Start by marking “Murder Boogies with Elvis (Southern Sisters, #8)” as Want to Read:
Murder Boogies with Elvis (Southern Sisters, #8)

Murder Boogies with Elvis (Southern Sisters #8)

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  1,764 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
Oversized, outrageous Mary Alice and her prim sister Patricia Anne have been looking forward to the gala benefit being staged to raise money for the restoration of Vulcan, Birmingham's ever-tarnishing unnatural wonder. And what a show it is, with a grand finale that has thirty sequined Elvis impersonators high-kicking in unison! From the front row, "Mouse" and "Sister" hav ...more
Published February 24th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Boogies with Elvis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Boogies with Elvis

Ed
Apr 10, 2015 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally got some time to do a little fun reading, and Murder Boogies With Elvis is my first book to read for pleasure in 2015. I really don't know when I'll get another chance to read my next fun book. At any rate, I borrowed this copy from our public library which culls out the old books, much to my chagrin. Maybe this one will survive. I hope so. I've read one other title in the Southern Sisters series a long while ago. This title is the last one. Anne George had a nice touch with presenting ...more
Janice
This is the last book in Anne George's Southern Sisters series, and I had put off reading it for some time; I just didn't want to say good-bye to Mary Alice and Patricia Ann, the wonderful sisters with whom I have spent many happy hours in this series. These are delightful stories, full of families who bicker and love, and also happen to fall into solving many a murder mystery along the way.
Jan
In this last book of the series (sighs), Sister and Mouse once again are witnesses to a murder when an Elvis impersonator is killed on stage at a fund raiser. Surely, this time they will not get involved, they do not even know the guy. But true to form, they are drawn into the mystery and Mouse is even arrested. They really don't have time for this either. Mouse is preparing for another grandchild and Sister is planning her own wedding (again).

I am going to miss this series. The books are uber-c
Marie
Oct 25, 2007 Marie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up thinking it was going to be more or less like Mrs. Pollifax & generally OK since it was written by the former poet laureate of AL... but it wasn't. The story got forgotten, or put aside, by either facts about Birmingham, AL, what the character was making her husband for dinner, or her sinus troubles. It was exciting as it sounds.
Luann
Jul 23, 2008 Luann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2008, adult
Murder Boogies with Elvis is quintessential Anne George: a quirky, very humorous southern murder mystery. I felt very much like eating a peanut butter and banana sandwich while reading this - probably because Patricia Anne eats one several times during the story.

Mary Alice and Patricia Anne are such fun characters, and I'm glad to have met them! Anne George has perfectly captured that sister relationship. I also really love the relationship Patricia Anne has with her husband. It's sad that we wi
Barb
Jun 07, 2011 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to put up this same review for the entire series. Instead of reading this set of books, I listened to the audiobook versions of the entire series. The series is about a couple of sisters that bumble onto murders and wind up solving them. I don't know if it's the books, or the reader that I liked the most. By the time I had finished a couple of the books, I felt like the reader and the characters were old friends. The stories are light, easy to follow, and not terribly complex, but to m ...more
Wendy
Jun 30, 2008 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this last book in the Southern Sisters Mystery series. I will miss reading about these wonderful sisters and their bumbling adventures. Nice ending to a wonderful, fun, witty series. I am sad that there will be no more murder mysteries for Mary Alice and Patricia Anne to stumble upon. Like the way that this one wrapped up and left us with some very happy endings for a wonderful group of characters.
Crystal
Jul 06, 2008 Crystal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I only read the first third of this book and I couldn't take it anymore! It was very clearly set in B'ham as the writer took up half the time talking about Vulcan's butt and "over the mountain" suburbs. I was just annoyed by the stereotypical "southerness" of it as well. Wasn't fun. Gave up. Got a new book. :)
Moon Stumpp
Feb 28, 2012 Moon Stumpp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the entire series of 8 books on audio so the books for me were like one very long book. So I will review the entire series. Listening to them on audio was a joy…I laughed myself silly a couple of times. Mouse and Sister’s adventures will put a smile on your face, no matter what age you are.
Cheryl Cooper
Jan 10, 2015 Cheryl Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe this is the last book in this series. I have really enjoyed reading these well written, humorous books.
Lynn
Jul 01, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny as usual. Good mystery beach read.
Denise Heath
Feb 04, 2017 Denise Heath rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read !!

