auras and things other people don’t see. The epilogue explained some major events. That was somewhat interesting, but not enough to make me want to read more. One of the things I love about King is his characters. I didn’t care about these characters. My favorite King books are Carrie, The Stand, and Rose Madder.

The narrator Eli
Gregor Xane
Apr 10, 2013 Gregor Xane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I really liked the fact that the protagonists in this book were around 70 years old. Folks in this age bracket seem to be underrepresented in popular fiction. And I believe King handled their characterizations well. I also liked the surreal feel to the supernatural aspects of this book. Oh, and, I was pleasantly surprised to find that this was a King book with a satisfying ending!

*Note: I'm not sure how enjoyable this book would be for those who have not read the Dark Tower series. It's closely
Siobhan
My relationship with Stephen King books is very much an up and down thing. I believe he is the only author I have given every single rating to, with his books ranging from the dreaded one star to the glorious five stars. I’m not quite sure how he manages to go from one extreme to the other, yet he does.

For me, Insomnia is one of his middle of the road books. I find there is often an imbalance between his writing style and whether or not the story manages to deliver. With this one, we have the wr
Lea
Yikes, this thing was a brick!

I think I missed this one when it was originally published due to a personal King boycott right around that time -- I'd just gotten so very very tired of getting sooooo excited there was a new King book out, only to wade through yet another bloated, overwritten doorstop.

Having tried a few newer books by King lately, I decided to give some of those older books a try. Sadly, this one is pretty much what I feared it would be -- so many terrific ideas bogged down with
Brian Schwartz
It took King almost 800 pages to tell his tale in INSOMNIA. The action seems to get going right away when, early in the story, Ralph confronts Ed Deepneau at a traffic accident. Ed insists the truck he hit is carrying the bodies of dead babies. Ed had been his friend and Ralph is struck by Ed’s seeming instantaneous insanity. It’s a well written scene and King grabs the reader’s attention with it.

Then, kING loses it with endless introspection, over explaining, and over development of characters.
Insomnia by Stephen King - is it okay for teens? 14 55 Dec 29, 2015 09:04AM
Underrated and Under Appreciated King book? 21 185 Apr 29, 2015 11:19AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Insomnia by Steven King 1 19 Jan 03, 2015 06:23AM
Did Atropos and Pennywise know eachother? Or... DT related theory 1 46 Jun 06, 2014 01:15PM
Did it make you bored and sleepy? 29 213 Mar 17, 2014 06:29AM
Goodreads Librari...: Bookseller info instead of a book description 3 22 Jan 25, 2014 09:02PM
Read by Theme: Insomnia - Stephen King 8 46 Aug 07, 2012 07:10AM
  • The Bachman Books
  • Night Visions 5
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance, #2
  • The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon: A Pop-up Book
  • Floating Dragon
  • Everville (Book of the Art #2)
  • Dark Rivers of the Heart
  • 48
  • Creepshow
  • The Stephen King Universe: The Guide to the Worlds of the King of Horror
More about Stephen King...

“It's a long way back to Eden, Sweetheart, so don't sweat the small stuff.” 94 likes
“It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in a while exhilarating.” 50 likes