Once again the sisters kept me entertained! I love the way they talk about Alabama. Takes me back home again!
Nathalie S
Sep 19, 2014 Nathalie S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hey, y'all! This is one of my favorite set of characters---Southern sisters Mary Alice and Patricia Anne from Birmingham, Alabama! They are polar opposites in physique, personality and temperament but they are dynamite together and I like that they are close to my 50+ age bracket. Makes it much more fun and relatable. Reader Ruth Ann Phimister deserves huge kudos for bringing these fun southern belles to life. I just luuuuv me some southern accent and was sorely disappointed when I headed to Tex ...more
Beth Haren
Anne George does a phenomenal job at capturing the classic southern culture. I absolutely love the dialogue and have laughed uproariously because, there are so many ways it reminds me of people in my family.

Problems I had with the whole series? The clues and mystery was completely arbitrary. Everything was just arbitrary about the mysteries. Nothing is logical. You follow and follow and put pieces of ether, and then out of left field random suspect that wasn't even discussed is the killer. Make
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Peggy
Nov 01, 2016 Peggy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I really wanted to like this book as I have a sister and I am looking for another cozy mystery type series. Unfortunately, I found this story to have way too many characters. I never could figure out whose children were whose and which ones were stepchildren. I also was confused about the use of Sister instead of Mary Alice or Patricia Anne and I would have to pause to figure out which one was talking and which one was Sister.
The plot was secondary and simplistic. The ending was a quick wrap u
Ann aka Iftcan
Oct 02, 2007 Ann aka Iftcan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Unfortunately this is the last of the Southern Sisters novels, due to the untimely death of Ann George. I thoroughly enjoyed all 6 of the books and mourned that her career was cut short. She had a true talent for showing Southern life without making it too much of a parody.

In this book, the Elvis in question is actually a group of impersonators (or tribute artists, if you want to be polite.)

One of the troup is murdered on stage while performing in front of a packed house at a charity affair, an
Peggy Sinden
Jun 22, 2013 Peggy Sinden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne George sure knows how to make a storyline personal and comfortable to the end. The relationship of the two sisters, Mary Alice and Patricia Anne are so likable and real you want to finish the book in one setting. Bring Elvis into the mix only made the even more Southern with just the right touch. Mary Alice has so far found the man of her dreams and the story comes to the end with a wedding and she and Virgil driving off for a RV honeymoon. Or was that her and Virgil - oh my, where is Patri ...more
Susan
Feb 19, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Alice is engaged (again!) and wants her family to meet Virgil's. Since his son and son-in-law are both Elvis impersonators, Mary Alice and sister Patricia Anne find themselves at a charity gala, enjoying the spectacle of a thirty-Elvis chorus line--until one member crashes into the orchestra pit. Next day, they learn that he was murdered--and that no one on stage admits to knowing who he was. It's a stretch for the two sisters to get involved in the investigation, but never fear--they do. S ...more
Linda Day
Just needed a nonsense book and found a couple in books by Anne George, this being one of them ! Light silly reading about two sisters about my age, one a retired school teacher, and the other a flambouyant and wealthy widow having married 3 different men all MUCH older than herself. They, like Jessica Fletcher of "Murder she wrote", seem to show up someplace and shortly thereafter, so does a dead body or two !

I very much enjoyed my time with Patricia Anne and Mary Alice !

These are two in the Ge
Melody
Oct 10, 2016 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2 sisters living in Alabama witness a murder of an Elvis impersonator at a concert, along with the entire audience. Little do they know their close connection to the suspects. As a rule I don't care for stories with endings out of know where but this was an excellent read with very interesting character I would be interested in knowing. I shall go and look for the previous books in the series.
Teresa
Sep 13, 2012 Teresa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very shallow story, with supposedly exciting events topped one on top of the next to add content. It was so contrived and not at all entertaining even, in my opinion. I think this is supposed to be a series for the more middle aged woman, but as a middle aged woman it rather offended me, what with the premise we are imagined to be so shallow and lacking in our lives as these two "investigators". I won't read another of these books.
Deborah
Aug 30, 2011 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series. If you've ever lived in the southern U.S. you can truly appreciate all the "southerness" of it all. The only bad thing about the series is - no more books forthcoming as the author passed away in 2001. I still heartedly recommend the entire Southern Sisters series by this author. Quirky characters and situations that will have you laughing. Definitely a must for cozy lovers.
Odetta
Mar 23, 2011 Odetta rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Odetta by: Talking Books
This wasn't even "okay." It was downright boring. I snagged this from Marie's review:

Talking Books keeps sending these books & we send them back unread (listened to). The only reason I decided to give this a try was the title. I like Elvis.
Chana
Funny dialogue and thought processes. Two sisters in their 60's are accidental amateur sleuths. They go to watch a community fundraiser performance of, among other acts, Elvis impersonators. One of the Elvis's falls down dead into the orchestra pit, and guess which two sisters happen to be sitting in the front row. And Elvis didn't just have a heart attack, it is, wait for it, murder! What puts this above the usual two star cozy mystery is that it is sometimes laugh out loud funny.
Shelley
I've lived outside of Birmingham for eight years (and since moved to another state) and read one of Anne George's other books while living there in a book club I was in, so when I saw this book at a library sale, I picked it up. Anne George isn't going to blow you away with her writing skills, instead you'll learn about Birmingham and some sights, learn about the southern ways and have a good laugh in the meantime while all at the same time trying to figure out "who did it".
Gramy
This is another cozy mystery laced with humor by Anne George. The lives of Mary Alice, Sister, and Patricia Anne, Mouse, are exploding with additions in this last book. For them, life will continue to go on . . . Unfortunately, for Anne George it didn't work out that way. It's the end of another great series, cut short by the death of a great author.
Sharon
Mar 19, 2016 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Loved the whole series. I wish there were 20 more books to it. Funny dialogue, good story lines, and wonderful friendly characters. I will miss reading about Mary Alice and Mouse. I want to know how they and their families are doing. I want to see how Mouse reacted when her new grand daughter was born. I miss everything about this perfect cozy series.
Shellie
Oct 25, 2016 Shellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll miss Mouse, and Sister.

I've loved the whole series. I wish it would go on and on. This series is the book equivalent of comfort food. Well written,so entertaining. Has given me many hours of joy and laughter. I own all the others in both the Kindle,and Audible editions. This is the only one that isn't at Audible,hopefully will soon will be.
Kay
Apr 01, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I'm so sad to know this is the last book in the series since Anne George died in 2001. They were cute little 'fillers' about two sisters that keep falling over dead bodies [literally!]. I was able to pin point the murderer early on in this book [strictly guesswork on my part] and I don't remember figuring it out in the other books.
  • The Maggody Militia (Arly Hanks, #10)
  • A Groom with a View (Jane Jeffry, #11)
  • How to Murder Your Mother-In-Law (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #5)
  • Hearse of a Different Color (Hitchcock Sewell Mysteries, #2)
  • Bonefire of the Vanities (Sarah Booth Delaney #12)
  • Death on the River Walk (Henrie O, #5)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • Southern Fatality (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree (The Darling Dahlias #1)
  • The Alpine Recluse (Emma Lord, #18)
  • Sunshine and Shadow (Benni Harper, #10)
Anne Carroll George was an American author and poet. She was Alabama's 1994 state poet. George died in 2001 of heart surgery complications.

Anne George was an Agatha Award-winner and a former Alabama State Poet. She was a cofounder of the Druid Press, and a regular contributor to literary and poetry publications. She was nominated for several awards, including the Pulitzer for a book of verse entit
More about Anne George...

Southern Sisters (8 books)
  • Murder on a Girls' Night Out (Southern Sisters, #1)
  • Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters, #2)
  • Murder Runs in the Family (Southern Sisters, #3)
  • Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters, #4)
  • Murder Gets a Life (Southern Sisters, #5)
  • Murder Shoots the Bull (Southern Sisters, #6)
  • Murder Carries a Torch (Southern Sisters, #7)

“They” 0 likes